How to Shiny Side Rims

#26 2011-03-26 7:08am

jlewis
Diving Suits & Fishin' Sticks
Signed up: 2009-09-19
Bikes: 27

Re: How to Shiny Side Rims

Dirty Habits wrote:

Bro, If I Send You A Pair Of Wheels.........How Much Will You Charge Me To Shiny The Side Rims? smile

To be honest fellas, it probably wouldn't be worth it.  It's a PITA and makes a huge mess, and takes me about 4 hours to shiney side a set of new, unlaced hoops.  If the hoops aren't new, I'm guessing more sanding would be required to remove any nicks and scratches.  And if the wheels are already laced, it'll take even longer.  Plus you'd have to ship them to me and I'd have to ship them back.  Honestly, you could probably buy everything you need to do them yourself for less $ than I would charge to do them.

Not to say that I'm unwilling to help, but I'm guessing it'll be cost prohibitive.  roll

I suppose that if you wanted me to shiny side a new set of Porkchop hoops, I might be willing to do it.  I could just buy the hoops from Justin, shiny side them, and then ship them to you.  Still wouldn't be cheap, though....

#27 2011-03-26 5:51pm

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberCock The Hammer, It’s Time 4 Action!
Signed up: 2008-11-10
Bikes: 47
For Sale: 21

jlewis wrote:

Dirty Habits wrote:

Bro, If I Send You A Pair Of Wheels.........How Much Will You Charge Me To Shiny The Side Rims? smile

To be honest fellas, it probably wouldn't be worth it.  It's a PITA and makes a huge mess, and takes me about 4 hours to shiney side a set of new, unlaced hoops.  If the hoops aren't new, I'm guessing more sanding would be required to remove any nicks and scratches.  And if the wheels are already laced, it'll take even longer.  Plus you'd have to ship them to me and I'd have to ship them back.  Honestly, you could probably buy everything you need to do them yourself for less $ than I would charge to do them.

Not to say that I'm unwilling to help, but I'm guessing it'll be cost prohibitive.  roll

I suppose that if you wanted me to shiny side a new set of Porkchop hoops, I might be willing to do it.  I could just buy the hoops from Justin, shiny side them, and then ship them to you.  Still wouldn't be cheap, though....

OKAY!!! I Guess You Don't Want To Make Some Easy Money$$$$$$$$$$ big_smile   J/K Thank's Bro!!! lol

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pXMBPm4q/dirty-tequila-logo.jpg[/img]
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

#28 2011-03-27 8:37am

jaxon53
Intermediate
Signed up: 2009-05-10

Sweet wheels, great post!

85 GT Performer
87 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team   Looking for parts for both
Love Peregrine stuff!

#29 2011-03-27 9:40pm

jays24
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2007-12-02

I've done the same to quite a few wheel sets but you don't have to put THAT much work into it.  You can get away with doing it without that many different grits of sand paper.  Also, I know it does the job but you should invest in a buffer, not a grinder.  A grinder is for grinding, not buffing and you can ruin things in a heartbeat and a grinder spins WAY too fast.

#30 2011-03-27 9:44pm

RallyeTech02
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2011-03-19

Good looking wheels!  Gotta appreciate a little elbow grease!

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'"

***I'm a DK addict!!!***

#31 2011-03-29 6:51pm

sandys007
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-04-28
Bikes: 6

nice:)

Chicago Gearhead

#32 2011-04-06 4:00pm

jamesgs4
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2011-03-29
Bikes: 12

jays24 wrote:

I've done the same to quite a few wheel sets but you don't have to put THAT much work into it.  You can get away with doing it without that many different grits of sand paper.  Also, I know it does the job but you should invest in a buffer, not a grinder.  A grinder is for grinding, not buffing and you can ruin things in a heartbeat and a grinder spins WAY too fast.

+1, you could sand those with 600 and go straight to the buffing wheel for he same results. Starting at 80 grit is for removing sand casting marks, and is totally unnecessary when starting with smooth aluminum.

#33 2011-04-06 4:41pm

jlewis

jamesgs4 wrote:

jays24 wrote:

+1, you could sand those with 600 and go straight to the buffing wheel for he same results. Starting at 80 grit is for removing sand casting marks, and is totally unnecessary when starting with smooth aluminum.

If you want to spend a lot longer sanding, go ahead and start with 600 grit paper.  Don't forget that you have to remove the ano first and it'll take a lot longer to remove the ano with 600 grit paper.

I guarantee you I'll be done before you if you start with 600 grit.  tongue   I've done it.... I know....  big_smile

Last edited by jlewis (2011-04-06 4:48pm)

#34 2011-04-06 4:42pm

jlewis

Oops.... double post...

Last edited by jlewis (2011-04-06 4:50pm)

#35 2011-04-06 4:43pm

jlewis

jays24 wrote:

Also, I know it does the job but you should invest in a buffer, not a grinder.  A grinder is for grinding, not buffing and you can ruin things in a heartbeat and a grinder spins WAY too fast.

