80's Profile, Hutch, Patterson, SE Bars  RSS Feed

#1 2017-11-14 4:30pm

its-all-good
AdminDon't Cheers Me Bro
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 373
Website

80's Profile, Hutch, Patterson, SE Bars

OK So I got these bars. Posted a name it thread. Most people say these are Profile bars. Some say Patterson. Some say SE. Got a pm from someone saying Robinson bars.
I'm not 100% sure myself. Maybe you know. Have old GT sticker that has been on for a long time.
Link to name it thread http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 46&p=1
Anyways they are for sale here and now. Light weight CR-MO bars with no knurling. Cross bar is 5/8" wide. Uncut (You can see chrome on the ends) at 27" wide. Rise is 9".
Bars are used and show some wear. Chrome is a little dull in spots. Also has some small dents on the underside of the right side.
250.00 shipped anywhere in the USA. Call dibs and pm for paypal. I can ship overseas but will cost you the shipping charges.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91115a0b8a1abd.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91125a0b8a1a0e.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91135a0b8a2396.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91145a0b8a0461.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91155a0b8a098a.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91165a0b89fe41.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91175a0b8a1cb9.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf91185a0b8a2b24.jpg

#2 2017-11-14 4:33pm

saskbmx
Pro Member

Re: 80's Profile, Hutch, Patterson, SE Bars

Damn these bars are tight! cool

** The Bmx Community Does Not Tolerate Scammers, Liars, Thieves, And Fruad. This Is A No Scam Zone**

#3 2017-11-14 5:01pm

Pattersonlove
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

They definitely look like Patterson bars but should be 28" wide. GT bars have 3/4" crossbar. Not profile. Nice bars.

#4 2017-11-14 5:26pm

NORCAL BOYZ
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
Website

Patterson bars have a 8/3/4  rise though.  cool

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/21855/dscf27835a0cf8b189.jpg

Last edited by NORCAL BOYZ (2017-11-15 6:32pm)

#5 2017-11-14 9:13pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 2

GT decal is on the wrong location to be original.  Decals were applied on the riders side right vertical part of tubing, just below the x bar.

Ok width is agreed upon, rise on the other hand is not.  I differentiate them as: the distance from stem tube base to x bar height at top and bar height being to the top most point, with front plane of the bars standing vertically on the floor; the front plane being made by the rhomboid shape created by the junction of the x bar ends and the u shape of the main bar tubing of the bars.  Which can be positioned vertically by say flattening said plane up against a wall for example.  Then measuring both the described distances.

Point being that rise means top of x bar and height means overall topmost point of the bars (usually found at the grip area). 

So what are the ht and rise based on said definitions?  I dont intend to be OCD or the authoritative source for those barc specs.  Just being detailed in the interest of precision and eliminating confusion.

Thanks
Peace

Last edited by LaughnJar (2017-11-14 9:16pm)

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it.  The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he...He walked on down the hallway, baby"

#6 2017-11-14 10:36pm

troynlori
Pro Member"Pedal Peddler"
For Sale: 109

Rise has nothing to do w crossbar....

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#7 2017-11-14 11:58pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

Actually in one of my old school magazines BMXActiom of Plus there is a specific reference to rise.  And the author defines it as the distance from bottom of stem tube to the top of x bar.  I'll find the reference, take a pic of it and paste it up in this thread for all to see.

And Señor Sliderule, had I not had possession of said reference your reply is about as helpful as a my wife saying "you didn't do that right" when I habe turned the water back on after sweating some pipe and still have water spraying out of part of the joint, lol!!! Pitvsecskimim the game boss, what is it in reference too and what is your source for said definition?  An abacus!?  Lololol.  Just friendly fun bro.  But I'd still like to know what you say the term references.  Please cite your source as well.  Curious that it may have changed since the 80's.

Lay it on me brotherman
Peace

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it.  The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he...He walked on down the hallway, baby"

#8 2017-11-15 6:37am

troynlori

Sorry Al I'm stuck on a phone and I hate using my tyrannosaurus hands on those.  So anyhow in engineering you have the term "characteristic dimension"  (google it). An most important singular dimension of a multidimensional item that best describes the behavior of the item using only some of the information.  Width and rise are characteristic dimensions.  The behavior of a bicycle is very much a function of the location of the grips but hardly of the crossbar.  Why would any rider want to know the location of the crossbar before knowing the location of the grips?  They wouldn't.

