You are not logged in.

The twin-chain beast...  RSS Feed

#26 2008-12-20 9:37am

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

Re: The twin-chain beast...

how does it ride?

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#27 2008-12-20 10:02am

webflyer
Centurion Member
Bikes: 4

caleb_k21 wrote:

ok cool, i had a haro crank with a bolt hole on both arms for a sprocket..  i just never seen a bike with a left drive. well besides the double witch u did..

Here ya go I love this ride great bike.
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr74/bikebuyer/DSCF7279.jpg

#28 2008-12-20 10:13am

Fox
vet pro
Bikes: 20

thats cool big_smile

#29 2008-12-20 10:14am

webflyer
Centurion Member

By the way Faust that is awsome (thanks for sharing)smilebig_smile
Similar Eastern frame here also the boy rips about on
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr74/bikebuyer/DSCF7294.jpg

#30 2008-12-20 10:26am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

Wow that seat looks like it's seen better days! LOL!

... I haven't been able to ride this bike yet dammit! We got even more snow... I can't even tell the street from the yard anymore... it's pretty thick out there!

Proud member of the rajulio hector de la hondo fan club

#31 2008-12-20 10:43am

webflyer
Centurion Member

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser wrote:

Wow that seat looks like it's seen better days! LOL!

... I haven't been able to ride this bike yet dammit! We got even more snow... I can't even tell the street from the yard anymore... it's pretty thick out there!

I can't recall him complaining about the seat even though there are many here sitting about to replace it. A little snow here yesterday mixed with ice and 3-6 inches more coming tonight:(

#32 2008-12-20 10:44am

mongoosefreek
Primo Freek
Bikes: 8

that is freaking awesome. now i wanna build one lol. but i know i prolly wont find a hub like that. congrats on a kick ass build

Love anything PR1MO.
I mostly like mid/new school bikes/parts.

#33 2008-12-20 11:02am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

mongoosefreek wrote:

that is freaking awesome. now i wanna build one lol. but i know i prolly wont find a hub like that. congrats on a kick ass build

Yeah I have no freakin idea where to get a hub with LHD threads on one side... The Haro Nyquist and Mirra bikes had them in the 14mm 48 spoke heavy duty days, so you might be able to find one that's junked...

#34 2008-12-20 12:51pm

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater
Bikes: 2

i remember when we were tlaking abotu th is in that other thread! lol. dude i wanna ride it. you gottta make it shoot sparks too!

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#35 2008-12-20 12:53pm

apocalypse dude
Pro Memberpro hater

my snafu 13 crankset is ready for LHD straight out the box, so i could do this too just need another chainwheel and freewhee. it would be funnier to rig up some kinda 26 inch rims on a 20 inch frame, monster truck style

THIS IS A 90'S RARE GEM - MR. HOFFMAN, MR. HAWK AND MANY OTHER CELLEBRITIES WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THIS BIKE AMONG THEIR COLLECTION.

#36 2008-12-20 12:58pm

liljspeed
Expert
Bikes: 35

that is wild,you have to take pics.of the neighborhood kids faces as you go by also.their going to have nightmares now.

I need an orange chain.

It is what it is!

#37 2008-12-20 12:59pm

gsxr141
Pro Member
Bikes: 9
Website

man i wanted to do that years ago, but i'm just lazy. that thing kicks ass.

#38 2008-12-20 6:22pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

apocalypse dude wrote:

my snafu 13 crankset is ready for LHD straight out the box, so i could do this too just need another chainwheel and freewhee. it would be funnier to rig up some kinda 26 inch rims on a 20 inch frame, monster truck style

The dual-sided hub is the only hard part to find... it's not technically a "flip flop" because a standard flip-flop hub is RHD threaded on both sides...

Whatever you do with it... it pretty much has to be freaky! I seriously want a banana seat for this one. I'm keeping the build as it is, but a chrome bitch rack with a black banana seat would be tits!

#39 2008-12-20 9:46pm

S&M4Life
AKA Custom05BacktrailX2

I wonder if the duel drive system could hold up to skatepark abuse? Id do it to my Fit am

I'm 23 and loving life! I was gone for a while but I'm back now wink. I'm crazy about S&M and Blk Mrkt stuff! My other hobbies besides bikes are Subaru, Women and daily visits to the gym. 

Twitter:     @SolomonXJ

#40 2008-12-20 9:52pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

Custom05BacktrailX2 wrote:

I wonder if the duel drive system could hold up to skatepark abuse? Id do it to my Fit am

I would think so... I've exploded a few freewheels landing on concrete... perhaps this would displace some of the stress to the other freewheel?

In any case, you would still have one chain/freewheel to get home with!

