You are not logged in.

So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

#151 2011-10-12 8:50pm

chicago.al
Pro Member
Bikes: 28

Re: So why are Hutches THE bike to have?

josare714 wrote:

Never owned one, never will .... not saying there good or not just not my cup of tea ....

it all depends on your taste and what you've previously owned .....

well said.....I'm a SE...Race Inc....Torker kind of guy

#152 2011-10-22 8:46pm

Iven
Got Chrome?

Ddivot wrote:

xtremevert wrote:

I miss 2006...   sad   lol

I miss 1986 sad

I guess no one can resurrect a post from then. tongue

dude 2006 was my fave year so far..
haven't been around in early days, fkn wish i was..
always saying im from wrong time period wish i was a kid in the 80's
and daynm id love to grab up a Performer for just $135 like freakin christ
now a days you want a nice freestyle bike.. dont be surprised to be paying $450 Just for a Frame!

god i hate my Generation..
our 'music' sucks, all the bikes look the same, and 'rap is the cool thing to listen to'
everything is expensive and money is impossible to come up with >>

you guys from the 80's are danm lucky you should be glad you grew up in such an awesome generation..
i am extremely jealous of all of you..

#153 2011-10-24 3:59am

zombie_jesus
Google Me, B*tch

a buck 35 was decent money back then. and for the record, rap IS the music to listen to. but just the older shlt. you missed a golden era

Iven wrote:

Ddivot wrote:

xtremevert wrote:

I miss 1986 sad

now a days you want a nice freestyle bike.. dont be surprised to be paying $450 Just for a Frame!

our 'music' sucks, all the bikes look the same, and 'rap is the cool thing to listen to'

you guys from the 80's are danm lucky you should be glad you grew up in such an awesome generation..

#TeamGeiger

#154 2012-06-30 10:27am

84laserlite
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
Website

Huffy the tough-skins of there day ?

''Have been Old Schooled''.  I think the list of things  I pretend to care about is now longer than the list of things I actually care about.   Need *   Cheap set Sugino 400 Redline crank Dust caps   Tap Your Stem Bolt Down ,Or Hammer On it 4  Hrs for Fun. 
11 X'' Champion'' Old-school B.M.X Shows`  ~

#155 2012-06-30 12:45pm

bmxism
Museum Addict
Website

I hate hutch worse than rectal rash.

GT - Bolt-on is Better

#156 2012-07-01 8:58am

84mach1
Expert
Bikes: 7

Hutches are not the "bike to have" and lemme explain. If you want to consider what is "the bike to have" using what fetches good money in today's market, then it would have to be JMC. Only a few Hutch models (I'm talking mainstream, mass production models, not prototype, "only issued to factory riders" rarities types) fetch good money: US made Trickstar and Prostar. Everything else doesn't fetch that much money. JMC, on the other hand, ALWAYS fetch good money except for their minis and a few others. But I always see JMC Andy Pattersons, Daryl Youngs, Black Shadows and 24"s fetching high dollars...but Hutches don't. Hutch is not the bike to have; JMC is. And I'm a PK Ripper fanboy btw, and it shows I'm not biased.

#157 2012-07-01 9:00am

63v-dub
Hi my name is Chris, and I am a Bike-a-holic
Bikes: 31

cuz they were crap and they broke so now there are less of them which makes them worth more lol

Addiction? what Addiction? I'm not Addicted! Damn i keep buying  parts.             
[img]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/orjr101/bw-sanD-faction.gif[/img]

#158 2012-07-01 9:12am

XJguy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

If I recall correctly Hutch was still being made in USA after most had started to source from Japan then Taiwan, that alone made for more expensive parts.   Hutch had better chrome plating than most (show chrome?), the owner made sure of it.   Hutch race bikes were great, and looked great.  Their prices dropped as did the quality once they started to be made over seas.

To be honest after seeing older made in USA Redlines, I was a bit disheartened when my dad bought me my RL20II and see that it was made in Japan...in my eyes only Kuwahara's should be made in Japan.

Even back when I was a kid, Hutch pedals were the ultimate.   Fast forward many years later, my buddy now very successful built his dream bike from when he was a kid, his biggest score: Hutch pedals with the even rarer titanium spindles.

WTB Bully stem.
WTB Peregrine Super Pros, not pitted.
WTB Kuwahara freestyle stem engraved.

#159 2012-07-01 9:14am

Stoner71
BMXer 4 Life

They are'nt...........unless you think you have to have one I guess. I wouldnt trade 1 of my S&M's foir a mint 80's Hutch.

Ummmmm..........Yeah.

#160 2012-07-01 9:16am

XJguy
Museum Addict
Website

Iven wrote:

Ddivot wrote:

xtremevert wrote:

I miss 1986 sad

I will agree with a lot of this, but the technology you now have makes it possible to do so much more than we were capable of, so what we thought we had to be a "grown up" to do, kids now accomplish under the age of 20.

