You are not logged in.

WHITE DIAMONDBACK/ACS MAGS--NEED HELP

#1 2011-08-03 11:05am

steve43-4
Banned
Signed up: 2011-01-30
Bikes: 4

WHITE DIAMONDBACK/ACS MAGS--NEED HELP

hey guys, i have a set of those white mags made by acs for diamondback--the old school ones..when those mags came out in the 80s on their diamondback bikes---where they a snowy white or more of an off white color? these seem mint and clean but before i bleach them for nothing..i need to know..originally were they snowy white or off white--thx for the help..

life is short-snag it & ride it before its gone.

#2 2011-08-03 12:35pm

79mongoose
Here's lookin' at you kid
Signed up: 2009-11-20
Bikes: 2

Re: WHITE DIAMONDBACK/ACS MAGS--NEED HELP

i never knew any mags or anything to be orignally off white, so yeah its supposed to be completely white

When it comes to math, there's 3 kinds of people in the world:
Those that can count and those that can't

#3 2011-08-03 12:44pm

moshnmore
Pro MemberDr. Schlonger
Signed up: 2009-02-21

Chances are your not going to get them minty white. they will always be slightly yellowed

#4 2011-08-04 9:15pm

79mongoose
Here's lookin' at you kid
Signed up: 2009-11-20
Bikes: 2

idk bout that.. if you follow the resto thread on how to properly clean and whiten mags, its do-able. youd be suprised what a scotch brite pad and soft scrub will do. check it out!
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=176205

When it comes to math, there's 3 kinds of people in the world:
Those that can count and those that can't

#5 2011-08-05 4:44pm

steve43-4
Banned
Signed up: 2011-01-30

i have soaked these thing in hot water and  (cheap) bleach for 2 days--real white but not snowy white? starting to believe these were off white to begin with. they still have like a tinge to them. they were not all beat up when i got them. but i have nothing to lose, so i will try the soft scrub..i would love to know for sure what color they were new--but thanks for the help.

life is short-snag it & ride it before its gone.

#6 2011-09-05 8:28pm

cwicksilvr
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2011-08-24

If anyone still checks this here is what I got from a chemist locally, similar to retrobrite.  For my 25 yr old redstones that had yellowed pretty bad I used 40 hydrogen peroxide (from Beauty salon) get the GEL not the watery form.  Mix this (wear gloves) with some Pool shock (chlorine shock) PREMIX the shock with a little water first the mixture will turn into a foam.  "paint" this onto the rims and let sit for 4-8 hours in sunlight (going out every hour or so to reapply in worst areas.  Repeat if necessary to whiten further.  Very happy with results and this wont degrade plastic like chlorox will..I have pics but dont know how to post if anyones interested.

#7 2011-09-05 8:29pm

cwicksilvr
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2011-08-24

if you dont have chlorine shock a small amount of oxyclean should be the same.  I just had extra pool shock so I used it.

#8 2011-10-21 4:42pm

Spector007
Pro MemberVegas VIP
Signed up: 2011-08-10
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 1
Website

bleach and hot water for a day will bring them right back.  put vasoline on the metal to protect for corrosion.  in process of doing mine now.

Come ride with me on INSTAGRAM: @VegasStyleVip
or Twitter: @Vegas_Style_VIP

Co-Host of the Las Vegas #PODCAST "The Mike and the Mouth show" Going underground to get you the underbelly of the beast!  We take you places in Vegas others won't! Guaranteed to offend!

Board footer