You are not logged in.

1980 Mongoose Supergoose

#1 2009-11-09 3:41am

roaster
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-11-07
Posts: 7
Bikes: 3
Offline

1980 Mongoose Supergoose

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_0002_copy24.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_0003_copy23.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/mongoose1_copy17.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/img_6685.jpg

1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Supergoose...

Survivor found in a backyard near where I live.
I cleaned it up and added new pads, grips, seat, tuffs and tyres.


http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Offline

 

#2 2009-11-09 5:47am

cappy227
Museum Addict
From: Long Island, NY
Registered: 2008-09-01
Posts: 2765
Bikes: 24
Website
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Wow - now that's a beautiful clean up job! Well done!


"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Offline

 

#3 2009-11-09 6:46am

Hman
Centurion Member
From: Central Valley, CA
Registered: 2009-02-16
Posts: 191
Bikes: 29
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Beautiful job! Sooo nice.


Hman: a fellow BMXer

Offline

 

#4 2009-11-09 7:06am

mongoosedrummer
Expert
From: Twomey, TN
Registered: 2008-01-02
Posts: 787
Bikes: 13
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Very nice save! smile Would this one possibly be a '79 Nickel Supergoose?


A "Squonk" is like a Mongoose only much harder to find...

Offline

 

#5 2009-11-09 7:21am

flyinhawn
Intermediate
From: Honolulu, HI
Registered: 2008-11-30
Posts: 274
Bikes: 7
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Great score!! and a very nice job on the resto  cool

Offline

 

#6 2009-11-09 1:25pm

Kicks
Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2008-02-16
Posts: 74
Bikes: 13
Website
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

very nice. are you from Australia and is this the one from the real estate pic?

Offline

 

#7 2009-11-09 3:39pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life
From: S. Paterson, NJ
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 7978
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile


Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

Offline

 

#8 2009-12-28 11:16pm

Richh66
Member
From: Granite Bay, CA
Registered: 2008-08-28
Posts: 52
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Very good job!!!


How much for one rib?

Offline

 

#9 2009-12-29 10:01am

music85
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-12-08
Posts: 6
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Here's a question - would a 1980 Supergoose (Chrome) have 3 holes or 1 hole in the back brake plate?

Offline

 

#10 2009-12-29 4:47pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life
From: S. Paterson, NJ
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 7978
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

music85 wrote:

Here's a question - would a 1980 Supergoose (Chrome) have 3 holes or 1 hole in the back brake plate?

Yes sir.big_smilebig_smilebig_smile:DPEACE(MYONE)


Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

Offline

 

#11 2009-12-29 4:51pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life
From: S. Paterson, NJ
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 7978
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

myone wrote:

music85 wrote:

Here's a question - would a 1980 Supergoose (Chrome) have 3 holes or 1 hole in the back brake plate?

Yes sir.big_smilebig_smilebig_smile:DPEACE(MYONE)

It  has 3 holes on brake bridge.big_smile


Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

Offline

 

#12 2009-12-29 5:06pm

johnng23604
U seen my "baseball"
From: CC TX
Registered: 2009-02-22
Posts: 4633
Bikes: 42
Website
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Nice find, too bad I can't find stuff like that in my neighbors backyards!


I'm looking for the following frames, frame & forks or completes by BMX products:
MotoTrac (nickle or chrome), Racer-X or a Super-X (with the double gussets).
Thanks wink
I'm also johnng23604 at "Retro-goose", "VintageBMX" & "RADbmx"

Offline

 

#13 2009-12-29 7:01pm

music85
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-12-08
Posts: 6
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

I read that Supergooses made in 1981 and newer are with the 3 holes. 
2nd - I've seen serveral different pictures 1980 Supergooses with one hole in the bridge plate.
So is it possible that supergooses (chrome) were made with both 1 and 3 holes?

Reason is, I have a 1980 Mongoose and trying to find out if it's a Supergoose are not.

Thanks!

Offline

 

#14 2009-12-31 4:32pm

myone
BMXer 4 Life
From: S. Paterson, NJ
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 7978
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

music85 wrote:

I read that Supergooses made in 1981 and newer are with the 3 holes. 
2nd - I've seen serveral different pictures 1980 Supergooses with one hole in the bridge plate.
So is it possible that supergooses (chrome) were made with both 1 and 3 holes?

Reason is, I have a 1980 Mongoose and trying to find out if it's a Supergoose are not.

Thanks!

If it doesnt have three holes on the brake bridge its not a S.G,


Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

Offline

 

#15 2009-12-31 4:46pm

jjvh66
Museum Addict
From: Dallas, TX
Registered: 2006-08-05
Posts: 1577
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

In 1980 the Supergoose was a Team frame without the candy paint. If your frame has a T in the ser# and there are no traces of candy red or blue then it could have been a Super. Anything after '81 with the step down dropouts will have to have 3 holes in the brake bridge to be a Super. wink


Panties aren't the best thing.......BUT they're next to tha best thang.

