You are not logged in.

1979 SE Racing STR-1 Prototype  RSS Feed

#51 2013-01-23 10:59pm

Bmxbooger
Pro Member
Bikes: 20

Re: 1979 SE Racing STR-1 Prototype

Sweet Jesus!tongue

Always looking for Cook Bros. stuff, vintage SE stuff,  MCS 6 bolt Super stems,  and Race Inc. Leading Edge/Cycle Pro/BMX innovations 20" forks.  All NOS or in very nice condition.

#52 2013-02-01 2:50pm

skid196940
Banned

Because he owns the site and can do it I guess.More like a do as I say,Not as I do kinda thing.How much would an STR 1 actually go for price wise??Curious thats all.Thanks !

Looking for GT Stamped profile cranks and a twin top tube cruiser !!!

#53 2013-02-22 7:48am

MuyRapidoBMX
Pro Member
Website

skid196940 wrote:

Because he owns the site and can do it I guess.More like a do as I say,Not as I do kinda thing.How much would an STR 1 actually go for price wise??Curious thats all.Thanks !

I was wondering what it went fer too

Last edited by MuyRapidoBMX (2013-02-22 7:50am)

Looking for anything Gary Littlejohn, Especially 26" forks, and 26" Laguna Forks.

#54 2013-03-27 6:36pm

mdbmx
Museum Newbie

awesome frame!

#55 2013-03-27 7:34pm

ncmalko1
Pro Member
Bikes: 15

Id guess $10,000+

Let's go Philadelpha Eagles!

#56 2013-08-29 5:36am

madizm
Pro Member"Its a TUFF life..."
Bikes: 34

beautiful! cool

Giving bitches stitches since 1979

#57 2014-02-03 10:05am

tommitom
Centurion Member
Bikes: 17

could be the holy grail...

Luv thow neighbor, but use protection!

#58 2014-03-13 10:12pm

96cljjlc96
Centurion Member

Keep it, cherish it,very rare.

#59 2014-07-03 10:30pm

Roodillon
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Hello, I just joined this site so I could reply to this thread. I can shed a lot of light on the STR-1 story. I once told the story on a different vintage BMX site and nobody believed me. But I have no reason to lie. I do not have the bicycle and have not had it or seen for over thirty years. So you will have to trust me. Again, there is no reason for me to make this up, or be mistaken about what I once had (as they said on that other site.) So if you want to know the truth about the FIRST STR-1 EVER MADE sit back and transport yourself back in time to your youth.  I am, and I hope you enjoy my story as much as I am enjoying telling it to you (and I'll get to the heart of the matter OK?)

But first, though, my credentials. I grew up in Miami, Florida. I used to race there as a teenager. I was part of Bob Broadley's Moped South team. I raced at Hialeah, Homestead, Ives, Gainesville and some others, but my main track was Boys Town of Kendall, run mostly by Bill Green, owner of A Place For Wheels there in Kendall (officially called unincorporated Dade county at the time.)  We were NPBA and I had a low two digit number plate. I owned probably twenty bikes in about five years. My favorite was my MCS Magnum with MCS forks, chrome and blue, with all sorts of parts that would raise a fortune today. Blue Shimano sealed hubs, blue sealed bottom bracket and headset, Kingsbury, then KKT pedals, Cook Bros stem and seatpost, V-bars, Haro Handles and number plate, a blue Kashimax seat, chrome chain, gumwall tires, blue Dura Ace cranks, etc. etc. And for whatever reason that MCS Magnum made me much faster than when I was on any other bike. I cannot recall all of the bikes that I had, but some that come to mind are a Cook Bros. with the small bottom bracket, a Thruster Jamie Burrows, a Robinson that was super light but not fast (for me,) a 2nd generation Redline (the one after the squareback) a few Mongoose and Team Mongoose (another first - my Team Mongoose was the VERY FIRST bike in South Florida with alloys, three piece cranks (Maxy) and caliper brakes with alloy everything etc. It was much lighter than any bike I had ever picked up. Everyone then had coaster brakes and Tuff 1's or Motomags or "flower" rims. I did not even know that such a bike existed, nor did any of my friends. I was getting a new bike for my birthday and when I walked into Moped South to pick one out and saw that first "modern" BMX bike that they had just built, and owner Bob told me about how it was a modern racer and soon everyone would have one, I went apes*** and had to have it. And I did. It was red. I think it cost around $200, which was a lot at the time. Everyone was convinced that the alloys would fold, but of course they did not (I cannot say the same for the fluted alloy handlebars LOL!)  At every track I took it to everybody went nuts over it. Within six months all of my friends had one, after they saw and rode mine and saw how the alloys and three piece cranks held up. And I recall one other specific bike, which we will get to, I promise!

