You are not logged in.

RL Forklifter bar resto question! Need advice please

#1 2010-04-08 4:14pm

Backinthedaybmx

RL Forklifter bar resto question! Need advice please

1::  Anyone have a rough Idea how much it would cost to blast these and re-chrome?
2:: Was there another OG color true to these bars besides chrome?
3:: Will Blasting these Cause any damage to the Stamps on the Numberplate brackets or Bottom ends?

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz4/backinthedaybmx/DCAM0125.jpg

Excited about my Lil' girls racing debut this summer
Just like the good ol' days except I'm the dad!!!

#2 2010-04-08 5:24pm

STOLEN85TRICKSTAR
Museum Addict

Re: RL Forklifter bar resto question! Need advice please

Blasting chrome bars destroys everything you asked about including the structural integrity. Take them to a chromer and ask what they will charge to do them right. Don't destroy a set of bars cause your neighbor has a sand blaster and a bucket of play sand.

D34l4life

#3 2010-04-21 10:04pm

the real radical
Late To The Show!
Bikes: 8
Website

sandblasting will not hurt the structural integrity. I have my chrome parts sandblasted all the time my chrome plated profiles were stripped by the powdercoater with sandblasting then powdered white(or in your case youre chrome dipping after)and they are great race'em twice a week. I dont understand why someone would say sandblasting will hurt the structural integrity. If you keep blasting the same spot foreverthough,(ie. your stamp) it will start to smooth. Anyone with half a brain can do it if they're paying attention and taking they're time as they go.

Stayin' alive

#4 2010-04-22 8:48am

hirk
Intermediate
Bikes: 4
Website

"the real"radical rick wrote:

sandblasting will not hurt the structural integrity. I have my chrome parts sandblasted all the time my chrome plated profiles were stripped by the powdercoater with sandblasting then powdered white(or in your case youre chrome dipping after)and they are great race'em twice a week. I dont understand why someone would say sandblasting will hurt the structural integrity. If you keep blasting the same spot foreverthough,(ie. your stamp) it will start to smooth. Anyone with half a brain can do it if they're paying attention and taking they're time as they go.

+1

Wanted: SE Quad freestyler & standing gear, Grey Peregrine masters... The list is getting shorter!
Member of Guys BMX freestyle team 1984-85 Bensalem PA. Member or Charlie's bikes freestyle team 1985-87 Levittown PA. #2 in AFA freestyle overall flatland and ramp for the year 1987.
[img]http://gallery.me.com/hirkophoto/100476/bmx-20ikon-202/web.jpg?ver=12665351620001[/img]

#5 2010-04-22 9:16am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

i,ve had 4 or 5 forklifter bars and only ever seen chrome as far as i can remember. the freestyle version would be the most likly to come in coulers but ive never seen that ether!

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

#6 2010-04-22 1:22pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3

cro mo forklifters only came in chrome. the alloy flavors came in ano blue, black and red.

blasting and re-chroming is going to be expensive. anywhere from 75.00 to 225.00.
rechroming them will also effect the stamping and you could loose them if the chromer is not careful.
but they look great in white and go well with the redline color theme of the time. i did my set in
white and they look fantastic.

Last edited by Draw (2010-04-22 1:22pm)

Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

#7 2010-04-23 10:09am

daskapiyal73
Bikes: 9

I've a set on my Black Zeronine, (here in the museum), they were "white" brand new from the shop with No. plate back in late 80's. I had them blasted a powdered black and can still see the redline print on plate tabs.

"Never eat anything bigger than your head"

#8 2010-04-23 6:33pm

Backinthedaybmx

Thanks for all the info and examples

Excited about my Lil' girls racing debut this summer
Just like the good ol' days except I'm the dad!!!

#9 2010-04-23 8:28pm

smax
Pro Member

The freestyle forklifter bars def came in many colors - turquoise, radberry, hazard yellow, white, black, cali-red, mango, blue, kiwi and of course chrome.

According to the 86 catalog, the race version (straight crossbar) was also available in colors.   However, i have never seen an OG set in anything except chrome and white.

Last edited by smax (2010-04-23 8:35pm)

Board footer