You are not logged in.

GT fans,chime in...GT Piston stem - 3D designed  RSS Feed

#26 2009-06-20 8:52am

TRILOGY
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Re: GT fans,chime in...GT Piston stem - 3D designed

yellow99s wrote:

Two of the three mallets are here at Rockford right now, trilogy where are you? big_smile

haha !

broke as joke right now. sad

hopefully i will make it next year with 2 retro GT Shows. wink

Last edited by TRILOGY (2009-06-20 8:52am)

#27 2009-06-20 1:36pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
Bikes: 5

Hanzo wrote:

That looks awesome!!!

Hey Matthew!
It's been some time huh??

MonocoqueMike wrote:

...GT already has a threadless piston stem, so what's the point of "re-poppin" them?...

Mike, call down bro..
No one said anything about "re-poppin'" the Piston stem, it's my work...and i would like to share it with you guys....something i've done on my free time and has nothing to do with creating "fake" stems.
IF,and i say if , i would ever build a replica of it would be high quality stuff and not just a "fake" stem. (7075 aluminum and gyro tabs attached on it)

The threadless GT Mallet stem was what i had in mind and some older 1'' stems converted to threadless wink

Dyno-Mike wrote:

looking good on the piston! i would say the first pic shows that the front piece is also threaded and it doesnt need to be unless that was your plan all along...also the part that clamps onto the fork it looks like the first pinch piece is threaded and isnt on the real ones

Good eye there!
Yes, you're right wink

The first pinch piece and stem's front load cap shouldn't be threaded....i should have used a bigger diameter hole so that the bolt could freely turn.
It just me....i was tired and decided to leave it that way for now

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#28 2009-06-20 3:02pm

MonocoqueMike
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

Duke 01 wrote:

MonocoqueMike wrote:

...GT already has a threadless piston stem, so what's the point of "re-poppin" them?...

Mike, call down bro..
No one said anything about "re-poppin'" the Piston stem, it's my work...and i would like to share it with you guys....something i've done on my free time and has nothing to do with creating "fake" stems.
IF,and i say if , i would ever build a replica of it would be high quality stuff and not just a "fake" stem. (7075 aluminum and gyro tabs attached on it)

The threadless GT Mallet stem was what i had in mind and some older 1'' stems converted to threadless wink

High quality, low quality, it doesn't matter - making the exact stem that has already been made with no new distinguishing factors is one thing - FAKE - You're opening pandora's box by doing something like that...

I'm sure you spent some good time on this etc., but please don't picss on me and tell me it's raining...If you're gonna put your time into it, put your signature on it as well and make it your own...Don't copy other people's work and expect praise for it...Re-popped items are going to be the downfall of this hobby, some people just don't get it...

It's all in the Technique...

#29 2009-06-20 3:05pm

MonocoqueMike
Pro Member

The gyro tabs would be a cool innovation to the stem...but once it's in another persons hands and the persons after that, how is that person or the person buying supposed to know that it's one of your creations?  The answer is, the person won't know...Someone will probably try to pass it off as OG and some sort of UBER RARE prototype stem that was never for sale to the masses...

#30 2009-06-20 3:35pm

wagonguy
Pro Member
For Sale: 6

I'm with ya Mike. Cool concept if they are differentiated from originals with newer technology or other markings that make it obvious that they are repops. I have a Retro Pro Neck on my Firemans. 1 1/8" threadless, and obviously not OG. It was made specifically for retro bikes. The Mallets are cool, because someone made something old new again for today's technology. A replica of a threadless piston stem would be cool  if the front engraving was changed. As long as "GT" is present, I agree with Mike, someone will try to pass it off as a long lost prototype some day. Something else to think about, GT is owned by Pacific, and they still actively enforce their copyrights.

Doug

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Would love to acquire a Sunn B-Mix 26.

