You are not logged in.

So, How Did You Get Into BMX?  RSS Feed

#26 2010-12-06 7:50pm

Vcarter
Bikes: 2

Re: So, How Did You Get Into BMX?

boersma31p wrote:

It's a rare thing to get your old bike back. smile   Einjoy it. I think you'll find, however, that tracks have changed somewhat since BITD.

Tracks and racing styles have changed but I'm looking forward to it.  I was never a real power guy bitd.  I'm looking at new school bikes.  I don't want to thrash the Robi.

#27 2011-05-26 5:07pm

jkraig
Pro MemberLive Love Sleep BMX
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 11

Keep the stories coming!!! big_smile

Wanted: OURY grip jersey patch

****  Friends don't let friends ride Moosegoose's ****

#28 2011-05-26 5:26pm

boersma31p
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16

One of the NBL tracks locally never opened this year, and now the parks dept says it's going to some mountain bike association. sad

#29 2011-05-26 6:02pm

vassar
Pro Member

When I was in the 5th grade we moved from L.A. to Pomona.  Back then I had a bike, but I got into skate boarding. There were a lot of abandon buildings and empty fields around my area in the early 80’s. Some spots were unsafe to skate or ride because of dealers or junkies. So, we would ride our bikes to other areas or cities, with our skate boards in our back packs. After a while we just stop bring the skate boards. Dodging crack heads and out riding dope dealers build our BMXing skills, LOL.
When I was in High School a friend took me to the Pipeline Skate Park and I was sprung. I had a ’77 Honda Civic and would load about 5 bikes on the roof rack. Ghetto kids doing it ghetto style. LOL.
The rest is history!

[img]http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/vassar_st/BMXSig.jpg[/img]

#30 2011-05-26 6:59pm

FU
Museum Addict

I got my first bmx in 1980. A pos department store bike.

Then, in the summer of 1982, I saw ET. That Xmas I got the ET kuwahara and 30+ years later, here I am.
Was much more into jumping and freestyle. Racing was tough for my family. Many kids, travel.
Built a halfpipe in 1987 and rode it until 1991.Stopped riding serious from 94-97 Still jumpin' at 38.

2 82 Kuwahara  ET(1kz) ,84 Kuwahara Lazer lite(st.),86 Haro Master, 87 GT Performer,88 Haro Sport,94 Haro Sport,95 Haro Shredder,97 Hoffman Condor,97 haro blammo, 98 Haro Blammo,99 Supra dlx, 01 Haro Mirra,04 Haro Mirra Pro,05  haro Sport, 05 Premium Team Mutt, 06 Nyquist Custom, 07 Haro Forum Pro,08 Premium Duo,09 Premium LowPez LT 09 low pez,10Premium 2017 Haro Sport 2017 Haro Zebra

#31 2011-05-26 7:49pm

mdmike
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

early 70's..myself and the other kids in my neighborhood saw evel knievel on tv and started building ramps in my back yard. we just had lame department store bikes and as the bricks got stacked up higher the frames started braking.  this went on for years then one day everything changed. my cousin keith got a blue mongoose with yellow tuff wheels. i had heard of mongoose but this was the first one i had ever ridden. the next week i bought a used schwinn scrambler 36-36. this was october of 1979. the next sunday my cousin and i and both of our dads went to ocean city,md and raced at montego bay bmx. i didnt qualify but i kept at it and before too long i was getting third places with regularity. the next year we raced more and more and i got a mongoose and then a redline micro-line. i kept racing until november 1982and at that time i was riding a gt pro series. i didnt have a bike for a few years and then i got a gt pro world tour and did some street riding for a few years...had a blast but racing was calling me again. in 1992 i got a robinson 24. i rode it hard and then in october of 1994 i showed up at the aba east coast nationals at columbia,md. my first race back in 12 years almost to the day. i only got to race on sunday with no practice so how good could i do? got a 6th place and was hooked again. over the next 4 years i raced as much as i could and went whereever i could afford and got some cool titles[aba district#1...gold cup#1...nbl regional#2...and lots more] and made alot of lasting friends. in dec of 1998 while at the iron man classic in new jersey i had a seizure during the race and was injured very badily. my racing life was over. i raced a few times in 2000 to 2002 but it was not the same. the bug never left and i always stayed in touch with bmx. last year[2010] i raced a few times at chesapeake bmx and had a blast. i have been back a few times this year and im still getting the same rush and it seems like i run into someone from the past everytime i go. bmx never leaves your blood....it might be forgotten for a time but it always comes back.

