You are not logged in.

Real world difference between 175mm & 180mm cranks?

#1 2011-10-05 8:46am

GTLover
Honkey straight going donkey
Bikes: 4
Website

Real world difference between 175mm & 180mm cranks?

Could someone please tell me what difference I will feel between the two as far as racing is concerned? Reason I'm asking is that I usually ride 175 (not really sure why, just "always did"), but I recently acquired a nice set of 180's. I would hate to go to all the trouble to sell/rebuy another set just to get the 175's, so I'm seriously considering running the 180's. So, is there a chart out there that shows rider height, leg inseam, or some other factor as to why you run a certain length vs. another? I'll be using 44/15 gearing btw. Thanks for your help.

Looking for an OG yellow Kuwahara laidback post for my Bravo. Any condition. PM me if you have one.
I need some chrome Hoffman Love Handles, PM me if you have some for sale/trade. Hoffman Easy Chair seat too!
Brothers on my jock for the way I ride a piece of steel...
So what cha saying?

#2 2011-10-05 8:57am

Godzilla
Pro Member

Re: Real world difference between 175mm & 180mm cranks?

You can definitely feel the difference.  I find a lot more speed out of 180's

"Everybody has an emergency between the paypal transaction and the post office." - TentLover

#3 2011-10-05 9:01am

GTLover
Website

Godzilla wrote:

You can definitely feel the difference.  I find a lot more speed out of 180's

Due to the extra length applying more leverage/torque I suppose? Are they much harder to get started out of the gate?

Looking for an OG yellow Kuwahara laidback post for my Bravo. Any condition. PM me if you have one.
I need some chrome Hoffman Love Handles, PM me if you have some for sale/trade. Hoffman Easy Chair seat too!
So what cha saying?

#4 2011-10-05 9:10am

Oaktown Massive
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

i go by feel, but i'm sure someone knows of a chart out there.  i had 180's on my Redline, but with the 18.5" top tube it felt like i was climbing a giant staircase while riding, especially going up hills.  i felt over-extended at the apex of the power stroke, and it made the ride feel a little out of control at times.  i changed down to 175's and it made a huge difference - it was surprising to me the difference those 5mm made.  i put the 180's on my Race Inc (with a 20" top tube) and she rides great, with none of the feel of the 180's on my Redline.

don't know if this helps, but i just did this change-up a few days ago and it was surprising to me.  i've never changed my cranks, so to experience the size difference on both my rides was interesting.  i didn't expect it to be as noticeable as it is.  good luck!

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7            1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#5 2011-10-05 9:15am

Axel10
BMX Archaeologist

To add a little to this topic - I found this site that explains a bit about the theory and has a chart

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/cranks.html

I will be using 180s for the time on a new flatland build I am working on. Why? Because that is what I bought tongue

'El Derecho de Vivir en Paz'

#6 2011-10-05 9:16am

scarfish
Say no to AIDS

i've always wondered this myself. i don't race, just cruise the hood. alot of hills around here. i'm assuming the 180's would be easier going up hills. would allow you to throw more body weight into peddling. but would be a hurtful when trying to gain speed on flat ground. your legs would have to move more to gain the same rotation. i could be wrong.

#7 2011-10-05 9:17am

GTLover
Website

Oaktown Massive wrote:

i go by feel, but i'm sure someone knows of a chart out there.  i had 180's on my Redline, but with the 18.5" top tube it felt like i was climbing a giant staircase while riding, especially going up hills.  i felt over-extended at the apex of the power stroke, and it made the ride feel a little out of control at times.  i changed down to 175's and it made a huge difference - it was surprising to me the difference those 5mm made.  i put the 180's on my Race Inc (with a 20" top tube) and she rides great, with none of the feel of the 180's on my Redline.

don't know if this helps, but i just did this change-up a few days ago and it was surprising to me.  i've never changed my cranks, so to experience the size difference on both my rides was interesting.  i didn't expect it to be as noticeable as it is.  good luck!

That info helps alot, thanks! I'm in the same boat in that I always had 175 on my smaller TT bikes. The one I'm thinking of putting the 180's on has a 19.5 TT, so it sounds like they will work great.

So what cha saying?

#8 2011-10-05 9:30am

Oaktown Massive
Museum Addict
Website

GTLover wrote:

Oaktown Massive wrote:

That info helps alot, thanks! I'm in the same boat in that I always had 175 on my smaller TT bikes. The one I'm thinking of putting the 180's on has a 19.5 TT, so it sounds like they will work great.

180's on a 19.5 TT sounds like it would work for me... it's all about feel.  the 180's on my RI provide more leverage and feel great - the bike overall feels faster, and the extra torque needed at the start was easy to get used to.  on my second ride, it wasn't an issue... but it wasn't in a race situation.  it's been years since i raced, so i cant help you there.

