#51 2010-11-09 2:06pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4
Website

Re: ***** NEWBIES....DON'T RUIN IT *****

TrulyOdD wrote:

mad

i know i shouldn't...but i see it happen too many times.   

total newbie move.....  somebody finds a great bike or part and before they learn and understand things they put new decals on it or 'bling it out' and polish it and think it's cool.   

just because a part or frame is scratched, rusted out or faded it doesn't need to be polished or re-painted/chromed.  that ruins it.    for arguments sake...i know there are exceptions to this but for the most part it's always better to leave things in the ORIGINAL condition (decals and finish) no matter how messed up it looks.   

ask the collectors of the high end, rare, big dollar stuff....they'll tell you. 

there's all kinds of info on here about cleaning stuff up too.   ask, people around here will help. smile

Every time I read one of these posts, it makes mer want to DESTROY an old school bike, just for spite.

It really amazed me that that there is supposedly "one" way to show / ride / display a bike.

It's cool you know what you want from your stuff, but to expect others to hold your standard is flipping arrogant.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#52 2010-11-09 2:09pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em
Bikes: 8

further more! i wonder if guys that restore classic cars get this same steamy pile of words! other than rideing them half the fun is restoring them! edit here BE NICE

Last edited by oldschuulbmxer (2010-11-09 2:12pm)

In Colorado we ride!!!  all bmx stuff rules!

#53 2010-11-09 2:12pm

ROB213
Expert
Bikes: 3
Website

well im no noob to bmx, but i do what i feel like becuse at the end its my bike big_smile

just like this nos black anodized tuf neck stem I'm stripping it tomorrow lol and painting it white. in less one of you guys that supposedly preserve history can trade me for a used one lmk? big_smile but i need to know by tonight or its getting stripped lol
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/gtlover702/074.jpg http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/gtlover702/070.jpg

"I AM HERE TO CHEW BUBBLE GUM AND KICK ASS, AND IM ALL OUT OF BUBBLE GUM"

#54 2010-11-09 2:13pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 4

brindle wrote:

brewharriah wrote:

so guess my question is... what's the cutoff... how new does it have to be before changing it up is 'ok'

I ask as I'm considering doing what I want with a '98-'99 quad

Its your bike, do as you like/want smile

QFT !!!!

(quoted for truth)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#55 2010-11-09 2:15pm

vintage chromoly
BMXer 4 Life

ROB213 wrote:

well im no noob to bmx, but i do what i feel like becuse at the end its my bike big_smile

just like this nos black anodized tuf neck stem I'm stripping it tomorrow lol and painting it white. in less one of you guys that supposedly preserve history can trade me for a used one lmk? big_smile but i need to know by tonight or its getting stripped lol
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 … 02/074.jpg http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 … 02/070.jpg

you're going to fit right in here! wink

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#56 2010-11-09 2:18pm

ROB213
Expert
Bikes: 3
Website

vintage chromoly wrote:

ROB213 wrote:

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 … 02/074.jpg http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 … 02/070.jpg

you're going to fit right in here! wink

Thanks! big_smile

"I AM HERE TO CHEW BUBBLE GUM AND KICK ASS, AND IM ALL OUT OF BUBBLE GUM"

#57 2010-11-09 2:20pm

Jay_Huber
Bikes: 1
Website

I know exactly what you mean though, you really are trying to help. I've seen avid collectors offer replacement frames in better condition in order to protect a survivor. It's always better to get a few opinions first, hell, someone might offer you a nos frame with no decals for your survivor, I'd buy that for a dollar.

I'd rather be riding my Haro Master

#58 2010-11-09 2:22pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em

ROB213 wrote:

no dont do it! it will drive the value up for others who have one thats og! god forbid that!

#59 2010-11-09 2:24pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

Dyno-Mike wrote:

where's oldskoolPK when you need him...he loves restoring bikes and over polishing stuff, its tough to watch but he loves what he loves tongue

HUH???   You ok over there Mike.....wink

I think the lack Yuengling is messing with your head!!!!  tongue

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#60 2010-11-09 2:25pm

Jay_Huber
Bikes: 1
Website

Darn, i wish I had a tuf neck i could trade you, but mine says pat pending 8(

I'd rather be riding my Haro Master

#61 2010-11-09 2:25pm

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

ROB213 wrote:

right after you paint it white....make sure you put the 'appropriate' reproduction sticker on it too......roll

Last edited by OLDSKOOLPK (2010-11-09 2:28pm)

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#62 2010-11-09 2:26pm

RusT808
Hawaiian Built

Stop the drama!  The McRib is back!

