You are not logged in.

NAME this FRAME & WIN a PRIZE- seriously, its driving me nuts  RSS Feed

#1 2009-12-03 9:29am

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted
Bikes: 3

NAME this FRAME & WIN a PRIZE- seriously, its driving me nuts

*****NEWEST UPDATE 03/25/10 -  i think i just solved the mystery . looks like a rocket to me . check the last coupl enew post on the end of the thread to see what i mean  big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile *********

***UPDATED  2/14/10 SUNDAY .  THIS THING IS STILL NOT IDENTIFIED AND MY OFFER STILL STANDS. .... .
ALSO , CHECK OUT THIS LINK ...TO A 97 QUICKSILVER . IT DOES HAVE SOME SIMILARITY TO MY FRAME . ESPECIALLY THE WELDING AND CRAFTSMANSHIP . LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE BY THE SAME GUY .  AND , EVEN THOUGH there are a lot of differences , the essential design is the same making me wonder if they could be related... *******C'MON GUYS , THIS THING HAS HAD HUNDREDS OF VIEWS , AND IS POSTED HERE , OZBMX AND OTHER SITES AND WE STILL CANT I.D. IT ....!!!!  DONT LET THIS BITCH BEAT US ,,ITS GOTTA HAVE A NAME lollol ANYONE WITH ANY INFO. ON MIDSCHOOL QUICKSILVER BIKES PLEASE HIT ME UP ...THANKS   

LINK to papawheelies sale thread with the 97 quicksilver frame- screw it , heres the pic instead big_smile
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/bakerst952/quicksilver001.jpg

*********************************************************************************************
heres the deal , i picked this frame up off some kid last week , he tried to sell it as an S&M . it is not . the closest thing i can find to it is a powerlite , but it has a weird brake cable guide bridge , and no P symbol stamped anywhere .  heres the specs . aluminum frame ,  1" threaded headset , set up for both types of brakes , linear and old style calipers .  american BB , 21" top tube .  the frame is light as hell . i figure the trick to identifying this frame is going to come from the unusual brake cable guide . its like a bridge instead of a little arm sticking up like most i have seen.  paint appears to be original.
SERIOUSLY people , this thing is driving me nuts. its the first frame i have not been able to get I.D.'ed .
there is a serial # on the outside of the right rear drop  # 60575688 . something else i noticed about this frame is the axle slots in the rear drops are flared a little at the beginning . the top of the cut for the slot angles up a few degrees at the very end. kinda odd. the welds on this look like it was done by hand , not on a assembly line.

if you can I.D. this thing ill give you this set of redline hubs . if you dont need these im sure i can find something youll need. ***ALSO ADDED THIS TO THE REWARD****
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/miscbmx010.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/forsale2/9-21-09047.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/forsale2/9-21-09050.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/decosterandunknownALframe017.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/decosterandunknownALframe018.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/decosterandunknownALframe019.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/decosterandunknownALframe020.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/kbaldridge01/misc/decosterandunknownALframe021.jpg

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2010-02-16 2:53pm)

#2 2009-12-03 9:35am

maximum85
!!!The Sales Man!!! "1000 CLUB"
Bikes: 2

Re: NAME this FRAME & WIN a PRIZE- seriously, its driving me nuts

powerlite??

#3 2009-12-03 9:37am

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

dont ask me... i have no idea lollol  i guess i should say thats part of the game , i have to verify it is what you say it is . the drops are very powerlite looking , and the gussets at the headtube look powerlite as well , but the serials dont work with what i know of p-lites , theres no "p" symbol stamped anywhere , and i cant find any powerlites with that brake cable bridge .

seriously though , wild guesses , informed guess, useful comments , feel free to chime in guys . its all free publicicty , someone out there knows what this thing is big_smile

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2009-12-03 9:39am)

#4 2009-12-03 9:39am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

Ya those are powerlite drops for sure

I love dead people....

#5 2009-12-03 9:40am

freedo
Pro MemberWhite Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 3

i still think schwinn

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

#6 2009-12-03 9:44am

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

yeah , but most schwinns have the epicenter stays on them , this doesnt .  i been wondering if it could be some smaller company . or maybe it was built in the same factory the powerlites were or something . or maybe its just a different powerlite that isnt in the museum yet .

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2009-12-03 9:46am)

#7 2009-12-03 9:46am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

Looks a LOT like this tho http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/powerlite/10052

I love dead people....

#8 2009-12-03 9:48am

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

yeah , see what i mean . its so close to a powerlite its not even funny . some fundamental differences though , the cable guide, the extra brake bridge, the lower gusset between the stays , and mines a 1" threaded set up . driving me nuts , i hate not knowing what something is big_smile  i can say this though , it is one sweeta$$ frame for sure .

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2009-12-03 9:50am)

#9 2009-12-03 9:50am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner

THe only difference is the brake bridge basically

I love dead people....

#10 2009-12-03 9:51am

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

yeah , but not one single powerlite anywhere has a cable guide like that , or dual brake setups that i can find . plus it has no powerlite stamp , i have never seen one without it .

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2009-12-03 9:52am)

#11 2009-12-03 11:12am

maximum85
!!!The Sales Man!!! "1000 CLUB"
Bikes: 2

my 96 robinson has 2 brake mounts and the cable guide(different on mine).they were all under the gt name then and all had the same likeness.
also,i had a 99 robinson aluminumwith NO  R anywhere,just the serial #

Last edited by maximum85 (2009-12-03 11:14am)

#12 2009-12-03 11:46am

fewcm
Intermediate

Sparky, cause it looks warm and perky!! What? lol smile

#13 2009-12-03 11:47am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

rad products out of AZ made somthing like that in 91/92 will  try to find a pic of it

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#14 2009-12-03 11:52am

Fatboy
"He's just Big Boned"
Bikes: 87
Website

Yeah, that is a powerlite.  Somebody changed the brake bridge, that's why the welds look rough.  And there is a P somewhere under the yellow paint.

Are you sure about that top tube length?  I'd say this was a 97 P47 Junior,  but too long to be. 

If that measure is right, it is a 1994-1996 P-61.  The thing is, that bike would have always been 1 1/8".
It is possible somebody just rigged it to use the fork they had? It's easy to use 1" on newe frames.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/powerlite/14897

How does one get those nice black hubs???

Stuff I want: 2000 24" DB Reactor Team frame ,  Voxom and Enigma stuff. Alliant / Radix stem and stuff.  JW and Stiffys stuff.  Cool late mid-school cruiser parts.

#15 2009-12-03 11:54am

That70'sGuy
Bible Thumper
Bikes: 25
Website

I am the owl... wrote:

Ya those are powerlite drops for sure

x100,00,00,000

1 847 249 5670 shop ask for von never on thursday
playatyourownrisk360@yahoo.com  bmxpert on duty.....
thats 1400 , leading to the safe return of the collection .....
210 264 8937
no law involved , just me my dad and 1400 in cash and you pointing a finger saying its in there [/b]

#16 2009-12-03 1:03pm

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

tpaguy71 wrote:

Yeah, that is a powerlite.  Somebody changed the brake bridge, that's why the welds look rough.  And there is a P somewhere under the yellow paint.

Are you sure about that top tube length?  I'd say this was a 97 P47 Junior,  but too long to be. 

If that measure is right, it is a 1994-1996 P-61.  The thing is, that bike would have always been 1 1/8".
It is possible somebody just rigged it to use the fork they had? It's easy to use 1" on newe frames.

well , im holding it in my hands and i can tell you for a fact that the welds on that bridge are identical to the rest of the welds. also , im real sure there is no p hiding under the yellow paint , have looked real close for indentations, also , i dont see how someone could put i ton thick enough to cover up the p but leave the serial number in the same area completely legible.  the bike is a 1" threaded headtube setup , not adapted or altered. also , powerlite does not have the same brake setup , you can run both types on this.  and to answer your last question , the way to get those hubs is to name the frame  big_smile not convince me its a powerlite . dont get me wrong , i would love for it to be a powerlite , i myself looked for reaons to call it one , but i really think it is not . unless its a factory one off or something .

#17 2009-12-03 1:06pm

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

oh , and on the top tube measurement , i have been a professional carpenter frame/trim  specializing in custom stain grade stairs for 20 years , so yup . im 100% on the measurement lol

#18 2009-12-03 1:08pm

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

rad products out of AZ made somthing like that in 91/92 will  try to find a pic of it

interesting , i will try to dig up something on that as well . that is my thinking at this point , smaller lesser known company , probably early 90's trying to be innovative .

