You are not logged in.

How To Do an Oxalic Acid Bath  RSS Feed

#26 2011-08-29 6:55pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

Re: How To Do an Oxalic Acid Bath

tobin wrote:

This is an excellent post. I'm just curious why you personally prefer OA over CAP or vinegar? I personally have only tried vinegar on small parts, and have never tried the others at all. I'm going to be doing a set of forks soon, and am trying to weigh the benefits of each method.

Fate.  There is no other way to explain it.  OA was the first easy, non-labor intensive, worry free rust removal process that I had tried.  After reading about it, I actually searched for a test bike to restore.  I found a rusty chrome Dyno Nitro on craigslist (I still have the bike in "my bikes" just for reference)  The payoff was immediate, the results were better than I expected.  If I had read about CAP or vinegar first, I may have just stuck with one of those.  Instead, I tried OA, was successful with it, and just continued using it.

Last edited by cmb (2011-08-29 6:56pm)

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#27 2011-08-29 7:16pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

I'm gonna try OA next time I need to remove rust... vinegar does work but I've had issue at the surface where the fumes from the vinegar leaves a haze on the chrome and it's tough to get off.
(that applies only for bigger parts that stick out of the liquid but you seemed not to get that with the OA so I'm sold on it for now, plus the results speak for themselves)

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#28 2011-08-29 8:41pm

MACAW
Pro MemberI am NOT a DUDE or a BRO :)

Thank you so much for writing this up for us  big_smile

#29 2011-08-29 8:46pm

changachump
Pro MemberMikey likes it
Bikes: 4

My only criticism is that some of your parts weren't that rusty. I think
some simpler methods might have worked.

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27489/ta5964a92927.jpg[/img]
A lie goes around the world in the morning while the truth is still putting it's pants on.
"Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free." - Red
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."

#30 2011-08-29 9:05pm

cmb

MACAW wrote:

Thank you so much for writing this up for us  big_smile

You are all welcome, especially you brodude. tongue

changachump wrote:

My only criticism is that some of your parts weren't that rusty. I think
some simpler methods might have worked.

I can see how you can think that.  When I do an OA bath, I usually do a frame, forks, handle bars, cranks, chains and other chrome parts all at one time.  One part of the same bike might be a more oxidized than another part.  However, in the end, all the parts that were in the bath come out looking the same.  It keeps the uniformity.

As far as simplicity, for me, an OA bath is about as easy as it gets...the OA is doing all the work.  wink

Last edited by cmb (2011-08-29 9:13pm)

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

#31 2011-08-30 10:14pm

USFBull
South Florida Freak!

Wow, that's fantastic!

not a fan--Kyle Idleman

#32 2011-08-30 10:28pm

cat-walk
Super Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Excellent post.

#33 2011-09-01 3:45am

Skwerly
Expert
Website

what about dumping the bike into a baking soda bath afterward, to neutralize the acid?  would that work?

Looking for GT Performer forks - maybe.  Lemme know what you have!

V-bars, knobby tires, and chain guards - Oh, yeah!  big_smile

#34 2011-09-01 7:27am

cmb

Skwerly wrote:

what about dumping the bike into a baking soda bath afterward, to neutralize the acid?  would that work?

No, I would not do that.  There is no need to do anything else to a part- after a bath-that is related to the bath- except rinse off the parts.  The mixture should be weak, no need to try and neutralize it.  If you want to just add baking soda to solution after you are finished with it, that will be up to you.

#35 2011-09-01 7:54am

Monster-Robot
Pro Member
For Sale: 4

Nice informative and concise post.   I've had good luck with OA and it's easier to get now than ever.  Lots available on eBay packaged in many sizes.

You will only need a light polish after a OA bath.  I like to finish the outsides with something that has a carnuba wax in it to seal any pits in the chrome or bare spots if it's a painted item.

Last edited by Monster-Robot (2011-09-01 7:55am)

#36 2011-09-01 2:06pm

cmb

Monster-Robot wrote:

Nice informative and concise post.   I've had good luck with OA and it's easier to get now than ever.  Lots available on eBay packaged in many sizes.

You will only need a light polish after a OA bath.  I like to finish the outsides with something that has a carnuba wax in it to seal any pits in the chrome or bare spots if it's a painted item.

I completely agree on light polish.  Carnuba is acidic but makes metals shine rather easily.  It would have to be a give and take on that one because the acid in carnuba will promote oxidation.  That may not be an issue if you keep your bikes indoors.  I believe the best polish to use would be a neutral ph polish.  A brand that is used on aircraft parts is usually ph neutral.

