You are not logged in.

3 piece crank/Euro BB Install steps

#1 2007-10-26 5:45pm

BridgeCity

3 piece crank/Euro BB Install steps

I’ve noticed the old school crowd can make a pristine old school bike but we struggle with the new school stuff. Here is a quick overview with some logic thrown in….as if you were in the garage with your Pops.

Clean threads well then grease heavy with a good grease (I like walmart Slick 50 Teflon grease)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/1.jpg

Parts: not all washers are used. Just use as needed for alignment.  Note the 19mm spacer I had to use for the sprocket (pound in by laying flat on wood surface with a nylon spacer between hammer and surface)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/2.jpg

Hold up the threaded bearings and spacer against the Bottom Bracket to confirm you have the correct spacer length.  The spacer holds the bearings in place so the spacer length is crucial.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/3.jpg

Heavy grease and careful threading. The bearings are Left/Right specific and will both tighten in the same direction. 
---->>>>To loosen remember that you turn the bearings the same direction as the tire spins.<<<<---- 
I didn’t have a spanner so I wrapped the bearings in an old towel and gently tightened with pliers. If you slip you’ll scratch the alloy.  Be sure the spacer in the middle is free to move as you tighten the bearings, it will try to wedge sideways.  The shaft should slip through but may take a little coaxing especially if brand new.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/4.jpg

Pull the drive arm into place by tightening the outer bolt. Tighten the sprocket bolt onto arm.  You do this first because you logically know the arm has to fit flush to the shaft.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/5.jpg

Put the drive side on and check chain alignment, sprocket rub on chain stays and distance of arm to the frame.  This is where you have to decide how thick a spacer you need between the drive arm and the bearing. No right answer, just good judgment.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/6.jpg

Check alignment for the non-drive arm. The larger sloped spacer is necessary against the bearing and you need the shaft to be slightly shorter than the inner surface of the arm so you have room to tighten. [If not enough spacers, the arm will be loose when you tighten the arm bolt clear down] add spacers until you like the spacing compared to the drive arm
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/7.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/8.jpg

Proper tightening technique! This is why you see old flights with cracked arms. Do this right!  Snug the outer bolt so the arm is in place, back it off, tighten the 2 pinch bolts as you would a stem, notice that the bolts are small so don’t use gorilla force or they’ll strip.  Lastly, tighten the outer bolt so everything is tight and locked in place.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/9.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/10.jpg

Double check your alignments and fix spacing as needed with your pile of misc. thickness spacers
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/11.jpg

Remember lots of grease on everything or these euro bottom brackets will get creaky.
Ride for about an hour then retighten, especially if this is new Hardware.

#2 2007-12-21 9:47pm

NORCAL BOSS
Signed up: 2007-12-20
Bikes: 4

Re: 3 piece crank/Euro BB Install steps

nice thanks for the tip

#3 2008-01-08 11:05pm

13reggie
Intermediate
Signed up: 2007-10-11

GOOD TO KNOW!!!

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

#4 2008-02-22 11:58am

BridgeCity

Here is some handy info regarding the various types of BB's.

Dan's comp magazine has a great little write-up in the corner of the crank page.
Here is the info minus the pics:

American- The original BB for BMX also referred to as Pro size.  The bearing rests in a cup that is pressed into the frame.  The bearings are large and durable but typically heavier than other types.

European-  European BB's use small cups that thread into the frame, making installation easy.  Since the bearings are small, most Euro BB kits use four bearings to spread the load.

Spanish-  Spanish BB's use a bearing that presses directly into the frame without the use of a cup for a clean, flush look.  Spanish bearings are larger than the European bearings, but still smaller than an American bearing.

Mid- Mid BB's use an American sized bearing that presses directly into the frame without the use of a cup, leaving a flush fit.  The bearings are strong, but slightly heavier than Spanish bearings.

#5 2008-04-08 9:12am

t1bosie
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2008-04-08

I have been seaching all over for the information you are showing.  Thank you!  I am trying to do something a little differnt though.  I have an older crank off from a Specillized 415 that I would like to put on a mountain bike frame with a Euro BB.  (The montain bike frame fits a kids seat for my son.).  My qeustion is...  Where can I find BB hardware for my crank.  The Specillized crank is a bit old but it looks identical to what is shown in your pictures.  What crank are you using? 

Thanks for your help.

#6 2008-04-08 9:50am

BridgeCity

hmmm, hardware for the BB.  well depending on the style it is probably still in production.
I would recommend contacting your local bike shop so they can look through their parts catalogs which are EXTENSIVE.

recently i bought some cranks with a mid BB, so i took it down to the LBS, they recognized the spline pattern and got me a new cromoly Euro spindle for 15 bucks and no shipping costs.

if it's a very odd spline pattern you might have to resort to ebay, but the LBS will know for sure.

#7 2008-06-17 7:23pm

Cruiserific
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-05-06
Bikes: 3

nice R.  I HEART SBC>

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

- Albert Einstein

#8 2009-04-27 1:08pm

chontay
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2009-04-27

Hi guy's

I'm pretty new to all this since my BMX days were many years ago and I didn't have the folding I do today to build that dream setup. Plus I'm more of a skater so this is all a bit learn as I go.

First of all can i fit a set of Redline Flight Cranks to a 1982 Mongoose or are they not compatible?

If I can do I want a US or Euro bottom bracket cos the Euro with the threaded bracket looks like it needs a threaded frame to fit?

Appreciate any pointers and help.

