You are not logged in.

REDLINE SQUARBACK , Which one did YOU let get away BITD !  RSS Feed

#1 2010-06-17 3:18pm

combover
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 3

REDLINE SQUARBACK , Which one did YOU let get away BITD !

I Moved out of My mom's house about 20 years ago or so and needless to say... had taken on a bunch of bills now new to me at the time, rent, phone, BEER, big_smile ins. ect. ect.  I started selling off some of my stuff at the local Flea Mkt. in San Jose, Ca.  (Capitol drive in)  So....  one saturday morning (back then) I am loading my blue and white 1966 vw bus up with some goods to go and sell off and make some beer...I mean RENT money, as I am looking at all the junk in the garage deciding what to get rid of and for some STUPID reason I decided to throw my old Redline Squareback in the bus to get rid of it, I had a REAL NICE 24" profile at the time and figured I didnt need that old Squareback any longer........................ (Dumbass, I know)   so that Squareback sat out there at the fleamarket on the ground like a pissed on blanket or a broken waterbed heater  for the better part of the morning till some kid who was probably still wet behind the ears came up to me and said..."Wow, ..is that a Redline Squareback"  I said yep, it sure is...How did you know that? he said that "he had heard of them but never had seen one"  this is just a kid mind you, he had NEVER seen a squareback before as they were way before his time..... and I could tell that he was now in awe at the sight of such a beautiful piece of Bmx Artwork, and he now had the chance to actually purchase the Iconic Famed RedLine Squareback that he had probably only read about in Antique National Geographic magazines or heard about from his great great great grandfather around the campfire.......Anyway  He then asked me "Well how much is it"  I told him howsbout 50 bucks?  he said he would go ask his mother.....he left, I didnt think he would return,  I thought about throwing my old Squareback that had seen so many high-speed downhill Almaden Quicksilver Firetrail runs,  the "Tea cups" by Andrew Hill High, "the Bowl" behind Pioneer High School and every GREAT punk and rock party around that area  back in my Blue and White 1966 VW Bus and taking it back home with me....but I didnt and he shortly returned and said "This is all I have"  it was like 34 bucks and a bunch of change totalling like 37 bucks or something......I said     "Its yours kid"  I think that the smile on that kids face when I accepted his offer was worth letting it go that day for 37 bucks.......I had early Phil hubs on that bike.......     I Hope that "KID" is here on this Forum and still has that Redline Squareback *****AND***** the story of scoring it at the Capitol Flea   for 37 bucks!!  some 20 years ago.........

Last edited by combover (2010-06-17 3:24pm)

#2 2010-06-17 3:33pm

AndrewSi
Intermediate

Re: REDLINE SQUARBACK , Which one did YOU let get away BITD !

cool and sad at the same time! haha

Wish i could find a square back  at the fea market. Matter of fact i was just at the capitol fea market haha

nothing good only thing worth looking at was a 93 mach 1 gt decked out in lowrider parts roll frame was the only thing gt everything else was garbage.

WTB- '75-'82 Mongoose Chain Guard w/ mounting hardware
         Vinyl Mongoose pads in yellow or black

#3 2012-02-21 4:59pm

combover
Pro Member
For Sale: 3

Whats wrong ?  nobody remembers letting go of the Squareback they had BITD ? (Maybe nobody WANTS to remember letting it go)

#4 2012-02-21 5:28pm

casper
Pro Member

cool

Board footer

View Cart →