You are not logged in.

My Restoration Project... Step by Step...  RSS Feed

#1 2008-12-18 2:44pm

xtremevert
Pro MemberThe Gate Keeper
Bikes: 16

My Restoration Project... Step by Step...

I've never done a step by step before so here we go.  I bought this frame from tacomaster with big plans to build a 89 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team.  I was going to have it chromed and I'm actually picking up the correct 89 Team decals tonight from the printers.  Then Alex sent me some blue and white 88 Team decals and I've also picked up some 88 pink and white Team decals from AJK Bikes.  So now I'm having to make a decision on what to do.  Haven't decided quite yet.

All I know for sure is that this will be a custom build with my touch of new school, mid school and old school NOS and re-conditioned parts.  Here is a pic (the original from tacomaster's for sale thread).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/xtremevert/91GTPerformerbefore1.jpg

And here it is after I stripped it... at the shop.  The guys were complaining about the fumes while stripping it at work during the day.  tongue  Ooops...

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/xtremevert/StrippedGTframe004.jpg

I will be adding rear 990 mounts and drilling the tube and tapping it for a cable guide/adjuster to be mounted just like on the 87-88 Sport's and Master's which will also require a tack welded cable guide on the down tube for cable routing.  Sweet.  big_smile

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#2 2008-12-18 2:51pm

DOMPHIPPSIO
Pro Member
Website

Re: My Restoration Project... Step by Step...

great start, looking forward to seeing it get colour cool

#3 2008-12-18 2:52pm

tnyvillegas
Museum Addict
Bikes: 14

NICE MAN!

#4 2008-12-18 3:18pm

Charlie Brown
Pro MemberCB Doom
Bikes: 1

Ooooo, this one is going to be fun to watch!  I'm subscribing to this thread!  And the crowd cheers, "Do it! Do it!" yikes

Black Widows - Mean Cows - Outsiders

#5 2008-12-18 4:16pm

Floofy
l'héroïne féminine de GT
Bikes: 10

First, I am very sad to see this happen to such a rare 91!  I personally love the hot lava performers, and I'm shocked that you stripped the paint and decals off that bike!  Why would you use a regular trimoly performer frame to build a PFT?  Completely different bike.  You brought a tear to my eye when I saw the picture of it stripped....another one bites the dust. sad

#6 2008-12-18 4:31pm

acuzerfdw
Sponsored by: JB-Weld
Bikes: 7

Great start! I love seeing step-by-step threads. Make sure to post lots of pics. This is gonna be good!!

I DON'T HAVE ANYMORE BIKES OR PARTS... ALL MY PICS ARE OUTDATED

"The more people I know, the fewer I like." - gaijin

#7 2008-12-18 5:02pm

Charlie Brown
Pro MemberCB Doom
Bikes: 1

Dude, that Hutch head tube pen holder on the work bench is sooo dope!

Black Widows - Mean Cows - Outsiders

#8 2008-12-18 6:40pm

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
Bikes: 18

Floofy wrote:

First, I am very sad to see this happen to such a rare 91!  I personally love the hot lava performers, and I'm shocked that you stripped the paint and decals off that bike!  Why would you use a regular trimoly performer frame to build a PFT?  Completely different bike.  You brought a tear to my eye when I saw the picture of it stripped....another one bites the dust. sad

With all due respect Floofy, you build your bikes the way you like, I build my bikes the way I like, and X here apparently has a very specific vision for this build.  It is neither your place nor mine to denegrate it.  Personally,  I'd never do this.  I would never have bought a GT to begin with.  I would have done it to a Redline... big_smile

avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#9 2008-12-18 6:41pm

gaijin
Pro MemberResident Hutch Hater
Bikes: 18

BTW X, while you're chopping things up, why not put a 1 1/8 steerer tube on those forks?

avatar photo copyright 2012 asklite

Things I need:  Chrome MX-900s and Tech 3 (rear), 1st or 2nd gen finned Mathauser pads with original hardware.

#10 2008-12-18 6:58pm

crash-endo
Bikes: 35

lol restoring....dude what your planning is modifying, thats like restoring a 69 big block vette by putting a wing on the back from a civic.

#11 2008-12-18 8:28pm

xtremevert

Alrighty then, quite the mix of opinions here.  I wasn't expecting some of those responses to tell you the truth.  smile  I didn't see anyone rain on rividudes parade for building this awesome 1990 Performer into this...   http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=100324

Really though, I don't care much because it's just a bike and restoring them, well frankly...it get's boring.  I'm a fabricator at heart and I love creativity.  I love taking something that's really not all that much to look at and making into something completely different.  Doing something nobody else has tried yet.  It will be fun!!!  I'm stoked!!! 

I went to pick up the 89 Team decals today after work and they screwed them up.  The printing was perfect but the clear and white were done backwards!  tongue  They're doing them over.   I'll post pics when they're done.  smile

Last edited by xtremevert (2008-12-18 9:26pm)

My Father once spoke to me and said "The way you look at your bike is the way I see My children, I look past the imperfections and rough surfaces to the beauty of the finished product."

