#51 2011-09-11 9:52am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Re: The Million Dollar Bmx Collection

mongooser1 wrote:

I am the owl... wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

Actually, yes it would. I personally don't care because I understand the respect side of it. But when a person makes the conscious decision to do something public, the public wants to know everything. My father was eccentric and a recluse. One day when I was 10 he decided to let the genie out of the bottle and it took about 2 seconds for the newspapers to start calling. He told them to eff off, then crawled back in his hole and lived the rest of his days doing what was important to him...without the spotlight that he didn't want or ask for.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

No, it doesnt. The story is the fact he has the bikes, not how he afforded them. How people make their money is no ones business, and has nothing to do with the story at hand.

if how I made my money was no ones business. the IRS wouldnt want to know where every cash deposit over 10 grand was coming from.rug   
Drug dealers would have badass stock portfolios.  it kind of does matter a little but. curiosity is a bitch

Except the government has nothing to do with this roll

I love dead people....

#52 2011-09-11 9:55am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

brutus143 wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

spyker wrote:

I bet Gary's collection is still bigger and more rare.

Don't bet on it. wink  Much of Jeff's stuff is in storage.  Also Jeff NEVER was out of BMX...he had the forsight to buy his collection for pennies on the dollar.  When I wasn't interested in that stuff and interested in cars he was buying that stuff when bike shops were throwing it in dumpsters.
I have been there and it is amazing and Jeff is one cool person, down to earth, and a person that is definitely not a know it all.  With all due respect to Gary-not even close...I have seen pix of Gary's place and mind you haven't been there but I would bet my last nickle that Jeff's is top's here just because of his longevity and his dedication to the history of it.

BTW the stuff he sells isn't his most of the time.

Did they really throw stuff away ot one time? Id love to hear his stories of how he tracked and picked up his stuff.

Probably wasn't rocket science....think about it.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls.  smile

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#53 2011-09-11 9:56am

eightyfivegt
Pro Member

Envy can be a bitch too. Everyone's welcome to ask Mr. Haney how he afforded it all and he's welcome to either tell or say "no comment". To me, asking would be really tasteless and low class. He has a beautiful collection there. Thankfully, I can remember when bike shops looked a little like that BITD. smile

Wanted: one copy of the last issue of BMX plus magazine!
Escaped from Detroit...and lived to tell about it!
Black Widows Central Florida Faction Ambassador

#54 2011-09-11 9:56am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro

I am the owl... wrote:

mongooser1 wrote:

I am the owl... wrote:

No, it doesnt. The story is the fact he has the bikes, not how he afforded them. How people make their money is no ones business, and has nothing to do with the story at hand.

if how I made my money was no ones business. the IRS wouldnt want to know where every cash deposit over 10 grand was coming from.rug   
Drug dealers would have badass stock portfolios.  it kind of does matter a little but. curiosity is a bitch

Except the government has nothing to do with this roll

Where do people come up with this. lol

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls.  smile

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#55 2011-09-11 10:12am

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

I think some are combining two different ideas.  Some are talking about the end results of Jeff's success and wealth, while others are talking about the journey.  The, "how did he get there".  I would be interested in the journey aspect.  I enjoy talking to successful people to learn how they became successful.  Do I want to know how much money Jeff Haney has- No.  Would I be interested in how he became successful- Yes.  It would be the same as his bike collection.  I wouldn't disrespect him by asking how much his collection is worth.  I would like to hear cool stories about how he acquired some of his collection.  Especially some of the more rare items.

In the end, it is nobody's business but Jeff's.  However, I know some really cool people that have shared their knowledge and experiences with me about their lives.  I am grateful to them because I have gained some valuable insight and information.

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#56 2011-09-11 10:12am

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 9
Website

Nothing wrong with wondering how someone who does what you would like to do affords it.  I try to learn as much as I can from every person I consider successful that I know.  Maybe people are curious about how he affords it because they would like to one day be in a similar place?  It's not one's right to know, but there's nothing wrong with asking.

Not everything is about jealousy and envy or posted in a negative way. 

Too many people around here are far too quick to jump on comments without need by always assuming the worst of people.

Last edited by FatGuy (2011-09-11 10:13am)

FatGuy
aka Nick @ Porkchop BMX, PM w/ any Pork related questions!

#57 2011-09-11 10:33am

RACEIT
Expert

Can anyone share some history on Jeff's involvement with the sport in the early years?
Was he a racer?
Or did he just have a Passion for BMX and later bought out closing down shops?

Edit...
I got interrupted while posting.

I am not interested in his job/career or income.
Just curious about his personal BMX history.

