You are not logged in.

***** NEWBIES....DON'T RUIN IT *****

#26 2010-11-09 12:19pm

BRIMX
Museum Addict

Re: ***** NEWBIES....DON'T RUIN IT *****

brindle wrote:

This thread is a waste. It is "his new bike" and he can do what ever the hell he wants to HIS bike, just because you and him have different opinions on what should be done to a old/mid school bike wink

+100000000000000000000000000

#27 2010-11-09 12:19pm

MACAW
Pro MemberI am NOT a DUDE or a BRO :)
Bikes: 1

I wish I would have called my self "Iwannabedifferent" instead of "MACAW" cause I LOVE to blend the old, mid, and new together, and I am ok with that smile

and I build my bikes for me. And I am not a newbie, been doing this since 81.

So there! tongue

#28 2010-11-09 12:26pm

oldsklHaro
Pro MemberHARO Hound
Bikes: 33
For Sale: 2

Marking for a good read later.........I'll come back once it gets to 4+ pages! lol

#29 2010-11-09 12:29pm

markmc97225
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 4

I think the actual warning here is being missed. If you're NEW to the hobby, don't jump to paint and powder and new decals first thing. Too many guys have offered up their regrets on doing that. It takes time in the hobby to get to the point of understanding how rare true OG/Survivor bikes are, and many guys have regrets about that first step.

Once you're in for a while, you'll find a matching bike that truly deserves paint/powder/decals, so, dig into it then.

The point is not to bring up the "it's my bike, I'll do what I want" argument, it's sage advice to please wait until you're experienced enough to know it's the right thing to do with YOUR bike.

Whenever someone says, "I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart," all I hear is, "I'm not real smart, but I'm imaginary smart."

#30 2010-11-09 12:31pm

nintendoninja
Pro Member"GT JUGGALO"
Bikes: 9

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:39445HVNw4JQ9M:http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww82/kaydris/Trollin.jpg&t=1

ALWAYS strip original paint and ALWAYS bling out bike parts.
there is no exception. leaving something original is so square man. lol

- WTB 2004 Redline Retro Squareback -
- WTB Knight Retro Goose Trails Frame -

#31 2010-11-09 12:35pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
Bikes: 22

so guess my question is... what's the cutoff... how new does it have to be before changing it up is 'ok'

I ask as I'm considering doing what I want with a '98-'99 quad

"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

#32 2010-11-09 12:37pm

brindle
BMX Psycho
Bikes: 2

brewharriah wrote:

so guess my question is... what's the cutoff... how new does it have to be before changing it up is 'ok'

I ask as I'm considering doing what I want with a '98-'99 quad

Its your bike, do as you like/want smile

I ship Worldwide!!

#33 2010-11-09 12:40pm

karbri98
Centurion Member

Didn't we all mix & match parts back in the day? I like to mix old with new,that's why i buy them. I agree maybe some bikes should stay OG but alot of the fun of gettin a bike is to track down parts. So i mix them up for you sell them & you have fun putting them back to original. Everybody wins!!!

" I like turtles "

Looking for a 93' Diamondback Turbo

#34 2010-11-09 12:49pm

wfc09
Museum Addict

roll This thread is a big FAIL. Paint it, polish it, re-sticker it, and cut it up if you want. It's a metal not a cherished holy object

#35 2010-11-09 12:50pm

shock6
Pro Performer
Bikes: 7

Well I guess I break that stereotype. I consider myself a newbie. I cringe when I see these beautiful survivors get parted here on a daily basis. I wish I could rescue all of them. A OG bike has soul, once you re-paint or powder, it loses something. I am in the process of getting my first bike powder coated, but I love survivors.

"East side!"

#36 2010-11-09 12:53pm

hurlz
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 2

It's all about having fun.  I prefer the Preservation route myself.  I like the old finishes with all the flaws intact.
lol

#37 2010-11-09 12:56pm

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 440
For Sale: 48
Website

Yaaa whoo?
Great ideas in here..
I agree, it is only original once. Many old classics have been ruined by new paint etc..
How about a phrase like this, if you get an old bike, do a little research on how rare it is before you break out the rattlecans, thats all I am trying to say..It may be possible to sell as is, and get a couple other bikes to "customize"..IMHO

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#38 2010-11-09 12:56pm

Dyno-Mike
Has a 16" Dinky
Bikes: 86

shock6 wrote:

Well I guess I break that stereotype. I consider myself a newbie. I cringe when I see these beautiful survivors get parted here on a daily basis. I wish I could rescue all of them. A OG bike has soul, once you re-paint or powder, it loses something. I am in the process of getting my first bike powder coated, but I love survivors.

you bring up an excellent point, parting out a complete survivor is very hard to watch...as a newbie i had done it, but the longer ive stuck around the more ive got a woody for survivors...esp. hard to find colors cool

#39 2010-11-09 1:02pm

brewharriah
live in sin for the win!!!
Bikes: 22

fair enough... just know it wont be 'blinged out'wink

"I don't care about your feelings. Pain and torment's what you'll get!!!"

#40 2010-11-09 1:04pm

RusT808
Hawaiian Built

I think the posts saying to research and educate yourself about restoring vs. keeping it survivor is what should be done. Like many had said about regret for restoring their old bike, they are just passing on their experience as to give the new guy some food for thought.

I like both survivors and restored bikes.

SHOOTS, BRAH!!

#41 2010-11-09 1:06pm

deano2670
You Know What

I see both sides and have some bikes that fit into the OG/survivor category but I also have some blinged out stuff that makes me go BOING! lol I never really liked most factory stock bikes bitd. In my opinion there was always something on it that needed to be upgraded to make the bike my own.