#41 2008-12-23 2:35am

monkey72
Intermediate
Bikes: 3

The freewheels sound cool... two of them running in stereo just slightly out of phase makes it sound smooth!

if they are slightly out of phase that means the internal pawls arent snatching at the same time so that would mean that drive is only coming from one side at a time not both together. they would need to be in perfect stereo to get true dual drive

still looks friggin cool tho and i still want one lol

I can fix anything... or i can screw it up so badly nobody will EVER fix it...

#42 2008-12-23 2:44am

Thrash
Pro Member
Bikes: 15
Website

looks like an eastern Hercules frame

It's nice to be important but its more important to be nice.
current race rigs:
2012 Yess Pro xxl
2013 Chase 24 xl+

#43 2008-12-23 2:44am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

monkey72 wrote:

if they are slightly out of phase that means the internal pawls arent snatching at the same time so that would mean that drive is only coming from one side at a time not both together. they would need to be in perfect stereo to get true dual drive

Both the freewheels are engaged, so they are both working. The clicks are out of phase slightly as it is free-spinning, but when engaged the phase of the pawls does not matter... same as pedaling with clips, where the pedals are 180 degrees out of phase but both are working at the same time to apply rotational force...

I thought this out fairly carefully before I built it... Everything is measured and dialed in... it's the obsessive-compulsive engineer in me that causes this kind of madness...

#44 2008-12-23 2:46am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

Thrash wrote:

looks like an eastern Hercules frame

Yep... I got it directly from TNT... they made them for Eastern and part of the order was left over, so Mark was selling them on ebay for cheap...

#45 2008-12-23 2:59am

monkey72
Intermediate

monkey72 wrote:

Both the freewheels are engaged, so they are both working. The clicks are out of phase slightly as it is free-spinning, but when engaged the phase of the pawls does not matter... same as pedaling with clips, where the pedals are 180 degrees out of phase but both are working at the same time to apply rotational force...

I thought this out fairly carefully before I built it... Everything is measured and dialed in... it's the obsessive-compulsive engineer in me that causes this kind of madness...

cant compare it to pedal cranks as they are driving the one item together.. the 2 freewheels are separate mechanical items so if the clicks in the freewheels are at different times when spinning then the pawls are dropping over the drive teeth at different times so they are out of phase.. which means when drive is applied the pawls in one might be at the engagement point while the other is not.
that is simple engineering, they would need to be in perfect sync if they are matching freewheels to obtain true dual drive

i'm not bashing you coz i think its a great idea and looks awesome

#46 2008-12-23 3:06am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

monkey72 wrote:

monkey72 wrote:

cant compare it to pedal cranks as they are driving the one item together.. the 2 freewheels are separate mechanical items so if the clicks in the freewheels are at different times when spinning then the pawls are dropping over the drive teeth at different times so they are out of phase.. which means when drive is applied the pawls in one might be at the engagement point while the other is not.
that is simple engineering, they would need to be in perfect sync if they are matching freewheels to obtain true dual drive

i'm not bashing you coz i think its a great idea and looks awesome

There are only "clicks" when the freewheels are not engaged... when the chains pull on them they are both solid to the hub...

The phase of the pawls has no bearing on when they engage. The clicking sounds are out of phase, but the engagement happens at the same time due to the fact that the chains are pulling them in a circular motion simultaneously.

I understand simple engineering. I am an engineer by trade.

#47 2008-12-23 3:10am

monkey72
Intermediate

I understand simple engineering. I am an engineer by trade.

snap

#48 2008-12-23 3:16am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

I see your point though... I drew diagrams to figure this one out. The two gears are probably not carrying the same amount of force as the chain slack will never be perfectly balanced between the two drives. The engagement distance in the freewheels may be slightly different so that one chain may be slightly more slack than the other, but the pawls on both freewheels are engaged. As the load is increased, the pawl springs in the freewheel that is under the heaviest load will bend somewhat and the other side will come under more tension and the force will be somewhat displaced to the other side...

It's kind of like limited slip differential... with not very much slip wink

#49 2008-12-23 3:37am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

Hahaha... now I'll be up all night thinking this over again! tongue

#50 2008-12-23 3:49am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

OK... the acid test:

If I slam the wheel forward into the dropouts so the wheel can not rotate and watch the change in chain sag as I engage and disengage the freewheels by turning the cranks, I should see one chain pull tight as it is engaged while the other chain remains somewhat slack...

If one chain freewheel is engaged and the other is not, there should be a noticeable difference in the upward movement of the chain slack. This would prove the theory that only one freewheel is engaged at a time...

Off to the garage! Dang I sure loves me some science! LOL!

Board footer

View Cart →