You are not logged in.

Evel Knievel Tribute Bike... NEW SCHOOL STYLE!!  RSS Feed

#1 2011-02-15 4:44am

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Evel Knievel Tribute Bike... NEW SCHOOL STYLE!!

Since joining the Museum I've always loved seeing the rare Hoffman EK tribute bikes, and the even more rare mid-1970's AMF Evel Knievel Model. So after a recent visit to a NJ Skate/BMX park with fellow BMX Museum members, I was struck with inspiration... BUILD A New School Ride... & Pay TRIBUTE to the Biggest BADA$$ to ever do tricks on two wheels. I got some pretty good advice from museum members & a few guys I really trust @ my local bike shop on how to do a PROPER New School BUILD... EVERYONE I asked agreed on three things 1. Go with BIG HANDLEBARS, 2.Keep the back end SHORT & EASY, & 3. STAY LIGHT!!!!! So with all that in mind, and Evel Knievel as my INSPIRATION  A parts list would have to be made... what would EK do? I told myself, EK would go aggressive... so I did, for the frame I went with Skavenger BIKES, "Tunnel"  Vinnie Sammon's Sig. Model. I went with the 20.5 TT & it's got a pretty short rear triangle, she's SWEET & skinny, the TUNNEL weighs in @ a thin 4 pounds 10 ounces. SIDE NOTE: My girls the BEST she went with me to my local  shop helped pick out the frame then put it on her CC & said Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Awesome! So I get the frame home, take a few pic's in the driveway, & then begin prepping for the paint/powder coat strip down. My wife sees me setting up in my shop & asks so what are you doing? I reply, I'm gonna strip off the black powder coat, polish the frame & then do some custom paint. She SMILES, chuckles a little and says have fun... and she meant it... THE BEST!!!!
Stripping the frame the old school way with chem. stripper is NO FUN!!! I'LL post pic's as I progress: But as this build will be a complete custom it may take some time for me to purchase all the components & put all the personal touches on them, ALL MEMBERS should feel free to post any EK inspirational stuff, build ideas, components  & graphic ideas and whatever else ya can think of!!! Thanks for looking!!! Ok heres the frame pre strip...http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/prestrip.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/Headtube.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/nj.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/WISHBONE.jpg I should mention that Vinnie Sammon is a New Jersey Rider, so thats why the brake bridge has the NJ & the name of the frame is the TUNNEL. Mine in one of the first 25 production models more pics soon!

BMX/Freestyle... my fountain of youth.

#2 2011-02-15 5:11am

83dback
LUDE
Bikes: 12

Re: Evel Knievel Tribute Bike... NEW SCHOOL STYLE!!

cool i'm sure this will turn out great as all of your bikes do!!!! jersey style baby!!!

Last edited by 83dback (2011-02-15 10:28am)

Today is yesterday's tomorrow.  D€4L

#3 2011-02-15 7:22am

v0lum3
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2

I hate those internal clamping only seat tube frames, they don't make a single internal clamp that you can get outta the bottom bracket.  Makes barspins damn near impossible!  Other than that sounds like a cool idea!

Oh your bike doesn't have a scratch on it? 

Tell me again what the best parts are.

#4 2011-02-15 9:03am

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

yeah, I know what your saying about the seat post, but i think I may make alterations to fix that!

#5 2011-02-15 9:10am

masscruiser
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

Oh boy,  I cant wait to see this one develop.    Vinny Sammon is a grinding maniac!

WANTED!!    S&M Ditch forks - HARO VECTOR BARS - TIOGA CD DISC -  Blue GRAB ON MX3 grips
NEED :  S&M HAF set,              Woody Itson Strike Zone set,           

I WANT A US TRICKSTAR!!!!!

#6 2011-02-15 9:28am

toberad
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Subscribed

Buy everything... sell nothing

I CAN'T BRAIN TODAY....
i GOT THE STUPID....

#7 2011-02-15 3:16pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

OK had some strip and pic time today, heres what's up... Set up my work table for a paint strip down, only to find it was a Powder Coat finish!! Most of us know there's a pretty big difference in this type of strip down... MAJOR BUMMER!!! Extra time needed. 2nd problem, I've read a bunch of forum stuff on paint & powder removal and decided to try Air Craft Stripper, as it has been very highly recommended on the site here...the temp. here in the North East, I live in NJ is still pretty cold... like freezing still & most chem strippers AKA, Air Craft & Zip Strip for example work best at like 85 to 95 degrees, & my shop is NO WAY that warm so the strippers both Air Craft & Zip Strip did very little stripping to a VERY IMPRESSIVE & TOUGH Satin Black Skavenger Powder Coat... So I went OLD SCHOOL, Palm Sander, Razor Blade, Sand Paper, Steel Wool, Wire Brushes...3 different sizes and about 3 hours today- Started with my heat gun & removed the Skavenger head badge... total time about 1 minute, everything else took FOREVER!!!http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/headbadgeremoval.jpgafter removing the badge I gave the frame an even coat of Air Craft Stripperhttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/headbadge.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/aiircraftremover.jpgwaited about 20-25 minutes & realized this wasn't gonna get it done, no bubbling cracking of paint at ALL!!!So I busted out the Zip Strip and tried the first step again, waited again about 25 minutes to similar resultshttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/zipstrip.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/TopTubeStrip.jpgand finally started to make some headway... I'm a real long way from being finished with the stripping process, I need to take extra care near all the welds... they are so PRETTY I don't want to take them down while trying to remove every speck of powder. More pic's as I progress further!!! Thanks for looking & remember don't be afraid to suggest!!!

