You are not logged in.

It was just wrong? no, it is an RRS.  RSS Feed

#101 2009-08-01 6:17am

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer
Bikes: 2

Re: It was just wrong? no, it is an RRS.

Hey everybody thanks. I have not had the time to do much on the RRS but have acquired more bmx stuff. I guess I got a little side tracked. The bmx bug got me good since I thought about selling my stuff a month before I knew about the RRS. I am confused about which way to go- some people suggest leaving the bike as original as possible and I agree. Whats got me is whether or not to have it re-powdered or touch it up. I am all for doing something wright the first time so whats wright? Also I wanted to see if anyone has the same 20' version I have and find out if the parts on theirs are the same as the parts on mine? I am leaning towards keeping it the same as when I first got it cause all the parts except the bars look OG. The stem I thought was original but I will do more investigating on it , unless someone can pin it down. 
Thanx  Momo, I really appreciate it. Crash you have a great sense of humor and I can see we have the same twisted humor so yeah I will definitely make some thing up that gets some panties in a bunch! Owl, I want to change the parts almost as bad as leaving it OG! I just don't have the funds to go that route yet. I would say down the road I may change it who knows. Oh and what is the best for stopping the rust??

Thanx guys.

Caution! Made in Taiwan stickers found on USA made Mongoose frames are known to be made in China.

I'm gonna go get the papers get the papers

#102 2009-08-01 8:15am

I am the owl...
Pro MemberSinner
Bikes: 7

DO NOT repowder it, or change any parts. Clean it and keep it. Its a rare time capsule.

I love dead people....

#103 2009-08-01 12:26pm

TrulyOdd
Pro Member
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 19
Website

most people get it (like owl)....but others seem to be giving you some stupid advice.

DO NOT REPAINT that thing (or touch it up)....it would be your BIGGEST mistake.  (just leave it alone)

Wanted:  anything from... 
Star Products, Rebel Racing, Hustler, BXC, Panda or White Bear.

I buy/sell/trade vinyl records. Hip Hop, Rock, Funk, Reggae etc.
LP's, 45’s & 12" singles (even cassettes) -  hit me up

#104 2009-08-01 2:28pm

PlanetX
Expert
Bikes: 47
Website

Don't change it! Don't powder it. Don't touch it up. DON'T! Seriously. Truly is right, you'll regret it.

No way to know what the "right" or OG stem was since there was never an RRS bike. Just frame kits, so people built them as they liked. That stem seems okay. If the bars are mid-school or something, change them, but I can't tell what they are from your pics.

The saddle, well, I'd change that, personally. It's not old enough. Everything else, though, looks great.

Bikes owned 1978-1989: '78 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36, '78 Redline Proline, '77 Redline MX-II, '79 Thruster, '79 Torker, '77 Roger DeCoster, '80 JMC, '80 Fuji Feather, '81 Boss (STOLEN!), '82 Hutch Pro, '82 Patterson, '83 GT Pro, '83 Profile Champ Pro

#105 2009-08-01 6:57pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

auburndomingo wrote:

Hey everybody thanks. I have not had the time to do much on the RRS but have acquired more bmx stuff. I guess I got a little side tracked. The bmx bug got me good since I thought about selling my stuff a month before I knew about the RRS. I am confused about which way to go- some people suggest leaving the bike as original as possible and I agree. Whats got me is whether or not to have it re-powdered or touch it up. I am all for doing something wright the first time so whats wright? Also I wanted to see if anyone has the same 20' version I have and find out if the parts on theirs are the same as the parts on mine? I am leaning towards keeping it the same as when I first got it cause all the parts except the bars look OG. The stem I thought was original but I will do more investigating on it , unless someone can pin it down. 
Thanx  Momo, I really appreciate it. Crash you have a great sense of humor and I can see we have the same twisted humor so yeah I will definitely make some thing up that gets some panties in a bunch! Owl, I want to change the parts almost as bad as leaving it OG! I just don't have the funds to go that route yet. I would say down the road I may change it who knows. Oh and what is the best for stopping the rust??

Thanx guys.

Where in NJ do ya live?   The state isn't that big.smile

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#106 2009-08-02 2:51pm

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

Owl, Truly, and Planet- I really wanted to her that. I am all for the resto just cant decide what is the best and you guys basically all said the same! I just want to clean it up and make the whole bike nice/ era correct. Thank you and Pm me if you want in the future cool

Caution! Made in Taiwan stickers found on USA made Mongoose frames are known to be made in China.

#107 2009-08-02 3:07pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

I am the owl... wrote:

Ya! Repowder it with some "retro" Profiles, some "retro"Hutch pedals, some "retro" flite pads, some "retro" Skyway bars, some "original NOS" Bullseyes, and some "retro" comp tires, that would be sweet

your pickle's showing

Last edited by squirrelsmith (2009-08-02 3:12pm)

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#108 2009-08-02 3:21pm

Mirage1972
Museum Addict
Bikes: 22

Wow, just caught up with this, really cool find. I haven't heard a thing about one of these since way back when. I agree 100% by far to just clean it up, replace the parts that are obviously not correct with era-correct appropriate parts and leave it. And fix whatever is broken like that brake mount thing. Otherwise, it's a rare gem mostly unmolested from its previous likely race career, so to "refinish" it would be quite a travesty.