#31 2009-06-20 4:18pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
Bikes: 5

First off....by saying this

MonocoqueMike wrote:

some people just don't get it...

to me, since you don't know me,you're insulting me if you don't know.....simple as that bro!
And I was kind to you.

MonocoqueMike wrote:

You're opening pandora's box by doing something like that...

Again: I DIDN'T SAY i'm going to reproduct the USA-made Pistons!
It's just a 3D design i'd like to share....THE DIMENSIONS ARE FICTIONAL if you haven't noticed......and of course i don't expect praise for it. That's something simple for me to do, something i enjoy doing and i LOVE sharing it with positive people who know how to have a good time!
If you don't like that i designed my favorite stem_as a tribute to it_there are so many other threads to watch wink
And if you can't do a 3d design for yourself....please stop ranting on me.

Even if so.....Calling "Opening Pandora's box" for doing one stem, GT never built with gyro tabs, for my personal rider to enjoy it myself from the far away Greece, is a little bit OVER the top, don't you think??
If not, think twice.*

*(Original GT is out of business since a long time ago....and we won't be able to find NOS parts to use for ever,  neither to pay high dollars to get them..
And i don't want to scratch the ones i got in my possession! So does everyone i suppose.)

If it would be my own bro...it wouldn't have to say GT on it wink
That's something ex-GT built, i respect it and that's the reason why i designed it in the first place.

MonocoqueMike wrote:

The answer is, the person won't know...Someone will probably try to pass it off as OG and some sort of UBER RARE prototype stem that was never for sale to the masses...

Do you afraid if you're going to fall in a fraud?
We fall in frauds everyday....it's just hard for us to realize.
IF i ever build a stem like and happen to sell it (which i wouldn't).....i would make it clear, cause that's just me Mike.

Someone else, trying to make some money, maybe will try to do what you're saying_the person who will buy it though, either will have more than one original in his collection....so he won't really mind if it's "fake" or not and actually will be able to make clear it's authenticity, or will be totally clueless to spend that much ("to pass it off as OG and some sort of UBER RARE prototype stem") on a simple stem.

And at the end of the day...it's just a stem (Actually a design of a stem)
Peace.

wagonguy wrote:

...or other markings that make it obvious that they are repops.

wink
Exactly.
I was thinking of my name or my initials stamped at the bottom if i would ever build it.

Last edited by Duke 01 (2009-06-20 4:29pm)

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#32 2009-06-20 4:35pm

Snider
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

MonocoqueMike wrote:

Snider wrote:

If I can get the time lol. But, to answer your question I could easily duplicate them, or any stem for that matter.

This is a scary statement, especially when there are so many fake parts floating around...GT already has a threadless piston stem, so what's the point of "re-poppin" them?...I could see a want for the threadless mallet, but to redo the piston stem just seems a lil' shady to me...Why don't you put the old school GT logo on there or put your own spin on it to distinguish them from the originals??

Just my .02 - Am I the only one who feels this way??

Thumbs down to re-pooped parts...

Just to clearify, I was talking about doing the mallet stem since a threadless version was never made, and If i ever did something like that it would be a small run for a select few people. Id never produce something like that. I only produce original products. I would never just blatently copy a design to make a profit. I hate that. I hate repoped stuff! like this new hutch crap. I cant stand that sh!t.

#33 2009-06-20 4:39pm

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

are some of you guys under the unbeleivably naive fog that people arent already repoping tons of stuff? really? you think its not happening? notice that massive amount of nos stuff on ebay all the time? rollhmm

#34 2009-06-20 4:43pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

crash-endo wrote:

are some of you guys under the unbeleivably naive fog that people arent already repoping tons of stuff? really? you think its not happening? notice that massive amount of nos stuff on ebay all the time? rollhmm

Nope, not at all. Doesn't mean we should condone/support it. When I or someone figures out that someone is selling counterfeit crap, it should be brought up so others can avoid getting burned. That normally happens (IE: the crappy repop GT and Haro stems coming from asia).  Only a few on here actually defend the counterfeiter roll

Doug

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

#35 2009-06-20 4:50pm

Snider
Centurion Member
Bikes: 3

Im sure its happening, doenst mean I want to do it.