#12 2008-12-18 8:54pm

Floofy
l'héroïne féminine de GT

I agree, X can do what he wants with his builds, as anyone can.  I just stated my opinion that it made me sad to see one of these stripped when it was in such good condition to begin with, that color & year decals aren't seen often and I'd love to have one.  That said, I am anxious to see how it turns out.

#13 2008-12-18 8:58pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
Pro Member"Big Gay Squirrel"

It's not as bad as the guy that peeled the decals off of the Widowmaker... LOL!

Nice start on a cool project! I'm sure it will turn out nice! Lose that coaster brake tab while you are at it... wink

Proud member of the rajulio hector de la hondo fan club

#14 2008-12-18 9:00pm

acuzerfdw
Sponsored by: JB-Weld
Bikes: 7

Let's call this project a restomod!! Part restoration, part modification. Those are my favorite when it comes to cars anyway, so let's see it with a bike here. Go all out, X. Impress us.

I DON'T HAVE ANYMORE BIKES OR PARTS... ALL MY PICS ARE OUTDATED

"The more people I know, the fewer I like." - gaijin

#15 2008-12-18 9:05pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser

I'm sure a few people probably peed their pants when this guy hacked a 32 Ford... but the end-product sure is nice!

http://www.sherline.com/images/32ford.jpg

#16 2008-12-18 9:08pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member

I love the idea, and like Donnie said to each his own. I agree with Faust, lose the coaster tab...and did you give any thought to welding the 990 mounts on the seatstays instead of the chainstays? That way you could run a new school small gear setup and a London mod... big_smile

#17 2008-12-18 9:28pm

xtremevert

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser wrote:

Nice start on a cool project! I'm sure it will turn out nice! Lose that coaster brake tab while you are at it... wink

That's funny you say that because I've been eyeing that sucker up for a week!  I think it's gotta go too!  smile

#18 2008-12-18 9:35pm

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser

xtremevert wrote:

Faust Wurstkotzenhauser wrote:

That's funny you say that because I've been eyeing that sucker up for a week!  I think it's gotta go too!  smile

Either that or go 100% punk and put a coaster brake on it! LOL! You can be the skidmark king!

#19 2008-12-18 9:39pm

xtremevert

bmxerpete wrote:

I love the idea, and like Donnie said to each his own. I agree with Faust, lose the coaster tab...and did you give any thought to welding the 990 mounts on the seatstays instead of the chainstays? That way you could run a new school small gear setup and a London mod... big_smile

Hmm, never thought of that.  Interesting.  My S3 has that set-up.  I'll have to look into that too.  Kinda leaning towards the chainstays though.  I've already got a 37/13 gearing set up for it with flip flop GT Mohawk hubs in mind.

Oh, I came up with a great idea for the GT Power Series crank dilema too.  At my shop we used to use bondo for applying all of our gate spears for a cleaner finish (before press fit spears came out). Sometimes when we get the odd small dent in one of our steel or aluminum extrusion lengths we use bondo to fill in the dent and we sand it down and then it gets powdered over and you can't tell it was even there to begin with.  So I'm going to get some PowerBites and fill in the logo with high strength bondo and powder over them and apply decals in the correct place on the crank arm so you won't be able to see the Primo logo was there at all.  Should look stellar!!!

#20 2008-12-18 9:44pm

bmxerpete
Pro Member

That is cool to know...I've always wondered if bondo would hold up when they bake it and no one has ever been able to answer that for me. Cool...

Those will be the perfect cranks for it no doubt. Can't wait to see this bike done.

#21 2008-12-18 9:47pm

xtremevert

bmxerpete wrote:

That is cool to know...I've always wondered if bondo would hold up when they bake it and no one has ever been able to answer that for me. Cool...

Those will be the perfect cranks for it no doubt. Can't wait to see this bike done.

Yup, high strength auto body filler/bondo works awesome.  Never had a problem with it.  Sticks to aluminum like mad too.  Sometimes we have an accident where the top of a spear get's broken off and we need to pop off the base of the spear from the picket and we seriously have to bang it off with a punch and hammer.  Bonds like crazy.

#22 2008-12-18 10:09pm

joe6187
Pro MemberLast Haro guy from H.K.
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 5

Cant wait to ur master piece cool
BTY, I like this one
Joe
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/joe6187/Temp/Graphic1.jpg

If u understand....U ar my Friend smile

#23 2008-12-18 10:13pm

dookie
Pro MemberKoala Ninja

WOW this is going to be a cool project.  Cant wait to see it step by step.  Can i get a step by step on how you made that Hutch Pen holder.  Ill probably need blue prints too:lol:

Revenge of the Koala Ninja.

#24 2008-12-18 10:16pm

xtremevert

dookie wrote:

WOW this is going to be a cool project.  Cant wait to see it step by step.  Can i get a step by step on how you made that Hutch Pen holder.  Ill probably need blue prints too:lol:

The before picture is from tacomaster's shop and that's his Hutch headtube pencil holder.  Atleast I believe it's a Hutch headtube.

#25 2008-12-19 2:59pm

KevinGT
Centurion Member
Bikes: 2

I think the original color is cool too.  I'd have kept it, but it isn't my bike.  I like the stock bikes and the modified bikes.  There's room for both.

WANTED:  White GT seat

Board footer

View Cart →