cyclecraft factory team member

#32 2011-05-26 8:42pm

old_school_rules
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

i had a stingray in 1975 then a murry in 1978 that got stolen 2 weeks later same year got a redline Squareback 1981 a gt and a national pro in 83

leave me feed back like i leave u feedback

#33 2011-05-26 9:15pm

bmxgrimreaper
Evel Kinevel

well back in 1947 no, or was it 48? no just kidding, i started out on a schwinn, a track some miles away,my friends dad loaded a bunch of us in the back of truck,back then you did not go to jail for that, lol, anyway around 76, i remember riding my bike back home from my friends house and my peddles hitting the road because my forks where bent so bad, its ok until you have to turn.same year i got my amf evel bike, i still have pics i need to get on here. back then fork were hard to come by,they cost alot,not schwinn, i broke 3 schwinn frames that year, they were easy to get, every one had them,here, there, and yes even in the garb,well that's how it started the short version

#34 2011-05-26 10:02pm

kcsslows
Expert

The ABA and my unckle john:cool:After that street was born:D:cool:From then it was all over with.

Street Style is what its all about .

#35 2011-05-26 10:10pm

midschool22
Flatbiller
Bikes: 4

This is what got me started into riding.  It just oozes cool. 

#36 2011-05-26 10:31pm

brandonbig
Museum Addict

What happened with the website listed at the beginning, ttbmx.com? I went there and nothing existed. Was it abandoned?

#37 2011-05-27 10:32am

jkraig

brandonbig wrote:

What happened with the website listed at the beginning, ttbmx.com? I went there and nothing existed. Was it abandoned?

I shut it down about a month ago due to a lack of interest. sad

#38 2011-05-27 10:36am

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
For Sale: 14

i was born in 1965. this means i grew up in the 70s. every kid who grew up in the 70s was into BMX.

i think its so freaking funny when some yazoo complains that todays kids are fat. none of
us were fat as kids because of bmx. my kids are not fat and it has a lot to do with me getting
them on bikes at a young age. bmx should be required if you are a kid smile

Last edited by Draw (2011-05-27 10:36am)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#39 2011-05-27 10:44am

wolverineskoaldude1
Intl. Man of Mystery

In the late seventies the area I lived in was still being developed so we had a bmx track right in the middle of the nieborhood and motocross trails in the out lying areas. And of course every kid in the neiborhood was into bmx and motocross. We grew up on those trails, had my first cigarette there first beer, what a great time. I would catch a ride with some of my friends and dads and go racing at a sanctioned track. I asked my dad why he never offered to take me racing and he told me he thought bmx was stupid....I still love him.

"All I need is a cool breeze and some tasty waves."

#40 2011-05-27 10:46am

wolverineskoaldude1
Intl. Man of Mystery

Draw wrote:

i was born in 1965. this means i grew up in the 70s. every kid who grew up in the 70s was into BMX.

i think its so freaking funny when some yazoo complains that todays kids are fat. none of
us were fat as kids because of bmx. my kids are not fat and it has a lot to do with me getting
them on bikes at a young age. bmx should be required if you are a kid smile

AMEN to that! On summer break I would wake up jump on my bike and be gone till supper. Everyday.cool

"All I need is a cool breeze and some tasty waves."