As for racing, my biggest claim to fame is that I once beat Seth Buccieri. Holeshotted him and took it home. I also holeshot Tim Judge at Ives one time, but I ended up going over its notorious first berm and broke my arm in several places. However I rode across the finish line, in shock, to a standing ovation. Then a paramedic made me a splint out of magazines and tape and I stayed for the rest of the day and we went to the hospital on the way home and had my arm and wrist reset. Man, that HURT but it was no big deal. Everyone at school signed my cast the next day. Oh, to be young and invincible again!

And now for the part you have all been waiting for. I hope that you read the rest! It should make for interesting reading. But I know that you want to know about that first STR-1 so here goes. At the time, when I was a teenager (I cannot recall the exact year,) the Boys Town Kendall track was about the best one in the state. But being as far from California as possible in the USA we were the last to be exposed to anything new. And we practically worshipped the SE Racing team. We read BMX Action magazine every month and dreamed (I remember one of the writers was called Buff.) Anyway somehow we got the SE Racing team to come down for a weekend. I think that Bill Green, who sold a lot of SE stuff, managed to get them to come. I believe SE Racing was from California, right? We were all psyched. Stu Thompson was even coming! I actually raced him (I lost.) But SE was there to promote their products and show us what the cutting edge of BMX was. I think the actual racing was secondary for them. They also did some trick riding demonstrations and jumps. But they did race. I don't think they were NPBA though, and if so it didn't count. We didn't care. So the SE Racing team had a couple of big tents and vans full of bikes and parts. Now, usually whenever the racing was over Bill Green used to let us hang bikes and parts up on the tower so we could sell them, and he would announce them. But on that day he announced that SE had a bunch of bikes and parts for sale. I went over to the SE tents with my friends to check them out. They had bikes and parts. A lot of them. There were several frames. So we were looking at the frames and there was a dark blue one with no stickers or anything on it that looked insane! We asked about it and Stu Thompson himself came over to tell us what it was.  He told us that SE was working with him to create a Stu Thompson model bike called an STR-1 (Stu Thompson Replica-1) and that the dark blue one was the first prototype and was made completely out of mild steel. He said that they made three or four of them so far and that this one was the first. My friends and I loved the looks of it but not the mild steel and nobody bought the frame. However Bill Green must have bought up a lot of the unsold stuff because he had it in his shop the next day. And as it happened a couple of days later I came into a few hundred dollars by selling some silver coins. So of course I went to A Place For Wheels to buy parts. I bought a frame, I don't recall what it was, and saw that the STR-1 was up on the rack. I had a few hundred dollars and enough parts at home to make a bike out of a frame, so I purchased the STR-1 on a whim for $60. Number One. I promise you. Stu Thompson himself told me what it was! Straight from the horse's mouth. So I know better than the people at the other vintage BMX site who would not believe me and said I saw a Quad blah blah blah. I was there. I talked to the man himself. I bought and owned it. So f*** them at that other site! Anyway when I got it had no decals or stickers or anything so when I built it with parts like raised alloys with Bullseye hubs and lots more, I got some peel off letters and numbers and put STR-1 on it on both sides. The things that stick in my mind most about it are first that it was long and heavy and second, that when I was building it I found that they had welded the rear dropouts to the OUTER side of the frame and I had to be very creative with shims and washers even to ride it because as delivered it was unrideable for that reason. The chain would scrape the frame to the point where it could not be ridden. But like I said I got creative and made it work. If you look at the picture of the STR-1 here you can see that they moved the dropouts in. Like I said, mine was the first one. They figured out that little problem quickly and moved the dropouts in.

