You are not logged in.

So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

#176 2012-07-01 12:34pm

FLA ASSASSIN
Centurion Member
From: Florida
Registered: 2007-10-03
Posts: 238
Bikes: 5
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

Marketing! case in point the hollywood frames! hutch took a regular pro frame with a bad chrome job and repainted them pink and other colors made lots money off them!

Offline

 

#177 2012-07-01 12:37pm

n2o
Pro MemberGunga Galunga
From: Tennessee
Registered: 2008-03-30
Posts: 1765
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

SonicMouse wrote:

then don't fu*king read it.

Good point. Just sayin'.......

Offline

 

#178 2012-07-01 3:01pm

srootster
Expert
From: Cincinnati, OH
Registered: 2012-02-18
Posts: 552
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

hutches are like harley's, imo. decent (and i use that term very loosely) bikes, but lack anything worth having yet every jackhole that can't ride wants one. they gather dust good though,

best comparo my simple mind can make lol

Offline

 

#179 2012-07-01 3:06pm

srootster
Expert
From: Cincinnati, OH
Registered: 2012-02-18
Posts: 552
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

i admit that a pink hollywood is a cute bike. i'll probably build my wife one soon.

Last edited by srootster (2012-07-01 3:06pm)

Offline

 

#180 2012-07-01 3:23pm

Iven
Got Chrome?
From: California
Registered: 2010-12-13
Posts: 1524
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

dc1 wrote:

A lot of people miss 2006 lately.

dude...
im not the only one? yikes
06 kicked @$$ for me..
best and worst time in my life strangly.. i do still miss 06, just hope 2012 is another 2006 big_smile

Offline

 

#181 2012-07-01 3:40pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
From: Texas
Registered: 2010-07-14
Posts: 3567
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 2
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

I'm going to repeat myself here.  If you want to own a Hutch, then look for one.  If you don't, then don't.  If you come across one and don't want to keep it, then flip it.  You will be putting it in the hands of someone who does want it.  I do think it is unusual that people hate a bike brand.

As far as them being riden by rich kids, I'm sure most people here can name a kid they grew up with that got everything they ever wanted.  That is a parenting problem, not a bike brand problem.  To dislike a bike brand because it reminds one of a spoiled kid looses focus on what the real issue was- which was the kid.   

Hutch's first bike made in Taiwan was the Pro Raider in 1984.  This is a semantic issue, but it would be more accurate to say Hutch went overseas with most of their manufacturing in the mid 80's (Japan and Taiwan).

I don't think a Hutch is "The" bike to have.  I like my Hutches, but ride my Schwinn Pro-Stock more than any of my other bikes.  I believe the kind of bike someone owns is up to that individual, but everyone doesn't have to like the same type of bike.


Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

Offline

 

#182 2012-07-01 3:47pm

ncmalko1
Museum Addict
From: Phoenix via Philly
Registered: 2011-04-30
Posts: 2581
Bikes: 15
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

I cant believe people are ripping Hutchs and acting like JMC are more valuable. Arent Judge frames like $2000?  Someone said that JMC is more sought after? Well heres my view. I built up a sweet and very expensive XL24 (yet another $1000 f/f combo Hutch bike). I decided to focus only on Stings. The night I decided to part the XL24 I realized Hutch's dominance.  I sold EVERY single part on that bike in one night. F/F for a grand sold IMMEDIATELY. $800 for ACS Z rims and Hutch TiMag hubs. Boom, sold immediately. Repop JDB seat, JDB pedals, JDB seat post clamp, JDB pads sold IMMEDIATELY. Chrome MX1000/MX900 brake sets.... GONE! After about 1 hour I looked at my paypal and was shocked. EVERY SINGLE PART GONE! When I finally received my $500 JDB Aerospeeds I got $800 for them IMMEDIATELY. Tell me one brand that you can buy there repop part and make $300 in profit, INSTANTLY. Someone tell me a repop JMC part that you can sell immediately and pocket an extra $300.

I understand the mind set of not liking Hutch "the brand". They were the rich kids bike. So many of us saw our rich friends parents buy them a $800 bike in the mid 80's and the kids couldn't even ride while we sat on our Schwinn Scramblers. Hutch is like the Dallas Cowboys of BMX. There no in between. You love them or hate them. Like I said, Im a Schwinn Sting guy. I absolutely love JMC's, Pattersons and several other bikes. But nothing touches a Hutch when it comes to prices or part outs. THey dominate the old school market.

