You are not logged in.

1982 Huffy Pro Lightning

#1 2010-07-31 9:19pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted
Bikes: 3

1982 Huffy Pro Lightning

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/huffy2_copy4.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/huffy3_copy2.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/huffy4_copy1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/huffy5.jpg

1982 Huffy Pro Lightning

Probably the 1st RESTORED, show worthy Huffy on The BMX Museum!

Here's a restoration that this place has yet to see!  Here's my  Huffy.   I got one just like it for Christmas back in 1982.  It was the closest thing to a decent bike that I had until I was able to save my $ and buy my own Freshman year in high school.  It took me 2 years to find another to restore and I finally found a rough starting point.
I tried to use original parts, but as many know, Huffy used a lot of no name junk that was impossible to track down.
Parts List:
Frame/Forks - 1982 Huffy Pro Lightning
Bars - Original Huffy
Seatpost - Original Huffy Teardrop
Stem - Original No Name Double Clamp
Grips - Ame Bubble Font Tri
Levers - Dia Compe Prebent
Calipers - Dia Compe 980/1080
Brake Cables - Dia Compe
Number Plate - Zeronine
Pads - California Lite
Sprocket - Sugino
Chain - Izumi
Rims - Araya Aero
Hubs - Shimano
Spokes - Asahi
Freewheel - Shimano
Seat - Troxel
Tires - Cheng Shin
Bottom Bracket - YST
Cranks - Original No Name (Restored)
Headset - YST
I also have a NOS original chainguard with teardrop shaped mounts that I didn't put on. (Obvious reasons!)

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

#2 2010-08-01 5:19am

Bling! Bling!
20% cooler
Bikes: 16

Re: 1982 Huffy Pro Lightning

Beautiful bike. Black and gold is such a classy look!
I like the under dogs, the bikes that nobody, well almost nobody, cares for.

You don't HAVE to build every frame and fork you own... right?

#3 2010-08-01 5:23am

Mirage1972
Museum Addict
Bikes: 22

Yeah, it's a Huffy, but it's such a nice bike it's not in the same league as the Huffy's that are so often overlooked. This is a truly awesome bike.

What are the frames on these made out of? Same as regular Huffy, or are they chromoly?

WTB: Nothing, unless it's a real cheap local survivor score!

"BICYCLING DON'TS: Stunting, doing wheelies, or 'dirt biking' places stresses on bicycles far above design intentions.
Damage such as broken welds, bent forks, and 'flat spots' on rims will result" -- Breaking all the bicycling rules since 1977.

#4 2010-09-03 7:41pm

NorCal66
Pro MemberDa-Judge
Bikes: 16

SHARP...one of the toughest build to do is black and gold...the gold colors can vary so much but this turned out FANTASTIC.  Love it.

Building 2013 Hutch Pro #5

[img]http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/pittboy3144/logo6.jpg[/img]

#5 2010-09-03 7:48pm

erichevy
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 4
Website

Nice... was just thinkin it needs the aero rims.  Looks like you already have plans for them tho smile  My neighbor got one of these new and ended up racing it for one season.  He ended up giving it to me and I gave it to someone else... really should have kept it.  Oh, the memories...

"I majored in punk rock" - Mike Watt

Detroit Has A Skyline Too

#6 2010-10-05 6:39pm

midschooler
Museum Addict
Bikes: 47

I know what I need to make look like now! Dude that looks sweet. Where did you find decals?

I pick up what you throw out                                                                                                          Lookin for uncut blast bars!!!!!!!!!!!
O.G.O.A.R.                                                                                                                                                                Midwest BMX

#7 2010-10-05 7:07pm

ulrich
Freestyle Alumni

Love it. Had one as a kid, my first bmx bike.

#8 2011-01-02 12:25am

RetroBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 5
Website

So cool, I also got a Huffy Pro Lightning for Christmas in 1982!  I got the one with the bronze paint over chrome...as tested in BMX Action and BMX Plus.  My bike got run over by a drunk driver (luckily I wasn't on it) in the summer of 1982.  The only thing that I still have of it is the Araya Aero Wheels.  I picked up one of these framesets last year and am planning to do a restore similar to yours.  How did you come by the bike decals?

