You are not logged in.

Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC  RSS Feed

#26 2017-01-30 6:07pm

spyker
Freakzilla
From: Shangri-La
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 10925

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

I still remember it like was yesterday when I visited Basic Bykes headquarters to buy some parts.


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

Online

 

#27 2017-01-30 7:10pm

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Pics or it never happened.


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#28 2017-01-30 7:10pm

coffin2death
Pro Member
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2011-04-29
Posts: 2957
Bikes: 1

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

I am intrigued by the canti front brake setup. I immediately though of a pic I had seen of G Sport George's cantilever fork. Was it anything like this?! .http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/64169/front-brake25890001eab.jpg


drinks montana gin
"People that don't ride with their finger on their lever suck."
YOUR LOVELY EEK AND YOUR LOVELY RIAH

Offline

 

#29 2017-01-30 7:14pm

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Routing of the cable was functionally very similar. Like a Bully Power fork, kind of. 
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/basic_forks_abrake5890011479.jpg

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-30 7:15pm)


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#30 2017-01-30 7:15pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
From: Winnipeg, Canada
Registered: 2014-04-25
Posts: 575

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

OG'89 wrote:

Pics or it never happened.

I lived there for a month, but I don't have pics to prove it. That's not what we did in 1998 (take pictures constantly).

The Basic House was replaced by the Schwinn House. I was going to live there, too, but Andrew Faris took my spot.

Offline

 

#31 2017-01-30 7:16pm

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

(I was just teasing spyker.) I know, there's a ten year span when I have barely a picture, aside from yearbooks. Nobody paid to get film developed. lol


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#32 2017-01-30 7:21pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
From: Winnipeg, Canada
Registered: 2014-04-25
Posts: 575

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

coffin2death wrote:

I am intrigued by the canti front brake setup. I immediately though of a pic I had seen of G Sport George's cantilever fork. Was it anything like this?! .http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 001eab.jpg

The first version, done in Edmonton by Big Al Mohr, featured a Cannondale Force 40 setup and went through spaghetti cable housing and came from the side. The refined version that I and others used came from the centre, as with the ugly version above. If you find the very first 20 Inch Video Magazine, you can see me being interviewed about it. It made both the Hutch version and the Bully version look silly, and worked amazingly. Too good, perhaps.

We were running this setup before 990s appeared on the front.

Offline

 

#33 2017-01-30 7:22pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
From: Woodstock, GA
Registered: 2009-03-27
Posts: 2742
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Great company.  Loved my Small Town Hick, was the first frame I ever did a custom build on.  Would love to find one again.


Looking for a late Basic Small Town Hick frame!

Offline

 

#34 2017-01-30 7:22pm

spyker
Freakzilla
From: Shangri-La
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 10925

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

No pics man.

This is what I remember.We pull up to a house and I look at my friend and asked him if the address is correct  cause all I see is a house and not a actual business.We get out,walk to the door and sure enough it is Basic Bykes when we asked the person who ansewred the door.We were led to the garage where some stuff was stored for us to purchase.I clearly remember seeing one of the sicket all chrome bike I've ever seen...still one of the nicest today if I recall.


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

Online

 

#35 2017-01-30 7:36pm

FatGuy
Pro MemberNot Big Boned
From: Woodstock, GA
Registered: 2009-03-27
Posts: 2742
Bikes: 1
Website

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27391/smalltownhick58900629a1.jpg


Only pic I have of my old STH.


Looking for a late Basic Small Town Hick frame!

Offline

 

#36 2017-01-30 7:37pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
From: Winnipeg, Canada
Registered: 2014-04-25
Posts: 575

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

spyker wrote:

No pics man.

This is what I remember.We pull up to a house and I look at my friend and asked him if the address is correct  cause all I see is a house and not a actual business.We get out,walk to the door and sure enough it is Basic Bykes when we asked the person who ansewred the door.We were led to the garage where some stuff was stored for us to purchase.I clearly remember seeing one of the sicket all chrome bike I've ever seen...still one of the nicest today if I recall.

The address is 3173 Leeward Court, Coquitlam. One of the main Coquitlam locals from back then is a real estate agent now, and he sold the house for the then-current owners a few years ago. The BMXers moved out by 2000. Probably fifteen or more Canadian legends lived there at one point or another including Cec, Darcy, Paul Buchanan, Osato, Jay, Highway, Steph Royer, Enns, and more. Even more folks slept on the floor when visiting Vancouver.

Best thing I ever saw on in that garage was the same albino real estate agent piggy-backing a thick David Osato for fifteen or thirty minutes for a bet. He got cocky with less than a minute left and tried unsuccessfully to do a squat with Dave still on his back and lost.

Offline

 

#37 2017-01-31 2:49am

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
From: West Sussex UK
Registered: 2010-04-09
Posts: 1576
Bikes: 6

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Didn't they make a Sluggo frame in brown or cream?

We had one at the shop I used to work at in '98. I remember going back to the shop about three years later and it was still there hanging on the wall.


If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

Skyways for show, spokes for go.

Offline

 

#38 2017-01-31 5:01am

ebenk
Pro Member
From: San Antonio, Texas
Registered: 2011-09-20
Posts: 114
Bikes: 4

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

They had pegs back in 91. I cant recall what they looked like, but I remember that Darcy and a few others came to the Rampage finals in Oct/Nov 91 and they had pegs with them. Not sure if they were actually considered Basic pegs or not though.

