You are not logged in.

The start of My Custom Titanium Cruiser  RSS Feed

#51 2011-02-19 2:26pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie
Bikes: 7

Re: The start of My Custom Titanium Cruiser

RACEIT wrote:

No disrespect, I love this type of thread, but wouldn't it be lighter to use 1.5" rims?
Assuming you will not ride it hard the narrower rims wouldn't present a lack of strength issue.
Really looking forward to seeing more of this build.
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, It's possible to make the wheels lighter. But I picked up this wheelset for $250. It would of cost me over $850 to make the wheelset I had in mind, which were pretty close to this. Keep in mind, from the start of this thread I said it will be a FULL SIZED cruiser. That means NO expert or mini parts on it.   I always like to hear advice though. Thank you. Hope ya follow the rest of it. smile

Titanium

#52 2011-02-19 2:28pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

joe6187 wrote:

Marked big_smile Very nice Thread, Thanks for share!
just wonder what is the pedals?
Joe

Thanks Joe. I'll be using a magnesium platform with ti spindles. 142 grams per pedal. Lightest I could find for a reasonable price.

Titanium

#53 2011-02-19 2:32pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

squirrelsmith wrote:

ouch your not gonna be happy with what i'm about to say, you would have saved some good weight by radial lacing the front wheel

are you trying to ignoer this fact sir

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#54 2011-02-19 2:37pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

squirrelsmith wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

ouch your not gonna be happy with what i'm about to say, you would have saved some good weight by radial lacing the front wheel

Oh, no not at all. I would of done the wheels a tad different if I built them. But as I said up there ^^^^ I paid very little for them so it's an as is deal. Could I still have them laced as you suggested? And what kind of weight are we talking about??

Titanium

#55 2011-02-19 2:45pm

ssdjoey
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

fair enough i was just wondering,maybe take off what you can and weight it without the" good looking" parts and see the difference

#56 2011-02-19 2:48pm

macr0w
Pro Member
Website

I think it's cool as shit. cool

Why in the hell does anyone build any bike?

Why in the hell can't someone build whatever kind of bike they want without drawing negative comments?

Maybe he's tired of building the same bike that everyone else is building?

I for one think it cool.

It's just another type of bike to build.

I can't weight to see it. lol

"My goal in life is to go into an office and take a brick in an office and put it next to a napkin in an office."

#57 2011-02-19 2:52pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

I do have a question though. The wheels came with a generic rubber rim strip. Weighs about 30 grams. There must be something the roadies use that's lighter. Any idea's???

Titanium

#58 2011-02-19 2:55pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

macr0w wrote:

I think it's cool as shit. cool

Why in the hell does anyone build any bike?

Why in the hell can't someone build whatever kind of bike they want without drawing negative comments?

Maybe he's tired of building the same bike that everyone else is building?

I for one think it cool.

It's just another type of bike to build.

I can't weight to see it. lol

THANK YOU Macr0w!!!!  It will be a one of a kind. Some will like it. Some won't. But I'll love it.  And really, it's more of a personal thing with me to. To build such a crazy bike and have one of my good friends name on the downtube will mean a lot to me. I've seen his business when it 1st started back in the 70's to what it has grown into now. Kind of cool to have your own brand.

Titanium

#59 2011-02-19 3:08pm

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15

Legendofjd3 wrote:

I do have a question though. The wheels came with a generic rubber rim strip. Weighs about 30 grams. There must be something the roadies use that's lighter. Any idea's???

Here ya go, weight weenie. wink
http://www.veloplug.com/index.php?http: … intro.html

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#60 2011-02-19 3:25pm

JC82
Pro Member
Bikes: 20

How about a strip of electrical tape, thats proly lighter than rubber strip.

Wanted: Brand X, green hawk frame, Cbl, Quicksilver, Jalapeno

#61 2011-02-19 3:48pm

macr0w
Pro Member
Website

Some guys try and find all red parts for a bike. hmm

"My goal in life is to go into an office and take a brick in an office and put it next to a napkin in an office."

#62 2011-02-19 4:52pm

BrianC
Banned

Eat a salad and thrash what's under you. Why so weight insane?

#63 2011-02-19 7:00pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

BrianC wrote:

Eat a salad and thrash what's under you. Why so weight insane?

My question to you is, why not?

Titanium

#64 2011-02-19 10:39pm

Renarac

Ideas for your rims:

10T cog with a 22 front sprocket will set gearing just a tich under 41/18 that's pretty common for cruiser. That will save a bit of weight in chain, sprocket and cog.

Here's an idea if you have relatively thick dropouts. I don't know if you're gong for paper thin and this isn't a option. But it's pretty slick. For the tensioner....you don't need it. But it can still be set up to stop the wheel from sliding in the dropout.....Use as ball bearing. get a small dimple drilled in the "U" of the dropout. Then, based on the distance between the axle and the "U" of the dropout, get the appropriate ball bearing.

Legendofjd3 wrote:

Got my wheels today for this build. Front wheel comes in at 49.9 ounces. Rear wheel is 58.2 ounces. BUT.... I will be switching the tires to Intense MK2's and using super light tubes. That should save several ounces on each wheel. I will re-weigh them when the tires and tubes get here.  These wheels are just insane in person. Some of the lightest wheels I've seen for a full sized cruiser.

FMF Powermoto rims 24 X 1.75

Profile Hubs WITH Titanium axle bolts front & rear.

Profile titanium driver

Titanium spokes

Alloy nips

Mowa valve caps.

Profile chain tensioners

http://i51.tinypic.com/2prwy1u.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/j7xqip.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/238r3b.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/15qx7iv.jpg

#65 2011-02-20 1:03am

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater
Bikes: 2

Legendofjd3 wrote:

And "all this money"???  Far from it. This bike will be practically free compared to some of the old school parts people buy for their bikes.  $2500 Hutch cranks, $400 stems, $200 bars, etc...  this bike doesn't even show up on the radar compared to what others spend on this hobby.

what? you can buy 3 or 4 top of the line frames for the price of this one, thats ll i was saying. as in "why spend all this money when you can just buy a frame?", no need to get all defensive dude. i understand its cool to jsut have what you want and not care about the price. i don;t know how sturdy a ti frame would be or how much lighter, they usually are for junior racers only.

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#66 2011-02-20 1:21am

ryanharley
Museum Addict
Bikes: 9

Is the frame already built/being built? Got any pictures of it's progress?

#67 2011-02-20 1:35am

MADDAWG
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 16

Wow nice stuff , so i'm guessing your a member of the WEIGHT WEENIES ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

.                       IL/WI Border area O.G.O.A.R.                            

Rule #9 :If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

#68 2011-02-20 7:26am

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

MADDAWG wrote:

Wow nice stuff , so i'm guessing your a member of the WEIGHT WEENIES ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

LOL. This is the 1st time ever I've paid any sort of attention to weight.  Last summer when I finished up my Floval I loved how it looked but it was pretty heavy. Damn 24" Skyways. Then a guy in his 30's came into the bike shop and ordered the new Redline 24" Flight. I was amazed at how light it was. Made me a little jealous. Right then and there I came up with my idea to build this bike.  It won't be a practical bike by any means. But I'll certainly put a lot of road miles on it.

Thanks for the link though. Maybe I can learn a trick or 2 from it. smile

Titanium

#69 2011-02-20 7:27am

JC82
Pro Member

So how long till your frame is done?

Wanted: Brand X, green hawk frame, Cbl, Quicksilver, Jalapeno

#70 2011-02-20 7:33am

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

Renarac wrote:

Ideas for your rims:

10T cog with a 22 front sprocket will set gearing just a tich under 41/18 that's pretty common for cruiser. That will save a bit of weight in chain, sprocket and cog.

Here's an idea if you have relatively thick dropouts. I don't know if you're gong for paper thin and this isn't a option. But it's pretty slick. For the tensioner....you don't need it. But it can still be set up to stop the wheel from sliding in the dropout.....Use as ball bearing. get a small dimple drilled in the "U" of the dropout. Then, based on the distance between the axle and the "U" of the dropout, get the appropriate ball bearing.

