You are not logged in.

The twin-chain beast...  RSS Feed

#1 2008-12-20 6:55am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

The twin-chain beast...

I've been collecting parts for this build for a while... I've always wondered what it would be like to have a bike with twin drivetrain.

tonight I got the drivetrain set up.

I used the wheel from a Haro Mirra, which has RHD and LHD threads on the hub... got two matched 16t ACS Fat freewheels LHD/RHD and used Snafu cranks with matching Volume 44t chainrings. Setting the back wheel is really easy! Just pull back until both chains are tight! LOL!

http://www.deanguitars.tv/userpics/lib9/Herc1.jpg

http://www.deanguitars.tv/userpics/lib9/Herc2.jpg

The freewheels sound cool... two of them running in stereo just slightly out of phase makes it sound smooth! It's like a twin-engine airplane. I'm going to spray out the freewheels with WD40 to make them as loud as possible!

This bike weighs a ton! It's like a boat anchor! ... and it's bisexual... I mean bilaterally symmetrical...

Proud member of the rajulio hector de la hondo fan club

#2 2008-12-20 6:58am

That70'sGuy
Bible Thumper
Bikes: 25
Website

Re: The twin-chain beast...

looks like a dragster

1 847 249 5670 shop ask for von never on thursday
playatyourownrisk360@yahoo.com  bmxpert on duty.....
thats 1400 , leading to the safe return of the collection .....
210 264 8937
no law involved , just me my dad and 1400 in cash and you pointing a finger saying its in there [/b]

#3 2008-12-20 6:58am

1pccrank
Pro Member

That is great!

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.

#4 2008-12-20 6:59am

jay brand
Pro MemberHomeless Bikes Nut
Website

That beast need's a bash guard now Faust. lol

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#5 2008-12-20 7:00am

Motleymick
Pro Member"RL" JUNKIE

That's tight!! I've always thought about doing that. How does it ride? Does it feel any different than one chain? Next you should do a 2 wheel drive bike and have one sprocket go to the front wheel. lol

BUYING LESS/SELLING MORE

#6 2008-12-20 7:02am

honda1wheel
Pro Member"Midschool Guru"
Bikes: 18

i need those pedals sweet build man

if you listen to a mod you might get a neutral
looking for
salsa,  jjr,   awesome alloy,  b-ware buzz,  rude concepts,    mountain goat,  mega,  d. wholf,  f&l racing, rola
secret cycles rated r or nc-17,  banke,  ace holeshot,  univega super g,  cardboard lords,  titus frame,  brew bluetick or redbone,
supercross sx-250 carbon fiber, durango rupe,  r.a.d. hornet or phoenix, webco pro xl,  arsonist, renegade racer,

#7 2008-12-20 7:03am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

Motleymick wrote:

That's tight!! I've always thought about doing that. How does it ride? Does it feel any different than one chain? Next you should do a 2 wheel drive bike and have one sprocket go to the front wheel. lol

I haven't ridden it yet... I'm going to take it out on the ice this morning when the sun comes out...

I've just been spinning the cranks with my hand and listening to the freewheels... wow...

There's definitely a lot of resistance in the drivetrain... this thing is far from efficient! LOL!

I want to put a banana seat on it... I need to find a sissy-bar that will bolt on to a 14mm axle...

#8 2008-12-20 7:04am

jay brand
Pro MemberHomeless Bikes Nut
Website

If you are going with a sissy bar you had better get some ape hangers for it.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#9 2008-12-20 7:11am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

http://www.deanguitars.tv/userpics/lib9/Herc3.jpg

I cannibalized the fork, wheels and seatpost clamp from a Haro Mirra. I got the frame from Mark at TNT... according to him, this frame was part of an order that they made for Eastern and the frames never got picked up. The frame looks like a hybrid of a S&M War Pig and a TNT Groundskeeper. The headtube pierces the top and downtube... sort of like a Menstrual... it's a really burly frame and it's built laser-straight! I'd expect nothing less from TNT! The pedals are Brooklyn Shinburgers.... bars are Bully Nudie bars...

I just need to get the brakes set up and it's good to go... until I find that banana seat and sissy bar!

here's the full size pic:

http://www.deanguitars.tv/userpics/lib9/Herc3.jpg

Last edited by Faust Wurstkotzenhauser (2008-12-20 7:13am)

#10 2008-12-20 7:12am

mattygaff
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

I think that is super cool!  Good engineering, too.  Can you get a video of it crankin with sound and post it up?

"MOM!  Throw down some money!  The Ice Cream Man is coming!"  - Eddie Murphy

#11 2008-12-20 7:19am

monkey72
Intermediate
Bikes: 3

that looks so cool... i want one but not so burly lol

I can fix anything... or i can screw it up so badly nobody will EVER fix it...

#12 2008-12-20 7:19am

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

thats nice.  so do some bike only have the sprocket on the left side??? like the bike you got that hub off, you could put the crank on either side?  where did you get the left drive freewheel from?   

im sure the sound affect is awesome..

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#13 2008-12-20 7:21am

oldschoolpete
Intermediate
Bikes: 8

reminds me of the old clem twins setup.... definately cool!!

"this cant be my cheese steak, it has ketchup on it."