Offline

 

#39 2017-01-31 6:24am

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Link to reference section - Postman seatpost

Link to reference section - Whammy Bars

Link to reference section - 1996 catalog scans

Link to reference section - 1994 STH

Link to reference section - 1995 STH

Link to reference section - Basic Coaster shell

Link to reference section - Basic Milenium Stem

Link to reference section - Silencers

Link to reference section - Maple Leaf sprocket

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-31 6:34am)


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#40 2017-01-31 6:26am

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Great stories guys! Wade -- love the local memories! Keep 'em coming! That info on the A brake is exactly what this thread is about. FatGuy -- that STH is gorgeous.

Last edited by OG'89 (2017-01-31 6:36am)


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#41 2017-01-31 6:37am

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

ebenk wrote:

They had pegs back in 91. I cant recall what they looked like, but I remember that Darcy and a few others came to the Rampage finals in Oct/Nov 91 and they had pegs with them. Not sure if they were actually considered Basic pegs or not though.

Hey Eben -- were they deep socket pegs? Less refined than Pulse pegs?


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#42 2017-01-31 8:18am

spyker
Freakzilla
From: Shangri-La
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 10925

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

wadeaminute wrote:

spyker wrote:

No pics man.

This is what I remember.We pull up to a house and I look at my friend and asked him if the address is correct  cause all I see is a house and not a actual business.We get out,walk to the door and sure enough it is Basic Bykes when we asked the person who ansewred the door.We were led to the garage where some stuff was stored for us to purchase.I clearly remember seeing one of the sicket all chrome bike I've ever seen...still one of the nicest today if I recall.

The address is 3173 Leeward Court, Coquitlam. One of the main Coquitlam locals from back then is a real estate agent now, and he sold the house for the then-current owners a few years ago. The BMXers moved out by 2000. Probably fifteen or more Canadian legends lived there at one point or another including Cec, Darcy, Paul Buchanan, Osato, Jay, Highway, Steph Royer, Enns, and more. Even more folks slept on the floor when visiting Vancouver.

Best thing I ever saw on in that garage was the same albino real estate agent piggy-backing a thick David Osato for fifteen or thirty minutes for a bet. He got cocky with less than a minute left and tried unsuccessfully to do a squat with Dave still on his back and lost.

At the time Basic is the only place you could get the "new" Primo tenderizer pedals and they were also the only place that carried replacement axles that fit Peregrine hubs for the super pro wheels.

The Schwinn house....must have been Jay's place.


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength

Would you trust a lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?

Online

 

#43 2017-01-31 9:30am

pnj
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-09-12
Posts: 652

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

I slept on the floor of the Basic house.

I have stories....

The kind that I can't repeat. big_smile


There are no carpet queens in the woods

Offline

 

#44 2017-01-31 9:37am

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
From: Winnipeg, Canada
Registered: 2014-04-25
Posts: 575

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

pnj wrote:

I slept on the floor of the Basic house.

I have stories....

The kind that I can't repeat. big_smile

Pat, my friend, I have pictures that can't be published. Compromising ones.

Offline

 

#45 2017-01-31 11:01am

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Only a matter of time before you all spill the beans... wink


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#46 2017-01-31 12:36pm

sport123
Pro Member
From: Midschoolville
Registered: 2012-02-04
Posts: 1071

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

A friend of mine has a sluggo frame in his loft tried loads of times to get it but he ain't selling, and I'm sure it's 1-1/8th?

Offline

 

#47 2017-01-31 12:42pm

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

1 1/8" was the 2nd batch production version. Your friend should know we all want his scoot.


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#48 2017-01-31 12:47pm

OG'89
sloppy headset
From: Hamilton, Canada
Registered: 2011-09-01
Posts: 2944
Bikes: 16

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

This frame was listed by the owner as a Sluggo, but it is (according to the specs and look of it) a 1st gen. Aura (Andrew Faris sig.)

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/74011/aura5890f7db79.jpg


43! Ahahahahahaha... 43.

WTB (long-term projects): 90's Dirt Master f/f, Block f/f, anything DBI, Schwinn SuperStock, 'Dave Cullinan' Robinson f/f, anything WAL, Homeless Mack.

Offline

 

#49 2017-01-31 2:45pm

cbrstar
Expert
From: Alberta Canada
Registered: 2016-07-25
Posts: 785

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

Sorry my scanner is broken so I had to take a pic. A lil write up/ad in a 1995 issue of Ride advertising their new bars, pegs, and T shirts.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Constellation80/BMX%202/IMG_1599A.jpg

Offline

 

#50 2017-01-31 3:48pm

wadeaminute
Pro Memberwadeayear
From: Winnipeg, Canada
Registered: 2014-04-25
Posts: 575

Re: Basic Bykes Co. -- Catchall of information regarding BBC

OG'89 wrote:

This frame was listed by the owner as a Sluggo, but it is (according to the specs and look of it) a 1st gen. Aura (Andrew Faris sig.)

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … f7db79.jpg

Auras had platforms. That could be a later model Sluggo. Cecil had a coffee-cream coloured one that had that gusset.

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →