You are not logged in.

Do you ever see old schoolers riding BMX in your town??  RSS Feed

#1 2011-05-31 4:04pm

leiper204
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Do you ever see old schoolers riding BMX in your town??

I live in a town with a population of 57,000 people.and back in the day we had a large NBL track,a ton of kids racing and doing freestyle and some bad a** bike shops here,SO why do I feel like I am the only person riding oldschool BMX...other than one friend of mine in the next county over I am the only person in my town doing this..I never see anybody oldschoolers out riding, it feels kinda weird at times. kinda like a bad dream something..Is it like this with other members too?

#2 2011-05-31 4:06pm

duckman
Pro MemberDuck Commander
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: Do you ever see old schoolers riding BMX in your town??

About the same thing where I live .

Show me on the doll where they touched you . It’s Shake and Bake and I helped!

#3 2011-05-31 4:07pm

dc1
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

I haven't seen anyone riding an old school bike in my area yet. I know there are a couple collectors around but I haven't seen them out and about.

#4 2011-05-31 4:10pm

dedmann
Pro Member"is Air-Cooled"
Bikes: 10

everytime i seen an oldschool rig around here there is a tweaker at the helm! the bikes they ride are barely held together..... lol

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#5 2011-05-31 4:11pm

leiper204
Pro Member

It cracks me up when my dad says,boy them bikes sure are nice ,Does anybody around here know what they are? Its like nobody around here really knows much about oldschool bmx anymore

Last edited by leiper204 (2011-05-31 4:12pm)

#6 2011-05-31 4:11pm

bensalembmx1983
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Same here .. we had the Bensalem track right down the street growing up and a killer shop also..but dont see anyone riding OS anymore around here ..Or maybe they do but I cant see them because Im on this museum too much..tongue

"The price of Meat has just gone up  ' An Yer ol' Lady has just gone down "
Look here brother,
Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

#7 2011-05-31 4:11pm

lilmule
Pro Member

Yep,yet I still ride like wind that caress feather of Eagle wing.

#8 2011-05-31 4:14pm

leiper204
Pro Member

Riding my dream bike around town brings back so many memories and such a stress releiver after a hard day at work

#9 2011-05-31 4:31pm

erdalicious
Pro MemberPsycho Silence
Bikes: 37

bensalembmx1983 wrote:

Same here .. we had the Bensalem track right down the street growing up and a killer shop also..but dont see anyone riding OS anymore around here ..Or maybe they do but I cant see them because Im on this museum too much..tongue

Ben, i think you are too much here or with your mind in Amsterdamned to see some oldie bikes, here the same story, no os bikes only newskool bikes ridden by new kids on the block

WTB: * NOS Oakley F1 grips black/yellow * KKT FMX/LMX Pedals * Skyway Tuff Graphite pedals/cages * NOS Oakley 2 red right side only * NOS Oakley 1 red left side only * NOS chrome KKT FMX left side pedal 9/16

#10 2011-05-31 4:35pm

inv3ctiv3
Intermediate
Bikes: 3
Website

I only see people riding around on new SE repop stuff, I often get stuff like "Get RAD" or "CRU JONES!" yelled at me haha.

2011 SE Floval Flyer
1987 Haro FSX
1992 Robinson SST

#11 2011-05-31 4:37pm

adamdawson
Pro MemberHoffman Overlord

back then they were not old school bikes, they were new bikes. now the kids do the same thing.... on new bikes..... which is why you wont see anybody cruising around on old school bikes.  what do you expect?  to see some kid on the corner doing cheerypickers on a trickstar? lol

#12 2011-05-31 5:16pm

mwalsh9152
Pro Member

I live in a town with an NBL track, and had a couple of pretty good bike shops local too, and I never really see anything around. Only thing Ive seen recently was a really clean looking early 80's GT cruiser sitting outside a pizza shop about a month or so ago.

#13 2011-05-31 5:23pm

inkedup
Pro Member>The Thread Killer<
Bikes: 25

Only time I see someone riding old skool is when I ride by a shiny window lol Alot of people respect them and reminisce their childhood, but nobody rides...

