You are not logged in.

Incorrect info on museum.  RSS Feed

#1 2017-10-10 6:50am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Incorrect info on museum.

I wasn't sure where to put this but it's kinda important. I was Googling around for the correct spec of the old bike I am about to build and I stumbled across this.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/154/?pg … &d=asc

I don't know who wrote it but tbh? it's completely inaccurate and being autistic makes it bother me more than it probably should. I really don't know who wrote it or where it came from but it's just so.. wrong. Let me refer to this piece of it, in italics if I can do that on my laptop..

By the time you get to the Ultra Burner however, things move up a gear. Araya 7X rims, Suntour loose bearing hubs, Sugino one-piece chro-moly cranks and spyder with alloy chainring and Suntour power handlebar stem were pretty trick for a bike bought in Halfords. The frame was the same steel frame as the Burner (but with a different finish) but the forks were chrome Tange TX1200W items, though (I think) still made from steel and not chro-moly. Alloy V handlebars and budget, but genuine, dia-compe brakes complete the Ultra Burner.

As I say I don't know who wrote this, and no offence to them as they were probably just trying to help but putting facts about a company on a museum of all places with doozies like "I think" are not too clever.

Firstly I can tell you now, no stock mk1 burner came with anything alloy on it at all apart from the stem which was SR IIRC (again I am not stating cold facts here it could have been worse lol) and the V bars were not alloy they were steel. It was all steel.

Then it states that the Ultra Burner was made from the same steel. But this is woefully incorrect.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/41840/1984catbikespec59dccf37e5.jpg

As can be seen from the genuine spec sheet the standard burner was steel. Heck, they all were up to the Chrome Burner. Carbospec 23 was just Raleigh's posh name for it. Then they were partially cro-mo. The Super Burner was also partially cro-mo.

However, as we can see the Super Tuff Burner, Ultra Burner and Aero Pro burner were all 100% Crome moly. I know this, because I've had an Ultra Burner frame before and it weighed nothing. I've also had a blue MK1 regular Burner and it weighed a ton.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

Skyways for show, spokes for go.

#2 2017-10-10 8:05am

notslo
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 5

Re: Incorrect info on museum.

No worries, friend! I'm sure there are more examples of this across the museum. I seriously doubt there was any intent to publish incorrect info, I think most of our memories are becoming cloudy from that far back.

Appreciate you pointing this out! Maybe a mod can help update the original post?

I don't have a signature

#3 2017-10-10 8:10am

Hobbes12
AdminKitty Is Watching...
Bikes: 37
Website

I can change it...

Do a write up & I can put it in...

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max ELF Fit GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#4 2017-10-10 8:13am

MotomonsterBmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

Thanks for shedding some light and bringing in the correct info, Very nice catch.

Relocating...Downloading...

#5 2017-10-10 10:44am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

Hobbes12 wrote:

I can change it...

Do a write up & I can put it in...

Dude seriously I would, but I think I worked out why the guy said "I think". Check this.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/41840/brochure-outside59dd0678b3.jpg

And then you look inside...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/41840/brochure-inside59dd068cbf.jpg

Da fuq? The weird thing is on the frame itself it just says Ti. At first I took this literally, and figured that Raleigh may have even used Titanium. Thing is, I dug a little deeper and the info just conflicts. However, as I said I have owned a UB frame and seriously it is the lightest BMX frame I ever had. You could literally hold it from the head tube on one finger easily. I had a MK1 burner in blue and it was a tank. hmm

I will continue to dig !

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

#6 2017-10-10 11:30am

Hobbes12
AdminKitty Is Watching...
Bikes: 37
Website

Get all the info you can get wink

hobbes1278@gmail.com
Auburn Blue Max ELF Fit GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE WTP

#7 2017-10-10 11:44am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

Hobbes12 wrote:

Get all the info you can get wink

Will do man. Also, if you look at the spec of the bikes.. The Ultra is 2kg lighter than the standard Burner.

Board footer

View Cart →