You are not logged in.

1980 RRS Racing  RSS Feed

#1 2009-07-25 1:11pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

1980 RRS Racing

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_2602596bf27019.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_0652.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_0655_copy0.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_0654_copy2.jpg

1980 RRS Racing

1980 RARE RRS BMX

1980?? RRS BMX
RRS, Redlands Riverside Schwinn, Suntour Seat Clamp, Gold Shimano 600 Crank, Stronglight Headset, Bullseye Hubs, Araya Aero rims, Tuf Neck 2000 (oval shaped), Race Inc handlebars, Titron Pedals, Suntour Freewheel

I got this bike from my sister's friend's brother (interesting note my sisters friend and the brother have since passed away).  He bought the bike new and I'm sure paid a pretty penny for it.  I got the bike in about 1985 and have had it since.  I'm guessing that it is about an 81 model.  I raced the bike occasionally as an amateur.  I picked up the bike from my mothers house and I'm going to work on restoring it.
About the bike, I've always thought the bike was special, but now with some research I'm understanding why. 
It's got a gold shimano 600 crank.  It's got araya rims, tuffneck 2000, suntour seat clamp, bullseye hubs, stronglight headset.  I never remember having the cantilever brakes on it, as I always remember having a set of gold diacomp mx brakes.  I have now repaired the canti brakes, just need to add cables. 
Has anyone seen the square brake mounts before?  I'll get a better pic up eventually.

Also, I always thought the bike was particularly light compared to other bikes.
I'm glad I kept up with it all these years!




http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Offline

 

#2 2009-07-25 1:15pm

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: 2007-04-24
Posts: 10789
Bikes: 19

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Wow.  That's a who's who of survivor goodness.  Araya Aeros, Campy cranks and headset, Race Inc. bars, Hutch pedals, Unitrons...  Wow.


avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

Offline

 

#3 2009-07-25 8:44pm

scenecreamer
BMXer 4 Life
From: Omaha, NE
Registered: 2007-11-02
Posts: 4285
Bikes: 3

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

funny, when I click the pics or your gallery it says "No Bikes Found" hmm


I might not deliver when I say I will, but when I do it's always right on time.

It's not my birthday, but that's my name on the cake

"...posing at the 7-11 with your colorful shiny bike you don't do tricks on is played out." -G.

Offline

 

#4 2009-07-31 10:36pm

markanthony
BMXer 4 Life
From: nevada
Registered: 2008-10-09
Posts: 6618
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Those look like the oldest Hutch pedals I've ever seen.


Would like lots of bikes but the SE Hauler is one that has a lot of sentimental value to me. Anyone got one?

Offline

 

#5 2009-08-08 6:22pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

I believe these are 1980 Triton pedals made by Bill Grove the guy who originally released them as the famous Hutch pedals.  I read on the internet that these are the "holy grail" of bmx pedals.

Offline

 

#6 2009-08-09 6:26pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

That should have been Titron

Offline

 

#7 2009-11-20 8:11pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
From: parts unknown
Registered: 2008-05-28
Posts: 11625
Bikes: 3

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

sick i love these. i'm gonna say that brake bridge was added on


ya'll wanna see a dead body?

Offline

 

#8 2011-03-07 6:04pm

jipster43
Member
Registered: 2009-05-16
Posts: 98
Bikes: 6

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Definitely one of my holy grails.  Good on ya' for saving it all these years!

JP smile

Offline

 

#9 2012-03-10 7:06pm

New Old Schooler
Pro Member
From:
Registered: 2010-10-06
Posts: 4620
Bikes: 31

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Absolutely Sweet!!!!!


Blue, you’re my boy!!!

YOU’RE MY BOY BLUE!!!
Thanks Capitán wink

Offline

 

#10 2012-04-30 8:54pm

Crashman
Pro MemberTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6400
Bikes: 2

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

gaijin wrote:

Wow.  That's a who's who of survivor goodness.  Araya Aeros, Campy cranks and headset, Race Inc. bars, Hutch pedals, Unitrons...  Wow.

Araya Aeros should be cheap, especially gold ones, because they came on tens of thousands of Huffy Pro Lightnings. Same as gold 7C's that came on Murrays. On top of that, Aeros were more durable than 7c's or 7x's, so they're more likely to still be usable.

That is, unless everyone threw them away for being heavy...


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#11 2013-07-21 8:56am

Creekblood
Member
Registered: 2013-06-09
Posts: 26
Bikes: 9

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

It's a shame the cantilever brakes are gone. I used to race one of these BITD when they were new and strange. It was an eye catcher and a conversation piece. I was often stopped on my way to the starting hill and questioned about the bike. I remember Stanley Robinson asking me about the bike on top of the starting hill during practice at the Fresno NBmxA track. He was racing for Kuwahara at the time, I believe.

Offline

 

#12 2014-06-14 8:40pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
From: Fukui, Japan
Registered: 2010-08-29
Posts: 4180
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 11
Website

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Great piece of BMX history! cool

Offline

 

#13 2014-08-21 1:32am

Lusk BMX
Pro Member
From: Olympia, WA
Registered: 2009-10-14
Posts: 569
For Sale: 10

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

UPDATE?

Offline

 

#14 2014-08-21 5:31pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Almost done.

What would be the best show to unveil her?

Offline

 

#15 2014-08-21 5:32pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Crashman wrote:

gaijin wrote:

Wow.  That's a who's who of survivor goodness.  Araya Aeros, Campy cranks and headset, Race Inc. bars, Hutch pedals, Unitrons...  Wow.