So that is the honest-to-God truth about the very first STR-1. It existed. I owned it. But the funny thing is that I don't remember what happened to it. I -think- that I sold it at the Boys Town track after getting tired of it being so long and heavy. That is almost certainly what happened to it, because that is exactly what I would have done back then. I hung several bikes for sale on that tower over the years so I don't see why that one would be any different. And I have no idea who bought it. It might still be out there somewhere. If you are trying to hunt it down I'd try South Florida first. If you know anyone at SE see if they remember. Show them this post.

Thank you for reading! I hope that you got something out of all that.

PS - I may have a few old photos of the Boys Town track, but almost certainly do not have a picture of the STR-1 (unfortunately.) But if I find any that might be of interest I'll post them.

PPS - I recently picked up a solid CYC Stormer at an estate sale. I have it for sale on -that 4 letter site- but if it does not sell I am going to build it up. And I did NOT come here to push my bike. I'm half hoping that nobody buys it anyway. Go there and search CYC Stormer and there are two for around the same price. Mine is the nicer one!

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

#60 2014-07-03 11:16pm

Roodillon
Pro Member

BTW - although the bike in question in this thread was found in Florida, it is not the one that I had. Mine was blue with no decals and the rear dropouts were closer to the outside of the frame. One question - how do we know that this is an STR-1 and not a Quad? What proves it?  I am not trying to run it down, I am just curious. That's all.  And I know that the iron clad truth of the matter is that when I got my STR-1 #1 NOBODY at SE even mentioned the word quad. It was strictly STR-1. Who would have thought - the one in this thread is called the holy grail but I once had the REAL holy grail - STR-1 Numero Uno.  I sure wish I had it now! I could retire! But regardless of this one, you can rest assured that at least one STR-1 was made. They are not a legend. I think I saw someone here mention something about knowing Seth Buccieri.  He was there. Please ask him if you can! Show him this thread! But the mystery is solved. And I know that, but some people might need even more convincing although that is one heck of a tale that took me an hour to write and I hate typing. I mean, you can't make this stuff up! Everything in my tale can be verified if you can find the right people. Maybe Stu Thompson would remember it. Does anybody know him?

#61 2014-07-03 11:36pm

Roodillon
Pro Member

BTW BTW - I see, it's the downtubes going under the bb that make it an STR-1. Mine most definitely had that. I mean, people would go out of their way to spot it and mention it. It was probably the main point of conversation about my bike. Perhaps this one really is mine, and that after all these years I am not positive of exactly where the rear dropouts were in relation to the frame? Perhaps somebody got it and put SE stickers on it. I mean, two in South Florida and none anywhere else for over thirty years? And SE not even being based in Florida? What are the odds of that? I cannot tell what color this frame is here but it could easily have been repainted. I'll tell you what - if there is any dark blue under the paint on this frame, as the base coat; and if it is made of all mild steel, and when, if you install cranks and a rim that the chain either rubs the frame or is very close to it (depending on the hub) then I would go out on a limb and say that this is my STR-1. I have a good memory but I am not going to know after 35+ years exactly where the dropouts were, to the millimeter, you know? Now I want it back LOL!!!

#62 2014-08-04 2:51pm

Roodillon
Pro Member

Thanks for the info Tex. The possibilities can drive you crazy. But I had one of the three, there is not a shred of doubt in my mind. Even SE wrote to me and said that they believed my tale to be true and the guy who wrote was there the day that the frame was for sale.

#63 2014-08-04 10:25pm

Roodillon
Pro Member

I like mysteries. And I have a strong feeling that it is still in South Florida. A gut feeling. If it is dark blue, mild steel and especially if it still has STR-1 on the downtubes applied with office supply stickers on it then it is positively mine.

#64 2014-12-29 1:43pm

enthuziast
Pro Member
For Sale: 2
Website

Cool thread. Nice saga:cool:

#65 2014-12-29 7:05pm

Roodillon
Pro Member

enthuziast wrote:

Cool thread. Nice saga:cool:

100% true.

#66 2015-02-16 2:21am

boltactionuk
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

History right there

#67 2015-02-16 2:29am

pkripper68bmx
Pro MemberOriginal Finish Only
Bikes: 2

cool

#68 2018-05-17 8:42am

Legendofjd3
Pro MemberWeight Weenie
Bikes: 7

You guys see the new STR coming out? Polished alum. I think I need this in my life big_smile

Titanium

Board footer

View Cart →