You are not logged in.

Refurb a bike chain

#1 2010-05-20 10:00am

hiro tonka
Bikes: 8

Refurb a bike chain

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to refurb a bike chain. The chain in question is a GT stamped one (white).
Would it be difficult to re-rivet it back together? What would I need to do this?

Can anyone help out please,
need your knowledge before I pop out the links.
Cheers.
Steven

#2 2010-05-20 10:16am

jay brand
Homeless Bikes Nut
Website

Re: Refurb a bike chain

Id start by giving it a bath in a parts cleaner tub. Get all the gunk and dried up crap out from inbetwwen the links. You can take the whole chain apart and repaint the link faces but you had better know how to use a link removal/installer tool like a pro. Putting a chain back tohether takes a bit of skill and should'nt be tried for the first time on a chain that you want to keep. Get a beater chain and practice using the tool until you have it down cold. After that go for it on the GT chain. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you dis assemble your good chain.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#3 2010-05-20 10:49am

phillyc71
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

get a good chain tool such as the CT-3 or CT-4.2 by Park Tool. they're pricey but worth it, especially for a big job. the cheap chain tools wouldn't hold up for an entire chain.
http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=5

a bit of advice I wish someone would've given me about chains…you never push the pin all the way through and out. go a little at a time so it's still in the outer link but clear of the inner link so the links can separate. if the pin comes out you have to seat it again by hand (and hammer) which can be a long, frustrating (and sometimes painful) process.

#4 2010-05-20 1:13pm

00_Duck
Museum Addict
Bikes: 27

What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone, I know goes away in the end.  ~ NIN Hurt

#5 2010-05-20 6:05pm

squish
Intermediate
Bikes: 40

Shadow conspiracy chain breaker! Simply awesome if your gonna remove the links. I use to just grind the rivet head down and beat the crap outta the pin till it gave into submission. Now that I got one of these bad boys its like butter. And like philly said don't push the pin all the way through.

#6 2010-05-20 10:34pm

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

ohh. come on its not that hard. just put u,r fav music on and crack open a bottel of jack d. the time will fly in.

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

Board footer