#41 2011-05-27 12:33pm

Dirty J
Museum Newbie

I don’t remember the exact years through the evolution but real bike first bike was blue mongoose motomag . As kids we did the usual riding around town and had some old moto trails (king kong trails) down the street that we use to ride. A few years later we moved to the country and got heavy into motorcycles and three wheelers. Moved back to the “city"  around 6th grade and promptly got back into bikes. I don’t remember what I was riding at the time but started getting into freestyle soon after. Had a few different bikes but ended up with a Haro Sport as my primary ride. We found out about a BMX track, Dallas County Cycle Park and decided to give it a go on our freestyle machines. My first race was on the Haro sport and my old Bell moto 3 dirt bike helmet. I got third place and me and a few friends started racing there soon after. I had two different race bikes during that time period, a Zeronine and a Cycle Craft. We continued racing the local tracks around the metroplex and made the trip up to Oklahoma for the Grands. I never had enough wins to make the move to expert and my last race was in 14I. The next year I went to high school and the bikes got put away and spent the next 4  years doing the usual high school jock stuff. After football ended our senior year we got the bikes back out and got  into dirt jumping for the rest of the year and through the summer. Bikes got put back up at the end of that summer when I packed up and headed off to college. That was 1993. At some point between 1993 and 1996 somebody raided the storage shed and my parents house and made off with all my stuff which included the haro sport both race bikes and all the good parts including a new in the box set of GT power series cranks.   

Started mountain biking around 1997 and found out the mountain bikes of that time period didn’t hold up well when ridden like BMX bikes. Me and a buddy picked up some 24"  cruisers and fitted them with short travel mountain bike shocks and tore up all the local trails. Around 1999 the freeride mountain bike movement was taking off and I picked up a Kona stinky. A few summers later I was visiting a friend out in Cali and we made the trip up to Big Bear and I got my first taste of downhilling. I was hooked and spent the next 5-6 years riding and racing downhill. Along the way I also had a numerous 26"  park bikes and dirt jumpers, mainly specialized P3s, I also did some local XC races and endurance type events. Our local DH race series went away a few years ago so I sold my DH race bike, a santa cruz V10 and went back to where it all started with a Kona stinky. Three years ago I got married and bought a house and the bikes once again got parked for the most part. A few months ago my dad said he still had one of my old bikes. I took a look at it and didn’t recognize it. Apparently whoever raided my stash had pieced this thing together from some of the spare parts, spray bombed it and put some Dyno VFR stickers on it. They must have thrashed on it for a few years then decided to throw it back over the fence at my parents house when they were done with it. I cleaned off the all the paint and found it was a 87 dyno compe. Still had the original GT stamped post and OG seat clamp but the rest was a hodge podge of random parts. The cranks, sprocket  and seat were from my old motomag and the bars were some old skyway EZ bars. Of all the stuff that got stolen they picked some of the lowest end stuff to return, which makes sense. I figured it would be cool to restore the frame which led me to this site. Browsing all the pictures and forums brings back some awesome memories and I now have 3 project bikes in the works.

#42 2011-05-27 1:04pm

EDK1
Pro Member

My first bike was an old crap Schwinn that my older brother pieced together for me. The intention was good but my brothers grew up riding Schwinn Crates so by the late 70s-80s the coolness factor wasn't there. I was kinda embarassed to ride it. Finally my Mom bought a Mongoose at the local swapmeet for $125.00. I thought I was the s@*t. I just rode around the neighborhood. Then another kid moved in down the street and he was into racing so he had a few bikes and offered to let me race one. My first race I got third. Third, but to me it was as good as first. I was hooked after that!smile