SHOOTS, BRAH!!

#63 2010-11-09 2:28pm

Dyno-Mike
Has a 16" Dinky
Bikes: 86

OLDSKOOLPK wrote:

Dyno-Mike wrote:

where's oldskoolPK when you need him...he loves restoring bikes and over polishing stuff, its tough to watch but he loves what he loves tongue

HUH???   You ok over there Mike.....wink

I think the lack Yuengling is messing with your head!!!!  tongue

just bustin' your shnuts buddy big_smile

P.S. im down to my last yuengling yikes  ROADTRIP! lol

#64 2010-11-09 2:29pm

gashuffy63
"Old Man"

Just out of curiosity what are the ages of the leave it OG faction and the guys who want to change things up? I've been messing around with old cars since the late 70's and early on I got a charge from the old fellas that looked at the custom and hot rod crowd as a bunch of sacrilegious heathens that had as much common sense as carpet tack.
      These discussions are in no way new as I can remember these guys beating each other up in the Car mags that I got over the years. Hate to admit it but maybe its sort of an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" kind of thing and the older you get the more any kind of change bugs you.

Pop a wheelie, cop a feelie.

#65 2010-11-09 2:32pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em

RusT808 wrote:

Stop the drama!  The McRib is back!

ok going to micky d! sorry!

#66 2010-11-09 2:38pm

getset
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

What's the deal with polishing?  I have two bikes I owned since I was 11-12 years old.  I used these bikes to race, I did not take them out in the rain, I stored them in the house, I did not ride them to school, etc.  I used to polish/clean them at least once a week.  What are you talking about don't polish them?  Can you explain this to me?  I get the idea, don't strip the original paint or stickers, but don't polish?  I noticed some rust forming on my New Belgium cruisers last week, I got out some never dull and wiped it off, did I f-up?

Also, I have a "survivor" pk with original paint and stickers.  The wheels are z-rims, very faded with dead grey spokes.  I was thinking of blasting them and putting new spokes in.  I think it would look a lot better.  Would I be killing it?
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/getset31/OldSchoolRides009.jpg

#67 2010-11-09 2:45pm

brutus
Expert
Bikes: 2

vintage chromoly wrote:

there are only so many examples of the bikes we collect. every day more are lost to overzealous "collectors" who think that you need to polish all the detail off your parts and lay a nice thick coat of powder on anything that will take it.

very sad part of the hobby in my opinion! sad

if you pay attention to whats going on with collectible items across the board whether it's guns, militaria, stamps, coins, ball cards, art, furniture, automobiles, motorcycles, toys etc..... original finish items always, always, always trump refinished items! this is not my opinion but a cold hard fact! bmx collecting is in its infancy and with the number of new collectors growing daily we are losing mass quantities of original items at an alarming rate. couple that with all the phony reproduction junk that is flooding the market and this hobby will be ruined in the next five years.

we need to start looking at ownership of these items as a stewardship that comes with a responsibility to keep the items preserved for future reference.

i know it's your bike and if you want to dick it up by blinging it out that is your right but please consider what patrick is trying to say.

don't take the purists standpoint as personal insult to your right to do as you please but consider it as an option as the supply of the bikes we desire and remember fondly from childhood is rapidly disappearing.

anyone here watch pawnstars or antique roadshow? when items are brought in that have been "restored" the response from the experts is always the same. nobody wants high end items that have been molested!

Thats so not true (most of the time) you could certainly point out a few items that are better left unrestored, but the overwhelming majority of items are worth more restored.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RESTORATION, NOT CLEANING.

Restoring an old rusted, not running car or bike. Not cleaning an old gun or antique.

To prove my point just check ebay. Look at an unrestored car VS a restored car.

How come we never see beat up items at the high end auctions? Cars,bikes,furniture etc?

#68 2010-11-09 2:46pm

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Bikes: 23

getset wrote:

What's the deal with polishing?  I have two bikes I owned since I was 11-12 years old.  I used these bikes to race, I did not take them out in the rain, I stored them in the house, I did not ride them to school, etc.  I used to polish/clean them at least once a week.  What are you talking about don't polish them?  Can you explain this to me?  I get the idea, don't strip the original paint or stickers, but don't polish?  I noticed some rust forming on my New Belgium cruisers last week, I got out some never dull and wiped it off, did I f-up?

Also, I have a "survivor" pk with original paint and stickers.  The wheels are z-rims, very faded with dead grey spokes.  I was thinking of blasting them and putting new spokes in.  I think it would look a lot better.  Would I be killing it?
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab29 … des009.jpg

Naw...You'll kill it once you crack the seatpost mast, and when that does happen, make sure you don't weld it. tongue

This ain't mods vs. rockers -- at least as far as I know -- so I just hope everybody makes their own decisions based on what they want out of BMX.  Enjoy that ride, win that race, make that money, dominate that conversation...JUST DO YO THANG!!!

Doowutchyalike!
Digital Underground

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#69 2010-11-09 2:49pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro

markmc97225 wrote:

I think the actual warning here is being missed. If you're NEW to the hobby, don't jump to paint and powder and new decals first thing. Too many guys have offered up their regrets on doing that. It takes time in the hobby to get to the point of understanding how rare true OG/Survivor bikes are, and many guys have regrets about that first step.

Once you're in for a while, you'll find a matching bike that truly deserves paint/powder/decals, so, dig into it then.

The point is not to bring up the "it's my bike, I'll do what I want" argument, it's sage advice to please wait until you're experienced enough to know it's the right thing to do with YOUR bike.

some need to read again as they missed the concept.  I was a newb once and was on the restore train too-but NEVER did.  This sin't about the era correct parts.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stupidity....

Trump the dope just lost Georgia’s two seats....I predicted his win in 2016, his loss in 2020, and Georgia’s two seats going to Democrats.

#70 2010-11-09 2:49pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em

can you belive the nerve of some people!http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/1973wallace/GOLDHUTCH.jpg

#71 2010-11-09 2:51pm

JS-44SDS

brutus143 wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

there are only so many examples of the bikes we collect. every day more are lost to overzealous "collectors" who think that you need to polish all the detail off your parts and lay a nice thick coat of powder on anything that will take it.

very sad part of the hobby in my opinion! sad

if you pay attention to whats going on with collectible items across the board whether it's guns, militaria, stamps, coins, ball cards, art, furniture, automobiles, motorcycles, toys etc..... original finish items always, always, always trump refinished items! this is not my opinion but a cold hard fact! bmx collecting is in its infancy and with the number of new collectors growing daily we are losing mass quantities of original items at an alarming rate. couple that with all the phony reproduction junk that is flooding the market and this hobby will be ruined in the next five years.

we need to start looking at ownership of these items as a stewardship that comes with a responsibility to keep the items preserved for future reference.

i know it's your bike and if you want to dick it up by blinging it out that is your right but please consider what patrick is trying to say.

don't take the purists standpoint as personal insult to your right to do as you please but consider it as an option as the supply of the bikes we desire and remember fondly from childhood is rapidly disappearing.

anyone here watch pawnstars or antique roadshow? when items are brought in that have been "restored" the response from the experts is always the same. nobody wants high end items that have been molested!

Thats so not true (most of the time) you could certainly point out a few items that are better left unrestored, but the overwhelming majority of items are worth more restored.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RESTORATION, NOT CLEANING.

Restoring an old rusted, not running car or bike. Not cleaning an old gun or antique.

To prove my point just check ebay. Look at an unrestored car VS a restored car.

How come we never see beat up items at the high end auctions? Cars,bikes,furniture etc?

Don't compare bikes to cars-apples and oranges.  There are so many factors that make that comparison a moot point.  mnat that get redone do not fall into the rusted up category.

Last edited by JS-44SDS (2010-11-09 2:52pm)

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Trump the dope just lost Georgia’s two seats....I predicted his win in 2016, his loss in 2020, and Georgia’s two seats going to Democrats.

#72 2010-11-09 2:51pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
For Sale: 4
Website

vintage chromoly wrote:

Oh, I guess that's how Rick Dale got his own show with his extremely successful restoration business, American Restorations......

big_smile

FatGuy

#73 2010-11-09 2:54pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em

i watch it and they take items to be restored all the time! and they do it so it will fetch more cash!

Last edited by oldschuulbmxer (2010-11-09 2:56pm)

#74 2010-11-09 2:54pm

JS-44SDS

FatGuy wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

Oh, I guess that's how Rick Dale got his own show with his extremely successful restoration business, American Restorations......

big_smile

True but those things that get restored are left as waste and junk...some f/f sets that we are talking about are far from that.  They just aren't perfect.  I should know-I almost did it and went that route.  However, I stopped it and kept the bikes they way they were when I was 12.

Last edited by JS-44SDS (2010-11-09 2:55pm)

#75 2010-11-09 2:55pm

RusT808
Hawaiian Built

SHOOTS, BRAH!!

Board footer