You are not logged in.

All right name it...whats the name of that elusive rim strip material  RSS Feed

#1 2007-08-12 8:10am

micen2

All right name it...whats the name of that elusive rim strip material

pro class rims...what's that material called again...I forgot...and Im gonna try to find some...my mum said "oh! thats...blahblah.."...she knew it right away from doing crafts...but she don't remember now.

#2 2007-08-12 8:24am

doomXpatrol
Intermediate

Re: All right name it...whats the name of that elusive rim strip material

Mylar ribbon, bro!

You are not your post count.

#3 2007-08-12 11:17am

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

big lots usually has piles of it.

#4 2007-08-12 11:35am

AGUILAR3
Museum Addict
Bikes: 29
Website

Here in SoCal,"MICHAELS" arts and crafts store has some. A buddy of mine bought some gold ribbon and used it on his pro class cruiser with awsome results

#5 2007-08-12 4:21pm

micen2

not mylar..it was something else she called it and other ppl called it to on the net and ebay...hmm...but i am gonna check michaels, and ac moore...and BIG LOTS? what section is it in there.and what is it sold for?... thanks.

#6 2007-08-12 9:27pm

86GTWorldTour
For Sale Restricted

I assume mylar works. But I just bought a NOS set of pro class rim bands black/gold and they are not mylar. Its a very thin strip of metal thicker than heavy duty foil what ever the next 1 or 2 thickness' would be called. Mylar is a type of plastic

#7 2007-08-12 11:24pm

AGUILAR3
Museum Addict
Bikes: 29
Website

Mylar is an alternative to the original ProClass strip

What I like about the mylar is that once the inner tube is inflated,the mylar bubbles up through the rim holes just a bit.

#8 2007-08-13 5:34am

micen2

86GTWorldTour wrote:

I assume mylar works. But I just bought a NOS set of pro class rim bands black/gold and they are not mylar. Its a very thin strip of metal thicker than heavy duty foil what ever the next 1 or 2 thickness' would be called. Mylar is a type of plastic

they are not metal...I don't think. unless you have ones different than I do.
I believe they are thick mil plastic with a silver metalic base coat and a translucent mylar top color.

But I can't remember what mum called it...she grabbed it and was like...oh that's ....blahblah..

but she's old now and can't remember.

there was a specific name for it ,in that refelective base coat, mylar opaque top color fashion. i've heard it called that by others many years ago on ebay as well.  just can't remember.

#9 2007-08-13 5:35am

SpeedFreakZX12
Banned
Bikes: 6

86GTWorldTour wrote:

exactly, ive even seen them with painted black copper

#10 2007-08-13 5:53am

micen2

SpeedFreakZX12 wrote:

86GTWorldTour wrote:

ok then...perhaps those were the earliest ones....i did have this set of "steel" proclass's once....talk bout a heavy rim.

the ones Im looking for is the standar mid school strips.   83-88

#11 2007-08-13 5:55am

SpeedFreakZX12
Banned
Bikes: 6

honestly as a kid i remember using those rimes for lake jumping and we never had those strips for some reason, what i did and it looked really good was double a peice of electric tape so theres no stcky side, trust me and try it

#12 2007-08-14 8:32am

86GTWorldTour
For Sale Restricted

SpeedFreakZX12 wrote:

86GTWorldTour wrote:

thank you. I have 2 sets right here in my hands

#13 2007-08-14 2:08pm

micen2

mine are p[lastic...I'm looking right at them...always have been...like I said perhaps the earliest ones were copper...but all mine were always plastic.....N E Way.... wink

check it out...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/micen2/bmx%20museum%20listed/DSCF4817.jpg

and mad resuts....if you take your time and have a sharp exacto knife !

first take your (wrong color) strips (mine were black and gold...obviously I spared the gold side)...use the least fave side...and spray them with adhesive..then put this stuf on carefully...center it....trim the slop witha  sharp exacto...then insert them in the rim ...line up the old holes (real important)...and inflate overly (for a while) till all settles in...do this before the glue completely dries...cause it dont lay real flat on the bubbles..if its a used strip. Then...bam!!!
look at those results !   this mylar tissue comes in green purple red blue yellow gold any color...and all have that metalic ano appearance...and are fully waterproof.

durability ...only time will tell...but the better you clean your old strip and glue it...the better it will be longterm id guess....now...if you don't have a rim strip...well..this tissue is too thin to put with out one...so....you can get plastic roll material..about the same mil....for like projectors and xrays and stuff...then contact cement the tissue carefully on them. bam ...instant rimstrips !!!...

thanks guys...works good...look at the pics...barely any wrinkles at all...the second one will come out better.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/micen2/bmx%20museum%20listed/DSCF4816.jpg

if you guys can see these  pics , let me know. if you can't let me know...I think i fixed the problem.

#14 2007-08-14 4:37pm

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

you didnt need to glue it, wrap the stuff around twice, 2-3 layers of electrical tape on top of that and you would have been set, I have done two sets like this and it works perfect.

#15 2007-08-14 5:50pm

micen2

I actually couldnt find any of the ribbon. do you have a spool of it?  what is the brand name.

#16 2016-06-03 11:13am

Oceanminded
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

Reviving this old post. I'm looking for the HVAC style metal tape that has some substance to it like the ones in my original '84 Proclass Rims. I'm planning on sticking cellophane to it for my DIY Rim Strips. I know people have use mylar tape but it's not the same as it is too flimsy.

Board footer

View Cart →