Umm.... okay.....  geez, I guess you're right.... these would have turned out so much shinier than mirrors if only I used a buffer instead of a grinder.  roll

Last edited by jlewis (2011-04-06 5:44pm)

#36 2011-04-07 10:15am

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Signed up: 2011-01-07
Bikes: 19
Website

I always thought a buffer was higher rpm than a grinder...

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#37 2011-04-07 7:40pm

jays24
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2007-12-02

jlewis wrote:

jays24 wrote:

Also, I know it does the job but you should invest in a buffer, not a grinder.  A grinder is for grinding, not buffing and you can ruin things in a heartbeat and a grinder spins WAY too fast.

Umm.... okay.....  geez, I guess you're right.... these would have turned out so much shinier than mirrors if only I used a buffer instead of a grinder.  roll

Did I say it would turn out better?  No I didn't so go re-read my comment smartass.  And no, buffers are slower rpm than grinders, go look at some of the stuff out there that other people have polished that have rounded corners which is caused by either using a grinder or just over polishing.  I know what I'm talking about, I've been doing this a long time but go ahead and continue to use your GRINDER to POLISH. roll

#38 2011-04-07 10:10pm

Johnnny
Website

jays24 wrote:

jlewis wrote:

jays24 wrote:

Did I say it would turn out better?  No I didn't so go re-read my comment smartass.  And no, buffers are slower rpm than grinders, go look at some of the stuff out there that other people have polished that have rounded corners which is caused by either using a grinder or just over polishing.  I know what I'm talking about, I've been doing this a long time but go ahead and continue to use your GRINDER to POLISH. roll

can you please link me an example of each piece of equipment (grinder vs polisher) RPM specs... I googled and saw the opposite as far as 6" average sized discs go.... I know it's opposite for my profession... grinders are low rpm and polishers are variable to fast and buffers are only high speed.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but honestly... just want to learn and educate myself.

#39 2011-04-09 4:10am

jamesgs4
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2011-03-29
Bikes: 12

jlewis wrote:

jamesgs4 wrote:

jays24 wrote:

If you want to spend a lot longer sanding, go ahead and start with 600 grit paper.  Don't forget that you have to remove the ano first and it'll take a lot longer to remove the ano with 600 grit paper.

I guarantee you I'll be done before you if you start with 600 grit.  tongue   I've done it.... I know....  big_smile

Yep, forgot how hard anodizing is, but I think 80 grit is still too rough. Maybe start with 180 or 220, then 320, then 400, then polish.

#40 2011-04-09 7:26pm

jlewis

Anybody interested in these blue shiny-sided hoops (just the hoops)?   I've decided to use the hubs and spokes for a different wheelset.  Send me a PM if you're interested.  cool

EDIT:  Wheels are sold!

Last edited by jlewis (2011-07-21 7:10am)

#41 2011-04-19 2:40pm

Pure Desire
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2011-04-19

I have some anodizing coming off a set of new school rims from braking, since I don't run brakeless roll , and was thinking about taking off the tires and just hand sanding down the sides and not worrying about polishing so much as a consistent removal of the anodizing. Should I go gritwise, something like 80-120-220-400-600? Wet or dry?

#42 2011-04-19 3:22pm

jlewis

If you're gonna hand sand just to remove the ano, I would use 80 grit with a sanding block (maybe a nice flat block of 2x4).  Should be all you need!  big_smile

#43 2011-04-20 3:05am

Pure Desire
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2011-04-19

jlewis wrote:

If you're gonna hand sand just to remove the ano, I would use 80 grit with a sanding block (maybe a nice flat block of 2x4).  Should be all you need!  big_smile

Wouldn't that remove a lot of the alloy? Should I wet sand or dry sand?

#44 2011-04-21 6:22pm

jlewis

Pure Desire wrote:

jlewis wrote:

Dry sand with 80 grit and you should be all set.  You'll know when you're through the ano.... just stop there and I don't think you'll remove much alloy at all.  cool

#45 2011-04-21 7:43pm

Johnnny
Website

jlewis wrote:

Pure Desire wrote:

jlewis wrote:

Dry sand with 80 grit and you should be all set.  You'll know when you're through the ano.... just stop there and I don't think you'll remove much alloy at all.  cool

I did that when I was 13 years old in the 80s... worked great smile

#46 2011-05-01 11:19am

Oaktown Massive
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-04-18
Bikes: 2
Website

great thread!  subscribed -  thanks jlewis smile

1 9 7 7   R a c e   I n c.   R A - 7                    1 9 7 9   R e d   L i n e   M X I I

#47 2011-05-04 8:50am

72ss454
Pro MemberRETIRED SKATEBOARD COLLECTOR
Signed up: 2010-08-26
Bikes: 4

I bought a purple set that Jeff had done.  All I can say is Wow!  These pictures do not come close to showing how great the wheels look in person.

I keep buying and selling, so I guess I wasn't happy with the four I had left.

#48 2011-05-19 5:25am

bender76
Expert
Signed up: 2011-05-03

Nice thread!! THX!!

#49 2011-06-07 2:02pm

clubautio
Signed up: 2011-06-07

Sweet dude.  Those rims are the shiz

#50 2011-06-23 5:48am