TrulyOdd
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-09-19
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 4
Website

***** NEWBIES....DON'T RUIN IT *****

mad

i know i shouldn't...but i see it happen too many times.   

total newbie move.....  somebody finds a great bike or part and before they learn and understand things they put new decals on it or 'bling it out' and polish it and think it's cool.   

just because a part or frame is scratched, rusted out or faded it doesn't need to be polished or re-painted/chromed.  that ruins it.    for arguments sake...i know there are exceptions to this but for the most part it's always better to leave things in the ORIGINAL condition (decals and finish) no matter how messed up it looks.   

ask the collectors of the high end, rare, big dollar stuff....they'll tell you. 

there's all kinds of info on here about cleaning stuff up too.   ask, people around here will help. smile

Always looking for anything from... 
Star Products, White Bear, Hustler, Panda, Rebel Racing, Blazer or BXC.

I sell/buy/trade VINYL RECORDS & CASSETTES.   
Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, Soul, Reggae, Funk, etc. (LP's, 45’s, & 12") -  Let me know

#2 2010-11-09 11:49am

maximum85
!!!The Sales Man!!! "1000 CLUB"
Signed up: 2008-02-04
Bikes: 2

Re: ***** NEWBIES....DON'T RUIN IT *****

100% pat..but i think you know where this will be headed lol

#3 2010-11-09 11:50am

brackett
AdminTuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Signed up: 2009-10-27
Bikes: 18
Website

Get ready for 6 pages of fighting. sad

I never log off and I had to disable my screen saver because it was causing problems , making me have to restart my computer every time it kicked on. Please keep that in mind if you message me and I don't reply back right away. Thanks.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

#4 2010-11-09 11:50am

army2
'Drill Sergeant'
Signed up: 2008-12-14
Bikes: 12

Oh boy

Did you know we had a charities and donations area?  I didn't!!  Please check it out and help some people out!

#5 2010-11-09 11:55am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Signed up: 2009-03-09
For Sale: 1

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/Skipreis/GI-TimeBomb.gif

Last edited by itsdug (2010-11-09 11:55am)

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! Just ask Brian Hays.

#6 2010-11-09 11:55am

Dyno-Mike
Has a 16" Dinky
Signed up: 2007-06-19
Bikes: 86

where's oldskoolPK when you need him...he loves restoring bikes and over polishing stuff, its tough to watch but he loves what he loves tongue

#7 2010-11-09 11:56am

TrulyOdd
Pro Member
Website

just hoping to help a member, one newbie at a time! big_smile

Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, Soul, Reggae, Funk, etc. (LP's, 45’s, & 12") -  Let me know

#8 2010-11-09 11:56am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Signed up: 2007-04-30
Bikes: 7

Ill never understand why grown men cant have a rational conversation with differing opinions.... this is an opinion. These threads that get out of hand over some nonsense, are gonna start gettin shut down with extreme prejudice. Lets keep this one civil...

I love dead people....

#9 2010-11-09 11:57am

Rapscallion
Expert
Signed up: 2007-01-04

I guess it all depends on why you're collecting...

my favorite part of collecting BMX stuff is working out the color schemes and figuring out exactly how to capture the style/feeling that I want from whichever bike I'm putting together...I've stripped more than a couple frames that might make people wince to learn about - but I've been totally stoked with the bikes when they are done, and riding a bike that I love with a personal customized finish and parts selection really makes it all that much more fun for me...

but, sure, for people collecting these things as if they are stock commodities, I can see why keeping things all original, regardless of condition, could be important...

personally, I decided recently that I'm gonna' stop obsessing over the 'value' of my toys and just start playing with them big_smile

#10 2010-11-09 11:57am

Dyno-Mike
Has a 16" Dinky
Signed up: 2007-06-19
Bikes: 86

TrulyOdD wrote:

just hoping to help a member, one newbie at a time! big_smile

hell ya, i will say things when newbies post up they want to restore a nice survivor they are usually talked down pretty quickly like a dude standing on the ledge of a building! smile

#11 2010-11-09 11:58am

Giginfrogg
Froggy
Signed up: 2008-11-27
Bikes: 3

Its a case by case basis. Some stuff left alone will rot.. Nothin wrong with cleaning someting up! wink

If I owe you feedback PM me. My inbox is like a WAR zone.
Wanted: 24 or 26" Quadangle F/F 1" threaded version non canti. What ever maker it may be....

#12 2010-11-09 12:01pm

Haro-83
Pro MemberTEXAS HILLBILLY
Signed up: 2009-10-05
Bikes: 70

its their bike they can do what they want. look at the bright side the original getting rarer and expensive tongue

that my signtaure (don't mess with original once it lost it will be forever lost)

Build it, Ride it & Break it. That what "it" was made for.

#13 2010-11-09 12:01pm

kurt88
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-11-13
Bikes: 11

ITS MY BIKE. ILL DO WHAT THE HELL I WANT  mad                             lol  lol  lol

#14 2010-11-09 12:02pm

pjcruiser
Pro Member
Signed up: 2005-07-31
Website

very well put.  To expand on what Trulyod said "i know there are exceptions to this but for the most part it's always better to leave things in the ORIGINAL condition"

the exceptions should be obvious like this frame I have, that has no original finish on it:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/pjcruiser/100_9513.jpg

stuff like this find should be kept original for its historic value:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/pjcruiser/100_1261.jpg

now, i will say, because someone else eventually will, yes the bike or frame belongs to you, but i think what most are trying to say is that if you don't plan on keeping it for ever, someone else, another collector, will end up with it and it should have been kept in its original condition. 