REclaiming and customizing the world...  big_smile

#14 2011-05-31 5:26pm

kilrgt
Pro MemberFreestyle, there is no substitute

4 of us old schoolers went for a ride last night, we did about 30 k ( or 20 miles for my American friends), i gotta tell ya , people looked at us like we were aliens. It was priceless to see the look on some peoples faces, smiling and pointing. it was a lot of fun. But I NEVER see old school bikes here

#15 2011-05-31 5:37pm

tglee
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

what do you expect?  to see some kid on the corner doing cheerypickers on a trickstar?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/jeffsalbum/cherrypicker_jersey.jpg

"That LiL Holeshot I built a couple years ago that took Best Mini was a nice bike, but I'll bet most people didn't even see the greatest thing about it. The frame and fork was in awesome condition, and when I started to build it I found residue of car wax in the welds. That means at one time, long ago some little kid enjoyed that bike so much that he sat and stared at it while he waxed it to perfection. That's the kinda stuff I appreciate, and can relate to very well."  John De Bruin-6/21/09

#16 2011-05-31 5:38pm

IMOALE
Intermediate

Just a bunch of guys riding bikes they get for free to ride to work, then I hound them and trade them for some 3 speed towny I got for 20 bucks.  So It works for me.  Just met a guy who hunts my area hate the competition.

#17 2011-05-31 5:42pm

Capt. Nemo
SE Racing Addict
Bikes: 49

Not too many old schoolers riding, but you can bet everytime I ride by someone about my age on an OS rig or retro, they give it a double take.

It happened to me about 4 times yesterday. yikes

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us"...

And I'll look down and whisper "no".

#18 2011-05-31 5:49pm

tonesharo
Museum Addict

I never see any people riding any "old school" bikes or freestyle bikes around at all around here in my part of MA.hmm

#19 2011-05-31 6:23pm

manida
Pro Member
Bikes: 24

IMOALE wrote:

Just a bunch of guys riding bikes they get for free to ride to work, then I hound them and trade them for some 3 speed towny I got for 20 bucks.  So It works for me.  Just met a guy who hunts my area hate the competition.

Same here, I just shared some old school bike knowledge with a guy in my town....now I have cl competition.  This stuff is hard enough to find locally already! Ugh.

#20 2011-05-31 6:29pm

80sbikedude
ModeratorBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Bikes: 65
Website

Yeah, every now and then......people will stop me and ask about my bikes. Want to know where I got it, etc.............they always say they had one or knew somebody that had one back when they were kids.

ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily
WTB: Murray X20c/Free Spirit F/F or Huffy Pro Lightning F/F
If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"~~~Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water!

Hook 'Em Horns

#21 2011-05-31 6:59pm

changachump
Pro MemberMikey likes it
Bikes: 4

I'm the only one in my area that I know of. I occasionally see some young Asian kids
on chrome BMXs, but they're too fast to ID! lol
I get comments, too. Usually from guys my age out strolling with their families.
"Wow, Skyway" or "old school" or "I had one".
Pretty cool, but lonely. sad   lollollol
I get the "bad dream" analogy.

Last edited by changachump (2011-05-31 7:00pm)

[img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27489/ta5964a92927.jpg[/img]
A lie goes around the world in the morning while the truth is still putting it's pants on.
"Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free." - Red
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."
"We're all gonna die, but right now we're not dead." -Joe Rogan

#22 2011-05-31 7:13pm

hackettman
Museum Addict

I live 15 min outside Manhattan and the only time i see old school rides is at the ride the people on the site put together. All the young heads around me don't have a clue where and when bmx started hmm no brakes and wallgoose's it is sad sad my daughter knows more about old school bmx she even built a 86 expert because she think that new bike or ugly lolcool i'll tell you what when we ride are bikes people stop and look even the young heads. wink

Do Or Do Not There Is No Try

#23 2011-05-31 7:25pm

EricInIndy

I'm starting my first build and cant wait till im done.And if i have to ride alone,.....I will ride with one hand on the grip and the other flipin the bird....I CARE NOT!!!!...lmao

Man i LOVE orange.....I would probly ride a wheel of cheese

#24 2011-05-31 7:26pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

adamdawson wrote:

back then they were not old school bikes, they were new bikes. now the kids do the same thing.... on new bikes..... which is why you wont see anybody cruising around on old school bikes.  what do you expect?  to see some kid on the corner doing cheerypickers on a trickstar? lol

lol

I love dead people....

#25 2011-05-31 7:28pm

baron340
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

I ride around West Chester about three evenings a week.  I'm the only one.  I had a couple of local guys who collect say that they would be into riding, but that didn't happen.

Do not deal with Niagara Cycles, NY. 

Looking for AC 180mm drive side crank arm chrome.

Board footer

View Cart →