New site features pushed up  RSS Feed

#1 2017-08-05 10:03am

nate
Site Guru
Bikes: 2
Website

New site features pushed up

Hey all,

Last night I pushed up a few changes and a buttload of fixes I've been working on since January (!) so there are likely a lot of little things to fix. Bear with us.

Hopefully most of them will be addressed today, but if you see anything obviously broken, holler, and I'll look into it. (Try to keep this topic focused on real bugs for now, you can kvetch in another topic about how much you hate every little change I sweated for months on!)

Right now working on:

• New post indicators not working on forum list pages (fixed)
  • Other user's signatures showing in PM threads (fixed)
  • Bumping items in Forsale acting weird (fixed)
  • Topic sub/unsub links not updating when clicked on (fixed)
  • No email notifications for new PMs (fixed)
  • Figuring out wtf caused my monitor to blow up right before doing all this work (update: suddenly works again! who knows)

Once I get the glitches ironed out, I can dive into working on more new features to push up since I'm on a roll.

#2 2017-08-05 10:06am

jokerman13922
Pro MemberIam robk's Bitch!
Bikes: 26

Re: New site features pushed up

Good shit Nate! Keep up the good work

AHOLE LIST:----> KING AHOLE BRADDLPHNS, KING MINION TXBONER AND HIS QUEEN MINION BIRD AND LITTLE MINIONS, ICEMAN, PERRONT AND FRESH (AGAIN)! DYNOBMX, MY STEPSON LIL BMXER, NEW MEMBER GTbikesIlikes, robk131313!   except Kurt-rad, and Roy Munson, And itsdug

#3 2017-08-05 10:34am

Thetrooper
Pro Member
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 15

Thanks for the updates, Nate. Well done

Looking for an 24" GT fork 87-89

#4 2017-08-05 10:51am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 57

So when I hit the "bump" button it gives me this         sad
....and yes, it's been a week. Why else would it say bump?

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/17782/bump-bss5986059d87.jpg

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/
*Shipping available to your Confirmed Paypal Address only, will not ship to a different address*

#5 2017-08-05 10:54am

nate
Site Guru
Website

I'm sure it's a bug. I added it to the list of things to fix today!

It's most likely something simple that I just missed. Pretty much every file on the site was affected, so very likely a few other things like this that will crop up.

Thanks for the screenshot & report, much appreciated.

#6 2017-08-05 11:37am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
For Sale: 57

nate wrote:

I'm sure it's a bug. I added it to the list of things to fix today!

It's most likely something simple that I just missed. Pretty much every file on the site was affected, so very likely a few other things like this that will crop up.

Thanks for the screenshot & report, much appreciated.

Right on, right on.
The site seems to be way faster now          big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/
*Shipping available to your Confirmed Paypal Address only, will not ship to a different address*

#7 2017-08-05 12:47pm

Prancing_Horse
Pro Member

Member feedback only shows one page, even for members with multiple pages hmm

Last edited by Prancing_Horse (2017-08-05 12:48pm)

#8 2017-08-05 12:53pm

Radman127
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

Back button not functioning properly. PITA. Stated doing this last week, having to use my browser history to go back to the last page viewed.

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."

#9 2017-08-05 12:58pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

Im glad Im not the only one that dislikes this.. Wonder why this thread was moved to a section no one reads...

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#10 2017-08-05 1:08pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

Heres some screen shots for ya. How are we supposed to type a message quickly with everything obscuring the page???
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/screenshot_2017-08-05-16-05-275986259d80.png
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/screenshot_2017-08-05-16-05-37598625b911.png

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#11 2017-08-05 1:35pm

butcherbobhayes
Pro Member
Website

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Lotta members are not happy with the UNNECESSARY  CHANGE. IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT.
Its making things harder for members..WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE the old system just for the sake of change???
And my thread talking about it was swept under the rug in the "what have I missed" section.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=738888

I don't see "lotta" members posting their dislike for change in your thread. They are just pointing out that some things are not working and they are frustrated by it. Change is inevitable and usually ends up for the better once the bugs are worked out. Also Nate asked that this thread be kept to actual bugs that need to be worked out. So how about you keep the thread on topic and take your bitching over to your thread.

