You are not logged in.

riding 450+ miles next week, ON A BMX BIKE!  RSS Feed

#51 2009-07-27 4:39pm

muphasta
Pro Tester
Bikes: 7

Re: riding 450+ miles next week, ON A BMX BIKE!

Just got done going over your updates, really cool man!

Some questions, was the tent/sleeping stuff your personal gear?
You say you packed everything up in the morning, do you put it on a sag wagon then have to set up camp and blow that mattress up every night or do they do that for you?

How do you find your stuff each night w/10k people?

the dude w/the blood coming out of his eyes... did you ever find out what happened to him?

I'll bug you more later.

I can't imagine doing that ride on a road bike, let alone a bmx bike!

Great thread!

Amateur vajazzler seeking clients

#52 2009-07-27 9:21pm

yellow99s
Expert
Bikes: 17

the tent and gear was mine and i had to set up and tear down each day. that actually was one of the hardest parts because if you didn't get to camp fast, you couldn't  get a good spot. i left around 5:30 each day to stay well ahead of the pack which meant packing up in the complete darkness, often soaked from rain or dew.

rather than use the free baggage service which can take hours to find your bag, i rode with River Bend Bicycle Club. they offered a charter bus ride across the state and baggage service from stop to stop. they also camp together and had a power station and cold pop available almost always (50 cents a can). i think the bus ride was around $100 and the baggage service about $85. registering for RAGBRAI was like $140, long term parking at the end town was $50. $20 a day in Gatorade and $15 -$20 in food. overall it was damn expensive but worth every penny. there are companies that provide, set up, and tear down your tent each day. they put your bags in your tent for you each day and you can ship them your bike ahead of time and it will be there in your tent on the first day. they typically have dinner paid and reserved each night as well but i heard the "full service" cost around $800.

i haven't found anything on the injured guy. if he wasn't a registerd rider (quite a few are not) it won't be mentioned as a Ragbrai accident. saw lots of arm casts buy the end of the week, some days were ambulance crazy and some were not, kinda weird.

"This should be a no brainer guys. If you think the wife would disagree with the bike/price tell her "Honey, I bought this for you. I LUUVVVV you...". And then proceed to put it with your other bikes and tell her she can never ride it. lol"

#53 2009-07-27 9:56pm

CoolRiderNJ
Pro Member
Bikes: 9

yo you must have some stamina and endurance man thats an insane trip to be taking on a bmx bike. that is incredible. wow im inspired by you. i rode a local bike trail which is about 28miles on my MTB and was dead by the end with little to no elevation at all. i can only imagine the push and determination in you to finish mustve been incredible. i wouldve def quit after the middle of the first day no question. dude you rode your tires to the threads!!! INSANE!! next time i will do that trail on a bmx bike just cause you inspired me to do so. i can't believe it man. Props to you bro awesome job and its def a feat to be proud of man. Now who in nj is with me to ride the trail lol? big_smile

#54 2009-07-28 7:13am

muphasta
Pro Tester

Just curious, could you have rotated your tires halfway through the ride?

Any lessons learned while out there on the road?

Amateur vajazzler seeking clients

#55 2009-07-28 7:28am

00_Duck
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
Website

Wow, I am truly inspired. When I am riding in the local BikeMS ride in late Sept whenever I feel down and out I will think of you and your journey. If a guy on a 20" can go 450 miles in a week, I can do 180 in 2 days on an 18 speed road bike.

Thoughts and questions:
1. Did you consider using clipless pedals/shoes and if so what changed your mind to use platforms?
2. What make/model/psi were your tires? I've used 100 PSI tires on mountain bike wheels before and they were every nice rollers.
3. Did you calculate your average speed?
4. What would you different next time?
5. Any tips on training for such a ride? And did you train up on the 20" for this?
6. Lastly, do you think a number plate might have hurt or helped your performance? Aerodynamic vs sail effect.

I'm still saying wow to myself about this! Simply WOW!

I get this question often so here it is to save everyone time. I do not have any Mongoose DMC decals left. I was lucky enough to find a small bunch of NOS decal sets in an old bike shop that no longer exists and I have since sold them all. Sorry. I wish you all the best of luck with your DMC builds.

