You are not logged in.

No more skyway mags for me >:(  RSS Feed

#1 2010-08-06 12:06pm

tortuga
Museum Addict

No more skyway mags for me >:(

Bought 2 sets of 24" mags, this is not the first 2 sets I've bought and have never had any problems with them. On one set the rear mag is untrue to the point it can't be ridden since you can feel the wobble pretty bad, so I call the warranty department and they tell me to send it in, so I do. Next I get a call just to tell me that yes the mag is untrue but it's inside their "tolerance", wtf! the wheel is useless!!! on top of that I have to pay again to get it back!! this is all bull!!. Now I'm out shipping both ways and get to keep a wobbly mag that I can't even ride. I'm sticking to spoke wheels from now on.  mad. end of rant.

#2 2010-08-06 12:19pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol
Bikes: 2

Re: No more skyway mags for me >:(

Are they new? That sucks, man. sad

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

#3 2010-08-06 12:21pm

MSMXII
Pro Member"Overkill"

"YES, it's UNTRUE"...but within our tolerance...WTF? Damn , what's up with Skyway? Hope this never happens to me with their products or i'll for sure end my businees relations with them and stay OS, when producing a quality product actually ment something.

Sorry to hear about your crappy situation, hope you get it resolved.

Eff off..if you don't like my "KIDS BIKE" tongue
Until next time...Keep One Foot in the Gutter...And One Fist in the Gold

#4 2010-08-06 12:36pm

Lurker
Crash-Endo

spokes for everything riding, mags for looks.

Its my fault, always my fault, even when someone else is the issue its my fault. If I type something its an attack, and I am always in the wrong, no matter the truth or the facts, if I am posting I must be starting something and I am for sure in the wrong.
Looking for Tim Judge Forks   have chrome hutchins judge forks for trade
Need chrome vector forks ,redline FLIGHT drive side 185mm single pinch flight

#5 2010-08-06 12:38pm

BMX-Wing
Aaron O.
Bikes: 23

F- that man, thats BS!!! tell them when you or your KID gets hurt because of the wheels, they can explain to the courts and a judge that it was with in their tolerance limit. im glad you posted this, if half of us stop buying skyway mags they will feel the pinch, and lose out on countless amounts of $$$. you should start a dont buy skyway post.

#6 2010-08-06 12:44pm

seko
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Ive had a bad experience with them as well.

Looking For:
Early 89/91 S&M Maddog
Orphan Prince Albert Crank 4th Gen
US Trick Star Frame
Peregrine Super Pros
Front Araya 7x Rider
Purple Western Hutch Stem
Gold 1" S&M Redneck

#7 2010-08-06 12:50pm

markmc97225
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

Untrue to the sense it can't be ridden vs. within tolerance. What's the real story? We're missing the third side here, which is the truth. I can't imagine a reputable company saying in unrideable rim is within tolerance, Sorry, doesn't add up.

I'm not saying that you should be happy with an untrue rim that is BRAND new, but, I gotta admit, I think "unrideable" might be over the top.

Whenever someone says, "I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart," all I hear is, "I'm not real smart, but I'm imaginary smart."

#8 2010-08-06 12:54pm

83GTLongPro
"I Hate Cruisers"
Bikes: 9

Just gotta love "customer service" with the big boy companies.  I work at a new car dealership.  It amazes me how a manufacturer can poop on a customer and blame the dealer for being the one unwilling to take care of THEIR customer.  hmm

"If he was an ice cream, he'd be pralines and d!ck."

#9 2010-08-06 12:54pm

tortuga
Museum Addict

markmc97225 wrote:

Untrue to the sense it can't be ridden vs. within tolerance. What's the real story? We're missing the third side here, which is the truth. I can't imagine a reputable company saying in unrideable rim is within tolerance, Sorry, doesn't add up.

I'm not saying that you should be happy with an untrue rim that is BRAND new, but, I gotta admit, I think "unrideable" might be over the top.

I say unrideable because not only I can see it's untrue, you can feel the wheel wobbling while riding it(the other set of mags I got don't have this problem at all). I had to open up the brakes a bunch so the wheel stopped from hitting them.

#10 2010-08-06 1:01pm

markmc97225
Pro Member

If you paid with a credit card, then, contest the purchase as tried to resolve with vendor unsatisfactorily, AND they have your stuff, so, more to tip the scales in your favor. I've seen that in action on the retailer/vendor back end. It's phenomenol how it works. From what I recall, the next day, the deposit to the vendor is reduced by the amount of your contested claim. The vendor then has 3 days to respond, or, the charge is permanently reversed.

I've used it 2X in 20+ years and it's your best friend.

Good luck. New stuff should be good stuff.

Whenever someone says, "I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart," all I hear is, "I'm not real smart, but I'm imaginary smart."

#11 2010-08-06 1:08pm

popedante
Intermediate
Bikes: 18

if your not happy - 100% refund - absolute end of story when dealing with customers , 1st rule of business !!

#12 2010-08-06 1:30pm

endo
Expert
Bikes: 1

The only "mag" i ever wanted growing up was a set of 3 spoke Spins, but even those i was terrified of bending. We taco'ed rims on a daily basis BITD before double walls came out.

#13 2010-08-06 1:38pm

keithandstef
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

markmc97225 wrote:

If you paid with a credit card, then, contest the purchase as tried to resolve with vendor unsatisfactorily, AND they have your stuff, so, more to tip the scales in your favor. I've seen that in action on the retailer/vendor back end. It's phenomenol how it works. From what I recall, the next day, the deposit to the vendor is reduced by the amount of your contested claim. The vendor then has 3 days to respond, or, the charge is permanently reversed.

I've used it 2X in 20+ years and it's your best friend.

Good luck. New stuff should be good stuff.

No doubt. Tell them to keep the one they have and send the other one their way. At least you'll have your money back and be out the same amount of shipping as if they sent your wobbly one back. BS either way dude. Sucks.

#14 2010-08-06 1:54pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

I forgot to ask, did you buy them from Ed?

#15 2010-08-06 1:55pm

getset
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Man that sucks.  Having to open the brake so much for the wobbly wheel sound dangerous too.  I'm surprised they didn't just send you a new one even if it passed there tolerance test.  When on the phone you might have said, "I need to talk with your manager".  Sometime it all depends on who you talk to.  I've certainly heard co-workers giving bad and totally wrong info to people before.

#16 2010-08-06 1:55pm

alainmagana
Pro MemberIn Wonderland

Dang I bought a set on X-mas and just open to make sure all was good. have not used them because i keep losing out on 24 f/f sets neutral

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#17 2010-08-06 2:00pm

tortuga
Museum Addict

popedante wrote:

if your not happy - 100% refund - absolute end of story when dealing with customers , 1st rule of business !!

forget about returning them, it's been more than 45 days since I got them, I rode them 1 time, saw the problem then tried to get a replacement for it to no availability. I left them in the garage for a while and forgot about them, since they are still new I called to see if it was still possible to get a replacement and then you know my story smile.

#18 2010-08-06 2:01pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Just stick the mag in the freezer for a week,it will true itself out.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#19 2010-08-06 2:01pm

Lurker
Crash-Endo

popedante wrote:

1st rule of a business soon to be out of business.

Its my fault, always my fault, even when someone else is the issue its my fault. If I type something its an attack, and I am always in the wrong, no matter the truth or the facts, if I am posting I must be starting something and I am for sure in the wrong.
Looking for Tim Judge Forks   have chrome hutchins judge forks for trade
Need chrome vector forks ,redline FLIGHT drive side 185mm single pinch flight

#20 2010-08-06 2:09pm

Cruser King
Museum Addict

notice SKYWAY hasent spoken on here yet??

2 ride is to live, BMX 4 LIFE!

screw the gov't, RIDE A BIKE!

#21 2010-08-06 2:16pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

Cruser King wrote:

notice SKYWAY hasent spoken on here yet??

If you are talking about Ed, he doesn't own Skyway, he's a distributer. And Tortuga still hasn't said he bought them from Ed.

#22 2010-08-06 2:23pm

coloredtuffs
Pro MemberPlanetBMX
Bikes: 32
Website

Well, nobody from Skyway has noticed this yet, but it's only been up for 2 hours, and I'm sure that's because its still working hours.
I ride a set of new 24" Tuff Wheels that I pulled out of the box, just like everybody else does.  If you put too much air pressure in a Tuff Wheel, the side wall can expand a bit and you'll feel that when braking. 
Now, compared to a spoke wheel, I can feel a difference when riding my tuffs.  They are a bit more flexy, but then again, I'm a big guy, and I expect that.  I still ride rough on them, and I've never once felt scared of them.  Since the wheels are "molded" in a machine, Tuff Wheels usually aren't 100% "true".  It's been that way since the 70's, and millions of wheels were made, and ridden with no issues.  You just can't expect a Tuff Wheel, especially a 24" one, to feel the same as a spoke wheel. 
Can you post a video of what the wheel looks like when it spins on your bike? That would tell the whole story here to me....

-Ed Ferri / PlanetBMX.com
Authorized dealer for: Haro, SE Racing, Skyway, Subrosa, MCS, Sunday, Cult, Stranger, Premium & Fairdale Bicycles, and Odyssey, Demolition, Shadow Conspiracy, Primo, Premium, Redline, Profile, Cult, Proper, Colony, Answer BMX parts and accessories!
We'll match or beat any other bike shop's price!

#23 2010-08-06 2:25pm

tortuga
Museum Addict

coloredtuffs.com wrote:

Well, nobody from Skyway has noticed this yet, but it's only been up for 2 hours, and I'm sure that's because its still working hours.
I ride a set of new 24" Tuff Wheels that I pulled out of the box, just like everybody else does.  If you put too much air pressure in a Tuff Wheel, the side wall can expand a bit and you'll feel that when braking. 
Now, compared to a spoke wheel, I can feel a difference when riding my tuffs.  They are a bit more flexy, but then again, I'm a big guy, and I expect that.  I still ride rough on them, and I've never once felt scared of them.  Since the wheels are "molded" in a machine, Tuff Wheels usually aren't 100% "true".  It's been that way since the 70's, and millions of wheels were made, and ridden with no issues.  You just can't expect a Tuff Wheel, especially a 24" one, to feel the same as a spoke wheel. 
Can you post a video of what the wheel looks like when it spins on your bike? That would tell the whole story here to me....

I guess I can post a video when I get my wobbly wheel back smile, they got it today.

#24 2010-08-06 2:59pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
For Sale: 20

gotta love this reproduction stuff wink

unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

#25 2010-08-06 3:15pm

bloud
Pro Member

Just go post a link to this discussion on their Facebook page. You won't have anymore problems. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Skyway … 374?ref=ts

Last edited by bloud (2010-08-06 5:49pm)

Board footer

View Cart →