Super cool that someone has such a great collection.
So much history there!

Last edited by RACEIT (2011-09-11 10:51am)

RIP Autumn Pasquale

#58 2011-09-11 10:35am

route66
Pro Member26" The Original Cruiser Class
Bikes: 15

I want to see his 26ers ...

#59 2011-09-11 10:38am

BMX*Racer*1983
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/mikesbikes/007-35.jpg

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/new/sig2-1.jpg[/img]

-----If I Owe You Feedback Please LMK----- 

---R.I.P DAD I LOVE YOU 11/26/40 - 12/12/13--- It is what it is CUZ!!!

#60 2011-09-11 10:41am

Robcar
Expert

FatGuy wrote:

Nothing wrong with wondering how someone who does what you would like to do affords it.  I try to learn as much as I can from every person I consider successful that I know.  Maybe people are curious about how he affords it because they would like to one day be in a similar place?  It's not one's right to know, but there's nothing wrong with asking.

Too many people around here are far too quick to jump on comments without need by always assuming the worst of people.

Well said, But again some people need to argue over everything. Stupid. Who cares and yes, I am jealous.

"NOT A Pro Neck Expert"

#61 2011-09-11 10:45am

brutus
Expert
Bikes: 2

JS-44SDS wrote:

brutus143 wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

Don't bet on it. wink  Much of Jeff's stuff is in storage.  Also Jeff NEVER was out of BMX...he had the forsight to buy his collection for pennies on the dollar.  When I wasn't interested in that stuff and interested in cars he was buying that stuff when bike shops were throwing it in dumpsters.
I have been there and it is amazing and Jeff is one cool person, down to earth, and a person that is definitely not a know it all.  With all due respect to Gary-not even close...I have seen pix of Gary's place and mind you haven't been there but I would bet my last nickle that Jeff's is top's here just because of his longevity and his dedication to the history of it.

BTW the stuff he sells isn't his most of the time.

Did they really throw stuff away ot one time? Id love to hear his stories of how he tracked and picked up his stuff.

Probably wasn't rocket science....think about it.

What does rocket science have to do with throwing BMX stuff in dumpsters?

#62 2011-09-11 10:47am

brutus
Expert

Thats beyond cool!! What I wouldnt give for stuff I had when I was a kind!

#63 2011-09-11 10:53am

RACEIT
Expert

Thank you very much!
I need to go out and find that mag.

RIP Autumn Pasquale

#64 2011-09-11 11:00am

brutus
Expert

RACEIT wrote:

Thank you very much!
I need to go out and find that mag.

YEah, where do they sell them? Gorcery stores?

#65 2011-09-11 11:02am

bigbob818
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

10 years ago I was working at a bike shop and the last 6 months I worked there I started getting into collecting. I would get close-out sheets from my distributers and was buying comp st and comp 3 tires for $3, pink GT performer bars and seatposts for .99c , tuff neck stems for $10, etc. I only made $11/hr then so I could'nt buy too much and didn't have storage. I wish I had taken a loan for $10,000 then and I would have a $mill collection too. That's how Jeff did it- he had the foresight to buy this stuff when it was dirt cheap, he took a risk and it paid off.  Kinda like anyone who bought Microsoft stocks 10 yrs ago...........cha-ching!!!! Congrats to Jeff for being smarter than us cool

#66 2011-09-11 11:06am

jays24
Pro Member

cmb wrote:

I think some are combining two different ideas.  Some are talking about the end results of Jeff's success and wealth, while others are talking about the journey.  The, "how did he get there".  I would be interested in the journey aspect.  I enjoy talking to successful people to learn how they became successful.  Do I want to know how much money Jeff Haney has- No.  Would I be interested in how he became successful- Yes.  It would be the same as his bike collection.  I wouldn't disrespect him by asking how much his collection is worth.  I would like to hear cool stories about how he acquired some of his collection.  Especially some of the more rare items.

In the end, it is nobody's business but Jeff's.  However, I know some really cool people that have shared their knowledge and experiences with me about their lives.  I am grateful to them because I have gained some valuable insight and information.

Best quote here.

#67 2011-09-11 11:17am

tacoman
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I could care less where Mr. Haney  got his seed money....but his "jouney" would make for an even more interesting read IMHO.
I.E.  He had a  great idea back in 91...his grandma loaned him $5k......the rest is history.

Like Fatguy/CMB said....maybe there is a lesson to be shared ....and idea to motivate someone else.

