No more skyway mags for me >:(  RSS Feed

#51 2010-08-06 9:47pm

severed701
Pro Member

Re: No more skyway mags for me >:(

severed701 wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

gotta love this reproduction stuff wink

you are such a douchebag...really...you are.

In fact...i wouldnt even consider you a "reproduction" douchebag, you are, in fact, the REAL THING!

Recovering Haro hoarder.

#52 2010-08-06 10:19pm

oasissux
Banned
Bikes: 1

JEFFRO216 wrote:

Skyway needs to step up to the plate and stand behind there products if theres a problem fix it, send the man another wheel and pay the shipping. wtf!!!! its a plastic wheel lol i bet they cost less then 5 bucks to make those things.

The guy said he rode on it, then left it in his garage for some time before calling about the warranty. It's not like he called them the day after recieving the wheels. Most retailers won't take used goods back unless it's clear there's a manufacturer's defect. In this case, that's not clear.

Banned for constant, non BMX related drama and site staff bashing.

#53 2010-08-06 11:55pm

Gee Walls
"The Bee Keeper"
Bikes: 6

coloredtuffs.com wrote:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z49/ … TRO24c.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z49/ … TRO24d.jpg
It's cool enough to handle by hand once the machine opens up and pushes the wheel out.....

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z49/ … way106.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z49/ … way160.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z49/ … d_0074.jpg
Here's the 24" Tuff Wheel mold....

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16 … 4896-1.jpg
I run around 55-60 psi in my Tuffs, and the "pulsing" feeling that occurs when braking I guess I just got used to on these.  It's just not that big of a deal to me. I don't "ride the brakes" when riding anyway, so it's not like you feel that when you're riding.  I use blue Kool Stop brake pads, and the brakes work great.....

Plastic extrusion machine / Plastic injection mould wink I had a job with alfred hults for about 3 weeks making plastic hula hoops . Was a night job n i couldnt handle it lol

Caught up in his lies because you can not visualize ,
Cant distinguish truth so you allow him to abuse
The last thing you remember is a loss of control and temper
and when you finally wake you realize its not fake !

#54 2010-08-07 1:54am

rustydraft

Plus Living in Utah, they use salt on the roads for the snow all winter, I am watching my third set of spokes get dingy from the salt, even with a lot of washing after riding. I'm thinking the tuffs would take the salt a little easier........ Hmmmmmm A new project ! A winter bike build ! Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell the wife! smile

#55 2010-08-07 2:05am

RL20II
Pro MemberNatural Born Chiller
Bikes: 12

rustydraft wrote:

Plus Living in Utah, they use salt on the roads for the snow all winter, I am watching my third set of spokes get dingy from the salt, even with a lot of washing after riding. I'm thinking the tuffs would take the salt a little easier........ Hmmmmmm A new project ! A winter bike build ! Shhhhhhhhhh don't tell the wife! smile

Stainless steel spokes are good smile

GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

#56 2010-08-07 3:46am

coasty
Pro Member
Bikes: 18

You want to see a wobbly Tuff!! ?
My old red Tuff II's have a massive wobble and it's been there for 28 years. I still ride it all the time and it is no problem at all.
BUT, I didn't buy them like that either. I would like to see the wobble before I go any further.
Oh and my new 24" Tuffs are spot on. Yeah they have a buckle but it's not that bad. roll

70's bmx is where it's at.

#57 2010-08-07 3:58am

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
For Sale: 20

severed701 wrote:

severed701 wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

gotta love this reproduction stuff wink

In fact...i wouldnt even consider you a "reproduction" douchebag, you are, in fact, the REAL THING!

now that hurts coming from such an esteemed member such as yourself lollollollollol

carry on with your love of the phony. wink

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#58 2010-08-07 4:14am

oasissux
Banned

vintage chromoly wrote:

severed701 wrote:

severed701 wrote:

now that hurts coming from such an esteemed member such as yourself lollollollollol

When did Tuffs stop being 'real'? Can you pin down an exact date for us poor uninformed newbs so we'll know what's 'cool' and what's not?

#59 2010-08-07 4:14am

RL20II
Pro MemberNatural Born Chiller
Bikes: 12

vintage chromoly wrote:

severed701 wrote:

severed701 wrote:

For gods sakes....we need a barbeque area for flame grills LMAO

GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

#60 2010-08-07 4:17am

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

oasissux wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

severed701 wrote:

When did Tuffs stop being 'real'? Can you pin down an exact date for us poor uninformed newbs so we'll know what's 'cool' and what's not?

when you put brand new sealed bearing ones on your 25 year old bike.  wink

extremely lame! big_smile

don't be so sensative about my opinion. if you want to "look" the part instead of having period correct components, have at it.

flame on flamers. lol

Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#61 2010-08-07 4:18am

rustydraft

Oh, I ordered some mike day cruiser bars from you ed, just figured it out, lol They are in transit, I'm stoked. They are going on the rave. I'll hit you up for some tuffs very soon!

#62 2010-08-07 4:21am

popedante
Intermediate
Bikes: 18

lurker wrote:

popedante wrote:

if your not happy - 100% refund - absolute end of story when dealing with customers , 1st rule of business !!

1st rule of a business soon to be out of business.

Not really Lurker , my point is if the goods are faulty they should be replaced, if you treat a customer badly they become an ex-customer
the hardest thing in business is to get someone to buy your product , so you want to keep them coming back to you.

A companys reputation is its most valuable asset , how many people have read this thread and may deceide not to buy some Tuffs ?
Any company will take your $'s , its what happens when something goes wrong  that shows you if they are a responsible company or not.

