You are not logged in.

Lets see your GT's!

#626 2020-10-24 5:11pm

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

johnny5 wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

My 87 that I got when I was 13. Sold it. Got it back a CPL months ago. Before and after shot.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 1ff1ac.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 1ff9a4.jpg

That blue looks really correct.  A lot of the powder jobs out there don't really look like the right tone.

I refinished it myself. It's not powder. I mixed up some maui blue and did my thing. Turned out better than I had hoped. One day I'll put it together again. Haven't ridden this frame in 21 years.


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#627 2020-10-24 6:26pm

Hussler
For Sale Restricted
Registered: 2019-02-27
Posts: 1694
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

ConcreteTrash wrote:

johnny5 wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

My 87 that I got when I was 13. Sold it. Got it back a CPL months ago. Before and after shot.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 1ff1ac.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 1ff9a4.jpg

That blue looks really correct.  A lot of the powder jobs out there don't really look like the right tone.

I refinished it myself. It's not powder. I mixed up some maui blue and did my thing. Turned out better than I had hoped. One day I'll put it together again. Haven't ridden this frame in 21 years.

It really does look like a sweet looking blue!

Offline

 

#628 2020-10-24 6:49pm

Scotty2toes
Pro Member
From: Nillinois
Registered: 2015-11-14
Posts: 3022
Bikes: 16
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Question regarding older models GT's, what was the final color application type, powder or RAL type automotive paint in a spray booth?


Harp, I want to tell you something. I was in this bureau when you were still popping zits on your funny face and jerking off with the lingerie section of the Sears catalog....

Look, John, I'm sorry I'm not sorry, okay? I'm not gonna apologize. I'm a cocksman.

Offline

 

#629 2020-10-24 6:59pm

Dennister
Pro Member
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 116
Bikes: 17
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/201008/5f374601-654d-41ea-9b5a-8930285d771a5f94dbe06d.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/201008/61ec7b0e-5926-4b03-86c3-2f8cde090bce5f94dbe4ab.jpeg

Offline

 

#630 2020-10-24 7:16pm

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Scotty2toes wrote:

Question regarding older models GT's, what was the final color application type, powder or RAL type automotive paint in a spray booth?

I'm no expert. I've heard both. Someone here knows surely.


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#631 2020-10-24 7:17pm

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Hussler wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

johnny5 wrote:


That blue looks really correct.  A lot of the powder jobs out there don't really look like the right tone.

I refinished it myself. It's not powder. I mixed up some maui blue and did my thing. Turned out better than I had hoped. One day I'll put it together again. Haven't ridden this frame in 21 years.

It really does look like a sweet looking blue!

Thanks bro. It's legit maui blue. Even GT's maui blue seemed to vary slightly.


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#632 2020-10-25 5:58am

junkhead71
Pro Member
From: Shelton,CT
Registered: 2017-05-26
Posts: 213
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Scotty2toes wrote:

Question regarding older models GT's, what was the final color application type, powder or RAL type automotive paint in a spray booth?

The older GT`s 84-90 were in fact powde coated. I know thru these years only, its pretty easy to tell once you been around powdered stuff. HOWEVER, the specialty stuff or team riders or prototype stuff could`ve had paint . To test the color or so & so wanted this or that. I don`t know for sure.  The big reason why the dam GT seat posts get stuck on colored bikes. the frames weren`t cleaned good at all -surface rust ,flash rust ,etc & they poedered over them . then they rust from behind the coat & it expands into the seat mast.

Offline

 

#633 2020-10-25 7:38am

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

junkhead71 wrote:

Scotty2toes wrote:

Question regarding older models GT's, what was the final color application type, powder or RAL type automotive paint in a spray booth?

The older GT`s 84-90 were in fact powde coated. I know thru these years only, its pretty easy to tell once you been around powdered stuff. HOWEVER, the specialty stuff or team riders or prototype stuff could`ve had paint . To test the color or so & so wanted this or that. I don`t know for sure.  The big reason why the dam GT seat posts get stuck on colored bikes. the frames weren`t cleaned good at all -surface rust ,flash rust ,etc & they poedered over them . then they rust from behind the coat & it expands into the seat mast.

I can attest to this as the post in my 87 above was one STUCK MF!


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#634 2020-10-25 9:20am

johnny5
Pro MemberBig Pimpin Since...
From: Orange County
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 1229
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/33402/20200916_2215135f95a57684.jpg
Changing my 1990 PFT to blue with white.  Sending some ukai 7c hoops, tech 7s and superlace hubs to get powdered bery soon.

Offline

 

#635 2020-10-25 9:57am

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

johnny5 wrote:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … a57684.jpg
Changing my 1990 PFT to blue with white.  Sending some ukai 7c hoops, tech 7s and superlace hubs to get powdered bery soon.

Very cool


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#636 2020-10-25 10:13am

johnny5
Pro MemberBig Pimpin Since...
From: Orange County
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 1229
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

I can't get some yellowing off the seat.  It is a super clean seat with little to no rash with good logos.  Tried solon 45 and UV but it didn't work.  Any ideas before I sell it in place of another?

