You are not logged in.

HOW TO ** Remove Anodization **  RSS Feed

#26 2009-02-13 2:42pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
Bikes: 5

Re: HOW TO ** Remove Anodization **

deme wrote:

it will work. As long as they are not painted or powdered. Just follow the directions above. remove any plastic on the parts if possible.

what did you buy that has dry caustic?
If it is just labeled as dry caustic shouldn't have one single problem.

Since paint strippers didn't work, i don't know what kind of stuff they used to color it black.
It's probably the same material they have been using on their brake levers for years.

Yeah, i went to a shop that sells paints and chemicals specified for metal workers, i asked for Caustic Soda, and seller said "yes, i have dry Caustic"
I bough it for $3.2 per 1kg
Bought some gloves as well.

Last edited by Duke 01 (2009-02-13 2:43pm)

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#27 2009-02-13 2:52pm

deme
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

sounds like your good to go then.

have fun...

#28 2009-02-13 3:04pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

Thank you for the tips Deme smile big_smile
Without you it wouldn't be possible.

Costas.

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#29 2009-02-13 6:27pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

...back!!

yikes yikes yikes yikes

Deme, you're my savior!!
I had many black anodized parts and wasn't going to use them on my builds.............now i can go polished them out with no worries anymore smile

Last edited by Duke 01 (2009-02-16 5:51pm)

!Midschool TANK freak!

#30 2009-02-13 6:37pm

deme
Pro Member
Website

glad it worked out...
show us some pics...

#31 2009-02-13 6:42pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

deme wrote:

show us some pics...

I'll take some tomorrow in the day light.

Downside of this, is that i didn't take "before pics" to compare.
But all the parts were black/black anodized.

!Midschool TANK freak!

#32 2009-02-16 6:21pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

Well, i didn't make it to take some pics outside in the day light.

But here are some pics just to show the results.
All of the parts have been polished with mother's polish.
Sorry for the bad resolution, mobile pics wink

Tektro FX20 U-Brake>>
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/276/dsc00046qa2.jpg

Diacompe 990>>
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7332/dsc00048ed4.jpg

Diacompe Tech77's pulls>>
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2203/dsc00043wg0.jpg

Diatech Tech99D's pulls>>
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9991/dsc00044oq3.jpg

Redline hub & abused stem.1 (stem got polished with 800,1200,1500 grit papers. hub with 1500)>>
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/649/dsc00055bu8.jpg

Redline hub & abused stem.2>>
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3929/dsc00049gg2.jpg

ALL parts together.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3858/dsc00056mz8.jpg

At least you get an idea wink
I'm impressed by the results of Caustic Soda. I recommend it to anyone too.

Again, thank you Deme.

Last edited by Duke 01 (2009-03-05 3:41pm)

!Midschool TANK freak!

#33 2009-02-16 6:26pm

BMXfetish
Restricted Member
Website

big_smile

Want To Buy..... Mitsuboshi Comp III (RED & BLUE) yellow label 20"x1.75" tires  IZUMI white/nickle chain   
JP
"Buzzsaw" RED chain tensioners  FEMALE 110lbs 5'8" hot & horny

"NO scratches, dull spots, pitting, dings, rust, chips, bends, cracks, scrapes, dents, bad tastes, "funny" smells, whiny kids, nagging wife, mean boss, scary God, or any other problems..... Only SHINY goodness !!"  lol

#34 2009-02-16 6:26pm

deme
Pro Member
Website

Wow they look great glad I could help.....

#35 2009-02-17 9:27am

Bmx4Life88
Centurion Member
Bikes: 35

I picked up "Zep" Crystal Heat drain opener at Home Depot. It worked awesome on my Hutch hubs but must add a warning!
I used too much 2Nd time around and it started bubbling and heating up wicked fast. I thought it was going to blow lol

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/Dugkitz/Bmx4Life88/bmx003.jpg

here is my hubs after your process and started to polish the rear hub. Thanks so much for this great tip. big_smile

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/Dugkitz/Bmx4Life88/bmx005.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/Dugkitz/Bmx4Life88/bmx004.jpg

Apply this... "Never for money. Always For Love" Our sport/hobby/world would be so much better. WTB- 03-04 Kappa "Starsky" = Kappa given props to an awesome Old school ride...The Hutch Trickstar. Prov 13:3

#36 2009-02-17 9:37am

Bmx4Life88
Centurion Member

Notice the purple Hutch letter in my first picture. This is what was under the original Hutch decals. The sun & this process faded the hubs but left the purple under letter decals untouched.

A reminder when doing this process... Remove all decals, start off with min amount of crystals, then add more if needed.
My hubs got smoking hot, water was bubbling, hubs turned pitch black once removed. I was close by sink so I got lucky & rinsed right away.

Now back to sanding front hub & polishing them both. Thanks again for this awesome thread.
peace,
D

Too much crystals is bad... scary bad. lol

Apply this... "Never for money. Always For Love" Our sport/hobby/world would be so much better. WTB- 03-04 Kappa "Starsky" = Kappa given props to an awesome Old school ride...The Hutch Trickstar. Prov 13:3

#37 2009-02-17 9:49am

deme
Pro Member
Website

The black stuff on the hubs is "smut" the easiest way to get rid of it is with a soft bristle tooth brush. Just wash part off in water while cleaning with the brush.
The smut will always come off but if you let the part dry with it on it will be harder to remove. Thats why I use a 5 gal pail full of water. once the part is stripped I drop it in the pail till all the parts are done and them clean the smut off at my leisure.

