You are not logged in.

Graphite Tuffs Vs. Non-Graphite

#1 2010-04-27 12:27pm

BmxThrowback
Bikes: 2

Graphite Tuffs Vs. Non-Graphite

Hello there. Just curious if graphite Tuff II's are lighter than the non-graphite ones..and If so, by how much. And also, what are kool-caps for?.. Are they necessarry?

Last edited by BmxThrowback (2010-04-27 12:29pm)

#2 2010-04-27 12:31pm

NBKA-SENSEI
Museum Addict
Bikes: 11
Website

Re: Graphite Tuffs Vs. Non-Graphite

Kool- caps are for decoration, and to give them the look of OG's.
I dont know about the lightness, but I know they are a hell of alot stiffer, hardly no flex.....

F-DIBS in 2009,2010   Sensei~ 

I Vote to abolish the Dibs Factor on the Museum Forever!
Just say NO to Dibs.

#3 2010-04-27 12:35pm

BmxThrowback

Thank you NBKA...much appreciated.

#4 2010-04-27 4:55pm

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

a lot lighter but prone to snaping/cracking if buying second hand look for hairline cracks. also applies to skyway pedals.

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

#5 2010-04-27 9:10pm

otten1949

I'd like to know the same.  How much of a  weight difference between the two?

#6 2010-04-28 7:24am

BmxThrowback

I've been asking around on ebay and so far 2 have said lighter, and 2 have said the same weight. I'm still waiting for a reply by coloredtuffs (planetbmx). So if I hear back from them, I'll post what they say...but in the meantime if anybody knows...

Last edited by BmxThrowback (2010-04-28 7:24am)

#7 2010-04-28 10:37am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

the graphite was skyways race wheel from the 80s and was developed becase the standerd tuff was to god dam heavey for raceing.it cost about 6 to 7 times the price of a standerd tuff. and broke 6 to 7 times easyer. now justify that that if it wasnt lighter. i dont know the weight diffrence between both, but it will be considrable. at the time of its relese im sure it was the lightest bmx wheel available. anywhere and certinly the most expensive. some top freestylers did use them but i think that was more a show off bling thing, in other words i can afford to break these and not give a f*%k. im makeing my sponser that much money thay will buy me more. ha. now thats the real story of the skyway graphite.

#8 2010-04-28 11:48am

BmxThrowback

Ahhh...Thank you nofeet  for info. Very much appreciated.

#9 2010-04-28 12:00pm

jkraig
Pro MemberLive Love Sleep BMX
Bikes: 84
For Sale: 2

The graphites were lighter. They housed alloy Campagnola hubs, where as the regular Tuff's had steel hubs. Not sure of the weight difference between the two, but do know the graphites were lighter. As indicated earlier in this thread, they did crack more easily, and were prone to chipping. They were geared towards racing, and not jumping of houses.

Wanted: OURY grip jersey patch

****  Friends don't let friends ride Moosegoose's ****

#10 2010-04-28 12:38pm

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

just to cover the question about cool caps. the alloy fins are to help disapate heat and aid brakeing. in theroy, in practice not much is gained.

#11 2010-04-28 1:03pm

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

sorry i think im getting mixed up between u.s. and uk names for things. if you are meaning the brake pads (skyway kool stop) then the above answer is corect. if you mean dust caps (rad caps)then NBKA-SENSEI,s answer is corect.

#12 2010-04-28 1:18pm

jkraig
Pro MemberLive Love Sleep BMX
Bikes: 84
For Sale: 2

nofeet1hand wrote:

sorry i think im getting mixed up between u.s. and uk names for things. if you are meaning the brake pads (skyway kool stop) then the above answer is corect. if you mean dust caps (rad caps)then NBKA-SENSEI,s answer is corect.

I think this is the Kool-Cap he is referring to, and they are only for looks.

http://www.maidenusammp.com/Kool%20Caps.htm

Wanted: OURY grip jersey patch

****  Friends don't let friends ride Moosegoose's ****

#13 2010-04-28 4:51pm

BmxThrowback

Thanks for the replies everybody. So I heard back from Colored Tuffs and I'm told that they are pretty much similar in weight and that the main difference is the flexibility; being, the graphites are a lot stiffer than the non-graphites...which is what everybody said...thanks again for the responses.

#14 2010-04-28 8:06pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict
Bikes: 7

That ^^.  They were the same weight, with more graphite strands mixed in the composite, to make them MUCH more stiff in the lateral plane...mostly because of the complaints of lateral runout during racing.

The very first gens (with the gold, rounded flanges) were Campagnolo hub parts.  The second gens...with the more angular, square flanges, were NOT Campagnolo hub parts, but were still gold to differentiate between the regulars.  There were some supply issues, along with pricing arguments with Campagnolo, which hastened the move away from the Campy parts in the hubs.

They only came in black because the graphite precluded them from being any other color.  This sparked some controversy with the Peregrine Graphite Pro wheels of the day, because they could not have had much (if any) graphite mixed in the Zytel (nylon), otherwise, they would have been un-colorable.

I believe Peregrine was sued to remove the "graphite" moniker from their wheelsets.

Either way...IIRC, they were still like racing with windmills between yer frame and fork and were not the optimal race setup.  Spoked wheels had a better aerodynamic profile and were MUCH lighter before the use of double and triple wall rims on spoked wheels.