Thanks for all your hard work Nate. I can't wait to see the end result working properly.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#12 2017-08-05 1:35pm

brackett
AdminAdministrator
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 2

butcherbobhayes wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Lotta members are not happy with the UNNECESSARY  CHANGE. IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT.
Its making things harder for members..WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE the old system just for the sake of change???
And my thread talking about it was swept under the rug in the "what have I missed" section.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=738888

I don't see "lotta" members posting their dislike for change in your thread. They are just pointing out that some things are not working and they are frustrated by it. Change is inevitable and usually ends up for the better once the bugs are worked out. Also Nate asked that this thread be kept to actual bugs that need to be worked out. So how about you keep the thread on topic and take your bitching over to your thread.

Thanks for all your hard work Nate. I can't wait to see the end result working properly.

+ 1

One thing that I have seen over and over on the BMXmuseum is members willing to tarnish the reputation of another member by leaving nasty feedback before trying to resolve a problem like a reasonable human being.

In my 6 plus years as a staff member , this pisses me off almost as much as a scammer.

#13 2017-08-05 2:00pm

nate
Site Guru
Website

Prancing_Horse wrote:

Member feedback only shows one page, even for members with multiple pages hmm

Good eye. Should be fixed. Thanks for the bug report.

#14 2017-08-05 2:02pm

nate
Site Guru
Website

Radman127 wrote:

Back button not functioning properly. PITA. Stated doing this last week, having to use my browser history to go back to the last page viewed.

Can I get more info here? Like walk me through where you clicked & what you did with browser, and what you were expecting to happen. Also if you're on a phone or desktop is helpful, and what browser you're using.

The back button might be acting a little funny since last night (like, say, jumping the screen around), but I hope to fix any issues to make the site work exactly as y'all want it to.

Just need a bit more info about what's misbehaving to make that happen.

#15 2017-08-05 2:02pm

Gatorpit boy
Pro MemberWill Work 4 Tacos

Thanks for all your hard work Nate. Some people just have to bitch about something .

#16 2017-08-05 2:31pm

RobS
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 4

When I click on the back button, scrolls to the top of the page...and, I wasn't receiving notification in my PM thing wink

Good things wait for people that happen!!

I'm no body builder, but I do 12oz tilts daily!!

#17 2017-08-05 2:39pm

New Old Schooler
Pro Member
Bikes: 30

Nate,
Not able to delete/"send to trash"
Any of my old sent pm's to open up my mail.

Blue, your my boy!!!

YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!!

#18 2017-08-05 2:59pm

nate
Site Guru
Website

New Old Schooler wrote:

Nate,

Well this is a tricky one. Prepare yourself for geek blather.

The new PM setup is much more efficient and different from the old in that it doesn't technically store a separate copy of the PM in a Sent folder, as the old one did. (Which was really inefficient and when you have 4 million rows of PMs, it means a good half of those are just duplicates: a huge useless bottleneck as well as waste of disk space). Instead there is one copy of the PM, and then separate, tiny entries that say "user #155 has PM #25243 in his Inbox folder. user #155 also has PM #25243 in their Sent folder." (and possibly in the future you could have custom folders, so I'd just add a new pointer "user #155 has PM #25243 in his folder 'stuff I need to ship' or 'deals gone south' or whatever.)

BUT! To convert the old existing PMs people had, I ended up just doing a hack that actually *did* make a copy of the Sent messages as a separate PMs. Too boring to get into the details of why that's necessary, suffice to say it was the way to go for now. I'm converting PMs as users open their inbox for the first time, instead of shutting down the site for 6 hours to run a script to convert all 4 million PMs and find the duplicates and replicate the new structure with the old data, which would avoid that hack but cause serious downtime and possible data loss.

Blah blah! I tried not to geek out there.

Anyway, I think a better solution is to just bump up the PM limits across the board by 500 or something (the new setup makes this possible), so over the next few months we can all get through this transition. And I'll also work on setting up the ability to delete older PMs that are just stored in the Sent folder, because otherwise they're just going to hang out there forever.

Thanks for pointing this out! And sorry for the hassle, I swear I'm trying to make all these things work *better*, it's just hard to work with legacy data .. a LOT of legacy data. (The old PM code was a really garbage Russian plugin for Punbb1.2 that I've put tons of hours over the last 13 years into making it not suck—this is my first attempt at writing something from the ground up that's actually built well and can get better with time.)

