You are not logged in.

Anderson Avalanche Semi-Replica  RSS Feed

#1 2009-02-09 4:40pm

PlanetX
Expert
Bikes: 47
Website

Anderson Avalanche Semi-Replica

This bike is based on the bike Richie Anderson raced on in 1979 and that was featured in the Dec. 1979 issue of BMXA in an article called The Complete Racer. I dug it then as I do now. An Anderson Avalanche was high on my list of Holy Grails and I honestly didn't think I'd ever find one. I got lucky last summer and a guy not far from me had one for sale. Took a while for me to get it, but I did in November. To this day, this one is the only one I have ever seen in real life.

I'm still looking for a Patterson frame pad, one OG Anderson Avalanche sticker and headbadge and some OG whilte Redline Microline forks.

This bike has two builds. Normally it looks like this so I can ride it comfortably, but I can swap the bars and seatpost in a few minutes to make it more like RA's bike. Here are the pics. The spec is below.

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel1.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel2.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel3.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel4.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel5.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAWithBigWheel6.jpg

http://www.houseofbamboo.net/Media/Bikes/AAArticle.jpg

Frame: 1979 Anderson Avalanche (wrong stickers)
Fork: Early Redline w/welded end caps (I actually bought this for the day when I had an Anderson Avalanche.)
Headset: Frankenstein schwinn, Tange and Hatta parts
Stem: Pro Neck
Bars: First-Gen GT Pro (OG finish)/Redline Microline V-Bar (OG finish)
Saetpost: First-Gen GT Layback/Fluted alloy
Saddle: Kashimax MX
Seatclamp: Suntour
BB: Sugino
Cranks: Campy Strada 170 w/Sugino, drilled, 51T chainring, Campy chainring bolts, one Campy crank cap
Pedals: Helix with Reedy cages
Chain: Regina Drilled
Wheels: Araya 7b front, Araya 20 x 1 1/8" rear, Sunshine hubs, new Shimano 18T freehweel (Richie used a 19T.)
Tires: Kenda 1.75 front, Swallow rear
Brakes: Weinmann 750 center-pulls with Kool Stop Continental pads, Campy cable clamps Shimano DX Lever/Haro Handle
Grips: A'me Rounds(new)
Others: Patterson Handlebar Pad (OG), Hunt Wild number plate

Last edited by PlanetX (2009-02-09 4:41pm)

Bikes owned 1978-1989: '78 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36, '78 Redline Proline, '77 Redline MX-II, '79 Thruster, '79 Torker, '77 Roger DeCoster, '80 JMC, '80 Fuji Feather, '81 Boss (STOLEN!), '82 Hutch Pro, '82 Patterson, '83 GT Pro, '83 Profile Champ Pro

#2 2009-02-09 4:42pm

boxline69
Redneck on a Skyway
Bikes: 15

Re: Anderson Avalanche Semi-Replica

I love it! Great Paty Michael! tongue

You Can't Fix Stupid
Need VDC Changa Fork!! and Monkey Bars!!

#3 2009-02-09 5:03pm

Tonioseven
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2
Website

That's a pretty cool build! cool

www.tonioseven.com
Enjoy the ride; worry not about the fall

Yep, bmx for life, or until they kick me out of the old folks home for power sliding into Mrs. Wilson's oxygen machine. mikestevens

#4 2009-02-09 5:25pm

FLA ASSASSIN
Centurion Member
Bikes: 5

GREAT JOB!!IT'S INTERESTING THE GEARS HE WAS RUNNING WAY BACK WHEN.THANKS FOR THAT TIDBIT.AGAIN GREAT JOB.

#5 2009-02-09 8:26pm

PlanetX
Expert
Website

Thanks. I dig this bike. It rides awesome. I need a better BB though. The spindle is too flexy.

I'd love to ask Richie what the 51T was all about. I have some theories about a lot of the stuff on that bike, but no way to confirm it. His bike has the brake mounted on the chainstays. The frame has no seat-stay brake bridge. Very clean and cool looking. I wonder if it was flexier that way though. Maybe not for a smooth 12-year-old.

Bikes owned 1978-1989: '78 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36, '78 Redline Proline, '77 Redline MX-II, '79 Thruster, '79 Torker, '77 Roger DeCoster, '80 JMC, '80 Fuji Feather, '81 Boss (STOLEN!), '82 Hutch Pro, '82 Patterson, '83 GT Pro, '83 Profile Champ Pro

#6 2009-02-10 5:12am

trktwo
Nature boy
Bikes: 4

awesome, that thing screams old school quality.  that drivetrain is sweet. those brakes cool

Last edited by trk2ajk (2009-02-10 5:12am)

#7 2009-02-11 9:04pm

PlanetX
Expert
Website

trk2ajk wrote:

awesome, that thing screams old school quality.  that drivetrain is sweet. those brakes cool

Thanks. I was thinking about putting an NOS hollow-pin Regina Extra America chain on it. With the 52/18 gearing, it's the only BMX bike I have that it will go on. It's a sick chain and might be extra cool. This chain is a regular Regina Extra Record chain.

I love this bike. Rides so nice.

#8 2015-04-11 1:12pm

woodsidebikeshop
Pro Member
Bikes: 16

WOW!! I had the nightmare of having to race this bike, in open class NBA days....
Picture the scene: Aptos High School, 1979. I'm vintage 1964, 13x class NBA. Ronnie Anderson, Brian Patterson. Bigger than life, both wearing the same factory colors, PATTERSON RACING!! Me, on my PR Centry racing for Family Bike Shop Redwood City. Not a bad run in the regular class motos, fighting my way into the semis and mains....

Open class: those two guys and then throw in the younger and very VERY fast Richie. Talk about the Malachie Crunch! 3 Patterson dudes in the SAME MOTO!!! WTF?! Had to run 3 motos that day as usual in NBA, I'm in 3rd behind Ronnie and Brian (back then Ronnie would beat Brian nearly every time) Richie was hitting my back wheel over and over!!! What a great day of racing!! I'm thinking Man don't take out my spokes Richie! Some things you just don't forget..... every weekend was like a national back then.

I have to tell these stories here, so I will. I remember Mr. Anderson, with a little book he carried around, secret notes about gearing and straight away lengths and rocket science calculations (all my buddies talked about the book, never got to look in there.... just knew it was rocket science factory secrets that made the Andersons so damn FAST) I would always check out their bikes. What made Ronnie so fast?! Must have been that HUGE 52 he was pushing. He must be strong.... I'm strong and only have a 44 on my bike. After a while I figured out he had a 19 on the back, so the same ratio as 44-16. I needed to try this, had to deal with Ronnie from my early days of racing. Guess what?! It felt GREAT! 52-19. Still couldn't  beat Ronnie. Anyway, I have to stop talking and go fix some clunkers. I'll be bringing up this gearing thing again, fun stuff.

Love this bike, and it took my right back to the Aptos High School track, oh yeah and Vallejo, and Friday nights at Hayward.

Zoran

If a big hammer won't fix it, more money will...
z

#9 2017-12-11 12:35pm

Yungavalanche80
Museum Newbie

Hey i have an avalanche what dixe and kind of bb did u use

#10 2018-01-08 1:40pm

Yungavalanche80
Museum Newbie

what size was that sugino bb used for ur bike? Ima asking because i have an avalanche also, A0028 to be exact however i have campagnolo record stradas in the 180mm lenght. currently i am using a cartridge bb 127.5mm with two 1.8 mm spacers on the drive side it works but its not right .... Please help

Board footer

View Cart →