Personally, I quit using tuffs (both versions) as soon as the Peregrine 48 wheel changed the face of freestyle. 

AJ

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.

Enough radiation was released to create seventeen Hulks and a Spiderman.

#15 2010-04-28 8:08pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

But, even though I don't own a set, I still love 'em...in fact, Ed...I wore my Skyway Recreation T to work today!

AJ

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

#16 2010-04-28 8:23pm

coloredtuffs
Pro MemberPlanetBMX
Bikes: 32
Website

mcseforsale wrote:

But, even though I don't own a set, I still love 'em...in fact, Ed...I wore my Skyway Recreation T to work today!

AJ

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL... Awesome.......!

-Ed Ferri / PlanetBMX.com
Authorized dealer for: Haro, SE Racing, Skyway, Subrosa, MCS, Sunday, Cult, Stranger, Premium & Fairdale Bicycles, and Odyssey, Demolition, Shadow Conspiracy, Primo, Premium, Redline, Profile, Cult, Proper, Colony, Answer BMX parts and accessories!
We'll match or beat any other bike shop's price!

#17 2010-04-28 8:38pm

jimib
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16
Website

mcseforsale wrote:

That ^^.  They were the same weight, with more graphite strands mixed in the composite, to make them MUCH more stiff in the lateral plane...mostly because of the complaints of lateral runout during racing.

The very first gens (with the gold, rounded flanges) were Campagnolo hub parts.  The second gens...with the more angular, square flanges, were NOT Campagnolo hub parts, but were still gold to differentiate between the regulars.  There were some supply issues, along with pricing arguments with Campagnolo, which hastened the move away from the Campy parts in the hubs.

They only came in black because the graphite precluded them from being any other color.  This sparked some controversy with the Peregrine Graphite Pro wheels of the day, because they could not have had much (if any) graphite mixed in the Zytel (nylon), otherwise, they would have been un-colorable.

I believe Peregrine was sued to remove the "graphite" moniker from their wheelsets.

Either way...IIRC, they were still like racing with windmills between yer frame and fork and were not the optimal race setup.  Spoked wheels had a better aerodynamic profile and were MUCH lighter before the use of double and triple wall rims on spoked wheels.

Personally, I quit using tuffs (both versions) as soon as the Peregrine 48 wheel changed the face of freestyle. 

AJ

+1  I have a set of 2nd gens and they are sweet (looking), but i realized at the end of the day if your concerned about weight than there not even an option. Spokes are the way to go in my opinion, but they do look cool. Is there any pro's running mags these days (race or freestyle)?

"Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills all it's pupils"
"BMX Mausoleum, where old bikes go to die and have their picture taken" Hector Dangus

#18 2010-04-28 8:42pm

mcseforsale
Museum Addict

The second gen's weren't sealed either, were they?

AJ

jimib wrote:

+1  I have a set of 2nd gens and they are sweet (looking), but i realized at the end of the day if your concerned about weight than there not even an option. Spokes are the way to go in my opinion, but they do look cool. Is there any pro's running mags these days (race or freestyle)?

#19 2010-04-28 9:57pm

jimib
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16
Website

mcseforsale wrote:

The second gen's weren't sealed either, were they?

AJ

jimib wrote:

I have had three sets of second gens and all three were sealed. I remember the first set I had. I saved up money mowing grass to get them. That was a lot of money back then. Well, being a stupid 14 year old, me and my buddies decided to go lake jumping. I learned that day that sealed doesn't mean from being submerged repeatedly in a lake all day. My dad had to get some new bearings and press the old out and the new in. lol

"Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills all it's pupils"
"BMX Mausoleum, where old bikes go to die and have their picture taken" Hector Dangus

#20 2010-04-30 8:25am

BmxThrowback

jimib wrote:

Graphites heavier than, say, a 36 hole araya/suzue setup?..Well that's good to know, thanks. For some reason I thought graphites would be pretty much the same weight. Now it's back to the lab (john/bedroom) to do some thinking..

#21 2010-04-30 8:52am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

if you want lite wheels go pro class with alloy niples an double butted spokes. still hard to beat.

#22 2010-04-30 11:11pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

who cares they both suck yikes did i say that outloud lol

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#23 2010-05-02 12:41am

otten1949

Long Live Tuff Wheels!!!

#24 2010-05-02 2:01am

dpercival
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Graphite Tuff Wheels are lighter and CONSIDERABLY stiffer than the regular nylon Tuff Wheels- there's really no comparison in performance, and 20 years ago when Skyway wheels were being used they carried a price tag of over $300.  Graphite Tuffs are AMAZING, and a completely different feeling street riding.

Taken From the 2 Hip website:  http://www.2hip.com/pork_anniv.html  Thanks Ron Wilkerson  cool

Last edited by dpercival (2010-05-02 2:03am)

Alpha Company, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard Of The Army) Veteran.

#25 2010-05-02 10:28am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

that looks a very nice bike i might go for one my self.  but what is with that seat.   graphites are lighter i remember them being lighter , i was begining to question my own memory of them. $300 at the time was about £210 and thats before you import them, and standerd tuff cost about £45 to £50 a pair back then imported. so at least 5x the price of standerd tuffs. i might be wrong on this but i vagely rember there being a special edition or something haveing real gold plated hubs. it might just have been some pros or something doing them there selfs. can any sky way experts shed some light on this.

Board footer