Araya Aeros should be cheap, especially gold ones, because they came on tens of thousands of Huffy Pro Lightnings. Same as gold 7C's that came on Murrays. On top of that, Aeros were more durable than 7c's or 7x's, so they're more likely to still be usable.

That is, unless everyone threw them away for being heavy...

I have looked a lot and seen very very few of these curved type of Araya rims

Offline

 

#16 2014-08-22 3:30pm

Crashman
Pro MemberTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6400
Bikes: 2

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

wdegenhart wrote:

Crashman wrote:

gaijin wrote:

Wow.  That's a who's who of survivor goodness.  Araya Aeros, Campy cranks and headset, Race Inc. bars, Hutch pedals, Unitrons...  Wow.

Araya Aeros should be cheap, especially gold ones, because they came on tens of thousands of Huffy Pro Lightnings. Same as gold 7C's that came on Murrays. On top of that, Aeros were more durable than 7c's or 7x's, so they're more likely to still be usable.

That is, unless everyone threw them away for being heavy...

I have looked a lot and seen very very few of these curved type of Araya rims

Looking around, it appears there are only a handfull of these bike left. Yep, they all got thrown away or sent for scrap metal.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#17 2014-08-22 7:31pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Yes, there are probably only a handful out there.  On top of that, the 20" are even less.  On top of that, I would venture to say this may be the only existing 20" with square rear brake mounts as opposed to the round thru bolt type.  I'm guessing this was an early production model.  It held up well considering the riding it got .

Offline

 

#18 2014-08-22 10:37pm

Crashman
Pro MemberTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6400
Bikes: 2

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

wdegenhart wrote:

Yes, there are probably only a handful out there.  On top of that, the 20" are even less.  On top of that, I would venture to say this may be the only existing 20" with square rear brake mounts as opposed to the round thru bolt type.  I'm guessing this was an early production model.  It held up well considering the riding it got .

Right, but I was referring to your rims comment, which came on gold-and-black Huffy Pro Lightning bikes. So those were all 20", and very common when new. Compared to the RRS 20", which was always rare.

But no, these brake mounts aren't that uncommon by RRS standards. I had them on my wrecked 1980 RRS frame, and I'm fairly certain they were used for the entire 1980 production year. I've even seen another 1980 frame in these forums with external studs


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#19 2014-08-22 11:17pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
From: Fukui, Japan
Registered: 2010-08-29
Posts: 4180
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 11
Website

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Offline

 

#20 2016-08-25 9:03pm

Texasbmx
Pro Member
From: TX
Registered: 2014-05-16
Posts: 7644
Website

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

i sure hope the pics up are the finished product! big_smile

Offline

 

#21 2016-08-25 9:49pm

Crashman
Pro MemberTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6400
Bikes: 2

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

I picked up a set of vintage Canti mounts, so they're still around if the owner wants to restore the brakes. I don't know why RRS switched to crappy mounts in 1981, the originals were very good and very easy to find back then.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#22 2017-07-16 4:18pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

I updated the pic and the description.., almost done.  Is there a good show that I could take it to and display it?

Offline

 

#23 2017-07-16 4:19pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Crashman wrote:

wdegenhart wrote:

Yes, there are probably only a handful out there.  On top of that, the 20" are even less.  On top of that, I would venture to say this may be the only existing 20" with square rear brake mounts as opposed to the round thru bolt type.  I'm guessing this was an early production model.  It held up well considering the riding it got .

Right, but I was referring to your rims comment, which came on gold-and-black Huffy Pro Lightning bikes. So those were all 20", and very common when new. Compared to the RRS 20", which was always rare.

But no, these brake mounts aren't that uncommon by RRS standards. I had them on my wrecked 1980 RRS frame, and I'm fairly certain they were used for the entire 1980 production year. I've even seen another 1980 frame in these forums with external studs

Can you find me a set of gold ones?

Offline

 

#24 2017-07-16 4:45pm

Crashman
Pro MemberTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Registered: 2012-04-22
Posts: 6400
Bikes: 2

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

wdegenhart wrote:

Crashman wrote:

wdegenhart wrote:

Yes, there are probably only a handful out there.  On top of that, the 20" are even less.  On top of that, I would venture to say this may be the only existing 20" with square rear brake mounts as opposed to the round thru bolt type.  I'm guessing this was an early production model.  It held up well considering the riding it got .

Right, but I was referring to your rims comment, which came on gold-and-black Huffy Pro Lightning bikes. So those were all 20", and very common when new. Compared to the RRS 20", which was always rare.

But no, these brake mounts aren't that uncommon by RRS standards. I had them on my wrecked 1980 RRS frame, and I'm fairly certain they were used for the entire 1980 production year. I've even seen another 1980 frame in these forums with external studs

Can you find me a set of gold ones?

The MOUNTS? Both sets I've had (back in the 1980's and more recently NOS 80's parts) were raw steel.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#25 2017-07-19 6:29pm

wdegenhart
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2009-07-18
Posts: 18
Bikes: 1

Re: 1980 RRS Racing

Crashman wrote:

wdegenhart wrote:

Crashman wrote:


Right, but I was referring to your rims comment, which came on gold-and-black Huffy Pro Lightning bikes. So those were all 20", and very common when new. Compared to the RRS 20", which was always rare.

But no, these brake mounts aren't that uncommon by RRS standards. I had them on my wrecked 1980 RRS frame, and I'm fairly certain they were used for the entire 1980 production year. I've even seen another 1980 frame in these forums with external studs

Can you find me a set of gold ones?

The MOUNTS? Both sets I've had (back in the 1980's and more recently NOS 80's parts) were raw steel.

The rims

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →