How to remove Anodizing from faded parts.  RSS Feed

#26 2008-03-04 8:04pm

BridgeCity

Re: How to remove Anodizing from faded parts.

i just put enough water to cover the parts, then sprinkle the lye on them, it works quite rapidly and doesn't take much.

easyoff if you like.  a big can of lye is about 3 bucks that'll last forever. easy off is probably a lot more for much less.

#27 2008-03-05 12:28pm

WheelyBoy
Bikes: 1

BridgeCity wrote:

i just put enough water to cover the parts, then sprinkle the lye on them, it works quite rapidly and doesn't take much.

easyoff if you like.  a big can of lye is about 3 bucks that'll last forever. easy off is probably a lot more for much less.

OK thanks. I'll probably try the oven cleaner first and see how that goes. If it doesn't get it good enough, I'll try the Lye. smile

Mike

87 Haro Team Sport - Restoration Project Underway

#28 2008-03-09 9:40am

Resurrector
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
For Sale

Very helpful information here guys- thanks

...Why so serious?

#29 2008-03-09 9:52am

OLDSCHOOLBMXER67
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale

easy off oven cleaner.

#30 2008-03-09 6:46pm

BridgeCity

I hear Easy Off as a solution frequently so it was tried.

It may be adequate for very small items like seat clamps but it is NOT good for things with large surface area like rims. It isn't powerful enough so it leaves a partial ano coating that is very tough to sand/polish off.

For proper completion of a job at a good price, Lye appears to be far superior.

note the white residue. this is partial ano and not soft enough to easily polish off. (polished area on the right side for comparison)
the process smelled and very messy.
I wouldn't recommend this process unless you live alone.  smile

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/m5h5m/EasyOff.jpg

Last edited by BridgeCity (2008-03-10 6:26am)

#31 2008-03-09 7:07pm

jayoldmanbmx
"King of Scores"
Bikes: 7
Website

nice tips there   was thinking of trying some of that metal cast paint on some cheap builds   thanks

KSTF = King Size Tripple Fat      remember change happens    & yes i keep some stuff    I SELL OLD BMX lol    FACEBOOK ME   JASON SOUZA ( i am the guy jumping a bmx bike  go figure)  VERY IMPORTANT!!    I DONT HAVE PAYPAL  I ONLY TAKE US POSTAL M.O. OR GOOD OLD CASH     LOOK FOR UPCOMING WEBSITE BLOG SOON

#32 2008-03-09 8:31pm

Aftermath
Bikes: 3

Great info here, I'm going to strip some DX cranks and polish them as is.

So do I need to seal the alloy surface with a clear top once the paint has been gotten off and they are polished or do I just polish and leave?

Looking for original Floval Flyer Frame set Decals

#33 2008-03-10 6:29am

BridgeCity

here is an example of a polished powerdisc.  This is almost 20 years after it was polished.
If you want to keep the mirror like finish, a topcoat would be good.  Something that won't scuff off with use would be good.  A clear powdercoating would be optimal.

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/image/gtold_lg.jpg

#34 2008-03-10 1:39pm

BridgeCity

Here was my experimentation with blue.
On flat surfaces like a stem it goes on in one light coat.
Parts with edges like the pedals was quite difficult to get the color even as the slightest change in thickness darkens it up.

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/pandaquad2_copy0_lg.jpg

#35 2008-04-02 9:58pm

GTMark
Bonded by Blood

OLDSCHOOLBMXER67 wrote:

easy off oven cleaner.

i just had to do this for skywayray after seeing his rim, i spent $4.59 on the way home. this is how i always did it, picked it somewhere when i was 14-15 stripping suntour black pedal cages that just didn't match red/blue/chrome. done it ever since, bright anno on car trim too. don't get the good smelling stuff, get the heavy duty.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy1.jpg
i slip a plastic bag over cardboard and soak it on top, it was 47 degrees at the time, no heat.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy2.jpg
here's after 40 min
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy4.jpg
it turns the color black, i use a brillo pad soaked in lemon joy so it isn't too rough. this was a 2 minute scub
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy5.jpg
here's after 15, i could have broke out the toothbrush...
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy8.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/mathisco/easy9.jpg
my friend is getting a batch of blue anno done, so i will have him buff and throw in. yes, bridgecity, the can says contains lye, right on. there you go ray, super easy.

Why take the bus when you can fly!

#36 2008-04-03 9:10am

skywayray-banned
Banned

Thanks GTMark..i looked around and the "easy-off" here is different from the ones you got, it's in liquid form and doesnt come in compressed can, kinda pinkish..it's called "easy off bang"!. I don't know why the "bang" is added. I'll look around the higher end hardware stores. I don't think the bang will work.
Easy off easy off easy off easy off easy off easy off easy off........