Last edited by Flatlandfox (2011-02-15 3:22pm)

#8 2011-02-15 3:48pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/dropoutlookinggood.jpg took close to an hour to get this dropout powder free... Yeah it's worth it!!!

Last edited by Flatlandfox (2011-02-15 3:52pm)

#9 2011-02-15 4:17pm

ryanharley
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9

Wouldn't that nice strong powdercoat have stuck better to your new paint than bare metal? Or are you going for translucent paint on it?

#10 2011-02-15 4:18pm

ryanharley
Museum Addict

Or a two-tone/shiny scheme?

#11 2011-02-15 4:33pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Yeah I wish I could have left the powder for tack... but Evel's Motorcycle frames were polished metal for the most part, so I'm gonna try an incorporate some aspect of that into the frame finish... just not sure how much POLISHING & CLEAR COAT I really want to take on.

#12 2011-02-15 5:30pm

macr0w
Pro Member
Website

That's going to be cool.

I have loved Evil Knievel since I was a kid.

He is one of my all time heros.

I can't wait to see the progress.

A quick media blasting would have gotten all that powder off of there.

cool

"My goal in life is to go into an office and take a brick in an office and put it next to a napkin in an office."

#13 2011-02-15 5:38pm

tonesharo
Museum Addict

Very awesome Dennis. Should be a great build. Keep us posted.

#14 2011-02-15 5:39pm

Roy Munson
Pro MemberWorst PR in BMX
Bikes: 6
Website

Grab a junk plastic spatchula.  Keep stripper on the frame keep coatin and scrapping. Did this to my buddies Ian Schwartz recently. Bastard of a coating ( ED black) . Keep it sharp and it shouldn't mess up the chromoly givin it that dark look still.

#15 2011-02-15 5:47pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

This is gonna be a cool project, I'll be watching it for sure. Long before I knew bmx existed I was trying to be Evel Kneivel on my Schwinn Stingray. My friends and I would set up sketchy wooden ramps and jump over each others bikes or garbage cans...and we all ate crap plenty of times.
Two tips that might help ya on the stripping...try warming the can of stripper in a pot of warm water, and only try to strip about 6 to 8 inches at a time, that way the stripper won't start drying as soon.

#16 2011-02-15 5:59pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Thanks for the warm water tip... sounds good!!!

#17 2011-02-15 6:01pm

nvmyslowride
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 57

I cant wait to see this. The guy who painted evel's real bikes lives down the street from me smile

PLEASE FIND US IN THE NON-BMX SECTION UNDER Charities, Donations etc... Yes there is one!

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=324898

MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX PARTS.

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!

#18 2011-02-15 6:13pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

Flatlandfox wrote:

Yeah I wish I could have left the powder for tack... but Evel's Motorcycle frames were polished metal for the most part, so I'm gonna try an incorporate some aspect of that into the frame finish... just not sure how much POLISHING & CLEAR COAT I really want to take on.

sounds like a cool build but they do not allready sell this frame model in raw?

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#19 2011-02-15 6:14pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

Flatlandfox wrote:

sounds like a cool build but they do not allready sell this frame model in raw?

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#20 2011-02-15 6:21pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Nope Blue or Black Powder Coat... NO RAW!!!

#21 2011-02-16 3:30am

alexanderrw
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

Subscribed

"Semper Fidelis!"

"Home Of The Free, Because Of The Brave!"

"Always Say You Did Rather Than You Wish You Had!"

Freestylin' In Fitchburg, MA & Racing At The Former Lakeview BMX Race Track In Lunenburg, MA In The '80's

#22 2011-02-16 3:57am

SPOAlowairchamp
Deth Rider Southern Prez

Looks like a cool project.  I want to see you jump that thing wearing a cape when it's finished.

Drive by Truckers - Shut up and get on the plane
Black Flag - My war
Jane's Addiction - My time
Misfits - Vampira
Overkill - Hell's getting hotter
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call me the breeze
King Tee feat Tha Alkaholiks - I got it bad y'all
The Meatmen - French people suck

#23 2011-02-16 11:39pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Thanks guys... this one's gonna take a WHILE!!!!!

#24 2011-02-17 5:18pm

Flatlandfox
Museum Addict

Finally removed about 99% of the powder coat... what a pain in the A$$!!! & now the real fun begins POLISHING!!!! more pics soon...http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/flatlandfox/Evel%20Knievel%20Tribute%20Bike/SkavTunnelDropOutpolished.jpg

#25 2011-02-17 5:26pm

ryanharley
Museum Addict

pretty dropouts

Board footer

View Cart →