You are not logged in.

Who here races?  RSS Feed

#1 2006-10-01 6:26pm

vct33
Expert
Bikes: 17

Who here races?

I was wondering how many of you guys currently race.  I'm especially interested in the guys that are 30+.  I've been thinking about finding some races for older guys like me but I think I'll make a fool of myself.  Any of you guys start racing after a seriously long hiatus?  It's been 18 years since I've been on a dirt track and at least 15 years since I've been off a jump.  I think I would be nervous to hit a jump real hard at first.  It's funny the things that you can do at age 16 that don't even phase you at all and to think about doing them at 33 is nerve racking.

I brings da ruckus to the ladies.

#2 2006-10-01 6:40pm

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

Re: Who here races?

I have been going to the track as much as possible, and let me tell you, there are some FAAAAAST old guys practicing and racing when I go there. I of course would be as fast if I lost a 125lbs but I am working on that, any way you need to go practice it will freak you out how much harder it is 20 years later!  the upper body strength it takes to land is what is freaking me out, I always knew that I was strong as a kid BUT now I know how WEAK  I really am.

#3 2006-10-01 7:40pm

Thrash
Pro Member
Bikes: 15
Website

I'm 29 and I race, with hiatus' in between. lol.

It's nice to be important but its more important to be nice.
current race rigs:
2012 Yess Pro xxl
2017 Yess type X 24 xl

#4 2006-10-01 8:04pm

BGJG06
Expert
Bikes: 2

I race, when the cops are chasing me!!!! FTP!!!!!!!!!!!

CW ITEMS WANTED!!!!!!!!!

#5 2006-10-01 9:40pm

00_Duck
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
Website

I want to start racing and I'm 34. I've never raced before but I've been in touch with my local bike shop team manager and he gave me some ideas about being a  BMX dad.

There aren't too many guys my age class riding in this area but they do ride. And with  that being said, I was told that if I didn't want to ride with the youngsters and get my a$$ handed to me on 20" bikes then ride 24" cruisers with the dads and guys in my class.  Apparently, that is what most ride around here...at least at the Blue Springs track. So I will be investigating who what when and where and then move forqward with the appropriate bike. I hope to start next year and then ease my son into it when he gets to the age when he can start riding in the dirt.

I think when it comes down to it, practice, practice practice. I have been starting to ride a little urban/flatland lately and I realize that I'm not the jumper/trick rider I used to be! Ha! I mainly ride Mountain bikes on trails and road bikes for charity events. The Freestyle/BMX thing is something I used to do and want to do more of.

Keep riding!

I get this question often so here it is to save everyone time. I do not have any Mongoose DMC decals left. I was lucky enough to find a small bunch of NOS decal sets in an old bike shop that no longer exists and I have since sold them all. Sorry. I wish you all the best of luck with your DMC builds.

#6 2006-10-02 5:30am

vct33
Expert
Bikes: 17

Duck brings up a good point that I didn't think about.  I would want to race 20" bmx bikes.  Would that create a huge obstacle for me?  I've never owned a cruiser and I really don't plan to.  I've always just really liked the 20" bikes.

I brings da ruckus to the ladies.

#7 2006-10-02 5:52am

lambohaha
The Kid Countach

Ya know Duck prolly is right. I`ve never owned a 24" cruiser but about 20 years ago I did have a 24" MTB and man let me tell ya it was some kinda fun to ride. Now at the time I was 6`0", 185# and went back and forth `tween the 20`s and that 24 and recall having more of blast with that 24"er. Sad part is, it got stolen and I never replaced it but I may now when I think about it. If you know someone that has a 24 give it a try ya never know. I know, I`m a fan of 20`s also but...can`t hurt.
Back to my size; I`m the same now as I was then just older with a bum collar bone. Lol!! big_smile From all things, a 20"er lol. Oooooooo well!

