You are not logged in.

Internal Headset Installation steps

#1 2007-11-03 5:20pm

BridgeCity

Internal Headset Installation steps

For the old schoolers in the crowd, this one is easy. Where else will you ever install a headset with only 2 allen wrenches and no grease?!  smile

This is almost identical to installing a standard 1 1/8th threadless headset on a cro-moly frame.
The difference is that Aluminum frames often have an Internal Cup design to help manage the load on the front end.

The cups are pressed inside of the aluminum head tube.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/1pressedcup-1.jpg

Next you install the listed items directly onto the fork.
1-fork race
2-dust cover
3-sealed bearings (very cool design)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/2lower.jpg

Slip the fork through the headtube then install the next 3 items.

1-sealed bearing
2-a split ring shim that holds the bearing tight
3-top race/dust cover
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/3upper.jpg

Slip the stem on and figure out how many spacers you wish to use.  The local bike shop has a drawer of these so don’t worry about not having the correct item.
On this fork I didn’t want to cut it down so I simply added lots of spacers.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/4spacers.jpg

Make sure the stem sits just a bit higher than the top of the fork so you can properly tighten the system.  In blue I highlighted the star nut that gets pressed down inside the fork, the local bike shop has a tool for installing this so don’t sweat it.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/5stem.jpg

Tighten the headset.
There is a compression bolt that holds everything tight so you have to snug this down to take the play out of the headset. Don’t overtighten, just make the forks snug.
Next tighten the stem bolts gently back and forth to lock everything in place.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/6tighten.jpg

Ride for awhile then test the front end for tightness.

#2 2008-04-03 3:35pm

berty3dp
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

Re: Internal Headset Installation steps

Installation instructions were helpfull, But how do you get em off? I've got an "aheadset" brand headset on a 98 Power Series. Is there a wedge or compresion washer on the inner dimension of the set, wedged between the set and the fork? Not sure, first time dealing with the threadless set up.

#3 2008-04-03 3:37pm

berty3dp
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

Between the top race and the fork.

#4 2008-04-03 4:06pm

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 1
Website

berty3dp wrote:

Installation instructions were helpfull, But how do you get em off? I've got an "aheadset" brand headset on a 98 Power Series. Is there a wedge or compresion washer on the inner dimension of the set, wedged between the set and the fork? Not sure, first time dealing with the threadless set up.

Your '98 GT does not have this type of headset. This 'how to' is for an internal headset which has no bearing cups. They didn't start using these until around 2004.

As for your 1-1/8" threadless headset, there is a compression wedge. It is the last piece that goes on the headset before the spacers and the stem slips over the fork steerer tube.

To remove it, take off the stem by removing the compression bolt and cap from the top of the stem. Then loosen the pinch bolts on the side of the stem. Slide the stem and loose spacers off. If the fork is 'stuck' in the headtube, gently tap downward on the top of the fork steerer tube with a mallet. I use a leather mallet but you can use a rubber mallet or 2x4 scrap if you don't have either. I do not suggest using a metal hammer. If you mushrom the top of the forks the stem may not go back on correctly.

It is actually very easy.

CP

Trust 4130.

#5 2008-04-04 3:24pm

skywayray-banned
Banned
Bikes: 3

If i read these earlier i woulda saved $20. The bike shop charged me that just to install it. Or was it to strip..i can't remember. Anyway, this is very helpful.Thanks BridgeCity and Honda4.

#6 2008-08-20 5:42pm

ST.INC
Expert
Bikes: 5
Website

IM OLD SCHOOL, BUT I HAVE A NEWER SCHWINN BRIAN FOSTER 24" SUPERSTOCK 2 WITH THREADLESS AND I TELL YA I DONT LIKE WORKING WITH THE 1" THREADED ANY MORE

#7 2008-08-20 6:27pm

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
Website

ST.INC wrote:

IM OLD SCHOOL, BUT I HAVE A NEWER SCHWINN BRIAN FOSTER 24" SUPERSTOCK 2 WITH THREADLESS AND I TELL YA I DONT LIKE WORKING WITH THE 1" THREADED ANY MORE

I absolutely prefer threadless over threaded. My headset NEVER comes loose on any of my bikes with threadless. The big key is to make sure you DO NOT use the star nut in the forks for a compression device. Those things tend to loosen quite a bit over time. I always purchase a stem lock that passes through the fork if the fork doesn't have a welded in compression device.

CP

Trust 4130.

#8 2008-08-20 7:03pm

ST.INC
Expert
Bikes: 5
Website

WHERE CAN I FIND A UNIT LIKE THAT? THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER THAN IT ALLREADY IS.

#9 2008-08-20 7:51pm

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
Website

ST.INC wrote:

WHERE CAN I FIND A UNIT LIKE THAT? THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER THAN IT ALLREADY IS.

Several from which to choose here:

http://americancycle.com/itemlist.cfm?category=282

-CP

Trust 4130.

#10 2008-09-14 12:44pm

Philtor210
Expert
Bikes: 6

THANKS!!! Found this very helpful!!!

Looking for these decals: Berringer bar, any S&M shield decals you have.

Looking for these parts, PM me if you have: Pivitol seat, purple rims, Ti 48 spline spindle, any Ti parts.

#11 2010-09-04 7:12pm

troynlori
AdminShipbikes!
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 140

Honda4bmxSnM wrote:

berty3dp wrote:

Your '98 GT does not have this type of headset. This 'how to' is for an internal headset which has no bearing cups. They didn't start using these until around 2004.

As for your 1-1/8" threadless headset, there is a compression wedge. It is the last piece that goes on the headset before the spacers and the stem slips over the fork steerer tube.

To remove it, take off the stem by removing the compression bolt and cap from the top of the stem. Then loosen the pinch bolts on the side of the stem. Slide the stem and loose spacers off. If the fork is 'stuck' in the headtube, gently tap downward on the top of the fork steerer tube with a mallet. I use a leather mallet but you can use a rubber mallet or 2x4 scrap if you don't have either. I do not suggest using a metal hammer. If you mushrom the top of the forks the stem may not go back on correctly.

It is actually very easy.

CP

I've a '98 GT Tour and I'm struggling with this threadless system.  I'm tightening the top nut on the stem lock and it is just turning.  Nothing is tightening.  I'm old school so forgive me if it's something stupid. But if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong in the next minute...that would be sweet.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#12 2010-09-04 8:10pm

troynlori
AdminShipbikes!
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 140

An hour later...I answered my own question.  The compression fitting on the bottom has to be somewhat tightened so it is already grabbing the inside of the fork a bit.  That way it locks a little when you turn the top nut.  Kind of weird if u ask me, but I'm sure it gets the job done.  Now I gotta try to understand a gyro.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#13 2012-06-19 1:06pm

btacks01
Bikes: 2

Nice install guide, thanks for the help.....

#14 2015-05-12 6:12am

ford1981
Pro Member

l'm looking to put a 1-1/8" threadless stem on my Mongoose which has 1" threaded forks what stem would I have to get if I buy a quill adapter 1" to 1-1/8" threadless what rise is needed and diameters of the stem itself?

#15 2015-05-12 6:15am

ford1981
Pro Member

and will I have to buy a threaded or threadless headset?

Board footer