#9 2011-03-26 1:23am

bendrixx
Museum Newbie

This brought back a flood of memories. I was given this bike, same color, gold rims, everything identical, by my family, Christmas of 1983. (they had bought it a year earlier and hung onto it until I was ready). When I saw it by the tree at age 5, I hated it (if you can believe that). It scared the hell out of me. I was a reclusive, dorky kid that like legos, and riding a bike through our welfare and trailer laden neighborhood in the suburbs of Seattle meant I had to "confront the world." It took me a while to learn to ride it. I had 5 or 6 nasty spills learning how to turn it around on gravel once the training wheels were off, but once I did get the hang of it, something happened and I turned into an adventurer. I became a crazy, adventurous, never home, (except to eat peanut butter sandwiches and apple slices) kid. I remember one triumphant incident at age 7 when the prettiest girl on the block made eyes with me, and her much older, (I believe 12 year old) bully of a boyfriend got super pissed and hopped on his bike to chase me. He didn't have a chance as Lightening and I navigated the old dirt fields outside our neighborhood like champs. I made it home and silently skidded the black and gold beauty up next to my mom in the grass yard, who was gardening. She had no idea what was going on, and didn't even look up from her work on the warm summer evening. The bully pulled up outside our fence, circling like a shark, swearing under his breath, knowing there was nothing he could do. That bike took me everywhere. I was now 8 years old, pedaling around my neighborhood, unafraid of anyone or anything. Old Lightening followed me after we moved the following year to a slightly better neighborhood. My mom had gotten a deal on a real house from friends we could rent (no more trailer and no more scary low rent apartments down the street for us).  As the new kid on the block, I was challenged to a bike race in the park by one of the spoiled juvenile delinquent kids with drug dealer parents, who had just gotten a 3 speed for his birthday. Me and ol' Lightening smoked him on the 1/4 mile cement track, and I was only 9 at the time, he was 13. The next day, I got up and went around to the side of the house to get my bike and it was gone. The drug dealer 13 year old brat's older brothers had stolen it. One of them rode the bike by my house later that day, back and forth outside our window  to taunt me. That would be the last time I ever saw ol Lightening again. My parents had been recently divorced and my mom worked 3 jobs. She was never home and I had no friends being the new kid on the block. When I finally broke down in tears a week later and told her about what had happened, (partly out of shame, partly embarrassment) she looked heartbroken, knowing I'd lost my best friend in the world. She made me march over to demand the bike back and went with me to confront the kid's parents. Well, the parents weren't home, and the bike was long gone (probably sold or traded for Garbage Pail Kids or Transformers). As I sit here with a tear in my eye, I just wanted to say, thanks for restoring this amigo, you also restored a memory for me of something I thought I'd lost forever.

#10 2011-05-01 6:29pm

brandonzhere
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 5

smile

I am building a new Huffy myself..

I have a 2002 Primus that will hopefully come together this Season..

#11 2011-05-09 3:37pm

oldhuffy96
Banned

I have this same bike for sale if anyones interested email me at ipodlover96@gmail.com

#12 2011-06-23 2:11pm

AndrewJoey
Centurion Member
Bikes: 4

Great Bike it really is a blast from my past!  I had this exact bike, it's funny because back then I hated the damn thing because I couldn't afford a Redline so I got the Huffy.  25 years puts things in perspective.  I wish I still had mine.  Great restore job!smile

#13 2011-06-23 3:21pm

Skwerly
Expert
Website

SO, SO cool of you to build this, and what a bang up job you did!  OMG man that thing is nothing short of elegant.  i'm a HUGE 80s huffy fan and when i find the blue/yellow pro thunder that was my first bike, you can bet it'll be built up right. 

triple thumbs up to this build man - totally different, real, OG, and memory laden.  smile

Looking for GT Performer forks - maybe.  Lemme know what you have!