#8 2006-10-02 8:30am

zrtom

After 20 years I started racing cruiser. In my first race I went up against a couple of 30+ riders & a couple of teens. I thought that there was no way I would qualify. I smoked the teens! That was great for my ego even though I almost puked & they weren't even out of breath. I raced last season all on cruiser against some of the fastest old guys ever in the 38+ class. I was a great way to get back into shape but never got better than a third place. This year I switched to 20" because I got a great deal on a new bike. I never raced cruiser as a kid. There are more old guys in the 20' class and we are more closely matched. We all ave the attitude that we still have to work on Monday so let's not crash! We are staying healthy and showing our kids that we are cool enough race.

#9 2006-10-02 8:38am

lambohaha
The Kid Countach

Kewl! big_smile

#10 2006-10-02 9:34am

woodsrj2003

I haven't raced in 15 yrs...gonna be 30 the end of this month... but i'm lookin forward to gettin back out there.  I need to ride more, just get used to the bikes again, because I'm much more cautious about my movements on the bikes, especially the 20" than I used to be.  Racing has changed so much though.  It looks really intimidating when you watch, even in our age group.  But I'm lookin forward to learning the newer stuff like how to manual the jumps.  The way the guys can handle their bikes today is amazing and just looks cool! 
I'm really hoping I find a group of guys that feel the same way, ZR, that we have to make it to work on Monday. 
Go for it, VCT!

#11 2006-10-02 10:49am

zrtom

The bikes, tracks & riding style has changed a lot. Clip-on shoes?!?
I found a great track that is perfectly groomed so it is real smooth. That alone helped me overcome the fear of the huge jumps. Manualing is tough. I don't have the balance I use to, but it is coming back the more I ride. The longer new bike inspire more confidence too. I took my '84 GT to the track & it was way scary because it was too short & too tall.

#12 2006-10-02 11:06am

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

yeah manualing is hard as shite, especially when your fat.

#13 2006-10-02 1:26pm

pjcruiser
Pro Member
Bikes: 12
Website

that is me on the #33 bike. i am 36 now and have been racing again since '97.  i have raced cruiser for all these years (real easy to get used to and some great classes)  i am going to be racing 20" this next season.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/pjcruiser/100_1575.jpg

"HOME OF THE FREE... BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!"

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'what a ride!'"

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

#14 2006-10-03 3:07am

RealFox
Museum Addict
Bikes: 23
Website

Ok, I'm not making this up, but I kick *all* my friend's butts around here on the track near my place in Charleston. No, they're not bike freaks like us here at the Museum, but they do race. Anywho, I am 35 almost 36, they are between the ages of 17 and 25, and I whoop they lil @sses, lol. I'll put up my track bike inna day or two, so ya'll can check it out. smile

"Head like a hole, black as your soul, I'd rather die than give you control..." NIN

#15 2013-01-26 6:41am

bird
R.I.P

37 and i race

44T CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
WANTED::::anything reynolds racing
WANTED::::bandito jersey
WANTED::::yellow panaracer tire 1 1/8
WANTED::::jmc pit bike
WANTED::::less talk,more riding

#16 2013-01-26 7:22am

norelk98
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Im 39 AND JUST GETTIN BACK IN THE GAME AFTER 26 years. Built two bikes this year to race. Im gonna start 20" and see how it goes. Been watching a lot of video lately and practicing. I am going to keep both wheels on the ground and really focus on manualling. Ill save the jumps for later. I realized that the basics are most important while trying to teach my daughter over the winter. Built her a powerlite and she is doing real well with her balance. Amazing how much a nine year old can teach you about yourself. She told me she wanted to jump and i said "youll get hurt if you try to exceed your abilities" then the light bulb went on.  STICK TO THE BASICS, pedaling, balance, timing, and THE GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything else will come back to you or you will just find yourself getting better and better. Also find a bike that has a nice long top tube, adjust your bars so you can coast on youre rear wheel, and get a set of cranks that fit youre stride. 44 / 16 still applies in my book...

Last edited by norelk98 (2013-01-26 7:51am)

BMX! Paying Emergency Room doctor's mortgages since 1975!!!

#17 2014-05-14 7:16am

bird
R.I.P

bump a roo

44T CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
WANTED::::anything reynolds racing
WANTED::::bandito jersey
WANTED::::yellow panaracer tire 1 1/8
WANTED::::jmc pit bike
WANTED::::less talk,more riding

Board footer