That being said I miss my child hood.....80's had lot of bad, but so much good.  (Listening to talking heads Naive Melody as I type)

WTB Bully stem.

#161 2012-07-01 9:17am

XJguy
Museum Addict
Website

Oops, caught my next song...all good anyway.

WTB Bully stem.

#162 2012-07-01 9:18am

esp_mini_wi
Pro Member
For Sale: 10

sorry to say guys  hutch  tips  the scales  i recall a year or 2 ago a complete hutch judge sold  privately  for  8,500.00  . so  when  it comes to hutch if you have one it pays  to build  it  and   do not skimp on quality of parts .

I need beaners!!!!!!

#163 2012-07-01 9:21am

butcherbobhayes
Pro Member
Website

84mach1 wrote:

Hutches are not the "bike to have" and lemme explain. If you want to consider what is "the bike to have" using what fetches good money in today's market, then it would have to be JMC. Only a few Hutch models (I'm talking mainstream, mass production models, not prototype, "only issued to factory riders" rarities types) fetch good money: US made Trickstar and Prostar. Everything else doesn't fetch that much money. JMC, on the other hand, ALWAYS fetch good money except for their minis and a few others. But I always see JMC Andy Pattersons, Daryl Youngs, Black Shadows and 24"s fetching high dollars...but Hutches don't. Hutch is not the bike to have; JMC is. And I'm a PK Ripper fanboy btw, and it shows I'm not biased.

roll This is unfortunately a terribly uneducated opinion. I am not Hutch lover or hater, but there is more to Hutch than Trick Stars and Pro Stars. A Pro Star is a Flawless Pro Racer with the absolute best Hutch parts, without the parts its just a Pro Racer. Somehow you failed to mention the Hollywood, Judge and XL24. From what I have seen these bikes bring more cash than their comparable JMC counterparts. So when you say that "everything else doesn't fetch that much money." You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#164 2012-07-01 9:29am

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 55
For Sale: 3
Website

crash-endo wrote:

they were the best of the best, everything hutch made was well thought out and VERY well made, like cannondale mountain bikes,  the parts were expensive and worth it. I was never a HUGE fan of their frames except for looks, gt rode much better imho. and like was stated above most people could not afford them and NOW they can so thats what they want and the current market is showing that.

Umm....You are forgetting the Aero Speeds which were one of THE worst 3 piece cromo cranks ever made. I say this as a former owner of them bitd...they came loose all of the time, creaked, and then split down the seam after 3 months of racing under a 168lb teenager, and HUTCH would not warranty them.

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#165 2012-07-01 9:30am

84mach1
Expert

butcherbobhayes wrote:

84mach1 wrote:

roll This is unfortunately a terribly uneducated opinion. I am not Hutch lover or hater, but there is more to Hutch than Trick Stars and Pro Stars. A Pro Star is a Flawless Pro Racer with the absolute best Hutch parts, without the parts its just a Pro Racer. Somehow you failed to mention the Hollywood, Judge and XL24. From what I have seen these bikes bring more cash than their comparable JMC counterparts. So when you say that "everything else doesn't fetch that much money." You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Pro Racers, Hollywoods, Judges only get a couple hundred $ or 3 at most these days. JMC f & fs easily fetch at least $600 in survivor condition. JMCs never outsourced overseas, but Hutch did it in the early 80s. 24s from both Hutch and JMC, and most US-made BMX companies for that matter bitd, fetch good money in today's market. It's because we're taller, heavier and want to ride it instead of carpet queening them (20"s). "Hutch stock" isn't as valuable as "JMC stock." People today pay more money for JMCs because they perceive it as "the bike to have." Sure, Hutch aerospeed cranks and some other components fetch crazy money, but as a whole...Hutch isn't as robust as many on here make it out as.

Somebody, please start the thread: Why is JMC the bike to have? wink

#166 2012-07-01 9:34am

XJguy
Museum Addict
Website

G. wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

they were the best of the best, everything hutch made was well thought out and VERY well made, like cannondale mountain bikes,  the parts were expensive and worth it. I was never a HUGE fan of their frames except for looks, gt rode much better imho. and like was stated above most people could not afford them and NOW they can so thats what they want and the current market is showing that.

Umm....You are forgetting the Aero Speeds which were one of THE worst 3 piece cromo cranks ever made. I say this as a former owner of them bitd...they came loose all of the time, creaked, and then split down the seam after 3 months of racing under a 168lb teenager, and HUTCH would not warranty them.

I remember being told this back in the day.   My friend who was an avid Hutch racer only used Flights because as he said Hutch cranks were over priced and garbage.  They did look great.  For that matter Hutch pedals were crap for street use, cages were expensive and crushed even faster than Suntours.

WTB Bully stem.

#167 2012-07-01 9:40am

84mach1
Expert

XJguy wrote:

If I recall correctly Hutch was still being made in USA after most had started to source from Japan then Taiwan, that alone made for more expensive parts.   Hutch had better chrome plating than most (show chrome?), the owner made sure of it.   Hutch race bikes were great, and looked great.  Their prices dropped as did the quality once they started to be made over seas.

