1997 Dyno Compe
1997 Dyno Compe restored in an old school throwback with 87 Pro Compe Team decals. This entire project was all to prove to my wife that I could build a bike without buying any parts whatsoever.
I acquired this bike along with a few others from a Cleveland city theft recovery auction.
My wife got annoyed with the amount of BMX in the garage, and because I kept buying bikes & parts.
So I made a bet with her that I could build a complete bike with only parts I already have. This bike is the result of that bet, however as of today (10.14.22) I still have to finish brakes, pads & gyro, or spintech (depending on which cables I have currently).
This bike is a random hodge podge of parts, so purists might want to leave now.
FYI I do not care if my bikes are "as they came" on the showroom. When I was riding actively, I never wanted my bike like it came from the bike shop. I always wanted to add something new and I did not care how I got it lol.
So that's the mindset I use in building my bikes. It also helps in saving some $ lol
With that said, my builds will be what I think looks cool, and is era appropriate. I realize this bike stretches the era part but in the end idgaf, it looks awesome to me.
All Powdercoating done by Myers Coatings in Canton, OH.
**** The pic with the GT Rebound decals is what I started with from the Cleveland theft recovery auction****
(Obviously the GT Rebound (MTB) decals were an attempt by the thief to obscure the bike)
- 97 Dyno Compe
- Repop Black Skyways w/ OS Suntour NOS freewheel
- SE blackwall blue tires
- Generic NOS flip down pegs
- Fake GT NOS frame standers (incorrect GT stamp on stander face)
- GT 3 piece 8 spline crank (arms powdered black, allen bolts powdered yellow on heads)
- Fake GT cheesegrater chain ring powdercoated blue
- Genuine Odyssey Rx3 levers powdercoated yellow
- Odyssey seatpost clamp powdered blue with allen & nut yellow
- Repop 87 Pro Compe Team decals I got on trade
- Genuine Dyno Pretzel bars - repop
- KCS Yellow link chain 1/8
- Repop fake GT Mallet stem
- MX blue seat (from Craig Morrow @ Bicycle Heaven)
- Original Gyro is in powder now, but trying to find pieces to my old Spintech stem as well.
- OG ODI Mushroom Ron Wilkerson grips (not installed yet - stained so I'm dying them this weekend)