#14 2008-12-20 7:25am

stillinthegame
Pro MemberDan's Comp
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 1
Website

i actually did the same thing with a hoffman hub (i call it a flop-flop), it was small thead rhd and lhd, so i used two 13t freewheels and 2 profile imperial chainwheels. looks cool as heck, wish i had kept the setup

I want to apoligize in advance for not reading the entire thread or doing any research whatsoever before i post my comments.

DANSCOMP resident Old School Guru

#15 2008-12-20 7:27am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

caleb_k21 wrote:

thats nice.  so do some bike only have the sprocket on the left side??? like the bike you got that hub off, you could put the crank on either side?  where did you get the left drive freewheel from?   

im sure the sound affect is awesome..

The back wheel came from a Haro bike that was LHD with a ACS Fat Claws "southpaw" freewheel. The hub also has threads on the right side for a normal freewheel so I matched it with a RHD ACS Fat Freewheel. I also matched the chainrings and the chains to keep the tolerances as close as possible. The Snafu cranks have chainring bolts on both arms...

I'll try to get a video clip of the wheel spinning with decent sound... wish me luck.

#16 2008-12-20 7:30am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

stillinthegame wrote:

i actually did the same thing with a hoffman hub (i call it a flop-flop), it was small thead rhd and lhd, so i used two 13t freewheels and 2 profile imperial chainwheels. looks cool as heck, wish i had kept the setup

I wanted to go smaller with the chairings and freewheels, but this hub only takes the standard sized freewheels on both sides... I wanted it to have a pair of 36t S&M chainrings and 13t freewheels... I don't mind though, the 44t Volume chainrings look boss as hell on it.

#17 2008-12-20 7:55am

stillinthegame
Pro MemberDan's Comp
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 1
Website

twin drivetrains and fat squirrels are awesome

I want to apoligize in advance for not reading the entire thread or doing any research whatsoever before i post my comments.

DANSCOMP resident Old School Guru

#18 2008-12-20 7:59am

caleb_k31
BMXer 4 Life
Bikes: 15

ok cool, i had a haro crank with a bolt hole on both arms for a sprocket..  i just never seen a bike with a left drive. well besides the double witch u did..

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#19 2008-12-20 8:04am

freedo
Pro MemberWhite Boy With An Afro
Bikes: 52
For Sale: 3

thats cool

out with the new in with the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile
mongoose decade guru, hit me up with any questions you may have
R.I.P  Autumn Pasquale. May she rest in Peace!
Instagram! @freedo70

#20 2008-12-20 8:08am

oldmetal
Pro Member*Thread Killer-And Proud*
Bikes: 1

That looks great.
It just got me thinking, could it be done on an MTB and what if you put a gear cassette on each side - could you ride a bike that was in two different gears at the same time?
The only downside is you now have two places to catch loose clothing lol

#21 2008-12-20 8:11am

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro MemberR.I.P.

oldmetal wrote:

That looks great.
It just got me thinking, could it be done on an MTB and what if you put a gear cassette on each side - could you ride a bike that was in two different gears at the same time?

The gears have to be matched. I went so far as to use identical parts so that there would be no mismatch between sides... otherwise it would bind up and want to skip teeth... shifting would be a mofo to pull off because both derailleurs would have to be synchronized... but I guess anything is possible...

#22 2008-12-20 8:12am

TODD74
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
Website

thats a first for me! sweet looking!

IF IT HAS SPOKES,I'LL DRIVE IT

#23 2008-12-20 8:21am

oldmetal
Pro Member*Thread Killer-And Proud*
Bikes: 1

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser wrote:

The gears have to be matched. I went so far as to use identical parts so that there would be no mismatch between sides... otherwise it would bind up and want to skip teeth... shifting would be a mofo to pull off because both derailleurs would have to be synchronized... but I guess anything is possible...

I see now, it would be trying to turn each side of the wheel at different speeds. I wouldn't like to try shifting at high speed.
Maybe a single shifter and cable that splits into two cables, both derailleurs would need to be set up precisely though (and stay precise) otherwise it could be dangerous. Ah well, I'll maybe shelve that idea lol

Looks great on your bike though, and it would be cool to see a 26" cruiser or singlespeed with the setup.

#24 2008-12-20 8:23am

S&M4Life
AKA Custom05BacktrailX2
Bikes: 2

lol lol lol I opened this up and started laughing. It looks so AWSOME. I've thought about doing this before but I didn't think it would work because the left side of he frame doesn't have the indents in the frame like the right side does to keep the sprocket from killing the frame. Put up a video it looks so freaking sweet. I might have to try this one day because I have a alex triple wall with a dk hub that you can use either lhd or rhd

I'm 23 and loving life! I was gone for a while but I'm back now wink. I'm crazy about S&M and Blk Mrkt stuff! My other hobbies besides bikes are Subaru, Women and daily visits to the gym. 

Twitter:     @SolomonXJ

#25 2008-12-20 8:46am

Blown04GT
Intermediate
Bikes: 16
Website

That's awesome Ian!!!!!  Can't wait to see a vid of that beast!!!

Needed: S&M Holmes from 97-99 with original decals
PM me with any S&M goods you have for sale.......I might need them big_smile

Board footer

View Cart →