Last edited by ncmalko1 (2012-07-01 3:48pm)


Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

Offline

 

#183 2012-07-02 11:57am

84mach1
Expert
From: Los Angeles, CA
Registered: 2006-04-07
Posts: 662
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

OK, maybe I was a little rash when I started throwing out all those Hutch models that supposedly "only fetch 2, 3 hundred $." Buuuuuut, that "$1,800 Hollywood" on Ebay doesn't mean it's REALLY worth that money....beause there are no bites on the hook. Guys, let's be real. I know lots of you got experience with Evilbay, and when an item SITS FOR A LONG TIME and DOES NOT SELL at the "buy it now" price...it simply means it's overpriced...........or, people don't want it. The TRUE MARKET price for anything goes by a NO RESERVE AUCTION. We all know the scams that go on in Ebay: shill bidding; pulling auctions for illegitimate reasons...only to see the seller re-auction it like 14 times down the road for the next 6 months....nobody's naive around here. And I know some of you guys pull that nonsense. Shame on you.

But the bottom line is: Hutch is not the bike to have.

They're high in production numbers and the De Bruin series makes them less "sacred." They've been repopped like clones.

Offline

 

#184 2012-07-02 12:02pm

3rdgear
Pro MemberGranny Gear
From: Portland, TN
Registered: 2008-11-17
Posts: 1286
Bikes: 28
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

GT's SUCK A$$


LOOKING FOR PRE ‘88 Free Agent Frames , Gear whatever you have.

Offline

 

#185 2012-07-02 12:15pm

ncmalko1
Museum Addict
From: Phoenix via Philly
Registered: 2011-04-30
Posts: 2581
Bikes: 15
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

84mach1 wrote:

OK, maybe I was a little rash when I started throwing out all those Hutch models that supposedly "only fetch 2, 3 hundred $." Buuuuuut, that "$1,800 Hollywood" on Ebay doesn't mean it's REALLY worth that money....beause there are no bites on the hook. Guys, let's be real. I know lots of you got experience with Evilbay, and when an item SITS FOR A LONG TIME and DOES NOT SELL at the "buy it now" price...it simply means it's overpriced...........or, people don't want it. The TRUE MARKET price for anything goes by a NO RESERVE AUCTION. We all know the scams that go on in Ebay: shill bidding; pulling auctions for illegitimate reasons...only to see the seller re-auction it like 14 times down the road for the next 6 months....nobody's naive around here. And I know some of you guys pull that nonsense. Shame on you.

But the bottom line is: Hutch is not the bike to have.

They're high in production numbers and the De Bruin series makes them less "sacred." They've been repopped like clones.

Like I said, Im a Sting guy but how do you conclude that HUTCH isnt the bike to have when people are STILL going nuts for them and paying top dollar. Theres not a bike on the museum that gets parted and bought quicker then a Hutch. The demand for Hutch's is considerably higher than any other bike out there. How does that make them not the bike to have.  Especially with high production numbers and repop parts? Like I said.... Tell me one repop part that you can pocket $300 off of INSTANTLY like JDB Aerospeeds. You can't!


Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

Offline

 

#186 2012-07-02 12:49pm

84mach1
Expert
From: Los Angeles, CA
Registered: 2006-04-07
Posts: 662
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

^sting guy, I'm a PK loop guy so I'm on the fence about my assertions.

Hutches get parted out because people need quick cash for them. Aerospeed cranks and its components I can't argue with: they fetch crazy money. I've seen lots of Hutch parts on Evilbay and they SIT for a long time.

DeBruin Aerospeeds sell easy, FROM ONE HAND TO ANOTHER (flipping them), because Debruin can't crank them (pun intended) out in mass production a la Profile retro reissue cranks or 2008 Skyway TA f & fs. The wait is ridiculously long (like almost a year or more) and it's no wonder why you can flip them for $300 profit. But if they're were like say, 1000 units readily available...they'd share the same market characteristic as Profile retro cranks: just slightly above MSRP if you try to sell them in current market conditions. I bought both my Profile reissues for no more than $320 each; the original MSRP is $300...

Hutches are nice, high end bikes but so is every other brand that was sold at a bike shop and not a department store. SE Racing is the Ferrari of BMX bikes; JMC is like the Lambo of BMX bikes; Hutches are like the Camaros of BMX bikes...and GTs would be like the Mustangs or whatever.

Last edited by 84mach1 (2012-07-02 12:49pm)

Offline

 

#187 2012-07-02 12:51pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
From: SFV, CA
Registered: 2011-07-26
Posts: 3863
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

I raced a Hutch bitd - a Pro Raider - only because my neighbor sold me the frame really cheap and I liked how it handled. The only reason I own a Hutch today is because of nostalgia. Knowing what I know now, my opinion is that they are overpriced, overhyped, and overrated. If I had a choice back then, I would choose an Auburn instead.