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7            1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#9 2011-10-05 9:33am

GTLover
Website

Axel10 wrote:

To add a little to this topic - I found this site that explains a bit about the theory and has a chart

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/cranks.html

I will be using 180s for the time on a new flatland build I am working on. Why? Because that is what I bought tongue

Thanks for that link. I just got done shoving a book in my crotch. And now my book smells funny.......hmm

So what cha saying?

#10 2011-10-05 1:21pm

BMX for life

There's a huge difference.  180's  are way faster and torkier if you got the leg length and strength.    Only draw back is your toes may hit the ground more often so you have to remember to keep your bike more level when pedaling out of a turn so you don't scrape.

#11 2011-10-05 1:28pm

timt
Expert

My inseam suggests 175's. That's what I rode all summer. I just switched to 180's and I like them much better.  If they are too long your peddling will seem choppy when trying to ride fast. That's my take at least.

#12 2011-10-05 1:35pm

jerseybob
Expert

you can run a little more gear with the 180's,or run the same ratio and be quicker. same principle as a car,motorcycle or anything else.  more torque,less gear ratio required.

they do push your knees up a little more when riding,and can make a small frame feel worse. usally raise seat too like 10 mm. to compensate

I have everything from 165's to 190's on bikes.  the online chart for me says 177. 175's work pretty good  for me.

#13 2011-10-05 2:08pm

cwstnsko
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

If you can spin 180s, the advantage of the extra torque out of the gate is significant.  If you can't spin 180s without getting choppy, you'll have to go with masher gearing (higher) and that will cancel out the benefit out of the hole.

General rule of success in BMX racing: run the longest cranks you can spin, but no longer!

I run 180's on the bikes I cruise around on and 175s on my race bikes. On the track 180's get choppy and I get unstable, 175s feel much better.  My inseam in pants is only 29", if your inseam is 31" or more, I would expect 180's to be fine for most people.

Chris W
MT-01 1978 - 1984
WA01 2011 - 2014
MB01 2015 - 2018
AZ01 2019 -

#14 2011-10-05 3:27pm

spiderpig22
Made in Taiwan

175s give you a little more clearance if you run pegs. if you are use to  175 and switch to  180 you may clip your heels. on the pegs.that is what happens to me so i switched back to 175.

It may be "rare",but its only worth what someone will pay!

#15 2011-10-05 5:20pm

looptailnut
I luv Robk for hosting the build off

.197 inches difference. That's about an 1/8 of an inch, and really a lb of tire pressure makes more of a difference than that. With theory you can always pick the fly poop out of the pepper, but what's the use? Run what you got

Lets Go Steelers, Pens, and Bucs!!!!

#16 2011-10-05 10:32pm

K-frame
Expert
Bikes: 8

Here is an artical from bike guru Sheldon Brown explaining the answer to your question: http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

Wanted: A Blue Diamond Back, or IRC Z-1 Tire; or a Black Set, of Either Brand/ Yellow Nylon Diamond Back Frame Pad or Cover

#17 2011-10-05 10:43pm

harlen
The Waco Kid
Bikes: 8
Website

I think its all about cadence. Longer crank slower cadence shorter faster.

I couldnt run 180s on my flatlander the pedals would hit the pegs. Good luck with the 180s.

46 year old New School BMX Rider
Old dog learning new tricks

#18 2011-10-06 6:18am

cwstnsko
Pro Member

Since the original question was specifically target at racing, then yes, the 5mm can and will make a difference.  After re-reading the original post, GTLover says he's going to run 44/15 gearing.  Unless you are running a serious downhill track, that is masher gearing not spinner gearing.  You'll probably want the 180's to help you get out of the gate with gearing that tall.  If you're a big powerful guy, then you should choose a good strong chain, not a cheap one and replace it on a regular basis.  Racing with long cranks, masher gears and a small freewheel put a lot of load on the chain.

Chris W
MT-01 1978 - 1984
WA01 2011 - 2014
MB01 2015 - 2018
AZ01 2019 -

#19 2011-10-06 9:41am

efil4a8ks
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

The difference is about 5mm .big_smile

WTB!!!!!......black cyclecraft frame pad with the box lettering

#20 2011-10-06 11:47am

GTLover
Website

cwstnsko wrote:

Since the original question was specifically target at racing, then yes, the 5mm can and will make a difference.  After re-reading the original post, GTLover says he's going to run 44/15 gearing.  Unless you are running a serious downhill track, that is masher gearing not spinner gearing.  You'll probably want the 180's to help you get out of the gate with gearing that tall.  If you're a big powerful guy, then you should choose a good strong chain, not a cheap one and replace it on a regular basis.  Racing with long cranks, masher gears and a small freewheel put a lot of load on the chain.