Everyone loves to hear success stories....
We don't need to know his net worth....but more depth on the "journey" woulda been nice

Like Tater said...he was ahead of the curve while we were at home watching Michael Jordan (in the 90's).  lol
Hats off to him!!

Last edited by tacoman (2011-09-11 11:19am)

#68 2011-09-11 11:22am

BMX*Racer*1983
Pro Member
Bikes: 32

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/mikesbikes/012-24.jpg

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/buddysam1/new/sig2-1.jpg[/img]

-----If I Owe You Feedback Please LMK----- 

---R.I.P DAD I LOVE YOU 11/26/40 - 12/12/13--- It is what it is CUZ!!!

#69 2011-09-11 11:32am

reservoir.grizzly
Expert

15-20 years ago, Jeff had that passion..it wasn't about making money. eBay didn't exist. It's evident, the passion is still there.

Wanted: 1975

#70 2011-09-11 11:43am

eightyfivegt
Pro Member

FatGuy wrote:

True, perhaps. But, those sort of conversations should be reserved for close relationships. To do so right off the bat or with a casual acquaintance would be bad form. I too would be interested in his journey but my interest would be strictly with him and without focus on fortune. This is where I find the things to truly admire in folks.smile

Wanted: one copy of the last issue of BMX plus magazine!
Escaped from Detroit...and lived to tell about it!
Black Widows Central Florida Faction Ambassador

#71 2011-09-11 12:19pm

Spintech
Pro MemberNOS Before Mounted

WOW, I would love to get a tour of his basement/garage!!! yikesyikesyikes  amazing stuff

-Joe

#72 2011-09-11 12:45pm

John De Bruin
Pro Member
For Sale: 4
Website

eightyfivegtz wrote:

FatGuy wrote:

True, perhaps. But, those sort of conversations should be reserved for close relationships. To do so right off the bat or with a casual acquaintance would be bad form. I too would be interested in his journey but my interest would be strictly with him and without focus on fortune. This is where I find the things to truly admire in folks.smile

Both of these are extensions of my comment, except that I disagree with it being reserved for close relationships. I can think of many conversations when I've met people that the "what do you do" question was one of the first 10 questions they asked. My point was that it is socially accepted as a valid question...especially when a person goes public in a high-profile way. And just like we form opinions about someone within the first 3 seconds of visual, the "what do you do" question has a lot more to do with sizing up someone's social status than what time clock he punches. Again, I personally couldn't care less. But for the record, the last mega-wealthy guy I met in person drove an 8 year old Buick Century with 200,000 miles on it. cool

#73 2011-09-11 12:45pm

munners
Centurion Member

I must admit. There looks like some great stuff there but none that makes me go wow. Sorry but a mate of mine in the UK has ultra rare parts which add up in the $100,000s. He has the best UK collection in my opinion. But he bought the lot in one go which gets me on to my point.

What makes Jeffs collection better than everyones is the fact that he saw it first. The parts he has have not been through the hands of collectors previously. His comes straight out of whatever bike shop he got them from. I doubt very likely that he has ever had a frame painted or refurbed parts. He has never had to cos his stuff is NOS. Proper NOS. Thats why its the best.

I remember how much he got out of Hotwheels and Shiners in the UK years back. Container loads full. Amazing amounts. Thats what i would like to hear about from the horses mouth. The buzz he must have got, We have all had that feeling of getting ''that'' part.

He has experienced that feeling on a far greater scale. TELL US ABOUT IT.......PLEASE!!!

#74 2011-09-11 12:57pm

FLA ASSASSIN
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

JEFF IS A GOOD GUY.I HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL FRAMES FROM HIM IN THE PAST.
IT'S TRUE ABOUT SOME BIKE SHOPS THROWING AWAY OLD BMX PARTS.
THERE WAS A BIKE SHOP IN SOUTH FLORIDA WHO DID THAT.

#75 2011-09-11 1:20pm

RACEIT
Expert

How insanely cool would it be for this collection to be put into a bike shop setting.
Basically walk in the door and step back in time...BMX time that is.
A museum of old school BMX but set up as a bike shop.

You guys can discuss all you want about HOW he can afford to have bought it all, what It's worth, what he actually paid for it, bla bla bla...

What is important is that he cared enough to buy/preserve it all and it is here, today, in the condition that it is in.
Even if all I ever see of the collection is a few pics it is just super cool to know it is there.
And if someone buys something chances are it is going on a cool old school build that will still be appreciated by it's new owner.

Let Jeff have his privacy, be respectful, and maybe we will somehow get to see more of this collection.
Could anyone seriously put a true dollar value on this historical factor of his collection.

RIP Autumn Pasquale

Board footer

View Cart →