Congrats!

WTB: Nothing, unless it's a real cheap local survivor score!

"BICYCLING DON'TS: Stunting, doing wheelies, or 'dirt biking' places stresses on bicycles far above design intentions.
Damage such as broken welds, bent forks, and 'flat spots' on rims will result" -- Breaking all the bicycling rules since 1977.

#109 2009-08-02 3:32pm

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

Thanx Mirage. I need all the suggestions I can get cause I really never got into the full resto part of bmx. I really feel I have a bunch to learn before doing anything to the RRS.

Do you anybody have a suggestion on the areas where the paint chipped and the rust is bad? I dont want to put O&A on it to soak!

#110 2009-08-03 5:19am

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1

auburndomingo wrote:

Thanx Mirage. I need all the suggestions I can get cause I really never got into the full resto part of bmx. I really feel I have a bunch to learn before doing anything to the RRS.

Do you anybody have a suggestion on the areas where the paint chipped and the rust is bad? I dont want to put O&A on it to soak!

I don't know how well it is recommended, since people usually freak when they hear the word steel wool, but when I got my Haro Sport, the paint was chipped in several places with some rust coming through. I sprayed the heck out of it with rust penetrant and used some super fine steel wool on some of the bad rust. It cleaned up pretty well, and nearly a year later, none has shown back up.

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#111 2009-08-03 6:09am

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

Chilli, I swear buy steel wool. Especially the fine type cause if you have a nice chrome frame with some light rust or even sticker gum it works! As for the rust on the RRS its at the edges of the frame and dropouts so I didnt want to soak the whole thing. Fine steel wool will be my first step but what kind of 'rust penetrant' did you use? I have liquid wrench and pb blaster if thats what you mean.

#112 2009-08-03 6:35am

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 1

auburndomingo wrote:

Chilli, I swear buy steel wool. Especially the fine type cause if you have a nice chrome frame with some light rust or even sticker gum it works! As for the rust on the RRS its at the edges of the frame and dropouts so I didnt want to soak the whole thing. Fine steel wool will be my first step but what kind of 'rust penetrant' did you use? I have liquid wrench and pb blaster if thats what you mean.

I used Mopar Rust Penetrant PN4318039AB. That stuff works real well. It's been on backorder for a few months now though. sad I ran the number on the parts locator, and a few Chrysler dealers in New Jersey do show it if you want to give it a shot.

I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

#113 2009-08-03 1:17pm

nintendoninja
Pro Member"GT JUGGALO"
Bikes: 9

THAT RRS IS AWESOME!! yikes

- WTB 2004 Redline Retro Squareback -
- WTB Knight Retro Goose Trails Frame -

#114 2009-09-15 7:06pm

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

chillywilly263 wrote:

auburndomingo wrote:

I used Mopar Rust Penetrant PN4318039AB. That stuff works real well. It's been on backorder for a few months now though. sad I ran the number on the parts locator, and a few Chrysler dealers in New Jersey do show it if you want to give it a shot.

Been meaning to say thanx for the info and thought in looking up the number in Jersey. cool cool

#115 2009-09-15 9:16pm

TODD74
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
Website

yikes what a score!

IF IT HAS SPOKES,I'LL DRIVE IT

#116 2015-10-09 3:39pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
For Sale: 10
Website

What an interesting thread, for various reasons!! Six years down the line, I'm wondering what happened to this fantastic bike! Was it restored, left as a survivor (I hope so!), sold on or just put to the back of the garage? An update would be great, as would submitting this to the museum as a great example of this amazing bike!! smile

#117 2015-10-17 1:52pm

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

I still have it and have not done any paint work just cleaned the rusty spots. I did how ever change most of the parts. It now has Ukai shinny sides with high flange hubs, comp III tires, Dura Ace 175mm crank, black KKT pedals (original ones), GT Non knurled Pro bars, Pro neck stem, Ame Tri's, Gt straight post, Vetta suede seat, Tuff Neck spc, repaired canti brakes ect.
Here is an old pic from the 3RD annual Jersey Spring ride almost 3 years ago when I first rebuilt it. It now has the above parts not what is in this pic below but close.
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/blackndholocaust/IMG_0525.jpg

Last edited by auburndomingo (2015-10-17 1:55pm)

#118 2015-10-17 2:05pm

auburndomingo
The Noob Whisperer

The frame is small for me at 18'' TT but overall the RRS handled very well for that ride not to mention I jumped a few times up some curbs and off some speed bumps with little to no effort.  I have this pic to show how much smaller it is in comparison to my buddy's Skyway...
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/blackndholocaust/IMG_0552.jpg

#119 2015-10-17 4:58pm

MickRich393
Pro Member
For Sale: 10
Website

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you've still got it and kept the og paintwork as it looks great! Now get it submitted to the Museum (with before and after pics) so I can fave it! big_smile

Board footer

View Cart →