I've had 2 sets of tuffs , set of steel hubbed ones BITD and a pair of new ones both sets were 100% ,  any manufacturing process will have
an amount of spoil/faults as its just not possible to test every piece , most companys will test something like 1 in 100 for faults so thats leaving one hell of a lot of wheels out there untested  ,  i am NOT suggesting that Skyway does not test their products ! you design a manufacturing process to reduce errors but its is nearly impossible to eliminate them  and have a perfect product when you are talking about a high volume/low cost plastic wheel.

Just my opinion not trying to get into an arguement   big_smilebig_smile

#63 2010-08-07 4:26am

oasissux
Banned

vintage chromoly wrote:

oasissux wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

don't be so sensative about my opinion. if you want to "look" the part instead of having period correct components, have at it.

flame on flamers. lol

Lol.

Some people worry about 'period correct' while others worry about function. If you just coast around on your bike, I guess function probably doesn't matter though.

#64 2010-08-07 7:12am

coloredtuffs
Pro MemberPlanetBMX
Bikes: 32
Website

I remember a phone call that I got in 2005 from Bart over at the Skyway factory. He told me that they ( the owners of the company, who are the very same guys that started the company in the 60's) had planned a revision for the Tuff Wheel that would change the bearing assembly to a sealed cartridge setup. The previous revision to that wheel was 20 years earlier, in 1985, when the inner core of the hub was changed from the alloy flanges.

Little did anyone over at Skyway know that apparently this change now made the Tuff Wheels "reproduction".  Although Skyway has made Tuff Wheels each and every year since 1974, they apparently became "phony" 5 years ago........ roll

-Ed Ferri / PlanetBMX.com
Authorized dealer for: Haro, SE Racing, Skyway, Subrosa, MCS, Sunday, Cult, Stranger, Premium & Fairdale Bicycles, and Odyssey, Demolition, Shadow Conspiracy, Primo, Premium, Redline, Profile, Cult, Proper, Colony, Answer BMX parts and accessories!
We'll match or beat any other bike shop's price!

#65 2010-08-07 7:20am

Dyno-Mike
Has a 16" Dinky
Bikes: 86

coloredtuffs.com wrote:

I remember a phone call that I got in 2005 from Bart over at the Skyway factory. He told me that they ( the owners of the company, who are the very same guys that started the company in the 60's) had planned a revision for the Tuff Wheel that would change the bearing assembly to a sealed cartridge setup. The previous revision to that wheel was 20 years earlier, in 1985, when the inner core of the hub was changed from the alloy flanges.

Little did anyone over at Skyway know that apparently this change now made the Tuff Wheels "reproduction".  Although Skyway has made Tuff Wheels each and every year since 1974, they apparently became "phony" 5 years ago........ roll

i think it was a great idea, i call them "new style"...sealed bearings make them much more rideable!

#66 2010-08-07 7:32am

ender1886
Bikes: 9

You should post a pic of the wheel, that way we can all see what your talking about. I have a Dyno with Mags that wobble a bit but i still ride that sucker everyday.

"If I have a bike, I'm going to ride it."

Looking for Front MX900 or 890 Brakes in gold. smile

Would love some 1985 Hutch Windstyler Parts
Would Also love 1979 Torker MX Stem and Bars

#67 2010-08-07 12:40pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

oasissux wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

oasissux wrote:

flame on flamers. lol

Lol.

Some people worry about 'period correct' while others worry about function. If you just coast around on your bike, I guess function probably doesn't matter though.

and apparently if you try to ride on these new ones they are useless as well. so much for function wink

think about why this thread started in the first place.  the wheels are suspect!

how many sets of tuff 2's do you see at a modern riding arena? none! they are made and marketed to old school bmx enthusiasts. it becomes "phony" when you put them on display bikes to look as if they are old "real" 1980's vintage tuff wheels.

#68 2010-08-07 1:24pm

coloredtuffs
Pro MemberPlanetBMX
Bikes: 32
Website

And I'll be having fun riding tonight with 20 of my friends on my phony Quad cruiser with phony tuff wheels . Sounds better than staying home and polishing up my 30 year old BMX parts.....

-Ed Ferri / PlanetBMX.com
Authorized dealer for: Haro, SE Racing, Skyway, Subrosa, MCS, Sunday, Cult, Stranger, Premium & Fairdale Bicycles, and Odyssey, Demolition, Shadow Conspiracy, Primo, Premium, Redline, Profile, Cult, Proper, Colony, Answer BMX parts and accessories!
We'll match or beat any other bike shop's price!

#69 2010-08-07 1:30pm

nason
BMXer 4 Life

wow

#70 2010-08-07 1:39pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member

coloredtuffs.com wrote:

And I'll be having fun riding tonight with 20 of my friends on my phony Quad cruiser with phony tuff wheels . Sounds better than staying home and polishing up my 30 year old BMX parts.....

i'll be working on a 10 second 1967 plymouth gtx. wink

have fun ed. smile

#71 2010-08-07 2:59pm

ender1886

I think as long as you like your bike that's all that counts. Even if it has Square Wheels.

"If I have a bike, I'm going to ride it."

Looking for Front MX900 or 890 Brakes in gold. smile

Would love some 1985 Hutch Windstyler Parts
Would Also love 1979 Torker MX Stem and Bars

#72 2010-08-07 3:12pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life

I have three letters for you, A C S .

Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

#73 2010-08-07 3:19pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

vintage chromoly wrote:

i'll be working on a 10 second 1967 plymouth gtx. wink

With alot of "phony" parts.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#74 2010-08-07 3:26pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.
Bikes: 23

myone wrote:

I have three letters for you, A C S .

+1 big_smile

#75 2010-08-07 3:27pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland

roll

I like the new tufs because i don't have to regress them big_smile I have 3 set and no problems, i have yet to use the 24's on something so i can't speak for those

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

Board footer

View Cart →