Yep, I'm talking about racing only. Not worried about FS bikes. What do you mean by "masher" & "spinner"? I haven't heard those terms before. As far as getting out of the gate, would 44/16 be better? How about overall 44/16 with the 180's?

So what cha saying?

#21 2011-10-06 11:49am

GTLover
Website

K-frame wrote:

Here is an artical from bike guru Sheldon Brown explaining the answer to your question: http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

I'm gonna take a look at that article. I read a bunch yesterday. Problem I have with most of the articles is this. Really great info overall, but the road bikes differ so much from bmx. Most of the time those guys are sitting down getting their full leg crank length. Us bmx'ers are standing the entire race.

So what cha saying?

#22 2011-10-06 11:54am

80sbikedude
AdminBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Bikes: 67
For Sale: 3
Website

ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily
If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"~~~Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water!

Hook 'Em Horns

#23 2011-10-06 12:24pm

cwstnsko
Pro Member

GTLover wrote:

cwstnsko wrote:

Yep, I'm talking about racing only. Not worried about FS bikes. What do you mean by "masher" & "spinner"? I haven't heard those terms before. As far as getting out of the gate, would 44/16 be better? How about overall 44/16 with the 180's?

The term spinner is used to describe riders with fast leg speed that can maintain smooth pedaling/riding with a high RPMs on the crankset.  Spinner gearing is usually lower than 44-16.
(43-16, 42-16, 44-17 etc.)

The term masher is used to describe riders who don't have the leg speed so they gear higher and try to use brute force at a slower RPM to achieve the same speed on the track.  Masher gearing is usually 45-16 and higher (46-16, 44-15 etc.)

All other factors being equal, lower gears and longer cranks will get you out of the gate quicker, but your top speed will be limited by your ability to spin fast enough to reach top speed.

44-16 with 175-180 cranks is classic BMX gearing which has been around for decades.  It's a great place to start, you can make adjustments from there. 

If you feel like you get "spun-out" without reaching full speed, then you might need to gear up or practice more smile

If you feel like your pedaling gets "choppy" like you aren't able to pedal fast in smooth circles, you might want to shorten your cranks. 

It sounds like you might be new to this, in which case, don't worry so much about your gearing or cranks.  Buy some good safety gear and take it easy on the track for a while until you get the feel of things and you start to develop some bike control skills big_smile  Adults starting out are usually able to go way faster than their bike handling skills will support.  The end result is usually a nasty crash and several weeks off the bike. 

A lot of guys come out to the track, assume it's all about pedaling, race a few times, crash hard once and never come back again.

Chris W
MT-01 1978 - 1984
WA01 2011 - 2014
MB01 2015 - 2018
AZ01 2019 -

#24 2011-10-06 6:27pm

Axel10
BMX Archaeologist

Good info Chris. Thanks.

cwstnsko wrote:

GTLover wrote:

cwstnsko wrote:

The term spinner is used to describe riders with fast leg speed that can maintain smooth pedaling/riding with a high RPMs on the crankset.  Spinner gearing is usually lower than 44-16.
(43-16, 42-16, 44-17 etc.)

The term masher is used to describe riders who don't have the leg speed so they gear higher and try to use brute force at a slower RPM to achieve the same speed on the track.  Masher gearing is usually 45-16 and higher (46-16, 44-15 etc.)

All other factors being equal, lower gears and longer cranks will get you out of the gate quicker, but your top speed will be limited by your ability to spin fast enough to reach top speed.

44-16 with 175-180 cranks is classic BMX gearing which has been around for decades.  It's a great place to start, you can make adjustments from there. 

If you feel like you get "spun-out" without reaching full speed, then you might need to gear up or practice more smile

If you feel like your pedaling gets "choppy" like you aren't able to pedal fast in smooth circles, you might want to shorten your cranks. 

It sounds like you might be new to this, in which case, don't worry so much about your gearing or cranks.  Buy some good safety gear and take it easy on the track for a while until you get the feel of things and you start to develop some bike control skills big_smile  Adults starting out are usually able to go way faster than their bike handling skills will support.  The end result is usually a nasty crash and several weeks off the bike. 

A lot of guys come out to the track, assume it's all about pedaling, race a few times, crash hard once and never come back again.

'El Derecho de Vivir en Paz'

#25 2011-10-06 8:10pm

hollywood23
Museum Addict

What about 175 drive arm and a 180 or the other way. Running a different sizes on each side.

Board footer