#43 2011-05-27 1:58pm

pantherpower
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

In 1984 I was 10 years old and in the grocery store with my parents. I passed by the magazine rack and to my astonishment I saw a magazine with a guy on a bike doing a trick in the air. First of all, I could not believe there was a magazine about bikes/bike riding for sale (my favorite activity was riding my bike at the time). Secondly, I could not take my eyes off the 'shiny' bike that was in the air with a guy in a uniform and helmet on. I had no idea there were other tricks possible besides popping wheelies and doing figure 8's in the street much less about BMX. I bugged my parents to buy the magazine and read that poor magazine cover to cover about 200 times. I still have that magazine today. BTW, it was a September 1984 BMX Action Mag, with Mike Miranda in a Torker uni, doing a kickout/lookback on a chrome twin-tube Torker. Since then BMX has been in my blood. smile

#44 2011-07-27 11:35pm

brewinwithherb

I think it was around 1984 when my best friend came over and said "Hey, my neighbor needs a couple extra kids for some magazine shoot he's doing today"  So, after simply asking my mom If I could go in a car with a complete stranger, to a studio about 30 miles from our house, she said yes!  (WOW, thanks mom...LOL)  Turns out, that neighbor happened to be Harry Leary, and they were doing a studio shoot for a new bike.  Then about a year or two later, I started riding my bike to a local bicycle store out here called "The Bicycle Chain"  There were 3 guys that worked there who seemed to know an awful lot about BMX racing.  So after going there almost daily for a couple of months, and hearing all of their stories, I decided to give it a shot.  Turns out, those 3 guys working at the store were none other than Kevin Hull, Turnell Henry and Tommy Brackens!  I raced from about 1986 to 1993, once I started driving, I found the girls dug the car more than the bike.....How unfortunate!!!

Looking for '89 Brackens 20" F&F, Haro Group 1 RS2

#45 2012-02-26 7:01pm

jkraig

Great stories. Any others out there?

#46 2014-10-28 4:50pm

jkraig

Lets keep this going big_smile

#47 2014-10-28 5:28pm

Spang
Pro Member
Bikes: 9

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/200821/image573d9b11b7_lg5989b857b1.jpg
Late 1978-1979 I had some kind of Schwinn looking three speed that I put BMX bars on that my Dad picked up at the LBS.  Then I see my first BMX bikes in person.  Two twins in my neighborhood had Webco's!!  Those cool rims and knobby tires were so RAD.  Christmas 1980 I got my Huffy Pro Thunder II.  Others I rode with over the years had Team Murray X20r, CW Cali freestyler, and couple other brothers had matching Chrome with Blue pads, Mongoose Californian's.  I always wanted an early Mongoose 78-82 but I had the Huffy and getting a new bike was never in the cards.  We mostly rode around the neighborhood and ramped and rode dirt trails and "drag raced" down a side street and even timed our selves on a stop watch.  Got my license in '86 and the bike went into the top of my parents garage.  Summer of 2013 my dad had a garage sale and said a women was interested in my Huffy.  Sold it for $20. sad  I had no idea the Haro number plate on the bike was worth twice that.  One month later my oldest finally shows interest in learning to ride a bike.  We found an 18 inch Walgoose at a yard sale which got me thinking.  "I need to ride with my son.  I always wanted an old Mongoose so I will just pick one up on ebay for cheap."  WOW, big surprise on the prices of these things.  Bought a Mid School Expert Pro Goose that I ride as often as I can with him and recently, finally scored my old Motomag.  Just waiting to get the cash now to finish it. smile Got a Pro Thunder back too. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/200821/image56511fec5e5989b82cda.jpg

Last edited by Spang (2017-08-08 6:13am)

#48 2014-10-28 5:56pm

aBrainDump
Intermediate
Bikes: 10

jkraig wrote:

brandonbig wrote:

I shut it down about a month ago due to a lack of interest. sad

Waybackmachine has some of ttbmx.com cached here https://web.archive.org/web/20110128165 … ttbmx.com/

10K+ posts in one forum is not bad at all.  But I do admit I never ran across your site till now.