I never substantiated my point with data.  I don't have to because soon others will dogpile this thread with said reference.  I just want you to see the logic behind what you will soon witness.

Sorry OP if this is unwanted conversation in your sale.  GLWS.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#9 2017-11-15 10:00am

Flapper
Pro Member

Yeah. What troynlori said.

Wanted: Pro Class 6 Mongoose Decade Pro rims in good shape..
Bontrager B29 cruiser bars..Kona Kuku decals.

#10 2017-11-15 10:37am

Heelz2315
Pro Member

I can't tell if these are Patterson or not....

#11 2017-11-16 2:42pm

its-all-good
AdminDon't Cheers Me Bro
Website

Price drop $200.00
Picture of rise measuring.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf92015a0e1453af.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/dscf92025a0e144ce1.jpg

#12 2017-11-17 1:51am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

Actually, I pulled a brain hamstring which led to faulty recall of having read in an actual definition of handlebar rise as denoted in a bike test article circa 83-84.  But my mistake was recalling the precise definition.  And I have never read another member use the reference correctly based on the information that I managed to locate.  Because there is still a significamt difference between the BMXAction article's precise definition of rise, and how every single member comment and description I have ever read that involved the term.  THAT IS what I believe is of greater importance.  Because of all that I have read from members and others, not once did I read rise defined like this:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/121684/jpeg_20171117_034228_12583342545a0eaf53f4.jpg

And at center line of said locations, that means the descriptions have all been at least an entire inch off when referring to rise. 

I'm not looking to be right, but the right information is what I am looking for.  My bad for faulty memory. I just hope that I habe provided some solid guidance on the topic.

Peace

#13 2017-11-18 1:49am

Mr. Cotner
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 65

Measuring from top of bar to top of stem tube bar is easier then measuring center to center, that’s how I do. Some great info in this thread.   GLWS.

Reliving child hood 2 wheels@ A time, 1983 quadangle please !

Buy it now or Make offer on most items for sale.

#14 2017-11-18 5:15am

troynlori

LaughnJar wrote:

Actually, I pulled a brain hamstring which led to faulty recall of having read in an actual definition of handlebar rise as denoted in a bike test article circa 83-84.  But my mistake was recalling the precise definition.  And I have never read another member use the reference correctly based on the information that I managed to locate.  Because there is still a significamt difference between the BMXAction article's precise definition of rise, and how every single member comment and description I have ever read that involved the term.  THAT IS what I believe is of greater importance.  Because of all that I have read from members and others, not once did I read rise defined like this:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … af53f4.jpg

And at center line of said locations, that means the descriptions have all been at least an entire inch off when referring to rise. 

I'm not looking to be right, but the right information is what I am looking for.  My bad for faulty memory. I just hope that I habe provided some solid guidance on the topic.

Peace

Alan....long pause staring at computer screen - "thinking how to say this?".....that is exactly the definition everyone is using.

As Mr. Cotner said, you can really measure from the top of the grip tube to the top of the stem tube because handlebars are 7/8" diameter in both places, meaning the centerline is shifted by 7/16" in both places and the difference is made up.  The only technicalities I see are that "centerline of grip area" leaves room for interpretation.  You see if you follow the axis, the grip area has upsweep and backsweep.  So one could measure from the end tip, laying flat on the face or laying upside down - it makes a difference and one could measure about 3" inward (center of grip area) and it will make a difference again.  But! again this is characteristic dimension for differently shaped handlebars, so all of that is non-sense and exactly what its-all-good did above is the commonly accepted and used interpretation of what your article says.

The real mystery here is why this man can't get $200 for his Profile bars.

#15 2017-11-18 6:23am

dan77
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Dibs on the probably are Profile bars for $200

Paid...

Last edited by dan77 (2017-11-18 12:22pm)

Looking for a small Schwinn Homegrown frame.
Pair of Spurs tickets to most home games for sale or trade for 80's BMX or some MTB

#16 2017-11-18 9:10am

its-all-good
AdminDon't Cheers Me Bro
Website

cool

#17 2017-11-18 1:33pm

Prunebot
rajulio hector de la hondo
Website

Topic was marked as Sold. This post is added to mark the time it was moved.

nate's Lover!!!

Board footer

View Cart →