There are plenty of people that like to recreate the factory stock and acurate show room bikes and the hobby needs those types.

There are also the keep it OG following which is also good and necessary.

I have no idea why these sides are always at odds but is a bit ridiculous. There is plenty of room for BOTH types in BMX. And yes they are both needed.

Can't we all just get along????? big_smile tongue

Old bikes need love too, get them off the carpet and ride!
Need red Oakley 3's in great condition and red Suntour 44t chainring to finish recreating my first BMX bike.

#42 2010-11-09 1:09pm

youwhoboohoo
Bikes: 4

i think the best things in life aren't things, in the big scheme of life, who really cares.
i'm gonna do what makes me happy in the moment, i may regret it later or i may not.
i have 1980 quadangle with og paint and no stickers, and its cool, but it could be so rad looking done up nice and new with really clean parts and all stickered up again, but it looks cool too with rider quality parts as i have to right now..
a part of me wants to leave it like it is, and another part of me wants to fix it up.
if i leave it as is, i'm done...
and i've never been content with that even BITD...
i think i just talked myself into fixing it up!

"my paypal is about to explode, and not in a good way!"

#43 2010-11-09 1:12pm

gashuffy63
"Old Man"

I don't care what other people do with their stuff. If hitting whatever bike they have with rattlecan, or taking a saws-all to the drop outs and it blows their skirt up when its finished, more power to them.
    That said, it is a shame to see a nice original bike that managed to somehow until now stay out of the hands of someone with a dream and bad taste get their fingers on it. How many original Willys coupes are still out there, most of them have been turned into gassers, or pre-war Fords that haven't been chopped up? All a guy can really do is keep his mouth shut and walk away.

Pop a wheelie, cop a feelie.

#44 2010-11-09 1:14pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 9

I can understand the advice given, the "learn from my mistakes" approach.  But, if someone wants to paint, polish, customize, etc. to the their bike, I have no issues with that because it is their bike.  Hopefully they did the research and undertand what they are doing to the bike.   I also believe that just because I would have done it a different way, doesn't make what they did automatically wrong.  It just means that I would have done it a different way and I leave it at that. 

I like all different kind of builds, ranging from complete survivors to full customs.  For me, that's what makes this hobby interesting.

Last edited by cmb (2010-11-09 1:43pm)

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#45 2010-11-09 1:24pm

wildon
Pro Member
Bikes: 31

Well I have to agree. I ruined a few frames back when I didn't know any better. Nice survivor haros and trickstars that I stripped and repowdered. I wish someone had said this to me back then. I still have them and they have mint new finishes and decals... I'd rather have them as I got them hmm

#46 2010-11-09 1:25pm

RusT808
Hawaiian Built

Don't judge

SHOOTS, BRAH!!

#47 2010-11-09 1:32pm

brutus
Expert
Bikes: 2

A good quality restoration does not de-value a bike IMO, just like another item, a car. You dont see many rusted cars go through Barrett Jackson for huge dollars, just the proper restored ones.

How do you know someone is a newbie? I never understood that. Is it post count? all those posts that people put cool, nice, I like it..... etc makes someone knowledgeable?

A good quality restoration will only increase value IMO.

#48 2010-11-09 1:55pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
For Sale: 4
Website

I completely disagree.  I'm not in any hobby to sit on OG stuff until it gets old enough to be worth a ton because it's OG.  I buy bikes because I enjoy building them, riding them, and sometimes flipping for a profit if I'm able.  If my build involves stripping, powdering, etc...and someone else doesn't like it, I guess they should've found it first because I'm sure someone else will buy it the way I made it when I'm ready to sell to buy something different. 

I've done the same with some very collectible low mileage cars. 

I've yet to find anything whether it be a bike or a car that I thought was perfect when original, it's all about making it your own.  Keep your stuff OG and inside, I'll buy it when the market's low, make it my own, and ride or drive the hell out of it until I get ready for something else.

Bad taste and poor builds are a whole different issue.

I do, however, somewhat understand your opinion and respect it..I just think you're wrong big_smile

Last edited by FatGuy (2010-11-09 1:56pm)

FatGuy

#49 2010-11-09 1:57pm

oldschuulbmxer
I ride em
Bikes: 8

lou is killing history! plz stop! now im gonna go back to polishing that mcs front loading stem that [had] decals!

In Colorado we ride!!!  all bmx stuff rules!

#50 2010-11-09 2:05pm

vintage chromoly
BMXer 4 Life

there are only so many examples of the bikes we collect. every day more are lost to overzealous "collectors" who think that you need to polish all the detail off your parts and lay a nice thick coat of powder on anything that will take it.

very sad part of the hobby in my opinion! sad

if you pay attention to whats going on with collectible items across the board whether it's guns, militaria, stamps, coins, ball cards, art, furniture, automobiles, motorcycles, toys etc..... original finish items always, always, always trump refinished items! this is not my opinion but a cold hard fact! bmx collecting is in its infancy and with the number of new collectors growing daily we are losing mass quantities of original items at an alarming rate. couple that with all the phony reproduction junk that is flooding the market and this hobby will be ruined in the next five years.

we need to start looking at ownership of these items as a stewardship that comes with a responsibility to keep the items preserved for future reference.

i know it's your bike and if you want to dick it up by blinging it out that is your right but please consider what patrick is trying to say.

don't take the purists standpoint as personal insult to your right to do as you please but consider it as an option as the supply of the bikes we desire and remember fondly from childhood is rapidly disappearing.

anyone here watch pawnstars or antique roadshow? when items are brought in that have been "restored" the response from the experts is always the same. nobody wants high end items that have been molested!

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

Board footer