You are not logged in.

frame stripping steps

#1 2007-11-07 1:57pm

BridgeCity

frame stripping steps

Get a good quality paint stripper.
Use safety glasses, rubber gloves and have quick access to running water.
good ventilation is a must. the stripper is dangerous!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/1Stripper.jpg

Apply the stripper and wait
Patience is a virtue.
Apply thick, wet and heavy
The warmer the room temperature the better it will activate
Use a powerwasher such as the carwash for maximum removal power.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/2spray.jpg

Detail work by hand.
Lots of manual labor but here is where you have to do a nice job.
I did the paint stripping in 40 degree weather so I had to do a LOT of manual scraping.
I used an old kitchen knife and gentle scraping.  Maybe 2hrs of scraping.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/3manualscrape.jpg

This is the part I enjoy where you can really see the human effort that was put into a bike frame.  Note the detail in the gusseting and the roll mark for the mild steel tubing. Cool stuff.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/5details.jpg

Once you have the paint removed you can lightly sand and steelwool the frame to the desired finish.  Paint has a certain thickness so you don’t have to polish this as smooth as a baby's behind.

Note the handlebars in the seat post. you want a good way to move the frame around once it is wet. because sure enough you'll touch it on something and cause much swearing.
have an idea where you are going to hang the frame out of the way BEFORE you start painting. (free of dust and blowing wind/debris, kids, pet hair, etc)

a good bright flourescent strip is great lighting and be sure to look at the frame from all angles. it's funny how obvious a spot can be overlooked by viewing at a different angle.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/4sand.jpg

Painting:

Powder is applied at the shop and goes on directly over the raw metal
Epoxy paint, applied directly over the raw metal. (easiest and most durable for the cheap do it yourself work)

Regular paint, lots of thin coats and let them dry.
Start with a primer to just cover the metal, don’t make the primer thick, just a protective coat.
Paint layers should be thin and even, if you get too thick you’ll see runs. Take your time.

Use similar brand primer and paint to avoid conflicts.
if you don’t understand the difference between lacquer, enamel, etc.  buy the same brand from same place on shelf at the store is a safe bet.
Add a clear coat of same brand after the paint is very dry and “cured"

Personally I like good old Testors. Great selection of color and it goes on very smoothly. The candy paints in the automotive section are beautiful, too. (see don vader's bike from rockford 2007)
Automotive paint hardener is great but it takes a bit more effort to acquire and apply.

#2 2007-11-07 2:05pm

chromey
Pro MemberObi-Wan Chromey
Bikes: 17

Re: frame stripping steps

Thank you very much!
very helpful.. I've had some painting mishaps....

and was always curious how tempuratue can make the job harder..

I hate that it's becoming winter.. and I have things to paint.. and no indoor areas to do it.

ugh.

(gimme another month of warm weather please!!!)
smile

— — — — —
"every move is like a lightning..."

#3 2007-11-07 7:23pm

BridgeCity

by the way, if you make your own little paint area, use an old fan or two to pull the paint fumes away from the area to the outside.
wear a mask.
take breaks away from the paint fumes.

keep the paint cans in a container of hot water prior to using.

you can warm the frame by keeping it in the house prior to painting.
use a couple of little electric space heaters to help warm the paint area.

make sure important items are free and clear of overspray.

I'm not paint expert, those are just things I've discovered along the way.
maybe an expert painter like Lou can chime in on perfecting a paint job.
cheers!

#4 2007-11-08 12:30am

13reggie
Intermediate

Great info, MAN

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

#5 2007-11-08 9:34am

jbbooks

I don't think using a heater in the paint area is good idea.
Can cause explosion.
I use a furnace filter behind the fan to keep overspray out of the fan and keep it from going outside onto something I don't want painted.

#6 2007-11-08 10:16am

BridgeCity

good point on the heater. Definitely use your best judgment for the specific area in which you are working.

another hint, the frame should be grease and oil free so you may need to wash the frame off with a degreaser. 
I use regular dish soap, then make sure the frame is completely dry before starting to paint.  touch the frame with your hands as little as possible after washing.

#7 2007-11-08 4:47pm

stillpedal36
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

an aerosol window cleaner with amonia is a good raw metal prep as well , remember to try and get an etch-prime when working with bare steel or chromo too ...better adhesion as far as paint practice---epoxy most durable , laquer second best but a lil harder to work with on small tubing , acrylic super easy like said keep layer's thin and put many on....and the clear is definite insurance on any coat lasting longer....remember fresh air is a must or you'll get a so-so paint job and a headache taboot...

c'mon springtime yikes i wanna ride !!!

#8 2007-11-28 7:19pm

TODD74
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 3
Website

I DID AN OLD BIKE A FEW WEEKS AGO JUST TO SEE HOW IT WOULD COME OUT, I USED HIGH TEMP ENGINE PAINT, AND THE PRIMER IT CAME WITH FROM THE AUTO PARTS STORE, THE BIKE CAME OUT REALLY GOOD AND I GAVE IT TO MY NEPHEW, IT WAS A 87 PERFOMER WITH JUNK PARTS, JUST TO RIDE AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND A GUY STOPPED AND GAVE HIM $325.00 FOR IT! NOW WE GOTTA START ALL OVER - LIKE I'M COMPLAINING!

