Thou shalt not covet another's bike... well I always wanted the Malibu Mint Mongoose Decade that the older kid down the street had, (it may have been the blue decade). And after many ebay watch notifications I finally pulled the trigger on an original frame, fork, bars, seat post/clamp, and Spin Tech neck.
All the work I didn't realize I was getting into, in retrospect was actually fun and therapeutic. Instead of spending a couple hundred extra for a complete, I bought it with many missing pieces and rusty scratches all over (see picture).
My list for era correct pieces turned into that extra hundred or two. The de-rusting and touch-up painting turned into many many hours.
With the help of a local BMX shop in Richmond, VA, Powers Bike Shop
, I obtained two very dirty white Skyways, a white chain, new brake cables/casings, vans white shoe brake pads, freewheel, white grips, some pegs, and help knocking loose a seized stem.
Extra special help with the project came from reading a combination of forum posts and researching loads of pictures found here at bmxmuseum!
White tires with pink bead - stolen from a cousins throwaway wal-mart bike.
White pedals - ordered of ebay
Pink dice - ordered from ebay
and parts i took of a Schwinn Freeform EX:
White "Yo" seat
Dia Compe White/Hot Pink - front and rear brakes with levers
ACS rotor and stem (the spin tech that came with it was missing the lever and some other pieces)
Crank and Chain Wheel (which I flipped so the "Predator" writing only shows from the opposite side) plus the guts (used new bearings and grease)
The biggest debate I had was if I should get a match code and have a paint shop re spray it and then order a new sticker set or for me to just touch-up the rust spots with my own paint.
After spotting other bikes on here that were re-painted, none of them really look like the original Malibu Mint color. What i did won't win me any awards for paint finish, but without super close speculation you can't really see the touch up differences. I sanded and killed all the rust as best as I could. Re primed all the spots with gray metal model paint. Then purchased a yellow, blue and white to mix my own "malibu mint" which I would have to do many times for repeat coats. Finally a new gloss top coat, and hopefully there will be no return of the rust.
In trying to make little lessons for my kids and finding the time to work on this bike it probably took around 4-5 months to get back to what you see now.
As soon as the warmer weather hits I will be riding. Though I do need to redo the rear brake line so it won't snag the top of the front brake when doing a barspin.