#49 2014-10-28 6:05pm

hoffmanfan
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 1

One word..... RAD

#50 2014-10-28 7:14pm

Rickchrist09
Intermediate

I have a sister who is just 1 year older than I and a brother who is just 1 year younger. We shared a stepthrough type banana seat bike for a while but my brother and I started jumping it and so when I was 6 or 7 we each got new bikes for christmas. I got a 20" roadmaster, it was a candy type red with gold parts and my brother a 16" that was black with chrome. We had a plank of wood about 8" wide and 6' long that we rested on house bricks and we would have contests to see who could jump farthest. It was funny because we each had to mark where the other had landed so it was not exactly unbiased.

One school holiday my brother went with Dad to work out of town for 2 weeks and came home with 200 dollars. This would have been when I was 11 and in a Toyworld catalouge we saw this Repco freestyler. Anyway of course I wanted one as well so I struck a deal with Dad to mow the yard for the next year, which I did, and we both got new bikes. They were only fairly crappy bikes but looked so good and had stunt pegs on the forks.

My brother soon after got into motocross riding but I was always on my bmx. I had a couple of friends who were into bmx and they lived out of town a bit and had dirt jumps. Over the couple of years until my 14th birthday I had cracked the frame on the repco, got a frame off my cousin which was a hotfoot I think and then was using my brothers repco. It was now 1990 and the bike shop in town had a 88 Redline rl20b frame kit in kiwi colour that I used to go nearly every day just to look at. It was sitting in the shop for 2 years easily. I dont think I even remember ever telling Mum or Dad about the redline, I never thought they would spend that much money on a
frame so never bothered to ask. So sitting at the kitchen table the day before my birthday Dad walks in the back door carrying the redline frame and I dont think I ever felt so happy before. I had all my best parts switched onto it in record time. It also came with headset and spintech stem already installed. I already knew exactly how that set up worked because I had been studying it in the shop for so long. I learned how to do 360 tiretaps on flat ground on this bike and also invented a trick where you stick your foot in the front wheel and swing the frame around 360 degrees. I know its a whiplash now, and I know people were doing it long before me, but I had never seen nor heard of such a thing before, so therefore I invented it. We had a very sheltered upbringing in a small country town.

Took just a year before seat mast cracked. Started working on holidays for my uncle and bought a Diamondback Tailwhip in chrome soon after that. Had black acs mags on it that I bought off a friend. And it was my bike until it was stolen from the front of my place when I was 19. At this time I had a son already who was 6 months old and I was a regular working Dad and so thought I didnt need a bmx anymore.

I was wrong. Took me me about 18 months before I bought a GT performer 1997 model, chrome, fan blade mags. Rode it often enough to stay half decent. Council finally caught up with times and built a skatepark in 2000, well its better than nothing. So then the performer was just not cutting it so decided on a 2001 Mirra Flair. The Haro was so much different to the GT it was unbelievable. Had a few good friends around this time that I rode with at least every couple of days. I built a box jump in my back yard that was about 4 1/2 feet tall and the up ramp could be moved in and out. We used to push it out to around 18 feet from lip to lip, run up started on the street, down the driveway which was downhill thankfully, through the carport with a 2' drop off, across 30 feet of lawn and then send it with about 20 feet to stop before the back fence. Not reaaly much tricking going on, just boosting mostly with x-ups and flatties now and then.  Had to move from this house in 2004 and one of my friends took the ramp to their place, I never rode it again after that as it soon deteriorated.

2005 I decided to buy a new bike and give the Flair to my son who was now 10. I also had 2 daughters by this time who were 7 and 5. Got the WTP Primate because it had all the specs that I wanted and its still a great bike to this day. My son left the Mirra in the front yard and it got stolen. Anyway went to bike shop after a bike for the wife and saw a retro PK Ripper and soon after found this place and built up a new Skyway just to look like an old school bike. Dont reaaly have much desire to go hunting for a bike I used to have at this time, but if I ever do I think it will just be a 1988 Redline rl20b kiwi frame and chrome fork with spintech stem, Id like to see the look on Dads face one day when he walks in and sees that hanging on the wall.

Board footer

View Cart →