#36 2009-06-20 5:05pm

crash-endo

wagonguy wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

Nope, not at all. Doesn't mean we should condone/support it. When I or someone figures out that someone is selling counterfeit crap, it should be brought up so others can avoid getting burned. That normally happens (IE: the crappy repop GT and Haro stems coming from asia).  Only a few on here actually defend the counterfeiter roll

Doug

I think counterfeit would mean someone passing something off as real thats not, this thread and the other thread werent about counterfeiting.

#37 2009-06-20 5:26pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

crash-endo wrote:

wagonguy wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

Doug

I think counterfeit would mean someone passing something off as real thats not, this thread and the other thread werent about counterfeiting.

This one, probably not. The other one? Definitely. I doesn't matter if he was trying to pass it off. That is not what a counterfeiter is. He made it so it could be passed off as original. In this thread, he stated that he would mark anything he made. No big deal. The other one, he didn't. His intentions were to make an exact copy because he couldn't/wouldn't find a real one. Then he tried to sell them. When it was suggested he mark them he bailed. Straight up scammer.

Doug

#38 2009-06-20 5:30pm

crash-endo

wagonguy wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

wagonguy wrote:

Doug

This one, probably not. The other one? Definitely. I doesn't matter if he was trying to pass it off. That is not what a counterfeiter is. He made it so it could be passed off as original. In this thread, he stated that he would mark anything he made. No big deal. The other one, he didn't. His intentions were to make an exact copy because he couldn't/wouldn't find a real one. Then he tried to sell them. When it was suggested he mark them he bailed. Straight up scammer.

Doug

its useless discussing this as you obviously didnt read his ad, and your going to say you dont beleive him thats fine, but calling him names only makes you look bad.

#39 2009-06-20 5:32pm

crash-endo

oh and are you driving to oregon to beat up the guy who makes gt pads? are you going to kick jim meltons ass for making new pads and sticker sets? are you going to burn down my boss's house for making new grips??? hmmmm? well are you?

#40 2009-06-20 5:34pm

crash-endo

oh you going to punch your self in the face for that fake redline you sold? I mean its been repainted but I dont think you had a certificate of refinishing with it did you?roll

#41 2009-06-20 5:36pm

MonocoqueMike
Pro Member

Duke 01 wrote:

First off....by saying this

MonocoqueMike wrote:

some people just don't get it...

to me, since you don't know me,you're insulting me if you don't know.....simple as that bro!
And I was kind to you.

I am sorry if you took what I said to you as a personal insult...That is not what was intended at all...You are right, I don't know you and I don't fight people through the internet...lol...I am definately NOT a internet tough guy...It is just my stance on reproduction parts in general, not a direct flame on you...belive me bro, I do not mean to insult you...I think that it's cool that you are designing and innovating products for you...I never meant to say that you would try and pass the stem off as a prototype...I know that YOU would indicate to the person that's buying it that it would be reproduction, but I was talking about the person that had it after that person, or the person that had it after that, etc., etc.

AGAIN, huge apology to you if you think that I insulted you...It wasn't my intention...

Like I said, it is my stance on repro parts in general...I don't know where you stand on JDB's repro hutch stuff, but it was said on the website that he was going to make parts for today's racers...I haven't seen a hutch threadless stem or hutch clip-in pedals on the site...So how is he helping today's racers??  I would say that he's trying to take advantage of the vintage market...Last time I checked 90% of todays racers clip in and 0% use threaded stems...

Enough of the hutch rant, it is getting old and won't change...

In the end, I can't stop anything you decide to do, nor am I trying to...Just voicing my opinion...

