#1 2010-07-18 10:29pm

wired
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-06-14
Bikes: 56
For Sale: 19
Website

Squeaky Bottom Bracket Solved

Flatlandfuel.com had these awesome 19mm Odyssey bottom brackets with American cups on sale a while back for $9.99.  I bought five over two orders.  I finished this Zippo last month and heard a sound on the test drive I never heard before.  When I pedaled, the bottom bracket squeaked like a creaky door.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l258/GHS_Wired/BMX_Museum_Posts/Haro_Zippo_47.jpg

This was the first time I ever used Eastern cranks so I thought it might be them.  I didn't worry too much about it and moved on.  Then I finished this Mirra 540 Air and had the same exact sound.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l258/GHS_Wired/BMX_Museum_Posts/Mirra_540_67.jpg

Ask the Denver crew if they were tired of the squeaking two hours into our ride last month!  It became a joke to even ride near me.  If they thought they were bothered, you should have been on the bike itself! lol

I decided to tap the bearings out of another set today to see if I could figure it out.  Bingo!  There's a rubber washer between the cup and the bearing.  I've never seen that before.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l258/GHS_Wired/BMX_Museum_Posts/OdysseyBB.jpg

So, being the lazy person I am I first tried adding a few drops of oil right on the spacer on the chainring side.  It worked and the squeak is gone.  I did this to both bikes and they're now whisper quiet.  When I use the next set I'll be removing that little noise maker... big_smile

#2 2010-07-18 10:43pm

Nonamecruiser
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-04-09

Re: Squeaky Bottom Bracket Solved

thanks for the info, my black widow cranks have the same washer, ill try the oil or just remove it.

Vintage all day.

#3 2012-02-22 10:04am

00_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2006-07-07
Bikes: 27

I wonder if this is the reason why I have the squeak on my SE Big Ripper? It would be nice to not have to replace the BB if I don't have to. 

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am sure others may have the same issue and may need another idea to pursue.

Awesome bike too!  Hate to see awesome bikes that sound Jaanky!

Last edited by 00_Duck (2012-02-22 1:53pm)

What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone, I know goes away in the end.  ~ NIN Hurt

#4 2012-02-22 10:25am

bitzagoose
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2010-01-08
Bikes: 5

I had a creaky crank on my mongoose some one suggested changing the alloy chain ring bolts for steel ones it sorted the problem.

#5 2013-06-11 7:57am

astroidbeltwalker
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2011-10-07

just fixed mine it's was loud too! drive side crank hardware came loose quick tighten. fixed.

just call me papi now, just papi.
IDK

#6 2013-06-11 2:04pm

ChiefRidesInWoods
Intermediate
Signed up: 2008-02-15

I have Redline monster cranks on my 99 mach one an the squeak is almost unbearable.

Deff going to give this a try!!

Looking for: Late 90s-00 GT Interceptor and Dyno VFR (square tube) Backtrail X2, X3, or X4 stock parts. (Big/small block stem*rounded*, small/big block pedals, seat clamp and sprockets) Nothing fancy it's going on a rider.
Send me a PM with the details and lets trade some parts guys! (or cash)

#7 2013-07-06 1:58pm

Ripn'ride
Expert
Signed up: 2013-05-03
Bikes: 15

i changed my rear, swapped out from 18 to 16t. I dont have sealed 3pc cranks, but 3pc with caged bearings. It didn't squeak and creek, now its nasty.. tho, my new rear freewheel isn't new.. it needs to not make noise.. I can't even tell what the noise is some times:rolleyes: well, I can lossen my crank drive and readjust it. other than that, idk bearings not greased enough..?

Bike's don't do the wheelie by themselves

hmu if you have the location of a dk 12t hah.

#8 2013-07-06 2:27pm

thand72
I'm all out of Auburn Stuff
Signed up: 2011-02-26
Bikes: 10

marked.

Looking for GT Power Series 180mm non-drive crank arm.
"The key to the future is found only in the past." - SSS. Greatest band ever.

Do it for the passion, not the profit.

#9 2013-07-07 9:20am

dedmann
"is Air-Cooled"
Signed up: 2010-03-30

another suggestion is to grease all the interfaces- especially the bb crush sleeve that goes on the spindle wink

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#10 2013-09-23 6:02pm

sidewayzmaniak
Signed up: 2013-04-08

My redlines flights newest ones are a lil squeeky..they were quiet when i installed new enduro replacement bearings...but after reading dedmanns post i remember i was pretty lax on the grease on assembly so after some riding i think thats probably my issue...ill repost after a good greasin...nice bug by the way..

I hope you got a big trunk cuz im puttin my bike in it!

#11 2013-09-23 8:12pm

dedmann
"is Air-Cooled"
Signed up: 2010-03-30

smile

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#12 2013-09-23 8:27pm

G33K
Pro MemberTouch My GUI
Signed up: 2011-03-12
Website

Those are some sick looking rides!!!