#37 2011-09-01 2:15pm

Skwerly
Expert
Website

cmb wrote:

Skwerly wrote:

No, I would not do that.  There is no need to do anything else to a part- after a bath-that is related to the bath- except rinse off the parts.  The mixture should be weak, no need to try and neutralize it.  If you want to just add baking soda to solution after you are finished with it, that will be up to you.

okay.  i had done some reading on this and heard of flash-rusting and all that.  also, spraying rust inhibitor into the frame itself - i was thinking that the baking soda might negate this step.  smile

Looking for GT Performer forks - maybe.  Lemme know what you have!

V-bars, knobby tires, and chain guards - Oh, yeah!  big_smile

#38 2011-09-01 2:23pm

cmb

Skwerly wrote:

cmb wrote:

Skwerly wrote:

okay.  i had done some reading on this and heard of flash-rusting and all that.  also, spraying rust inhibitor into the frame itself - i was thinking that the baking soda might negate this step.  smile

It will flash rust because it is bare metal exposed to air.

#39 2011-09-01 2:27pm

Monster-Robot
Pro Member

Skwerly wrote:

cmb wrote:

Skwerly wrote:

***edit for identical response as above***

I had no idea that carnuba was acidic.  I'd better check on a few frames in the queue that I'd considered preserved.

Last edited by Monster-Robot (2011-09-01 2:29pm)

#40 2011-09-01 3:27pm

numbersandletters
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Has anyone had any issues with decal damage? I want to do an oa bath on a few items. The frame set below in particular but ive seen some photos of people that have done them and had decals trashed. The decals on this frame make it far more valuable due to the small run of bikes that have these decals and im reluctant to say the least to risk it.  Is the damage i've seen because of a mixture that was too strong or is there a way to control it?
[img][/img]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/nomdi666/IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited by numbersandletters (2011-09-01 3:29pm)

#41 2011-09-01 5:52pm

Monster-Robot
Pro Member

I've not had any decal damage so far.  I have always started with a really light mixture and bumped it up as needed.

#42 2011-09-01 6:23pm

pods22

Anyone know if this is safe to use on a complete GT Mallet stem? I am unsure of what type of metal it is.

***Wanted*** SR-474 pedals in 9/16"

#43 2011-09-05 3:06am

jiltzee
Expert
Website

Dude ! Wonderful Turn out, great bike! Excellent post!!! I've been wondering the best way to go about this? You have sovled my question sir...Thank You! _ Jiltzee big_smile

I usually stay logged in all day, so if I dont get back to you right away. I will "asap"! Old School All The Way!!!! The Older I Get! The Better I Was!!!

#44 2011-09-05 3:13am

GT_fanatic

U and this POST izz DUH BOMB CMB  lol

this ones for anyone debating on wether to do it or not...

BEFORE...
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x455/gt-fanatic/IMG_2241-1.jpg

AFTER ..!! tongue
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x455/gt-fanatic/IMG_2265.jpg

have u decided YET.. lol

#45 2011-09-05 3:18am

GT_fanatic

OA ALL THE WAY.. big_smile

#46 2011-09-05 7:49pm

NorthernBMX

Does anyone on this site live in Canada? I'm having trouble finding OA in Vancouver. Home Depot/Rona don't carry it. It doesnt look like this particular brand distributes up here. Anyone know how I can get my hands on it, other than eBay etc?

"Burn rubber, not your soul"

#47 2011-09-06 3:01pm

poppalung
Intermediate
Bikes: 6

AWESOME POST!!!! thanks for the info im heading to home depot now!!!!!!

\m/BMX\m/

#48 2011-09-06 4:10pm

Monster-Robot
Pro Member

NorthernBMX wrote:

Does anyone on this site live in Canada? I'm having trouble finding OA in Vancouver. Home Depot/Rona don't carry it. It doesnt look like this particular brand distributes up here. Anyone know how I can get my hands on it, other than eBay etc?

Is it eBay with which you have a problem with or on-line in general?   You can also pick it up on amazon.com or chemistry.com.

Barkeepers Friend has OA in it but it's pretty weak.  Also check for Wood Bleach....it's primary ingredient is OA.

#49 2011-09-08 5:21pm

zehlersan

like this its cool

smile

#50 2011-09-08 7:21pm

MR.Grimm
Centurion Member
Website

I used steel wool on my bike, and now i have swirls and like.. little spots here and there... I'm not saying the bike doesn't look great.. It's just I cant get in the ducts in the fork and frame, and I seriously am thinking about doing this.. heres my fork after i used steel wool, but, seriously, you have shown me the gold at the end of the rainbow, and I now know how to actually get somewhere when restoring bikes.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

thank you for sharing your wisdom with us

New bikes are nothing compared to the way they were made back in the day....
))Looking for a stock 1985 Ross Piranha crank set message me if you have details, thank you!((

Board footer

View Cart →