To be honest after seeing older made in USA Redlines, I was a bit disheartened when my dad bought me my RL20II and see that it was made in Japan...in my eyes only Kuwahara's should be made in Japan.

Even back when I was a kid, Hutch pedals were the ultimate.   Fast forward many years later, my buddy now very successful built his dream bike from when he was a kid, his biggest score: Hutch pedals with the even rarer titanium spindles.

I don't mind when "US BMX companies" make them in Japan, but Taiwan and China...I do. FYI, Hutch made bikes in Taiwan in the early 1980s. Japan's machining, welding, metal-working industry is pretty respectable to say the least, even 30 years ago. I don't care for Japanese bikes per se like Kuwaharas or Tanges, but when an American company outsources to them it's a different story. Japan made Trickstars and RL20IIs are awesome.

#168 2012-07-01 10:22am

butcherbobhayes
Pro Member
Website

84mach1 wrote:

butcherbobhayes wrote:

84mach1 wrote:

Pro Racers, Hollywoods, Judges only get a couple hundred $ or 3 at most these days.  JMC f & fs easily fetch at least $600 in survivor condition. JMCs never outsourced overseas, but Hutch did it in the early 80s. 24s from both Hutch and JMC, and most US-made BMX companies for that matter bitd, fetch good money in today's market. It's because we're taller, heavier and want to ride it instead of carpet queening them (20"s). "Hutch stock" isn't as valuable as "JMC stock." People today pay more money for JMCs because they perceive it as "the bike to have." Sure, Hutch aerospeed cranks and some other components fetch crazy money, but as a whole...Hutch isn't as robust as many on here make it out as.

Somebody, please start the thread: Why is JMC the bike to have? wink

Please contact me if you find some of these F/F's. I will give you $300 for these 2 F/F combos all day, and buy as many as you can find. wink

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#169 2012-07-01 11:39am

SonicMouse
while(!asleep()){nBmxBuilt+= buildBmx();}
Bikes: 5
Website

butcherbobhayes wrote:

Please contact me if you find some of these F/F's. I will give you $300 for these 2 F/F combos all day, and buy as many as you can find. wink

No crap. For example: there is a hollywood (F/F Only) on ebay right now for 1800. And it's chipped to hell.  I contacted and offered 1300 and was denied because the person knows it will sell for 1800.  And it will -- chips and all.

So yeah, you find a Judge/Hollywood for $300, I will PAY you $100 to tell me first.

GT Guy.
Looking For: Your Mom.
Who told you I was paranoid? Was it the Government?

#170 2012-07-01 11:49am

Dart Swinger
Centurion Member
Bikes: 4

Back in the late 80's - early 90's when my brother and I both raced nobody at our track rode a Hutch. Free Agent, ELF, and Redlines were what the kids who raced a lot typically rode. Hutches seemed to be owned by kids with well off parents (dentists, lawyers, ect) that bought them whatever they wanted, and for whatever reason those kids didn't race.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Hutch bikes or parts, heck I even used their pedals and stem on my FA Limo back in the day. I just found it odd that a bike that had so much BMX magazine coverage back then was non-existant at our track.

As far as desirablity goes I would prefer to own a Patterson, JMC, or a VDC over a Hutch.

#171 2012-07-01 12:11pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
For Sale: 2

yawn, yawn, yawn....

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2020! Rotator cuff is feeling ok, not 100%, but I'm out living!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#172 2012-07-01 12:15pm

n2o
Pro MemberGunga Galunga

I'm not in this hobby for the $$$, so I could easily name 10 bikes I'd rather have than a Hutch (any Hutch!).

Hmmm, let's start with an early Robinson, looptail PK Ripper, Profile, JMC, Skyway T/A, Torker, RRS, Diamond Back Turbo, looptail Floval Flyer, GJS, VDC, etc.......

I know what you Hutch guys are saying, but Hutch ISN'T the bike to have if you aren't a Hutch guy. It all depends on what you like. I'll stick with my 1979 Robinson. Isn't that who Hutch stole their style from anyway?! tongue

#173 2012-07-01 12:16pm

SonicMouse
Website

matt thomas wrote:

yawn, yawn, yawn....

Oh I am sorry, I didn't know we were all here in this forum, chatting about BMX, only to entertain you.

We will get back on that now.

GT Guy.

#174 2012-07-01 12:19pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
For Sale: 2

SonicMouse wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

yawn, yawn, yawn....

Oh I am sorry, I didn't know we were all here in this forum, chatting about BMX, only to entertain you.

We will get back on that now.

well new guy, its a 6 year old thread that happens to be one of a thousand about the same topic. the subject has been beat to death.

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2020! Rotator cuff is feeling ok, not 100%, but I'm out living!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#175 2012-07-01 12:21pm

SonicMouse
Website

then don't fu*king read it.

GT Guy.

Board footer