Just my thoughts on what i have heard and what i see.

"HOME OF THE FREE... BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!"

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'what a ride!'"

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

#15 2010-11-09 12:02pm

Z.
OZ Shipping Dude
Signed up: 2009-05-18
Bikes: 13

i hear what your saying, but this is strictly case by case basis. 
I mean, I found a frame that was totally rusted and had pits. 

It had to be repaired and fixed..  Hell, i even got some really bad ones and they were beyond "survivor" look.. 

again, giggin got this right.  its a  case by case basis.

#16 2010-11-09 12:02pm

No100Sy
Pro MemberTRAXXAS IS #1
Signed up: 2008-10-13
For Sale: 8

Very true about alot of us being newbies at one time. Maybe the site and its members could come up witha 'Sticky' for newbies to read with basics, such as stripping, restoring, and refinishing. Or as T-O stated, leaving item as is to hold their true age/nostalgia. I undertand there are some threads to help, however not all of us go through them before tackling a new project.

When buying from me, I submit feedback once I receive feedback from you. That way, I know you are happy with your purchase.

No100Sy = Number ~100~ Sy (clone)

#17 2010-11-09 12:05pm

brindle
BMX Psycho
Signed up: 2007-02-21

This thread is a waste. It is "his new bike" and he can do what ever the hell he wants to HIS bike, just because you and him have different opinions on what should be done to a old/mid school bike wink

I ship Worldwide!!

#18 2010-11-09 12:07pm

brindle
BMX Psycho
Signed up: 2007-02-21

kurt88 wrote:

ITS MY BIKE. ILL DO WHAT THE HELL I WANT

+1 To that!

I ship Worldwide!!

#19 2010-11-09 12:07pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2008-12-30
Bikes: 1
Website

I failed at this at one point in my life..  restored a perfectly good Sport, when I first came into the hobby.  I was saved from restoring a Blk/Coral Haro Master, traded for an already stripped one, restored it...   after I grew up a bit, I ended up getting the Blk/Coral one back, and built it back up as a survivor.

Lesson learned here...  Now, I've shifted to all OG bikes, they seem to mean more to me now.

#20 2010-11-09 12:08pm

MXRIDER250
For Sale Restricted
Signed up: 2006-09-28
Bikes: 11

I hate it when designated old heads of the hobby tell guys what to do with bikes the guys have purchased. Were is the code of conduct for building bikes at, surely we should point the hapless "Newbies" in the direction of the thread of do's and dont's with your own bike, hold on thats right, there is no rules and they own there bike because they bought it, found it , chased it down. There is enough to go around, and the best lessons are made by failing the last lesson. Unless anyone wants to go and create a thread with rules for Newbies jotted down A to Z, then you have to live with the fact your knowledge is infinity better, but you dont own the part, have no claims on it, and the Newbie may just, and its a big MAY, just have fun building his bike !!!!!

My opinion, not necessarily right, but mine smile

[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/DB250F.jpg[/img]

#21 2010-11-09 12:11pm

chromey
Pro MemberObi-Wan Chromey
Signed up: 2007-07-19
Bikes: 17

five wrote:

I failed at this at one point in my life..  restored a perfectly good Sport, when I first came into the hobby.  I was saved from restoring a Blk/Coral Haro Master, traded for an already stripped one, restored it...   after I grew up a bit, I ended up getting the Blk/Coral one back, and built it back up as a survivor.

Lesson learned here...  Now, I've shifted to all OG bikes, they seem to mean more to me now.

smile

— — — — —
"every move is like a lightning..."

#22 2010-11-09 12:12pm

TrulyOdd
Pro Member
Website

giginfrogg wrote:

Its a case by case basis. Some stuff left alone will rot.. Nothin wrong with cleaning someting up! wink

for sure, things should definitely be cleaned up.    i didn't mean to leave the rust and let it rot, i'm referring to removing the original finish...or blinging out a part.

#23 2010-11-09 12:15pm

wagonguy
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-06-29
For Sale: 10

What he is saying, is that most of us "Old Heads" as you call us, made the same mistakes when we were newbies and have regrets. I restored (and ruined) a very rare frame when I was new to the hobby. Every time I look at my bikes, I wish I had that bike back, and in the condition I got it in.

Doug

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Would love to acquire a Sunn B-Mix 26.

#24 2010-11-09 12:15pm

tacoman
Pro MemberSkinwalkers
Signed up: 2010-06-04
Bikes: 8

F that....
Let'em repowder.
It just makes the OG sh*t more valuable.  cool

If it dont make dollars, it dont make sense.

There is no stopping...what can't be stopped.

#25 2010-11-09 12:18pm

mongoosefs1
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2010-05-25

^^^ +1 well said...

(.y.)
Early Og Om Flyer In Blue!!!

Board footer