IF IT HAS SPOKES,I'LL DRIVE IT

#9 2007-12-21 9:44pm

NORCAL BOSS
Bikes: 4

good stuff right there thanks

#10 2008-01-01 8:09pm

lcfc
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 5

Hi all living in the uk is cold at the best of times, even more so now winter is well and truely here.

A little tip i found that works really well,especially if you want a really shinny finish either with plain old one coat auto paint or laqauer is as you are applying the desired finishing top coat use a hair dryer on its hottest/fastest setting, and believe me it drys looking wet, and there is not a shine as good as you get than when paint is wet.

Its also good if the unthinkable happens and you get a run around the weld points of the frame because a "puddle" has formed, you can if you catch it soon enough just guild it back from where it came from, keep the heat on for a good min or so and fix it in position.

#11 2008-01-06 1:12pm

bert
Bikes: 3

Did it while watching the playoffs yesterday. Took both games to finish, before and after pics. Calling a couple of places on monday about chroming
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/9058

#12 2008-01-17 5:30pm

kuwahero
Bikes: 1

helpful guide thanks for the pointers. gonna start the strip on my Bravo KT at the weekend.

#13 2008-02-20 1:36am

redmin
Website

Is it ok to sandblast most frames? Assuming that one would want to use the cleanest base metal for an anodizing, or a more transparent powder coat finish. And also for vacuum pressure impregnation of the metal and impregnation powder coats.

dee deeee dee

#14 2008-02-20 5:31am

BridgeCity

past info from other's says that sandblasting is too intense for bike frames and may alter the look of the welds. there are other media that can be blasted, you would want to thoroughly quiz your blaster before letting them loose on a bike frame.

#15 2008-02-20 9:43am

redmin
Website

BridgeCity wrote:

past info from other's says that sandblasting is too intense for bike frames and may alter the look of the welds. there are other media that can be blasted, you would want to thoroughly quiz your blaster before letting them loose on a bike frame.

Ahh...I see. Thanks for the info. I was wondering if anyone ever considered impregnating (i know, it sounds bad but it really is a technical term) a bike frame. I dunno if I should post a seperate thread for that or not.  Check out wwwimprexusa.com for more information about this process. It works great with aluminum metals from what I've seen.

dee deeee dee

#16 2008-02-20 10:20am

BridgeCity

yah, i've never heard of that process. why not start a new thread with that in  the title...but you'll get many one liners, i'm sure.  wink

"well I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'd like to date your frame"....  I believe it's a 1981! ba da bing!

#17 2008-02-20 10:33am

redmin
Website

BridgeCity wrote:

yah, i've never heard of that process. why not start a new thread with that in  the title...but you'll get many one liners, i'm sure.  wink

"well I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'd like to date your frame"....  I believe it's a 1981! ba da bing!

LOL smile Knee Slapper -(slaps elbow) wink

dee deeee dee

#18 2008-02-23 9:48pm

egrocket94
Bikes: 2

thanks for write up..

#19 2008-03-12 5:04pm

eric

how would you prep. chrome for paint. and if the chrome is pealing any hints.

" THATS ONE BAD HAT HARRY"

#20 2008-03-13 6:41am

BridgeCity

I really don't know the specifics on prepping chrome but you could PM Lou who would know as he is a professional painter.

My assumption is that it needs to be well sanded to rough it up, or some kind of chemical etching agent to provide a "gripping" surface

#21 2008-04-21 11:38pm

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater

if you goto sherwin williams or somewhere like carquest buy the stripper called "aircraft stripper" it is the most powerfull kind and made to strip enamels etc, i know i use to be a bathtub refinisher (similar to automotive but ..bathtubs..). be carefull, i t will disolve gloves and it burns liek a mf'er if it gets on you.
http://www.crashsupply.com/csupply/images/items/klegar343grd.jpg
its the strongest around no competition, but get the kind labeled "low odor" if you can find it.

the stripper is dangerous!

ive heard that one before smile

Last edited by apocalypse dude (2008-04-21 11:40pm)

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#22 2008-04-23 6:02am

RadicalRick
Expert

Another good/cheap idea as opposed to using a kitchen knife is to use wood scraps to scrape the chemical treated paint off.  One nice side effect of this for me was that it retained the markings on the chromoly so they were actually readable once the paint was removed.  very cool!

#23 2008-04-23 7:03am

SpeedFreakZX12
Banned
Bikes: 6

i LOOOOVE getting paint remover on the outside of my hands! lol holy crap that burns. at first you think ehh not bad but it keeps getting hotter even if you wash them till you think your skin is going to peel off lol im going to start a thread on who dares to put paint remover on odd parts of your body. you guys go first! wink

#24 2008-04-23 7:39am

Reliot
Museum Addict
Bikes: 28

I must have a high tolerance to chemical burns.  I love playing with aircraft stripper without gloves, it tingles when it gets on bare skin.

I need a pair of 29er forks.

#25 2008-04-25 1:04am

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater

dude you are crazy haha, you spilled that kind on you?^^ like you dont wash it off if it gets on your skin? thats crazy

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

Board footer