You are not logged in.

Quitting smoking... day one  RSS Feed

#26 2010-05-04 12:59pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
Bikes: 10

Re: Quitting smoking... day one

I used to smoke. I still do but, I used to too.....

I have quit a few times for years at a time. After that first week or so you forget about them.

Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

#27 2010-05-04 5:19pm

alcyon2sp
Expert
Bikes: 9

I am the owl... wrote:

Ive quit a few times, for various amounts of times. I seemed to have an easier time of it then, but I wasn't as serious as I am this time. SO many people die from cancer, and I don't want to do that to my kids....

thats good motivation, my dad died of COPD, a kind of lung failure becuase of smoking, the hell my brother and i went through 2 weeks before he died, cant be described. wishing that he will somehow pull through, then, 2 days before christmas he was gone.

Live BMX, Eat BMX, Drink Coca Cola

#28 2010-05-05 1:28pm

heathcliff
Expert
Bikes: 6

how did your first day go cuz?

WTB:
HOMELESS SOUL BRO FRAMESET
HOMELESS PLAYER FRAMESET

#29 2010-05-05 2:14pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Better than yesterday, but still tough.... im getting a lot more optimistic tho.... thanks for asking.

I love dead people....

#30 2010-05-05 2:19pm

07CARRERA
Mr. Haro Master
Bikes: 17
Website

I am the owl... wrote:

im getting a lot more optimistic tho....

dude, give it up. Resistence is futile! Give in to your feelings! I feel the hate within you!

Last edited by 07CARRERA (2010-05-05 2:20pm)

U.S. Army Reserve
SGT, 31B20
Military Police

#31 2010-05-06 3:11am

choad666
Hooked On Phone Sex

Quitting wasn't the hard part for me, it was doing all the stuff I used to do while smoking that drove me nuts. I always had to have a smoke on the way to work and the way home. When I quit, it always seemed like I was forgetting something. Taking break at work really sucked, it bored the hell out of me for the first couple of days and for about the next month I just worked through break so I didn't want to have one.

Good luck Trev, it's a b**ch in the beginning but you will soon get over it.

Gotta love the 80's and 90's, when a simple smile could get you laid. That same smile now gets me pepper sprayed and a karate chop to the throat.

#32 2010-05-06 3:27am

MADDAWG
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 16

Good luck ive done it in the past , but its my only addiction besidea this . The wife is after me to quite but its very hard .  Dont mean to preach but you really have to turn it over to a force greater then yourself and ask for strenght when needed . Also dont babysit the desire IT WILL PASS  . It was easier for me to give up the drugs after 20+yrs of abuse - asked for help and 1 day the desire was gone.  But i still cant seem to leave the smoking  good luck to you remember just dont smoke TODAY dont worry about tomorrow  and the days will turn to weeks and the weeks to  months and so on .

Last edited by MADDAWG (2010-05-06 3:28am)

.                       IL/WI Border area O.G.O.A.R.                            

Rule #9 :If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

#33 2010-05-06 3:50am

freedo
Pro MemberWhite Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 3

thnx for all the incentive to not start smoking cool

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

#34 2010-05-06 5:02am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

MADDAWG wrote:

Good luck ive done it in the past , but its my only addiction besidea this . The wife is after me to quite but its very hard .  Dont mean to preach but you really have to turn it over to a force greater then yourself and ask for strenght when needed . Also dont babysit the desire IT WILL PASS  . It was easier for me to give up the drugs after 20+yrs of abuse - asked for help and 1 day the desire was gone.  But i still cant seem to leave the smoking  good luck to you remember just dont smoke TODAY dont worry about tomorrow  and the days will turn to weeks and the weeks to  months and so on .

I believe there is no force greater than a persons own mind. I am doing it for myself, by myself. As soon as you try and convince yourself it is out of your hands, and in the hands of a greater force, you have lost, as you have deferred responsibility. The only people that can change anything, and do it successfully, are ourselves. I appreciate the words of encouragement tho, every comment here has helped me so far.

I love dead people....

#35 2010-05-06 6:34am

bmxerpete
Pro Member

^^^ Owl, I agree with you 100%.

#36 2010-05-06 9:03am

Metallicaloving13yearold
Mr.Hefner

grandpa died of cancer from heavy smoking and drinking a few years back  we built on a portion of our hose for him to have somewere to stay until he got better but he had cancer in his limph nodes and closed his throat and was on a feeding tube for weeks and the cancer got worse and worse and  about 14 days after we got him into our house he passed he was a vietnam vet also
and my g ma smokes 3-4 packs a day and dad smoke 3-5 a packs day ive tried snatchin cigs out of their mouths and breaking them and grabbing there packs and lighting the whole thing on fire and ive even took like 3 full cartons and torched them they just go back for more and more   my gma was on the electric ciggarette for a while but didnt work my dad has never tried to quit but im trying to get him to stop  he stopped smoking pot about 6 or 7 yeARS ago   good luck owl and watching someone die of cancer is enough to make me never smoke im 13 and i have a life to live and im gonna live it without having to pay for those things everyday and i like to be able to breath and i am gonna be able to ride with my kids and posibly even their kids    good luck again  and the strongest power is in your head so dont give in to it

Religion is like a penis... It's fine to have one, It's fine to be proud of it, But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down our throats

#37 2010-05-06 9:13am

unfit4society
Pro Memberbeehive neck
Bikes: 6
Website

Wise words from a 13 year old. smile

You can do it Owl, you totally have the right mindset already.