#56 2009-07-28 7:32am

chemcopout
BMX Chick
Bikes: 12

you rock man!!! cool
i am at a loss for words!

I stopped begging for help with the bike drive. If you see this and wish to donate parts send me a message. Anything and everything is accepted and appreciated smile

Sell me all your S&M parts!!!
...And go look at my S&M bikes:

#57 2009-07-28 7:38am

Felled Angel is Back
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

That is so awesome, man! Is it a world record? Such a trip on a BMX! Props to you and for doing that on a BMX bike! Shows that BMX bikes are just as good and can make it (thanks to you riding it of course).
It sounds like a Guiness book of Records type thing!
I would never have the stamina to go that far or even a fraction of that far, that is so cool!
Can you stop at a bike shop along the way to get new tires and some spares for the road?
Very awesome deal, and you don't have to wear spandex! wink smile

#58 2009-07-28 7:41am

quinonesm
For Sale Restricted
Bikes: 10

Amazing photo story and adventure! Very inspirational too! I'm glad you completed it without incident and that was some cool thinking with the tape on the tire. wink

U.S. Army Vet
It's pronounced Keen-YO-nez, but I'm fine with Q! smile

#59 2009-07-28 7:55am

stillinthegame
Pro MemberDan's Comp
For Sale: 1
Website

great story! you my friend are LIVING BMX

I want to apoligize in advance for not reading the entire thread or doing any research whatsoever before i post my comments.

DANSCOMP resident Old School Guru

#60 2009-07-28 3:05pm

yellow99s
Expert

thanks guys!, yeah, had i noticed the tread going, i would have rotated them but it was far too late when i did. never expected to kill a tire in only a few days. with the extra 27 miles on "century" day and all the trips back and forth to town i'm guessing the total mileage was around 525. earlier riding was around 300, so i guess i got about 825 out of it. anyone know if that's the average life span of a 20" tire?

"This should be a no brainer guys. If you think the wife would disagree with the bike/price tell her "Honey, I bought this for you. I LUUVVVV you...". And then proceed to put it with your other bikes and tell her she can never ride it. lol"

#61 2009-07-28 3:20pm

SCIVIC94
Pro Member
Bikes: 24
For Sale: 14

tire life all depends on the tire. different tires have different compounds. different terrain beat the tire differently. air pressure? all depends. i would say you probably got your moneys  worth from those tires. shot you a pm with a question

#62 2009-07-28 3:31pm

yellow99s
Expert

00_Duck wrote:

Wow, I am truly inspired. When I am riding in the local BikeMS ride in late Sept whenever I feel down and out I will think of you and your journey. If a guy on a 20" can go 450 miles in a week, I can do 180 in 2 days on an 18 speed road bike.

Thoughts and questions:
1. Did you consider using clipless pedals/shoes and if so what changed your mind to use platforms?
2. What make/model/psi were your tires? I've used 100 PSI tires on mountain bike wheels before and they were every nice rollers.
3. Did you calculate your average speed?
4. What would you different next time?
5. Any tips on training for such a ride? And did you train up on the 20" for this?
6. Lastly, do you think a number plate might have hurt or helped your performance? Aerodynamic vs sail effect.

I'm still saying wow to myself about this! Simply WOW!

1. as far as the pedals go, i wanted to do this "my way" only. i've never tried any other pedals but now that i've completed my goal i'm open to all options.
2. the tires are kenda 40 -406's, a recumbent road tire. max psi is 60 but i ran them at 70, which with the spin wheels makes for a very, very, stiff ride.
3. most of the people i rode were averaging 13mph. that sounds slow but for over 3 hours at a time with huge hills it's actually quite fast.
4. there won't be a next time on a bmx for me but if i could change something about this ride, it would have been: pack a disposable rain coat, bring $100 per day instead of $40 (money solves everything), and i may have packed my original 40t sprocket (i ran 38t when i found out about the elevation), i didn't because i didn't want to mess with chain length but it occured to me half way through that i could have brought a second (pre sized) chain.
5. training was tough because of all the rain we've had this year. what i did was ride to work as often as possible, it's only 2.5 miles away so i'd do 10 miles on the way home, always on the hilliest route possible.  on the weekends i'd ride to Albany IL as fast as i could, it's about 25 miles round trip. that would usually take 1:45 minutes. i only rode THIS bike all year which sucked because i miss my other bikes. i'll likely never ride this bike again.
6. hmm, they run Ragbrai west to east for the wind advantage but it was only to my back one day (very lightly). in this instance i think it would have hurt my downhill speed (40+ mph) a lot. ironically there actually was a sail powered recumbent in the group, it had a small motor and an alternator for climbing the hills. i don't think he finished.

THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING Q'S !!

#63 2009-07-28 3:50pm

dartek
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 2

WOW!  This is just awesome!  Thanks for posting everything and NICE JOB!  And I thought I was cool for riding to work on a 26" BMX.  This is a whole other level and very inspirational.  Thanks again!

#64 2009-07-28 4:11pm

00_Duck
Pro Member
Website

About changing sprockets....instead of a pre sized chain, you could run a longer chain with a tensioner.  Awesome job!

I once rode a bmx bike for 6-8 miles and once I was done I sold it as I never wanted to ride it again either.

Last edited by 00_Duck (2009-07-28 4:12pm)

I get this question often so here it is to save everyone time. I do not have any Mongoose DMC decals left. I was lucky enough to find a small bunch of NOS decal sets in an old bike shop that no longer exists and I have since sold them all. Sorry. I wish you all the best of luck with your DMC builds.

#65 2009-07-28 4:23pm

yellow99s
Expert

00_Duck wrote:

About changing sprockets....instead of a pre sized chain, you could run a longer chain with a tensioner.  Awesome job!

I once rode a bmx bike for 6-8 miles and once I was done I sold it as I never wanted to ride it again either.

i thought about that too but i try to keep the chain length as short as possible for manuals. cool

#66 2009-07-28 11:32pm

chemcopout
BMX Chick
Bikes: 12

man.... amazing! i still cant get over your journey! how much did your bike weigh? awesome pics as well smile you rock!!

I stopped begging for help with the bike drive. If you see this and wish to donate parts send me a message. Anything and everything is accepted and appreciated smile

Sell me all your S&M parts!!!
...And go look at my S&M bikes:

#67 2009-09-15 7:37pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

cool pic's that sounds like it was a h*ll of a lot of fun.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#68 2009-09-15 8:35pm

TODD74
Pro Member
Website

wow dude that looked like an epic trip! thats a lot of miles with a fixed gear! damn! your a trooper!

IF IT HAS SPOKES,I'LL DRIVE IT

#69 2009-09-15 8:39pm

00_Duck
Pro Member
Website

This still inspires me to this day!

Last edited by 00_Duck (2009-09-15 8:39pm)

#70 2009-09-16 2:01pm

zeekle
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
Website

Love that bike!

WANT TO BUY:
zeronine gloves "Wrist-Wrap"
pm or email! cool

#71 2009-09-16 2:14pm

freedo
Pro MemberWhite Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 3

that looks awsome

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

#72 2009-09-16 3:03pm

Miko
Pro MemberS&M Nut!

Didn't catch this thread the first time around.  Truly amazing.  I wonder what the road bikers thought of "the guy on the BMX bike".

Sell me your Threaded S&M Goodies.  IF, you are so inclined.  smile

#73 2009-09-25 8:16am

Dr.Robotnik
Centurion Member

I think I did Digg 42, don't know though as that site is annoyingly confusing. DrRobotnik was taken so I used DrRobotnikikgdsg or something. BTW what is Digg and how does it help? Good luck.   cool

hexxed wrote:

Troy McMurray is gonna kick your ass

#74 2009-09-25 8:17am

Dr.Robotnik
Centurion Member

^Oops posted that in the wrong thread tongue

Congratulations on your Pdyssey though mate, inspirational.

hexxed wrote:

#75 2009-09-25 8:18am

Dr.Robotnik
Centurion Member

That should say Odyssey. An edit button wouldn't go a miss round here you know. I'll get my coat.

hexxed wrote:

Board footer

View Cart →