V-bars, knobby tires, and chain guards - Oh, yeah!  big_smile

#14 2011-07-12 9:37pm

kcsslows
Expert

midschooler wrote:

I know what I need to make look like now! Dude that looks sweet. Where did you find decals?

x2:cool:

Street Style is what its all about .

#15 2011-07-12 9:43pm

b_koenig
For Sale Restricted

The decals were custom made by a guy on here.  Unfortunately, he's long gone from the decal biz.....

#16 2011-07-14 12:07pm

69tr6r
Museum Newbie

Nice bike!  I had the same one when I was a kid.  I cracked the handlebars right where the V meets the main bar, so my dads buddy welded them up.  The neck on that bike was made for a larger diameter tubing, so there where these shims welded right to the bars making it fatter in that one area.  you couldn't just change the bars without adding shims.  Don't know what they were thinking with that.

#17 2011-09-22 5:10pm

poppa wheelie
Museum Addict

I love your bikes man some ppls here have up to 30 bikes/FF sets but your 3 bikes blows all others way on out.  a lot of ppls may not agree w/that but them 3 is just my style. super bad.

If I didn't freestyle yesterday, I wouldn't be freestyling today.

#18 2011-09-27 11:28am

CanadianBMX
Museum Addict
Bikes: 33

Super sweet nicest huffy ive ever senn 5*****

I collect/hoard/fix/buy/sell BMX bikes , vintage road bikes , cruisers , mtb , bikes in general ....
Also do the same with old school chevys and classic cars/trucks

#19 2012-07-27 12:15am

preGTpowerlite
Expert

Great job! I had one. It was my last store bought bike before I built my Powerlite. I think I bought it at Kmart. I love the black and gold. The teardrop frame is way cool. Only thing I hated was the gearing. It was like starting out in 3rd gear on a 3 speed. I wish I would have kept it and got some 3pc cranks. Thanks for the memories!

#20 2012-08-25 8:25pm

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

that turned out nice, kickstand and all.  great pics!

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#21 2012-08-27 4:01pm

Jayroxs
Museum Newbie

Hey nice bike ihave the same bike all orignal.I was just on this site to get some info on how much i could sell it and my 500b red line for.nice job.

#22 2012-12-03 9:06am

old84skyway4me
Post Restriction

can you please tell me where you got the decals from?? i have one in chrome im trying to restore and i cant find them anywhere.

FEAR, IT'S THE DARKNESS INSIDE YOU THAT DRIVES YOU TO BE MORE. IT MAKES YOU RIDE HARDER, RUN FARTHER, AND JUST PUT UP OR SHUT UP. WITHOUT FEAR, WE ARE JUST SHELLS WITHOUT PURPOSE!

#23 2013-04-28 7:09am

DTRguy
Museum Newbie
Website

Super nice restoration (save for the Araya rims that I guess you are working on).  This was my second bike (first real sorta BMX)  My first was a stingray conversion.  Those were awful weren't they???  yikes   My first major injury was on one of these when I did a slingshot start and the chain parted... went over the bars and was basically slammed to the ground shattering my right collar bone.

#199 Haro #Blackout 43n. "The Professor"? Lol

#24 2013-05-13 12:35am

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 1

Mirage1972 wrote:

What are the frames on these made out of? Same as regular Huffy, or are they chromoly?

Slop-brazed hi-ten. The "cro-mo" version was special order for hundreds of dollars, the standard version his represents was something like $140.

I said represents because this is NOT a RESTORATION. Car guys call this kind of thing a "restification" because it has some improved parts. The translucent yellow-on-chrome steel brakes and sprocket are gone, along with the gold ADX-7W rims. I didn't look at the hubs, but I doubt this restification used the original black-painted steel version either.

Here's the "Real Deal" from an item that recently sold on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230976269521?nm … _cvip=true

Note to the mods: This expired listing is an example, not an attempt to sell, and doesn't belong in the ebay section.

Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

#25 2013-09-24 7:23pm

keener
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
Website

AWESOME!

Needs - White CW Street Fighter Tire

Board footer