1984 Skyway T/A
My 1st REAL race bike. Loving it!
I decided I want to build a real racer to get the experience of riding one since I always rode freestyle bikes. Decided to go with a TA since I have quite the StreetBeat collection and this one came up as f/f blasted raw on eBay. I thought to myself I will only buy it if the date is 4-84, since my orange Beat is 4-85, sure enough it is stamped 4-84.
My initial thoughts were since it was a blank canvas I will have done a bit differently with the Skyway blue and then use grey parts as an homage to my NOS 87 Beat I had to part with not long ago. The color matching was not going how I wanted and I decided to have it powdered white like the og color. Went with a black & white scheme to be different from the rest of the same red/white/blue or red/chrome/blue TAs you always see. I did throw in a bit of red to match the red in the pads, though.
Hope you like it, I am very happy with the results and I now see 1st hand why the TA is a beloved part of BMX history. Very slick, clean look with the tear-drop tubing and USA made. RAD!
I do not have the money to do everything I would like to do with this build, someday, but for now I wanted to get some good parts on there to see what it feels like to ride one of these you could have seen on a track bitd. Not cheap parts but not crazy expensive parts. Just good parts mostly all are USA or Japan made from the 80s with some retro parts mixed in, tastefully. :)
Thanks for looking! HERE is the build thread.
- Skyway TA f/f stamped USA 4-84 (custom anthrocite decals)
- Skyway Pro bars (2015 re-issue)
- Tuf Neck Pro Model stem (restored)
- Tange MX2 HS (re-issue)
- Suntour HS lock (og)
- Tioga Bear Trap BB-170BT (nos)
- Sugino Spindle (84 dated)
- Sugino Maxy Cross 170mm cranks (restored)
- Sugino metal crank caps (nos)
- Sugino 44t chainring (restored)
- Sugino chainring bolts (nos)
- Suntour 16t freewheel
- Izumi 3/32 chain
- Skyway Tuff pedals (og)
- Skyway Pro Tuff pads (nos with Kool Stop fins)
- Dia-Compe MX tech3 lever (0483 stamped)
- Dia-Compe MX1000 brake (og 83 stamped)
- Dia-Compe brake cable (841219D stamped)
- Dia-compe MX clamp (og 80s)
- Tioga layback seatpost (restored)
- Kashimax Aero seat (re-issue)
- Suzue hubs/Araya rims (from 83)
- Panaracer Knarler Knobby 20x1.75 tires (Natsukashi re-issue)
- Skyway dice valve caps
- A'me Unitrons (re-issue)
Submitted by fairlyodddad