#19 2009-12-03 1:33pm

andy_116
Intermediate
Bikes: 6

#20 2009-12-03 1:35pm

JTBMX
"FLEA MARKET OS WHORE"

andy_116 wrote:

its a diamond back viper mate http://yellowbmx.com/KidsBikeDiamondbac … Wheels.jpg

Thats not it

#21 2009-12-03 1:36pm

andy_116
Intermediate
Bikes: 6

its an older one than that model, cant find pic, pritty sure tho

#22 2009-12-03 1:46pm

BillyBad
The Rat King
Bikes: 38
Website

Bondo would wipe out the "P" and can do wonders on welds to make them looke "Nice". this seriously looks like what ya got there. Dont ID it, build it and ride it, chances are that will be the best use of this flyboy!

pitbaldridge wrote:

tpaguy71 wrote:

well , im holding it in my hands and i can tell you for a fact that the welds on that bridge are identical to the rest of the welds. also , im real sure there is no p hiding under the yellow paint , have looked real close for indentations, also , i dont see how someone could put i ton thick enough to cover up the p but leave the serial number in the same area completely legible.  the bike is a 1" threaded headtube setup , not adapted or altered. also , powerlite does not have the same brake setup , you can run both types on this.  and to answer your last question , the way to get those hubs is to name the frame  big_smile not convince me its a powerlite . dont get me wrong , i would love for it to be a powerlite , i myself looked for reaons to call it one , but i really think it is not . unless its a factory one off or something .

[img]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/billybadbmx/header.jpg[/img]
Your not Bad unless your BILLYBAD! If its not a Rat, Its not a Rod!

#23 2009-12-03 1:48pm

Fatboy
"He's just Big Boned"
Bikes: 87
Website

I think you are right about the one-off thing.  Either it was a proto they were playing around with or someone was trying to copy them.
But the way they reinforce the top and bottome tubes at the head tube is Very uniquely Powerlite.   Of course, the rear dropouts are P-lite as well -but the Lack of a logo is strange.  They did use that yellow color too -but I didn't figure that was original.  I've NEVER seen that kind of mid school canti brake bridge before -looks real custom to me.

P-lite made a mid range aluminum bike for a while called a Ditch -you don't see many around. (yeah they made chromoly ones too)  I don't know if they made them in that time frame either -would still have to be 94 to 96.  That chain stay gusset is bugging me too -that doesn't look P-lite at all.  You got a really unique bike there.

Last edited by tpaguy71 (2009-12-03 1:52pm)

Stuff I want: 2000 24" DB Reactor Team frame ,  Voxom and Enigma stuff. Alliant / Radix stem and stuff.  JW and Stiffys stuff.  Cool late mid-school cruiser parts.

#24 2009-12-03 2:46pm

pitbaldridge
For Sale Restricted

Bondo would wipe out the "P" and can do wonders on welds to make them looke "Nice". this seriously looks like what ya got there. Dont ID it, build it and ride it, chances are that will be the best use of this flyboy!

please explain to me exactly how you "bondo" a weld to clean it up ? by the way , my dad has owned a mopar restoration shop since i was born , and i grew up going to every mopar, hot rod, street rod nats, hershey show, carlisle , so im pretty familiar with metal work , resto and alterations. im by no means a resto guy , but i have sen enough work over the years to say pretty confidently this is all original and was welded up a tthe same time , and no , i will bet my left nut there is no p hiding under some bondo on that drop. as far as building it and riding it , thats a great idea for someone ( its for sale ) but its also a rare frame and should be identified and added to the museum . not I.D.ing your stuff doesnt make any sense to me . what if i end up having a rare one off from powerlite built specifically for a factory rider , or what if its from a small company that only turned out a few frames back in the day ? you never know untill you find out.  and to be honest , i learn more by identifying and tracking down the history of some of the stuff i come across that from anything else. i had never heard of malvern stars untill i saw one in a guys barn and drug it home. now i know quite a bit about them and am learning more every day as i resto-mod it . identifying what you have is extremely important in my opinion .

Last edited by pitbaldridge (2009-12-03 2:49pm)

#25 2009-12-03 2:54pm

badmofo
Museum Addict
Bikes: 16
Website

Looks like an LJ2009 to me  hmm

LJ = Lake Jumper   lol  lol

Last edited by badmofo (2009-12-03 2:55pm)

Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ezekiel 25:17 ~ "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men....."

Board footer

View Cart →