You are not logged in.

1981 Diamond Back Silver Streak

#1 2011-07-08 9:52am

kuwasakid
Intermediate
Bikes: 6

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/trevs_db_ss1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/trevs_db_ss2_copy0.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/trevs_db_ss3.jpg

The Silver Streak f/f are from 1981, so it is a Koizumi made DB, and seems to be a little more rarer model SS, possibly among the earliest lot before being officially released in 1982.

I got the f/f from Its All Good, so I don't know the history of the bike. Hopefully he can comment and fill us in more on the details. My collection is called the Belgrave Collection, and consists of bike my friends and I rode BITD when we were kids growing up in an area called Belgravia in Kimberley, South Africa. Two of my friends had Silver Streaks. Sadly one is no longer with us, but this bike reminds me of the great times we had with him. Back then, I was a bit of a Kuwi snob when I had my Laserlite. No other bike was good enough. But now when I ride this bike, I am amazed at how balanced the bike feels. With slightly wider bars on it now, it doesn't feel as dinky as what I remembered it to be. And for less money than a Laserlite, I think it gives the Laserlite a good run for its money in the looks and handling department. Sandy Finkelman was a genius in creating such a great, a bit more affordable, package. Thanks to Frankie for the awesome repop pads. It finishes the bike off nicely. Its a work in progress, so I'll update pics as the bike evolves.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

NEEDED: Hutch magnesium rear hub; Suntour High Flange rear black hub

Keep it rad bru!!!!
If you're not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

#2 2011-07-09 1:25am

gtbmxed
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

Re: 1981 Diamond Back Silver Streak

Nice bike, the Belgrave Collection is looking good. Good luck with your Lazerlight, Clint Miller was a legend too.
Each time I look at the bikes on this site I am reminded of what a great sport BMX was and still is. Cheers to the Museum.smile

#3 2011-07-09 8:10am

kuwasakid
Intermediate

Thanks Ed, we had such a great time growing up in SA riding our BMXes. We were so jealous of you guys in the Vaal with such great tracks like Lonehill, Germiston and Aldrode. We had to build our own tracks, and rode out at the mine dumps at a place we called "The Rollercoqaster". What great memories and what great friends.

Keep it rad bru!!!!

#4 2011-07-09 8:12am

kuwasakid
Intermediate

Sorry, I meant "The Rollercoaster"

Keep it rad bru!!!!

#5 2011-07-09 12:46pm

piznall712
Centurion Member

thats a sweet bike there, i rode one bitd and they ride smooth, wish i still had it, nice bike

#6 2011-07-10 12:01am

kuwasakid
Intermediate

piznall, I actually intended to build a Silver Streak to fulfill my "cool chrome/black build in my collection" when I saw how expensive it would be to build a Hutch or a Kuwahara Laserlite (Laserlite being the one I really want to build, like i rode BITD). I did actually manage to find a decently priced Hutch frame, so I didn't need to get an SS as I'd fulfilled my goal beyond what I thought I'd be able to get. And I now actually have a Laserlite coming my way so I am in BMX heaven. So I have ridden both a Laserlite and Hutch, and all i can say is that it would be unfair to think of the DB SS as the cheaper, second rate bike to the Hutch and Laserlite. To me, with a change to wider bars and layback seatpost, it feels every bit as good as the Hutch or Laserlite. I'll probably get burned for saying that. If I wasn't so blinded by my Laserlite BITD, and I'd given the DB a chance, I'm sure I (or anyone else on a tight budget) would have been very happy racing with it. It just handles so well. I'm very impressed with it. SO go and find one, then let me know when you have it up on the museum.

Keep it rad bru!!!!

#7 2013-06-24 10:34pm

skdevore
Pro MemberIt's Not For Sale, Francis!
Bikes: 41

Sweet DB.  Nice parts and the pads are a great touch.

There's no help for this Museum Junkie!

Board footer