Offline

 

#16 2010-01-01 7:02am

music85
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-12-08
Posts: 6
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

MYONE - looking at all the 1980 supergoose pictures on this site, you are incorrect.  ALL pictures show a 1980 Supergoose with 1 hole in the brake bridge.  Please explain your logic - your the expert, no offense.  However, 1981 Super has the 3 holes, the pictures show it. OR JJVH66 mentioned that a super was a Team???? cool

JJVH66 - Here is my problem,  there is no "T" in the serial number.  No traces of red or blue, bike is chrome.  Bridge plate has 1 hole.  However, it's possible this frame could have been re-chomed, don't know for sure. 

OK, I am confused that a Super is a Team - I thought these are two different model bikes.  Guys, please don't take this the wrong way, it's just not making sense to me.  My proof is the pictures of other bikes on this site.

Offline

 

#17 2010-01-01 10:23am

myone
BMXer 4 Life
From: S. Paterson, NJ
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 7978
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

O.K. i stand corrected good work.Even us old heads can be wrong i allways thought SG had the three holes this is true in 81 .Its pretty confuesing .winkI know if the last letter in the sn is 0 its a 1980 for sure if that helps in anyway.PEACE(MYONE)


Everybody sing GOOOOO YANKEES !!!                      MAH!! COULD WE GET SOME MEATLOAF ??????????

Your gonna wear the shirt of the band your going to see??? DONT BE THAT GUY!!!!!!
R.I.P. Autmn Pasquale 12yrs. old you will not be forgotten. Murderd over BMX parts. UNFORGIVABLE.

Offline

 

#18 2010-01-01 2:51pm

bobafett
Pro Member
From: United Kingdom
Registered: 2008-07-11
Posts: 306
Bikes: 33
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Nice bike - I'd probably go with a plastic MX style seat (kashi or Viscount) over the messinger style seat but that's just personal opinion - it's a real nice build smile

As for the early supergoose frames they came out in 79 and were originally nickel with single hole in the brake bridge and flattened rear stay - in 1980 they went to chrome but same frame, then in 81 the dropouts changed, the rear flattened stay was removed and the 3 holes appeared in the brake bridge - there are some crossovers in 81 though - for example with the newer dropouts but still with the flattened stay.

smile


mongoositis - an expensive disease........

Offline

 

#19 2010-01-01 4:58pm

music85
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-12-08
Posts: 6
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Got it so far - Thanks guys.

So the big question - is my Mongoose a Supergoose?
What I know about the bike:
1980 Chrome
1 hole in bridge
Serial number has CHO as the first letters, no "T"

If not a super, would it be a regular mongoose?

Offline

 

#20 2010-01-16 11:54pm

roaster
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-11-07
Posts: 7
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

mongoosedrummer wrote:

Very nice save! smile Would this one possibly be a '79 Nickel Supergoose?

December 1980 build for this one. Definately chrome finish.

Offline

 

#21 2010-01-16 11:55pm

roaster
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-11-07
Posts: 7
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

Kicks wrote:

very nice. are you from Australia and is this the one from the real estate pic?

Yes, this is it, found on wwwrealestate.com.au lol.

Offline

 

#22 2010-01-16 11:57pm

roaster
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-11-07
Posts: 7
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

bobafett wrote:

Nice bike - I'd probably go with a plastic MX style seat (kashi or Viscount) over the messinger style seat but that's just personal opinion - it's a real nice build smile

As for the early supergoose frames they came out in 79 and were originally nickel with single hole in the brake bridge and flattened rear stay - in 1980 they went to chrome but same frame, then in 81 the dropouts changed, the rear flattened stay was removed and the 3 holes appeared in the brake bridge - there are some crossovers in 81 though - for example with the newer dropouts but still with the flattened stay.

smile

I agree with you Bobafett, I have a mongoose stamped kashi on its way!

Offline

 

#23 2010-01-16 11:59pm

roaster
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-11-07
Posts: 7
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

music85 wrote:

Got it so far - Thanks guys.

So the big question - is my Mongoose a Supergoose?
What I know about the bike:
1980 Chrome
1 hole in bridge
Serial number has CHO as the first letters, no "T"

If not a super, would it be a regular mongoose?

Hi Music85. Sounds like your bike is a Motomag.

Offline

 

#24 2010-02-16 8:56am

dobermansgalore
Member
From: Dayton, OH
Registered: 2010-01-24
Posts: 26
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

turned out great

Offline

 

#25 2010-02-16 2:36pm

bobafett
Pro Member
From: United Kingdom
Registered: 2008-07-11
Posts: 306
Bikes: 33
Offline

Re: 1980 Mongoose Supergoose

roaster wrote:

bobafett wrote:

Nice bike - I'd probably go with a plastic MX style seat (kashi or Viscount) over the messinger style seat but that's just personal opinion - it's a real nice build smile

I agree with you Bobafett, I have a mongoose stamped kashi on its way!

Last pic showing the goose stamped Kashi seals the deal - great build cool


mongoositis - an expensive disease........

Offline

 

Board footer