-Joe

Offline

 

#188 2012-07-02 1:02pm

esp_mini_wi
Pro Member
From: Oshkosh, WI
Registered: 2012-02-20
Posts: 5375
For Sale: 10
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

looking at hutch as a  401k isnt  the proper way to invest  but it works. and  as for  a  pink hollywood  we all know why its  still there. its because its a pink one if it was  the baby blue or purple hollywood it would have been bought a long time ago the pink hollywoods  are more common than other colors


I need beaners!!!!!!

Offline

 

#189 2012-07-02 1:42pm

alainmagana
In Wonderland
From: Chicago
Registered: 2009-04-18
Posts: 8191
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

To me it's because i couldn't have one BITD, thats it. Cook Bros parts demand top dollar as well. I paid way more for my stem than the F/F cost me yikes but like it's been said before. Now i can afford to get them tongue


Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Offline

 

#190 2012-07-02 2:12pm

smokingninja
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
From: Florida
Registered: 2008-10-04
Posts: 2487
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

84mach1 wrote:

^sting guy, I'm a PK loop guy so I'm on the fence about my assertions.

Hutches get parted out because people need quick cash for them. Aerospeed cranks and its components I can't argue with: they fetch crazy money. I've seen lots of Hutch parts on Evilbay and they SIT for a long time.

DeBruin Aerospeeds sell easy, FROM ONE HAND TO ANOTHER (flipping them), because Debruin can't crank them (pun intended) out in mass production a la Profile retro reissue cranks or 2008 Skyway TA f & fs. The wait is ridiculously long (like almost a year or more) and it's no wonder why you can flip them for $300 profit. But if they're were like say, 1000 units readily available...they'd share the same market characteristic as Profile retro cranks: just slightly above MSRP if you try to sell them in current market conditions. I bought both my Profile reissues for no more than $320 each; the original MSRP is $300...

Hutches are nice, high end bikes but so is every other brand that was sold at a bike shop and not a department store. SE Racing is the Ferrari of BMX bikes; JMC is like the Lambo of BMX bikes; Hutches are like the Camaros of BMX bikes...and GTs would be like the Mustangs or whatever.

what would skyway be?


"is this your homework larry?"






FORMERLY [img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/smokingninja/21202_zps0cdc9634.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#191 2012-07-02 3:09pm

KINGPIN
Centurion Member
From: So-Cal (619)
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 192
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

3rdgear wrote:

GT's SUCK A$$

GT is Jesus favorite brand.

Offline

 

#192 2012-07-02 3:32pm

ncmalko1
Museum Addict
From: Phoenix via Philly
Registered: 2011-04-30
Posts: 2581
Bikes: 15
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

84mach1 wrote:

^sting guy, I'm a PK loop guy so I'm on the fence about my assertions.

Hutches get parted out because people need quick cash for them. Aerospeed cranks and its components I can't argue with: they fetch crazy money. I've seen lots of Hutch parts on Evilbay and they SIT for a long time.

DeBruin Aerospeeds sell easy, FROM ONE HAND TO ANOTHER (flipping them), because Debruin can't crank them (pun intended) out in mass production a la Profile retro reissue cranks or 2008 Skyway TA f & fs. The wait is ridiculously long (like almost a year or more) and it's no wonder why you can flip them for $300 profit. But if they're were like say, 1000 units readily available...they'd share the same market characteristic as Profile retro cranks: just slightly above MSRP if you try to sell them in current market conditions. I bought both my Profile reissues for no more than $320 each; the original MSRP is $300...

Hutches are nice, high end bikes but so is every other brand that was sold at a bike shop and not a department store. SE Racing is the Ferrari of BMX bikes; JMC is like the Lambo of BMX bikes; Hutches are like the Camaros of BMX bikes...and GTs would be like the Mustangs or whatever.

GOOD POINTS!


Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

Offline

 

#193 2012-07-02 4:03pm

fsx
Member
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 61
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

can someone please tell me why Hutchins frames are frowned upon??? Are they still not a Hutch just with the extra three letters of the persons name added.
I have a nos Hutchins judge 2 frame and i love it,the quality is awesome. But if you mention Hutchins frames to some purists,all they want to do is spit on you for owning such a thing!!! Why so?????

Offline

 

#194 2012-07-02 5:11pm

wfc09
Museum Addict
From: Sunshine State, FL
Registered: 2010-06-03
Posts: 3054
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

SE the Ferrari of BMX..........lollollol. They are nice........... but not that nice wink. VDC ,Pro-Neck , Hutch , Paterson's..........those are Ferrari's.

Offline

 

#195 2012-07-02 5:47pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
From: Texas
Registered: 2010-07-14
Posts: 3567
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 2
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

fsx wrote:

can someone please tell me why Hutchins frames are frowned upon??? Are they still not a Hutch just with the extra three letters of the persons name added.
I have a nos Hutchins judge 2 frame and i love it,the quality is awesome. But if you mention Hutchins frames to some purists,all they want to do is spit on you for owning such a thing!!! Why so?????