As for quiting smoking by smoking a bowl.....stupidest thing I've ever heard on the subject, like I dont drink beer anymore I just do a shot of whiskey when I feel the urge. hmm

Last edited by unfit4society (2010-05-06 9:14am)

Please help my Nephew if you can, check my website space.

#38 2010-05-06 9:24am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Thanks for the words everyone..... I truly appreciate them.

I love dead people....

#39 2010-05-06 9:38am

bmxkid
Pro Member
For Sale: 17

Best of luck to you Trevor. I quit smoking cold turkey about 6 years ago and I am very happy now that I did and so is my wife and daughter. The first few days and maybe weeks are tough but it gets easier everyday after. You seem like a guy who is head strong and can get it done. Keep yourself busy and remeber you can do anything you set your mind to. smile

#40 2010-05-06 9:39am

skirkpat
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
Website

good luck...I have quit "things" in life, crutches are hard to walk without...but you will be stronger without them.

Metallica, believe me when I tell you, I have only been disappointed in my 22 year old son once, it was when he started smoking...don't put the people you love through that.

If something I say offends you I would like to sincerely appologize, but please realize I am a complete stranger to 99.9% of you and as such should hold no real power over your emotions. Have a great day ladies and gents and try not to forget to keep life in perspective  :^P

#41 2010-05-06 10:00am

Capn_Crunch
Pro Member
For Sale: 2

It's easy, you just have to really want it.  If you're not dead set on quitting don't BS yourself.  I stopped cold turkey 2.5 years ago and haven't looked back.

Anyone know how to get spray paint out of a baby's eyes?

#42 2010-05-06 11:05am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Well I made a promise to myself to get in better shape this year. I now have a good bike, and quitting smoking is step one of the plan. Once that is done (and the rest of my parts show up) I will be riding my bike daily. Whenever I feel like I could smoke, I will go ride. I want to drop 15- 20 lbs, to basically my ideal weight, and I think i'll be able to do it without too much hassle. I don't eat that bad really, but i've become pretty lethargic, and I know smoking has a hand in that as well.

I love dead people....

#43 2010-05-07 9:54am

bobaru
Expert

you have the right attitude. if you truly want to quit you will. there is always an excuse to light up again, just stay strong. 15 years smoke free and up until a couple of years still had the cravings. it is long battle but you can do it.

#44 2010-05-07 10:13am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

bobaru wrote:

you have the right attitude. if you truly want to quit you will. there is always an excuse to light up again, just stay strong. 15 years smoke free and up until a couple of years still had the cravings. it is long battle but you can do it.

Thanks. I quit a couple years ago, for over a year. THIS time, im not going to let that happen again... im done for good.

I love dead people....

#45 2010-05-07 1:45pm

gashuffy63
"Old Man"

Grandfather started smoking Lucky Strikes in WW2, and continued up until the late 70's when he threw his new pack onto the coffee table and never touched another again. My Grandmother however continued and died from the results in the early 90's. Everyone is wired differently from one another so it's hard to give advice. I guess just look at the situations where you are prone to light up and and try to do something else instead. My wife always lit up after sex, and has now been smoke free for years. I'm pissed.

Pop a wheelie, cop a feelie.

#46 2010-05-07 3:58pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

gashuffy63 wrote:

My wife always lit up after sex, and has now been smoke free for years. I'm pissed.

lol

I love dead people....

#47 2010-05-07 6:36pm

Kid718
Bill Effin' Murray
Website

Good luck man, best thing you can do for yourself.   And think of all the bike stuff you can buy with that smoke money.

Last edited by Kid718 (2010-05-07 6:54pm)

Open to fair offers on anything I have for sale.

#48 2010-05-07 7:03pm

adamdawson
Pro MemberHoffman Overlord

good luck to you.

im myself have been beating the idea into my head lately on quiting. the truth is i really dont like the new FSC (fire safe cigs)
when im riding i can get winded pretty easily and i dont like that. plus i think of all the money i can save that could go to other things. i cant really afford them now as is.
all the bike parts i could buy if i quit............i smoke about a pack a day so thats almost 40 bucks every week......
maybe ill start chewing on straws or something.

#49 2010-05-07 7:26pm

Tbuck
Centurion Member
Bikes: 2

Thanks Owl for the inspiration--I'm going to smoke the last one in my pack right now and then join you.  Don't slip or I'll catch up lol big_smile

"Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you"
Fortune Cookie

#50 2010-05-07 9:04pm

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Guys, im on day four, and I have to tell ya, I already feel WAY better, less congested, etc. I feel like im sweating crap out, but I am feeling more energetic already. Im super optimistic now, and am getting excited. This is the first step of my physical makeover, and im feeling pretty good about my chances of succeeding. The key is, if you are going to try and quit, just quit.... dont drag it out.... the sooner you try, the better. Im here for whatever help you need!

I love dead people....

Board footer

View Cart →