Thanks

Rob

#9 2009-04-27 1:48pm

BridgeCity

your old frame will have an american bottom bracket.
when you purchase the flight cranks, make sure you get an american bottom bracket with it.
(the threaded bottom bracket in these pics is a euro BB, but the installation technique is similar enough that you'll figure it out.)

#10 2009-04-27 1:55pm

chontay
Museum Newbie

Thanks man that really helps. Great how to by the way.

Out of interest, why do pedals come as: for one piece cranks and for 3 piece cranks? What's the difference with between the two that makes them only fit that particular crank?

Cheers

Rob

#11 2009-04-27 2:56pm

BridgeCity

3 piece cranks require pedals with 9/16 in threads.
1 piece cranks require pedals with 1/2 in threads.
Why? good question I don't know the history on why.

#12 2009-04-27 3:24pm

chontay
Museum Newbie

Bridgecity you're a star thanks mate.

See now I'm going to have to embark on a mission to try and find out why!

If I get find anything out I shall post it here.

Thanks again

Rob

#13 2009-04-27 8:06pm

PATTERSON RIDER
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2008-11-07
Bikes: 1

Cool! this is going to help me out on my next build. I have an unknown frame with Euro BB and I was just thinking about this today. Dan's comp lists a Sinz euro BB w/ different sizes113, 118, 122mm I don't know what that means. I also see bearings listed in 20 or 22mm I don't what that means either. Okay I do know that it means different sizes but why do they need to be different sizes?

PR

I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE!

#14 2009-04-27 11:25pm

MiniZ
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2006-05-20

Great tutorial, and the timing is perfect for me. I have an 05/06 Sting frame I am starting to acquire parts for a buildup.  I am planning on Flights, so this is perfect.

Old School Baptized, Mid School Convert
The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get back and not have sex.

#15 2009-04-28 5:26am

BridgeCity

if you look at the redline spindle on dan's comp it shows the length of the spindle as 134mm. (that equates to how far/wide the crank arms will be apart when mounted.

the diameter of the spindle is 19mm.
so this spindle works when you have sealed bearings with an inside diameter of 19mm.
the width of BMX bottom brackets on a frame does vary a bit, and the location of the rear triangle arms comes into play.
but you are safe going with redline specs on width.

the width of the spacer that goes between the bearings will need to be correct and they'll throw in a few sizes with the kit. they are soft alloy so easy to grind or cut down.

if you buy redline flight IIs, just get the BB kit with it and it'll all be correctly matched parts.

Last edited by BridgeCity (2009-04-28 5:27am)

#16 2009-05-26 7:47pm

Giginfrogg
Froggy
Signed up: 2008-11-27

I just got my new flight crank in the mail today.. I was trying to fit the arms onto the spindle in my lap and they are really tight.  and dont just slide right on. do I need to give the crank arm a whack with a mallet to seat the new arm on the spindle. Or pry apart the two pinch bolts a little with a screw driver. lastly I dont have the crank arm pulller yet.. guess I need one.

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#17 2009-05-27 3:10am

chontay
Museum Newbie

I found mine were similar. they're very stiff but more so on one side. So I just loosened the two allan bolts and gave things a tap with a hammer wrapped in a towel. Once you get them started you can use the end bolts to pull the whole thing together. It needs to be pretty tight anyway but they were tighter than I thought they'd be.

Rob

#18 2009-05-27 4:50am

BridgeCity

Remember to grease everything well. 
Tapping is fine, you won't need a puller for these like you would for the profile style arms with smaller splines, or old alloy arms with a tapered shaft.
The spindle will require some tapping to get it started too, just light and firm.

#19 2009-06-02 3:32pm

chontay
Museum Newbie

Ok here's one for you all.

82 Gusset Mongoose Frame and Forks. Brand new skyway tuff II's with shimano freewheel and brand new 180 Redline flight cranks with sealed BB.

Now the chain is dragging on the freewheel and the redline 44T chainwheel when I pedal. You can see a slight miss alignment between both but the freewheel looks straight against the frame and spins perfectly as does the chainwheel.

Short of the frame being bent does anyone know how to adjust this out so they're both aligned with each other? It's driving me nuts. I keep looking at it but can't figure a solution...

Only thing i tried so far was to file down the outer casing of the BB on the chain side a bit to try and bring the chainwheel in a bit but no good unless I do some serious filing on it.

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

#20 2009-06-02 3:34pm

chontay
Museum Newbie

Sorry just to correct, the freewheel isn't actually straight with the frame as that would be wrong but I mean it is straight and true. The wheel is also lined up well in the frame.

#21 2009-06-03 5:32am

BridgeCity

probably need a picture to help.
I've noticed gooses have some misalignment in how the rear loop is welded on so you can't always trust the distance of the chainstays for alignment.  have you turned the bike upside and stood far back to see if the freewheel/sprocket line up and that the chain is running centered on the teeth?

#22 2009-06-03 8:19am

chontay
Museum Newbie

No worries I'll bung up some pics when i get a sec. Yes I have stood back and looked and that's what I mean about them not lining up. The freewheel seems to be straight but over too far compared to the sprocket. So it's dragging the chain against the sprocket and against itself...

I'll post some pics.

#23 2009-06-03 9:21am

BridgeCity

I had a set of dura ace cranks on a cook frame and could not get good alignment. i ended up using a dual cog freewheel which gave me some more play in the chain adjustment  (the 2 sets of gears are offset on the freewheel, rather than having one in the center like a normal freewheel)

#24 2011-05-17 9:02am

Steelersdiehard
Signed up: 2011-02-21

marked

#25 2011-05-18 5:01am

83dback
LUDE
Signed up: 2010-09-28
Bikes: 12