I think a true Hutch fan would know the entire story and not frown upon a Hutchins.  I, for one, would love to own one.


Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

Offline

 

#196 2012-07-02 6:40pm

arizonalouie
Expert
From: Phoenix, via LI NY
Registered: 2010-12-17
Posts: 907
Bikes: 16
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

I can honestly say that I was THE poorest kid in my neighborhood and I owned and raced a Hutch Pro Racer back in 1983.
My father died when I was nine years old of cancer. I grew up in New York without heat in our house for three years (the oil burner broke 2 years after my dad took his dirt nap).
As a kid of 14 years old I managed to scrimp and save my money from shoveling snow, shining shoes, and raking leaves to get that Hutch. I assure you my Mom couldn't chip in on the bike.
The truth is, the wealthier kids DID have Hutch's. Not me though.wink
For me, Hutch will ALWAYS be the bike to have for my own reasons: Nostalgia and overcoming hardship.

PS..Thank you NCMALKO for selling me your XL24 and being a friend cool

Last edited by arizonalouie (2012-07-02 6:53pm)


Be good to eachother!!

Offline

 

#197 2012-07-02 6:51pm

85machonegt
Museum Newbie
From: Havelock, NC
Registered: 2012-06-17
Posts: 22
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

djdane wrote:

There were a ton of gt's and mongooses and a few haros where I grew up but I remember this one dude having a pink hollywood. That was the sh!t. Still is.

I'm with dane, I saw and had quite a few mongooses and gts but I'll never forget seeing this kid riding a block long wheelie past me, on a chromed out hutch all I could do was stop and stare!  I'd love to have one in my very small collection because I've always thought they were top of the line bikes.  I mean those bikes were just so cool to see because they were rare when I was coming up.

Offline

 

#198 2012-07-02 6:51pm

ncmalko1
Museum Addict
From: Phoenix via Philly
Registered: 2011-04-30
Posts: 2581
Bikes: 15
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

arizonalouie wrote:

I can honestly say that I was THE poorest kid in my neighborhood and I owned and raced a Hutch Pro Racer back in 1983.
My father died when I was nine years old of cancer. I grew up in New York without heat in our house for three years (the oil burner broke 2 years after my dad took his dirt nap).
As a kid of 14 years old I managed to scrimp and save my money from shoveling snow, shining shoes, and raking leaves to get that Hutch. I assure you my Mom couldn't chip in on the bike.
The truth is the wealthier kids did have Hutch's.
Hutch will ALWAYS be the bike to have for my own reasons: Nostalgia and overcoming hardship.

PS..Thank you NCMALKO for selling me your XL24 and being a friend cool

Sweet story my man. I love what it represents to you. A kid that didnt have a pot to pizz in overcomes it to get his dream bike. cool


Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

Offline

 

#199 2012-07-02 6:54pm

85machonegt
Museum Newbie
From: Havelock, NC
Registered: 2012-06-17
Posts: 22
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

I Also, look at the Hutch like the Harley (pick a model) and everything else with the exception of skyways as kawasaki, suzuki, and honda.  I'm a gear head. wink  Yes they're all nice but those two brands always commanded top dollar that I never had.

Offline

 

#200 2012-07-03 10:15am

84mach1
Expert
From: Los Angeles, CA
Registered: 2006-04-07
Posts: 662
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

smokingninja wrote:

84mach1 wrote:

^sting guy, I'm a PK loop guy so I'm on the fence about my assertions.

Hutches get parted out because people need quick cash for them. Aerospeed cranks and its components I can't argue with: they fetch crazy money. I've seen lots of Hutch parts on Evilbay and they SIT for a long time.

DeBruin Aerospeeds sell easy, FROM ONE HAND TO ANOTHER (flipping them), because Debruin can't crank them (pun intended) out in mass production a la Profile retro reissue cranks or 2008 Skyway TA f & fs. The wait is ridiculously long (like almost a year or more) and it's no wonder why you can flip them for $300 profit. But if they're were like say, 1000 units readily available...they'd share the same market characteristic as Profile retro cranks: just slightly above MSRP if you try to sell them in current market conditions. I bought both my Profile reissues for no more than $320 each; the original MSRP is $300...

Hutches are nice, high end bikes but so is every other brand that was sold at a bike shop and not a department store. SE Racing is the Ferrari of BMX bikes; JMC is like the Lambo of BMX bikes; Hutches are like the Camaros of BMX bikes...and GTs would be like the Mustangs or whatever.

what would skyway be?

Skyway would be like the Porsche of BMX...lol

Offline

 

Board footer