Offline

 

#637 2020-10-25 10:21am

Atrains89
Pro Member
From: Joisey - New
Registered: 2018-10-13
Posts: 1260
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 6
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

ConcreteTrash wrote:

Scotty2toes wrote:

Question regarding older models GT's, what was the final color application type, powder or RAL type automotive paint in a spray booth?

I'm no expert. I've heard both. Someone here knows surely.

Highly controversial subject.

If you listen to Gary Turner here at the 2:00 mark he clearly states: electrostatic epoxy powder coat. Then they show you the frames being powder coated. End of discussion right? Not exactly.

https://youtu.be/aGwwRErAazs

From what I was told the majority of the bikes were painted with liquid but they were from the orient only. So anything made from 1984 and up basically made overseas. The bikes and frame sets made in the US were powder coated. This has been confirmed by C4’s Chip in discussions and from people who worked at GT BITD.

However it may go Gary does mention in another video that the bikes were originally “painted” by what I think he says as “Aquarium” in Orange County CA. I could not find info on this business  when I googled it. So it’s obvious that the original bikes were liquid paint until it got environmentally strict. The epoxy powder coat definitely showed up on the Dayglo colors. Starting with a base white and then the top overcoat. Even on the electric blue from 1988-1989 this was powdered white prior to the blue.

See below at the 7:18 mark.

https://youtu.be/Yucwe_TPs1E

You believe whatever you want and at the end of the day does it matter?

Ride on!


I don’t care what you say....Day Glo pink is for men!

Offline

 

#638 2020-10-25 10:44am

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFranksta!
From: The water
Registered: 2019-06-16
Posts: 1934
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

I always paint when I refinish a bike. All of my colored bikes are paint. Like above, does it matter? Nah. Not one bit.


Life outside the zoo will absolutely not be tolerated! Conform or be cast out.

Offline

 

#639 2020-10-25 12:48pm

NR1
Pro Member
From: East Coast
Registered: 2011-11-08
Posts: 175
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Not mine, but for sale on local Craigslist.
Fresh out of the tub and ready to rock!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/78499/6f7c1f2a-f8a6-4e2c-9579-7cd13826322b5f95d651d1.jpeg

Offline

 

#640 2020-10-25 1:08pm

bigmaaark
Pro Member
From: RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Registered: 2020-04-14
Posts: 155
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

NR1 wrote:

Not mine, but for sale on local Craigslist.
Fresh out of the tub and ready to rock!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 651d1.jpeg

lol

scrub a dub dub


WTB Auburn cruiser/Gary Turner 2 piece f/f. Money ready! PM ME

Offline

 

#641 2020-10-25 1:18pm

Scotty2toes
Pro Member
From: Nillinois
Registered: 2015-11-14
Posts: 3022
Bikes: 16
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

bigmaaark wrote:

NR1 wrote:

Not mine, but for sale on local Craigslist.
Fresh out of the tub and ready to rock!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 651d1.jpeg

lol

scrub a dub dub

Mark, everytime I see your location I think of this....



LOL. Chokeamongas....

Last edited by Scotty2toes (2020-10-25 1:19pm)


Harp, I want to tell you something. I was in this bureau when you were still popping zits on your funny face and jerking off with the lingerie section of the Sears catalog....

Look, John, I'm sorry I'm not sorry, okay? I'm not gonna apologize. I'm a cocksman.

Offline

 

#642 2020-10-25 1:42pm

bigmaaark
Pro Member
From: RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Registered: 2020-04-14
Posts: 155
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Scotty2toes wrote:

bigmaaark wrote:

NR1 wrote:

Not mine, but for sale on local Craigslist.
Fresh out of the tub and ready to rock!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 651d1.jpeg

lol

scrub a dub dub

Mark, everytime I see your location I think of this....



LOL. Chokeamongas....

lol they didnt even film it there! at least you know where it is now because of this movie lol and yes it is a real place

Last edited by bigmaaark (2020-10-25 1:43pm)


WTB Auburn cruiser/Gary Turner 2 piece f/f. Money ready! PM ME

Offline

 

#643 2020-10-25 3:01pm

Scotty2toes
Pro Member
From: Nillinois
Registered: 2015-11-14
Posts: 3022
Bikes: 16
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

bigmaaark wrote:

Scotty2toes wrote:

bigmaaark wrote:

lol

scrub a dub dub

Mark, everytime I see your location I think of this....



LOL. Chokeamongas....

lol they didnt even film it there! at least you know where it is now because of this movie lol and yes it is a real place

I knew it was, that shit is hilarious....

Last edited by Scotty2toes (2020-10-25 3:01pm)


Harp, I want to tell you something. I was in this bureau when you were still popping zits on your funny face and jerking off with the lingerie section of the Sears catalog....

Look, John, I'm sorry I'm not sorry, okay? I'm not gonna apologize. I'm a cocksman.

Offline

 

#644 2020-10-25 4:03pm

johnny5
Pro MemberBig Pimpin Since...
From: Orange County
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 1229
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Lets see your GT's!

Scotty2toes wrote:

bigmaaark wrote:

Scotty2toes wrote:


Mark, everytime I see your location I think of this....



LOL. Chokeamongas....

lol they didnt even film it there! at least you know where it is now because of this movie lol and yes it is a real place

I knew it was, that shit is hilarious....

Ranchchimichanga!

Offline

 

Board footer