#19 2017-08-05 3:06pm

Raven
ModeratorRetired Action Man
Bikes: 13
Website

I am sure all these issues and concerns will be fixed in the next few days ,,It is a lot of work for one person to do ,,just need to give Nate the time he needs to do the necessary upgrades wink

This Post is .........."CHUCK NORRIS APPROVED"    [img]http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/savic666/sticker_220x200_pad_220x200_ffffff_u6.jpg[/img]     "The Quintessential 80,s Action man"

#20 2017-08-05 3:12pm

RobS
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

So, basically compressing the 2 pms too 1?

Good things wait for people that happen!!

I'm no body builder, but I do 12oz tilts daily!!

#21 2017-08-05 3:17pm

New Old Schooler
Pro Member
Bikes: 30

nate wrote:

New Old Schooler wrote:

Nate,

Well this is a tricky one. Prepare yourself for geek blather.

The new PM setup is much more efficient and different from the old in that it doesn't technically store a separate copy of the PM in a Sent folder, as the old one did. (Which was really inefficient and when you have 4 million rows of PMs, it means a good half of those are just duplicates: a huge useless bottleneck as well as waste of disk space). Instead there is one copy of the PM, and then separate, tiny entries that say "user #155 has PM #25243 in his Inbox folder. user #155 also has PM #25243 in their Sent folder." (and possibly in the future you could have custom folders, so I'd just add a new pointer "user #155 has PM #25243 in his folder 'stuff I need to ship' or 'deals gone south' or whatever.)

BUT! To convert the old existing PMs people had, I ended up just doing a hack that actually *did* make a copy of the Sent messages as a separate PMs. Too boring to get into the details of why that's necessary, suffice to say it was the way to go for now. I'm converting PMs as users open their inbox for the first time, instead of shutting down the site for 6 hours to run a script to convert all 4 million PMs and find the duplicates and replicate the new structure with the old data, which would avoid that hack but cause serious downtime and possible data loss.

Blah blah! I tried not to geek out there.

Anyway, I think a better solution is to just bump up the PM limits across the board by 500 or something (the new setup makes this possible), so over the next few months we can all get through this transition. And I'll also work on setting up the ability to delete older PMs that are just stored in the Sent folder, because otherwise they're just going to hang out there forever.

Thanks for pointing this out! And sorry for the hassle, I swear I'm trying to make all these things work *better*, it's just hard to work with legacy data .. a LOT of legacy data. (The old PM code was a really garbage Russian plugin for Punbb1.2 that I've put tons of hours over the last 13 years into making it not suck—this is my first attempt at writing something from the ground up that's actually built well and can get better with time.)

Gotcha..
Thanks for the insight and for all your work moving this site forward..

Damn, that was fast... 500 more pm space available.
cool

Last edited by New Old Schooler (2017-08-05 3:19pm)

Blue, your my boy!!!

YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!!

#22 2017-08-05 3:31pm

Backinthesaddle44
Pro Member"be careful what you ask for"

Good stuff Nate. cool

We are paid by those who learn by our mistakes ~ The Working Hour

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato

#23 2017-08-05 3:35pm

Radman127
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/218701/picture-1598647bfe8.png

nate wrote:

Radman127 wrote:

Can I get more info here? Like walk me through where you clicked & what you did with browser, and what you were expecting to happen. Also if you're on a phone or desktop is helpful, and what browser you're using.

The back button might be acting a little funny since last night (like, say, jumping the screen around), but I hope to fix any issues to make the site work exactly as y'all want it to.

Just need a bit more info about what's misbehaving to make that happen.

Looks like this:
I've only viewed page once then when I try to go back. Using a Mac Desktop with TenFourFox. Thanks.

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."

#24 2017-08-05 4:01pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 28

PC and phone working good smile

#25 2017-08-05 4:13pm

Mattman215
Pro Member"The Grey Goose"
Bikes: 4

Just a heads up.. not sure if this happened to anyone else but I checked my messages and they were all there duplicated 5 times each..

What I'd give for a early 80's 26" GT Cruiser....

Board footer

View Cart →