#42 2009-06-20 5:37pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

Then bad I am. He should have his selling privileges on this site revoked, and all the other sites should be warned about him. What he did is detrimental to our hobby, which is what this site and others like it are for. He should join a machinists website to show off his creations. If I was running or modding this website or any other site about vintage BMX bikes, anyone who attempted to sell/trade counterfeit or fake parts would immediately be banned. If you want to just have a cool bike to ride, get a new bike and customize it all you want.

And yes, I read his ad. It was selling a Fake Tuf Neck Pro Model. I don't care if he said he only made 5 or 500. He made fake parts. Then attempted to sell them here to collectors.

Yea, yea, yeah....good thing I don't run this site, right?

Doug

#43 2009-06-20 5:39pm

mikecs4life
BLACK WIDOWS, MI. FACTION
Bikes: 1

crash-endo wrote:

wagonguy wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

Doug

its useless discussing this as you obviously didnt read his ad, and your going to say you dont beleive him thats fine, but calling him names only makes you look bad.

link to the OTHER one please

If ***holes could fly, this place would be an airport.

#44 2009-06-20 5:40pm

crash-endo

here is what will stop it, stop charging so much and there wont be a market for repops, trade trade trade....

and yes I think TRUE real repopers SUCK BALLS....seriously if the guy who was attempting to sell the stem was doing it for bad I would like to see him banned, plain and simple.

#45 2009-06-20 5:41pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

crash-endo wrote:

oh and are you driving to oregon to beat up the guy who makes gt pads? are you going to kick jim meltons ass for making new pads and sticker sets? are you going to burn down my boss's house for making new grips??? hmmmm? well are you?

When did I ever threaten physical violence?

And you are talking about soft goods. Little bit of a difference there. And no, my Redline was not fake. It was made in the USA by Redline before they sent their production overseas. And yes, it was prominently advertised as repowdered. It even had the wrong sticker set on it. Keep trying man.

Doug

#46 2009-06-20 5:42pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

mikecs4life wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

wagonguy wrote:

Doug

link to the OTHER one please

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1223420

#47 2009-06-20 5:43pm

crash-endo

wagonguy wrote:

Then bad I am. He should have his selling privileges on this site revoked, and all the other sites should be warned about him. What he did is detrimental to our hobby, which is what this site and others like it are for. He should join a machinists website to show off his creations. If I was running or modding this website or any other site about vintage BMX bikes, anyone who attempted to sell/trade counterfeit or fake parts would immediately be banned. If you want to just have a cool bike to ride, get a new bike and customize it all you want.

And yes, I read his ad. It was selling a Fake Tuf Neck Pro Model. I don't care if he said he only made 5 or 500. He made fake parts. Then attempted to sell them here to collectors.

Yea, yea, yeah....good thing I don't run this site, right?

Doug

well thats semantics there, he made it, he said it was a copy, thats the difference I guess you think thats fraud and I think its what I would do if I was in his situation and needed the part and had the skills and machines to do it.

#48 2009-06-20 5:44pm

crash-endo

wagonguy wrote:

crash-endo wrote:

When did I ever threaten physical violence?

And you are talking about soft goods. Little bit of a difference there. And no, my Redline was not fake. It was made in the USA by Redline before they sent their production overseas. And yes, it was prominently advertised as repowdered. It even had the wrong sticker set on it. Keep trying man.

Doug

so was it engraved in the powder? nope.....thats my point, as dull as it is.

#49 2009-06-20 5:48pm

wagonguy
Pro Member

Again, you are talking refinishing vs fake parts. Apples and oranges.

Actually more like apples and bowling balls lol

Doug

#50 2009-06-20 5:52pm

nintendoninja
"GT JUGGALO"
Bikes: 9

wagonguy wrote:

Again, you are talking refinishing vs fake parts. Apples and oranges.

Actually more like apples and bowling balls lol

Doug

when you refinish a bike you use fake "counterfeit paint" that was not applied at the original factory nor was it painted on the correct date of manufacturing.

you sure do contradict yourself all over this site tongue

Board footer

View Cart →