WTB: Blue Hutch Trickstar 2************Raleigh Quicksilver

#13 2013-09-24 4:11pm

Mattman215
"The Grey Goose"
Signed up: 2010-07-12
Bikes: 4

00_Duck wrote:

I wonder if this is the reason why I have the squeak on my SE Big Ripper? It would be nice to not have to replace the BB if I don't have to. 

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am sure others may have the same issue and may need another idea to pursue.

Awesome bike too!  Hate to see awesome bikes that sound Jaanky!

My Big Ripper makes noise too. Did this fix work for yours?

What I'd give for a early 80's 26" GT Cruiser....

#14 2013-09-25 12:35pm

Ripn'ride
Expert

my pedals aren't in the best condition and i think thats what recently has been creaking. its just echoes through the arms but idk.

#15 2013-09-29 9:20am

sidewayzmaniak

Ok i tore down my entire bb...cups out of frame bearings out cups...lubed every surface and reassembled...no more squeakin..but stil have a creak on both downward strokes of drive and non drive side...only when standin..when sitting its smooth as butter and quiet...heres the question...i have rplaced bearings with enduro brand bearings and i am 215 lb guy on an 03 aluminum redline...would these 2 factors be part of the creak...i can live with a slight creak now that squeakin is gone...any suggestions guys

#16 2013-09-29 9:23am

sidewayzmaniak

Oh yeah..chain is new..kmc 610? dropbuster ..new cranks sprocket and freewheel ordered for other reasons...should i go ahead and pick up new bb...

#17 2013-09-29 9:35am

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe
Signed up: 2012-09-28
Bikes: 13

Cranks?

Anything is negotiable.

#18 2013-09-29 2:18pm

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
Signed up: 2012-04-22
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3

Wow, none of my OPC cranks with ball bearings have ever squeaked, it must be a superior design smile All I hear is the gentle grinding of sand!

Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

#19 2013-09-30 9:51am

Jeno007
Defender of The Universe
Signed up: 2012-09-28
Bikes: 13

lol

Anything is negotiable.

#20 2013-09-30 1:13pm

sidewayzmaniak

I gave up on opc after breaking a set of proseries gts on bike bitd...ive abused gt 3 piece power series and redline flights without any issues but some mild creakin...gentle grindin of sand..yikes

#21 2013-10-01 5:24pm

sidewayzmaniak

SOLVED MINE...ive got 3 more things ive done to add...did a lil research on da google...on some mtb forums ran into 3 more things you guys can try...first i yanked pedals and greased threads..next pulledspindle bolts and pinch bolts and greased those threads including sprocket bolt and all surfaces that touch a thin layer...next and this last one would work for both opc and 3 piece in my opinion pull your seat post out and grease it up...i did all these at same time cuz i was determined to have a nice quiet bb even on full torque sprints...so if u are having issues trackin one down here are some that worked for me...plus itll keep everything from seizin on u...hope this helps.... oh yeah if i havent said its smooth as butter..redline bb w enduro replacement bearings and 180 flight dub pinch cranks...

#22 2013-10-08 2:49pm

Ripn'ride
Expert

recently, i got a diamondback viper and the OPC was ok, I ended up re-pinching the ball cages up together a bit... and yea its a creakin.. problem i saw was when i tore off the pedal -- i didn't take the notice of watching the before and after; when i put it back on the crank arm, i looked at the threads cuz i was suspicious why there is a slight gap between my pedal and the arm, like uh.. Wouldn't that be flush like the other pedal..? I'm thinking that can cause a creak.

#23 2013-10-08 3:21pm

sidewayzmaniak

Should be flush against crank...hope no cross threading..take it off and clean threads on pedal spindle and threads in crank arm...a lil grease on threads when u reinstall...if that dont fix creakin might need new caged ball set...or pull seat post and make sure it has i thin coat of grease too....try diff set of pedals...list goes on...oh, plenty of grease when u dropped bearings back into cups ..right?

#24 2013-10-08 9:12pm

RL20II
Natural Born Chiller
Signed up: 2006-11-24
Bikes: 12

Grease is your friend with most BB issues and headsets too, even between headset spacers on threadless systems, with BB's I always grease every bit as it goes in.

And on the creaking note: if you find creaking with a euro bb be sure to check the drive side for tightness, and always use some type of anti sieze compound when installing them trust me it makes life easier when you need to remove them.

GROW THE HELL UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! WE ARE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH KIDS BIKES NOT KIDS PLAYING AT BEING GROWN MEN.
****What's normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly****

#25 2013-10-08 9:21pm

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI
Signed up: 2012-10-09

Good stuff here.

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

This too shall pass.

That's the way it goes. Life ain't fair and the world is mean.

Board footer