#38 2009-02-17 10:43am

Bmx4Life88
Centurion Member

Right on, bucket full of water is perfect.
I should have re-read your thread before dipping them.
That's some serious chemical reaction when over doing amount of crystals. lol

Unfortunately I had some decal residue left on 1 hub. The chemicals did not touch the decal area & was actually approx 1mm higher than rest of hub. So I had no choice but to grind small area with 120 grit at first then worked my way all the way up to scotchbrite pad then will do all my polishing steps.

The smut came off right away with water and tooth brush as you mentioned. thanks again.

deme wrote:

The black stuff on the hubs is "smut" the easiest way to get rid of it is with a soft bristle tooth brush. Just wash part off in water while cleaning with the brush.
The smut will always come off but if you let the part dry with it on it will be harder to remove. Thats why I use a 5 gal pail full of water. once the part is stripped I drop it in the pail till all the parts are done and them clean the smut off at my leisure.

#39 2009-02-17 12:29pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

Nice work smile

Bmx4Life88 wrote:

My hubs got smoking hot, water was bubbling, hubs turned pitch black once removed. I was close by sink so I got lucky & rinsed right away.
Too much crystals is bad... scary bad. lol

lol lol

That's what happened to me too.

I got scared for a moment there, i was thinking it was going to blow or something......parts came out hot and smokin' !!!

!Midschool TANK freak!

#40 2009-02-23 12:16pm

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

I am going to try this on a blotched set of NOS silver anno Araya 7x's and polish them after.

Maybe this weekend at least to strip them...want to get them done 4 Florida in March.  If they turn out good...I am gonna sell both sets of my chrome 7x's.

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

If you are OK with your actions why the concerted effort to hide what happened?

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#41 2009-02-26 1:29pm

JS-44SDS

Well I am in the process of doing it right now and it started bubbling at about 3-4 minutes and so I guess I am good to go.  I am doing it in a plastic storage tote so I have to rotate the rims a few times but it will turn out pretty cool.  smile

LOL Pathetic is having to get a new account because you are afraid of your wife...  Your turn kitten balls ????

Don't screw over those you tell your secrets...its not talkin shit if it's TRUE.

#42 2009-02-26 1:31pm

JS-44SDS

deme wrote:

glad I read this...looks like the tub will be filled so I can clean them 2 nite.

#43 2009-02-26 1:43pm

JS-44SDS

Well its bubbling real well but I do not see the black smut developing at all.  Could this be because my rims were silver anno?   I waited 10-15 minutes and pulled the submerged area out and rubbed the area with a fine scour pad on a sponge gently and it seemed to remove a milky/silver like residue which I would assume is the silver anodizing. 

Chime in guys. smile

#44 2009-02-26 3:17pm

JS-44SDS

No black stuff and the silver anno is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy harder to remove than colors.

#45 2009-02-26 3:27pm

Pa bmx1
Bikes: 1

try to polish.If you polsih and your cloth turns black your through the ano. You will not polish ano.
If you solution was strong enough 15 min per section** should do the trick

Last edited by Pa bmx1 (2009-02-26 3:29pm)

#46 2009-02-26 4:02pm

deme
Pro Member
Website

Pa bmx1 wrote:

try to polish.If you polsih and your cloth turns black your through the ano. You will not polish ano.
If you solution was strong enough 15 min per section** should do the trick

+1 on the polish.
should be good after 3-5 min in the bath.
milky stuff is smut.
like PA said try to polish if you are getting black residue on your cloth you are good to go.

#47 2009-02-26 4:42pm

JS-44SDS

I can see some much shinier areas starting (raw aluminum) but I think "silver anno" may be something like a hard anno because you cannot see the grains of the aluminum through the anodizing and its been in the bath WAY longer than 15 minutes and the solution is stronger than 1/3 cup per gallon.

#48 2009-02-26 7:54pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

i need to do this to araya rims that have clear ano on them any ideas on how i will know it's done?

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#49 2009-02-26 7:59pm

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

hmm i guess i should have read the rest of this thread. so whats the word on clear ano? someone help!

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#50 2009-02-27 9:35am

JS-44SDS

Well I learned an important lesson here...leave the item in too long and this solution too will pit the aluminum too. roll

When doing SILVER RIMS rims learn from my mistakes:

1st get a container large enough to cover them in one shot.  The problem I found was find something flat.  In the end I used a storage tote and ended up with 18-20 gallons of solution.  Thats why I tried the rotation technique.  This maybe fine for colors but for clear/silver anodizing this is NOT the way to go as it is next to impossible to see what you did and did not do.  This also leaves an uneven finish on the item...some parts polished BLACK and some did not.  This gave confused me as how long I was really doing it.  Also CLEAR DOES NOT GIVE OFF THE BLACK SMUT.  That is why I thought this might be a type of hard anodizing.   There for it is very hard to figure out when you're done.  I made a wrong assumption when I saw a charcoal silver coating come off after a prolonged time and assumed this was the anodizing.  It was not...it was aluminum being eaten by the caustic.

2nd Don't assume and don't try something late in the day.  It may bite you in the ass.

3rd When someone tells you it should only take 15-20 minutes to work don't overthink the process...they already did that.

Well looks like I have to lace a set of chrome 7x's as if I try this again is doesn't make dollar sense right now.

Regards,
Scott

Sorry about the unfinished results as I was looking forward to this project.  However, I hope this helps those trying this.

Last edited by JS-44SDS (2009-02-27 9:37am)

Board footer

View Cart →