Legendofjd3 wrote:

Got my wheels today for this build. Front wheel comes in at 49.9 ounces. Rear wheel is 58.2 ounces. BUT.... I will be switching the tires to Intense MK2's and using super light tubes. That should save several ounces on each wheel. I will re-weigh them when the tires and tubes get here.  These wheels are just insane in person. Some of the lightest wheels I've seen for a full sized cruiser.

Profile titanium driver

Titanium spokes

Alloy nips

Mowa valve caps.

Profile chain tensioners

The cranks I'm using (FSA Carbon's) won't allow me to use that small of a chainring. I think it will be a 36 tooth in the front. And I just stuck the Profile tensioner on the scale. 19.4 grams each. I have no idea if I will use them or not. Most race bikes have them.  I just found out I can save 15 grams per tire by using Velox rim tape, so now the tensioners are "free" weight. lol

Titanium

#71 2011-02-20 7:36am

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

JC82 wrote:

So how long till your frame is done?

I just emailed him and it looks like the middle of March.  The wait is killing me. But it should be finished in time for my 1st spring ride.

Titanium

#72 2011-02-20 12:58pm

rydah
Expert
Bikes: 6

Legendofjd3 wrote:

Renarac wrote:

Ideas for your rims:

Legendofjd3 wrote:

Profile titanium driver

Titanium spokes

Alloy nips

Mowa valve caps.

Profile chain tensioners

The cranks I'm using (FSA Carbon's) won't allow me to use that small of a chainring. I think it will be a 36 tooth in the front. And I just stuck the Profile tensioner on the scale. 19.4 grams each. I have no idea if I will use them or not. Most race bikes have them.  I just found out I can save 15 grams per tire by using Velox rim tape, so now the tensioners are "free" weight. lol

you can use only 1 tensioner to help save a lil bit of weight also since your not racing you really dont have to use them anyways.

#73 2011-02-20 4:32pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

Legendofjd3 wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

Oh, no not at all. I would of done the wheels a tad different if I built them. But as I said up there ^^^^ I paid very little for them so it's an as is deal. Could I still have them laced as you suggested? And what kind of weight are we talking about??

oh i missed the part where you bought them complete. you would have to have the front spokes cut and threaded or replaced and it wouldnt be much. it's not worth it but if you were building them from from scratch trying to make them light it would be lighter

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#74 2011-02-23 3:32pm

diamondF1back
Centurion Member

nice build I started an all titanium build but it got very expensive, I got a couple forks bars and misc. titanium rnc parts, but I could never find a frame besides the missbehavin, so i turned it into just a lightweight build, I got it to 16lbs 15 ounces for a pro xl, I could have got it to around 16 even pretty easily, if you can find them id look for some titanium brand X forks I think my 20" ones are 22 ounces and the bomshells I had on my bike were 28, its very fun collecting parts and weighing them and calculating things, good luck with the build.

Wanted Brand X bars and threadless 1 1/8 Brand X stem.

#75 2011-02-23 3:57pm

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie

diamondF1back wrote:

nice build I started an all titanium build but it got very expensive, I got a couple forks bars and misc. titanium rnc parts, but I could never find a frame besides the missbehavin, so i turned it into just a lightweight build, I got it to 16lbs 15 ounces for a pro xl, I could have got it to around 16 even pretty easily, if you can find them id look for some titanium brand X forks I think my 20" ones are 22 ounces and the bomshells I had on my bike were 28, its very fun collecting parts and weighing them and calculating things, good luck with the build.

Thanks. I think I'll be way ahead on the frame alone. It will be way lighter then most of the aluminum full size cruisers out there now. I'm waiting for the new Dagger forks to come out in 24". Those should weigh around 24 ounces. I might go with the regular Answer Schythe forks and they weigh around 27. Good enough for me.  I'm trying to get all the ti bolts now. Get them out of the way 1st. They can add up pretty quick, and yeah, it is getting expensive. But I'll just keep picking away at it. I have a few months before the weather gets decent.

Titanium

Board footer

View Cart →