#37 2008-04-11 12:26pm

poorboy
Museum Addict
Bikes: 21

i used krylon x metals to do my ano. it left a glossy finish. any of those other metal paints leave a more true ano look?   thanks     tim

#38 2008-04-11 12:49pm

skywayray-banned
Banned

Wheelyboy, after alot of advice from BridgeCity and GTMark, i finally got some strong oven cleaners, the spray comes in foam so you don't even need a tub to soak the rim, just spray on the inner sides of the rims, wait for a few minutes and scrub it off with a wire brush and it's done. I got the foam oven cleaner by luck cuz i was actually looking for EasyOff but i can't find them. Look under Johnson & johnson products, it's called Mr Muscle. Warning, do it outside the housecuz the fumes choke, made me drink so much water that night  i had to pee all the time and couldn't sleep cuz i did it in the kitchen and left the house (the other way round) I've not taken pics of the results yet but i've got to thank GT Mark and Bridge City, these are the two guy you should go to when it comes to deanodization...is there such a word? tongue

#39 2008-06-06 8:34am

Endorific
Expert

Good info here.  I used the advice to re-do a seatclamp I wanted red. 3 coats was too dark, so I had to re-strip it and do 2 coats.  Only problems was the finish isn't very durable, it easily scratches off.  Also it seemed to dry slightly rough.  I solved the rough finish problem by baking it on with a heatgun which smoothed it out and surprisingly made it look more real.  For the durability issue I went to my favorite durable clear coat ( which I used when I redidi my Kitchen cabinets which stands up to constant daily abuse), Minwax Polycrylic spray.  It s a fast drying water-based clear spray that is part acrylic part polyurethane, and it doesn't yellow like the clear coat I used to use.  You can get it Home Depot or Lowes and the semi-gloss looks pretty good, but you can get satin or gloss if you want to expiriment.  Satin looked too dull for my taste.

I'm so old school...I still call it a gooseneck.

#40 2008-06-06 9:55am

skywayray-banned
Banned

Do you have a pic of the Minwax poly spray? sounds like fun to me. I like everything glossy.It's true what you said, cheap clear coats not only turns yellow, at times it even changes the actualy color of the original finish. I think bmx museum should have a hardware store so we can buy directly here, thus contributing to it at the same time.

#41 2008-06-06 10:04am

Endorific
Expert

skywayray wrote:

Do you have a pic of the Minwax poly spray? sounds like fun to me. I like everything glossy.It's true what you said, cheap clear coats not only turns yellow, at times it even changes the actualy color of the original finish. I think bmx museum should have a hardware store so we can buy directly here, thus contributing to it at the same time.

Good idea on the store thing.  I usually get mine at Lowes or Home Depot since i'm usually there a few times a week, but it costs about $8.99 a can.  This ebay listing has all 3 types shown:

http://item.express.ebay.com/Industrial … xpressItem

I'm so old school...I still call it a gooseneck.

#42 2008-07-21 12:36pm

kickout

Hobby stores are a good resource for anno looking coatings as well.

metal.

#43 2011-10-02 4:38pm

cat-walk
Super Pro Member

I don't mean to dig up old threads, but this was a good one. Submerse your aluminum anodized part (completely) into draino. It takes 5-10 minutes before the anodizing is gone. If you use Oven cleaner make sure it's not the "fume free" because it stuff it doesn't work. If you leave your part in to long it will go black, hence why your chain wheel went black. Even though the color is still apparent on the aluminum part it will rinse away. 5-10 minutes only.

#44 2012-02-21 11:07am

cesa
Museum Newbie

loltonguehmmwinkyikesbig_smilesadneutralsmilemadrollcool

#45 2012-05-21 4:03pm

wcacho
Museum Newbie

Great post, good info

#46 2012-05-21 4:55pm

prolineII
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
For Sale

wow, that was a while ago big_smile

#47 2014-05-13 3:55pm

dennisdetail
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale
Website

All advice is decent here and works.  Let me advise on a little known method that works the best for removing annodizing ,  either new or faded.  On aluminum or steel. Yes steel can be done also.   The best way to remove anno  is to go to a automotive " detail supply "  for car detailings  and purchase a gallon of chrome wheel or wired wheel acid cleaner.  This is normally deluted and sprayed on chrome to clean and brighten.  When sprayed or submerging annodized parts it actually eats the coating right off within seconds or a few minutes !!!!  Safely when done correctly. 
Starters......  put some chemical resistant gloves on, spray the part down in a sink or tub.  and then I like brushing with a tooth brush and you will see it desolve right away.  ( important )  never, let the wheel acid stay on more then a few minutes or if you submerse the item in the acid dont walk away to lunch, or to sleep and think longer is better.  You will actually darken the piece and then you will have to sand and polish your error out.  All in all..... You will be amazed how easy and fast this process is when you get to know how it works by doing it a time or two.   Cheers !

Last edited by dennisdetail (2014-05-13 3:58pm)

" if you ain'nt pinning it.... you ain'nt diggin it "

#48 2014-05-15 6:48am

Notheld
Intermediate
Website

Oven cleaner etc will work but maybe a bit to strong on some metal's. What's worked
For me and can't say enough about it is Grease Lightning.  Submerge your part and 1 full day will
Typically be enough to remove the hardest Ano coatings , paint etc come off within a few hours.
Dirt cheap and the wife swears its the best cleaner for kitchens and bathrooms...lol

"If you don't work you don't eat,
                                             you don't grind you don't shine"

Board footer